PDA

View Full Version : "Do they even have these where you live?" The regional chain restaurant thread

onimaruxlr
03-04-2010, 08:36 PM
I get frustrated not being able to talk about places to people

so to sate my curiosity

Has anyone else ever eaten at Fazolis (http://fazolis.com/)? It's a strange cross between Olive Garden and McDonalds. Good, considering how fast and (relatively) cheap it is.

Parish
03-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Fazolis is dangerous because they have people whose job is simply to walk around handing you breadsticks.

Dizzy
03-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Fazolis (the McD of Italian food) got replaced with Panda Express (the McD of Chinese food) in my area.

Both of them are very mediocre places to eat.

Brer
03-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Fazolis (the McD of Italian food) got replaced with Panda Express (the McD of Chinese food) in my area.

Both of them are very mediocre places to eat.

Heh, here the Fazoli's is about 20 feet from the Panda Express. Never eaten at the latter, but I had a good sandwich at the former once. My regional fast food chain of choice is Silver Mine Subs (http://silverminesubs.com/menu/), and for fast-casual there's always Chipotle and their awesome burritos (yeah, I know they're almost national now but they started down in Denver and I ate at the original location back before they blew up and got huge, so I still think of it as a local thing). As far as regional restaurant chains, I wish the nearest Claim Jumper (http://www.claimjumper.com/) in CO wasn't down in the southern part of the Denver Metro area.

Mr. J
03-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Yah the closest claim jumpers here is about 45 minutes away. Those lemon bars are worth the drive though... mmm...

Destil
03-04-2010, 09:20 PM
Claim jumpers and In`n Out are next to each other here. Both are pretty new, and both were crazy busy when they first opened.

I'm dirrectly in the center of a dead spot roughly the size of Arizona on Fazoli's web site.

mopinks
03-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Yah the closest claim jumpers here is about 45 minutes away. Those lemon bars are worth the drive though... mmm...

man oh man I love their salad bar and cheesecake, but all of their real food is massive and deadly and makes me feel bad about myself.

we used to have a Sammy's Woodfired Pizza (http://www.sammyspizza.com/) right by my house, and my girlfriend and I ate there every weekend. sometimes twice in one weekend! then one day it closed without warning, and we cried forever. I CURSE ALL OF YOU IN THE GREATER SAN DIEGO AREA

I have never found another lobster bisque as good as their lobster bisque.

Nicholai
03-04-2010, 09:39 PM
No Fazoli's in the Twin Cities. Rochester, MN has one apparently, so a 70 something mile drive.

Ben1842
03-04-2010, 10:07 PM
I guess In-n-out and Sonic burger are the two restaurants I can think of that are regional. Oh and I think Del Taco is only out here too, but I'm not sure.

Garrison
03-04-2010, 10:15 PM
The first harsh reality I learned while moving to Texas was that there are like two Carl's Jr.s in the state, and none of them close.

I didn't even enjoy Carl's Jr before I moved, but now I get odd cravings for their food in particular. Also, trading In-and-Out for Sonic and Whataburger is pretty okay with me.

Sheana
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
I've never seen this mythical Claim Jumper outside of the frozen food aisle, so I'll probably eat at one the moment I ever see an actual restaurant.

I haven't seen a Steak & Shake since I was a tween. I still pine for it. :(

Queen Possum
03-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I guess In-n-out and Sonic burger are the two restaurants I can think of that are regional. Oh and I think Del Taco is only out here too, but I'm not sure.

Hm. I always thought Sonic was a southeast thing. Which is to say there are a lot of them here.

Bojangles are not as prevalent in Georgia as I would like. I think they're mostly a NC/SC thing. Fortunately, one of the two in Atlanta is really close to Giant Head's house.

R.R. Bigman
03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
I have waited for a thread like this. Two of my favorite food establishments are Smokey Bones and Zaxby's, I have never seen them before moving to Chattanooga. Smokey is some of the best restaraunt eatables I have ever had.

Speaking of Fazoli's, I enjoy it, but no one else I know does, so I don't go there much.

edit: why can't I use smilies?:(

Brer
03-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I've never seen this mythical Claim Jumper outside of the frozen food aisle, so I'll probably eat at one the moment I ever see an actual restaurant.

By now I think pretty much all the western states have at least one. It started in CA, but there are quite a few in WA and OR, one in CO, a couple in ID, etc.

Luana
03-04-2010, 10:34 PM
I remember when we got a Carl's Jr. in my town. There was an insane line around the place for weeks. It was nothing like how it was when Krispy Kreme first came to Washington, though -- that was madness. It's funny looking back on that, especially since there's quite a few of them now and they all had to scale their hours back.

I didn't realize Claim Jumper was even a chain until I read this thread. You learn new things every day!

Comb Stranger
03-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Anyone ever had Potbellies? Or Primo Hoagies?

Garrison
03-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Both of those restaurants sound like insults. I think i need to go find a Potbellies.

Destil
03-04-2010, 10:41 PM

One down here if you're ever in Tucson, Google tells me there's four up Phoenix.

Come hungry, those portions are huge. The mine-cart is not meant for a single person.

We have plenty of Sonics out here, but I don't remember any from back when I lived in PA.

Red Hedgehog
03-04-2010, 10:49 PM
I miss both Barbacoa and Cafe Rio, two Utah-based "Fresh Mex" places. They're actually good, unlike Chipotle which can eat a dick.

I tried Fazoli's once and found it awful. I'd rather go to Olive Garden and that's saying something as my rants against Olive Garden are legendary.

mr_bungle700
03-04-2010, 11:25 PM
We don't have any of those places in Maine except for Panda Express (and McDonalds and Olive Garden because those are everywhere).

I feel left out!

Destil
03-04-2010, 11:46 PM
We don't have any of those places in Maine except for Panda Express (and McDonalds and Olive Garden because those are everywhere).

I feel left out!Don't you know that cultural homogeneity is the cornerstone of American culture. Do you hate America, bungle? Do you?

(I remember a family trip to Maine when I was much younger, and my sister and I wanted dairy queen when my parents wanted to go to a nice seafood restaurant and have fresh lobster. Ah, the idiocy of youth.)

onimaruxlr
03-05-2010, 12:00 AM
In your defense, the deserts at seafood joints is usually terrible

Red Hedgehog
03-05-2010, 12:17 AM

I feel left out!

Yeah but you have... that sandwich/Italian place that I eat at when I'm driving through Maine and my only option is fast food.

Marfy
03-05-2010, 03:07 AM
I have waited for a thread like this. Two of my favorite food establishments are Smokey Bones and Zaxby's, I have never seen them before moving to Chattanooga. Smokey is some of the best restaraunt eatables I have ever had.

Speaking of Fazoli's, I enjoy it, but no one else I know does, so I don't go there much.

edit: why can't I use smilies?:(

Zaxby's is decent, but there's no reason to go there if there's a Chik fil A around. I guess Chik fil A has been national for a long time now but I still think of it as local. Even in Scotland, I still crave waffle fries on Sunday.

Dadgum Roi
03-05-2010, 05:02 AM
Even in Scotland, I still crave waffle fries on Sunday.

NEVER ON SUNDAY

Bojangles has already been covered, Sonic is based out of Oklahoma IIRC but I think they mostly stick to warmer climes for obvious reasons. Cook Out is strictly NC-based AFAIK, they're probably my favorite chain. Zaxby's is okay, but I don't really crave it. Some people are nuts about it, though. We get these adoption profiles in our department newsletter at work, and one girl listed her love for Zaxby's right alongside her desire for a loving family.

Tanto
03-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Five Guys is the reason I can never leave the Mid-Atlantic United States.

Ethan
03-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Potbelly is all over Chicago. I didn't know it was regional.

Their sandwiches are mediocre. Decent cookies, though.

TheSL
03-05-2010, 08:51 AM
FYI if you're in an area without Carl Jr.'s and you're craving their food like half their restaurants are named Hardee's.

Hm. I always thought Sonic was a southeast thing. Which is to say there are a lot of them here.

There's one like every 5 miles here in Kansas City.

I guess Chik fil A has been national for a long time now but I still think of it as local. Even in Scotland, I still crave waffle fries on Sunday.

They're open on Sundays where you're from? The ones here are closed on Sundays for religious observations or something ridiculous.

Those are also all over the place here.

djSyndrome
03-05-2010, 08:55 AM
I would kill for some Happi House here in the valley. I don't know what it is about that place, but it's like crack on a plastic tray.

Balrog
03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Maybe she meant she craved waffle fries on Sunday because that's when they're closed. I do that all the time. Every Sunday we list off what sounds good for lunch and I inevitably mention "Chick Fil-A" quickly followed by "Goddamnit".

I didn't know until the other day but apparently they have Del Rancho down in Texas. You guys should go there and get a Steak Sandwich Supreme. It's king of all sandwiches.

Also, Grant is correct. Sonic is based in Oklahoma.

Reinforcements
03-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Steak & Shake is Mark Summers's (of Double Dare and Unwrapped fame) favorite burger place, true story.

Fist pound for Five Guys, though. We also have Sonic here, but Sonic isn't good. Oh, does Wawa count? Wawa is the king of convenience stores. Sheetz can suck it.

pence
03-05-2010, 09:32 AM

Ooh, ooh! Yeah, but you know what's not really a restaurant but is still awesome? Wawa. Wawa is awesome.

DemoWeasel
03-05-2010, 09:37 AM
restaurant names that sound like insults

Fuddruckers!

Marfy
03-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Maybe she meant she craved waffle fries on Sunday because that's when they're closed. I do that all the time. Every Sunday we list off what sounds good for lunch and I inevitably mention "Chick Fil-A" quickly followed by "Goddamnit".

Yeah, exactly. For the rest of the week, I forget it exists, but every fucking Sunday...

Dampe
03-05-2010, 09:45 AM
We used to have Skippers all over Idaho but sadly most of them are gone now. Long John Silver's just does not fill my need for greasy, deep fried fish like Skippers did. Their chowder was really good too.

djSyndrome
03-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Oooh, I worked for Skippers when I was in high school! It was actually pretty neat, although I got tired of smelling like third-rate flash frozen cod after a few weeks.

Patrick
03-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Potbelly is all over Chicago. I didn't know it was regional.

Their sandwiches are mediocre. Decent cookies, though.

I didn't know it was regional either. There's one right across the street from my work. You're not going to get much better than that for less than $5. It's better than Subway, anyway.

I'm a big fan of Culver's (home of the butterburger). I like their burgers more than In & Out.

Posaune
03-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Iowa is trapped between the expansion of Culver's and Sonic.

Dadgum Roi
03-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Iowa is trapped between the expansion of Culver's and Sonic.

So you're like a fast-food Belgium?

Queen Possum
03-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Yeah, exactly. For the rest of the week, I forget it exists, but every fucking Sunday...

I always thought it was amusing that McDonald's advertising campaign for their Chik-fil-a sandwich knockoff had nothing to say about it other than that you could actually buy it on Sunday. Even they knew it was shit, and you were desperate.

Pajaro Pete
03-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Hardee's and Checkers supremacy up in here.

Edit: Also, Krystal, Waffle House.
You should not ingest the food that comes from any of these places

Brer
03-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't know if you'd call this "regional", but I sometimes enjoy Fogo De Chao (http://www.fogodechao.com/) when I'm in Chicago, and it's slowly spreading to other cities as well.

Edit: Oh, and I know that Five Guys exists in both Florida and Colorado, Tanto. Break free of your geographic shackles.

The-Bavis
03-06-2010, 01:04 AM

We have one of these sort of near me. I had no idea it was a chain. It's near a similarly named place called "Novrosky's" which I went into once and quickly left when the entire building smelled of sewage. Unfortunately for Zaxby's they lose out on this association through no fault of their own.

We have a lot of these around North Texas. I ate there once or twice and I can tell you that what I ate was indeed a sandwich.

We have at least one of those around here too. I am currently in the nexus of upscale hamburger joints, so this one had to try and move in along with everyone else. Their location replaced a fast-food Japanese place I always wanted to try.

My favorite up-and-coming regional hamburger chain is Moo-Yah (mooyah.com). Which I see is just in Texas, but expanding quickly. Start a franchise closer to you with that $500K you have laying about - you won't be sorry.

Wolfgang
03-06-2010, 03:40 AM
Oh, does Wawa count? Wawa is the king of convenience stores.

Knux, I wish Wawa didn't pull out of center city Philly almost entirely. They'll make you a fresh hoagie to your order at 3am. It's their job!

Five Guys is awesome, and I don't go there nearly as often as I'd like.

You know what's good? Ikea. Sometimes I go just for the swedish meatballs, although their chicken fingers and fries are incredible. It's not exactly regional, but there's like six of them in the US.

Dizzy
03-06-2010, 04:13 AM
Holy crap you're lucky. An IKEA that sells food? That sounds AMAZING!

Ethan
03-06-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm a big fan of Ikea's grocery section, where I can buy lingonberry saft and pickled herring. I can also buy these things from the Swedish deli a few blocks from my apartment, but I still get a kick out of finding them at a furniture store.

Queen Possum
03-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Don't all Ikea have restaurants? Mmmm meatballs and lignonberry juice.

Parish
03-06-2010, 09:25 AM
This thread makes me pine for Sonic and Chic-Fil-A, aka the only fast food places I'm willing to patronize.

dangerhelvetica
03-06-2010, 09:34 AM
http://blog.timesunion.com/kristi/files/2009/10/Friendlys_logo_lg.gif

Queen Possum
03-06-2010, 09:46 AM
I ate at one of those places in Myrtle Beach. It did not live up to the name.

pence
03-06-2010, 11:54 AM
There is definitely food available at the Conshohocken Ikea, and it's pretty tasty for cafeteria food.

Also, depending on when you catch them, Wawa will make you a giant breakfast sandwich. I've even seen but never been brave enough to buy a sandwich that has pancakes for bread. It's a convenience store with a hoagie place that is 10 times better than Subway or Quiznos inside. You tell them exactly what you want on your sandwich, down to whether you want it toasted, and whether you just want the roll toasted or the whole hoagie.

Also, their soda machines have flavored syrup on separate buttons, so you can make your own vanilla coke. Or... chocolate coke. Whoa.

TheSL
03-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Hardee's and Checkers supremacy up in here.

Oh man, Checkers? I thought they all went out of business. They had the best curly fries.

Dadgum Roi
03-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Oh man, Checkers? I thought they all went out of business. They had the best curly fries.

We have Checkers here in NC.

Pajaro Pete
03-06-2010, 12:41 PM

Perhaps you should try looking for Rally's.

Wolfgang
03-06-2010, 01:17 PM

We have a bunch of Checkers here in Philly, but they aren't easily accessible. The only time I've had it was when I was exploring the neighborhoods deep south of my block once and got peckish. Are they all drive-through only? The time I went, I was sitting outside eating a bacon cheeseburger on a chilly, slightly drizzly overcast late afternoon around Halloween. It was surreal as hell.

Friendly's is all about the obscene ice cream sundaes. Their food is passable I guess, but the ice cream is what they're really about.

Daikaiju
03-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Philly does not have

Weinerschnitzel
Whattaburger
In & Out
Del Taco
Carl's Jr
Fazoli's
Cici's Pizza
Claim Jumper
Panda Express
Green Burrito
El Pollo Loco
Winchell's (Dunkin' Donuts/Tom Horton's type place i saw in LA)
Krystal
Steak & Shake (I will personally rectify this if I come into money)

We do have;
Sonic
Popeye's
Golden Corral
Primo Hoagies (it started here!)
Marathon Grill (You'd never guess it started as a greasy spoon in the Northeast)
Pei Wei
Chipotle
California Pizza Kitchen
P.F. Chang's
Famous Dave's
Sweet Lucy's (ok ok, it's not a chain, but it should be)
Elephant & Castle (first inside USA)
A&W/Long John Silver's
Nathan's
Sbarro (italian buffet, seems to be fading)
Church's
Friendly's
Checkers (aka Rally's if you head south)
Howard Johnson's
Chick-Fil-A
Crown Chicken
Five Guys
Hard Rock

We had;
Gino's (originally bought by Marriott and converted into Roy Rogers or sold to other chains. Investors are trying to bring it back)
Jack-in-the-Box (long time ago)
Roy Roger's* (Thanks for killing that Hardee's >:( )
Hardee's (died shortly after killing RR)
Fuddruckers
Rainforest Cafe
Bain's Deli (I haven't seen a Bain's anywhere of late. Is it dead?)
White Castle
Krispy Kreme (damn that embezzler to a hell of cold unsweetened donuts! Also DD swiftly took over thier locatuion to ensure they wouldn't return)
Big Boy (never liked it after they knocked down a 50's era HoJo's for one of these. It's now an IHOP)

*Roy and his perfect concept of the Fixin's Bar lives on on several interstate rest areas in the tri-state area. May they always have pickles aplenty

pence
03-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Pei Wei is an uncommon yet delicious fast casual chain that is owned by the same company that runs P.F. Chang's. I ate at the one in Springfield not long ago.

Wolfgang
03-06-2010, 01:50 PM
We do have;
Sonic
Popeye's
Golden Corral
Primo Hoagies (it started here!)
Marathon Grill (You'd never guess it started as a greasy spoon in the Northeast)
Pei Wei
Chipotle
California Pizza Kitchen
P.F. Chang's
Famous Dave's
Sweet Lucy's (ok ok, it's not a chain, but it should be)
Elephant & Castle (first inside USA)
A&W/Long John Silver's
Nathan's
Sbarro (italian buffet, seems to be fading)
Church's
Friendly's
Checkers (aka Rally's if you head south)
Howard Johnson's
Chic-Fil-A
Five Guys
Crown Fried Chicken

We have Chipotle and Friendly's? Where?

Crown Fried Chicken is the only fried chicken I can eat, now. It's like crack. Everything else has too much breading caked on, it kills the flavor. I tried the fried chicken at this one Southern/soul food place in San Francisco, The Front Porch (I think) that everyone said had the best chicken and it was like eating hot, greasy nothing. I've been spoiled.

BŁge
03-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Tim Hortons.

That is all.

Daikaiju
03-06-2010, 06:19 PM
We have Chipotle and Friendly's? Where?

Crown Fried Chicken is the only fried chicken I can eat, now.

I'm leery of Crown. Usually if they're in the neighborhood, property values have hit rock bottom or are hovering near it. the Chipotle is on City Ave, next to the new Target on Monument Rd. Pei Wei, California Pizza Kitchen and Potbelly are there too. I believe there's a Friendly's on Christopher Columbus Blvd by the Riverview theater.

ajr82
03-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Tim Hortons.

That is all.

In terms of Canadian places, I guess there's also Harvey's, but why anyone would choose to eat there given any other burger options is beyond me.

Wolfgang
03-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm leery of Crown. Usually if they're in the neighborhood, property values have hit rock bottom or are hovering near it.

Hey, there's one a block from me! And I'm doing my part to gentrify the neighborhood. But seriously, have some of their chicken, then get back to me.

benjibot
03-07-2010, 12:06 AM
Tim Hortons.

That is all.

Mysteriously one of these opened in my hometown (in West Virginia) some years ago.

Daikaiju
03-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Hey, there's one a block from me! And I'm doing my part to gentrify the neighborhood. But seriously, have some of their chicken, then get back to me.

I have. Admittedly it's good, in a EVIL (i.e. McGriddles, hot Kirispy Kremes)kind of way. Also there's one near me. I stand by my statement.

Marfy
03-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Mysteriously one of these opened in my hometown (in West Virginia) some years ago.

They're sloooowly making in roads in the US. I have been much more eager to visit the family in Buffalo ever since I discovered one there. Not that Buffalo is exactly far from Canada.

Red Hedgehog
03-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I am now wishing I could go to Wawa's.

Roy Rogers was my favorite fast food place growing up. I was always amazed in high school to find out it lived on in turnpike rest stops. I am even more amazed ten years later that it still does.

They're sloooowly making in roads in the US. I have been much more eager to visit the family in Buffalo ever since I discovered one there. Not that Buffalo is exactly far from Canada.

A New York City real estate owner got into a fight with Dunkin Donuts so he kicked out all the DDs in places he owned (about a dozen) and invited Tim Horton's in. It is so bizarre to see a Tim Horton's in NYC since I only think of them as being in border states. Too bad both their doughnuts and coffee are worse than Dunkin Donuts.

Tock
03-08-2010, 04:45 PM

Wawa might be the only thing I miss about living in the Philly area. Many a late night was fueled by an overstuffed two-foot roast beef hoagie and a half-gallon of Wawa chocolate milk. I also had a critical weakness for their cream-cheese stuffed soft pretzels which were incredibly fake and bad for you and om nom nom

Comb Stranger
03-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Don't forget the griddlecakes! Take an already unhealthy breakfast snack and inject maple syrup. Delicious!

Daikaiju
03-08-2010, 06:37 PM

Roy Rogers was my favorite fast food place growing up. I was always amazed in high school to find out it lived on in turnpike rest stops. I am even more amazed ten years later that it still does.

Why has no one grasped the concept of the Fixins' Bar? Roy's can take the time they need to flame broil en masse and let you sweat the details. Yet no one copies it.

taidan
03-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Sometime last year we got an Elevation Burger (http://www.elevationburger.com/) in the noveau-riche part of town, though apparently it's gone now. It was a tasty enough burger, but a tiny one. Five Guys is cheaper and gives you way more fixin's and fries.

Out of sheer curiosity, I've always wanted to go to a Charlie Brown's Steakhouse.

Maryland is at a weird no man's land area wherein both Wawa, Sheetz, and Royal Farms all coexist.

taosterman
03-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Dunkin' Donuts doesn't exist in the Bay Area, which makes it weird when I go anywhere else and marvel at how ubiquitous they are.

TheSL
03-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Dunkin' Donuts doesn't exist in the Bay Area, which makes it weird when I go anywhere else and marvel at how ubiquitous they are.

They play commercials all the time here but I haven't ever seen one in Kansas City.

jeditanuki
03-09-2010, 07:39 PM
I'd murder a hobo to have Whataburger in Maryland.

Nodal
03-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Del's Lemonade here isn't so much a restaurant as a (Surprise) lemonade stand. But it is delicious and frosty. My favorite easily is the grapefruit flavor.

MCBanjoMike
03-11-2010, 11:46 AM
In terms of Canadian places, I guess there's also Harvey's, but why anyone would choose to eat there given any other burger options is beyond me.

What do you have against Harvey's hamburgers? They may not be gourmet, but they're a damn sight better than the microwaved crap you get at McDonalds or Burger King seeing as how they actually start off as raw meat and are cooked on a grill while you wait.

ajr82
03-11-2010, 12:54 PM
What do you have against Harvey's hamburgers? They may not be gourmet, but they're a damn sight better than the microwaved crap you get at McDonalds or Burger King seeing as how they actually start off as raw meat and are cooked on a grill while you wait.

Every time I've eaten at Harvey's, the patty has been rubbery as a Superball and completely flavourless. I don't know what they do to the meat there, but the end product is such that I'd rather eat at McDonald's, actually.

Brer
03-20-2010, 06:24 PM
I just remembered a local chain worth championing: Big Town Hero (http://www.bigtownhero.com/). The one by Fort Lewis basically shut down when the deployment of our unit cost it almost all its business, but until then I ate there at least once a week or two and sometimes more often.