PDA

View Full Version : Metroid Prime 3, Pt. 1: Olympus and Norion

Parish
08-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Hi kids! It's your ol' pal the webmaster here with a new Fun Club endeavor. Metroid Prime 3, Corruption! I know what you're saying -- hey, jerkface, the game doesn't come out until Tuesday, and in any case we're still doing BioShock. But I hear these murderous threats and have anticipated them. I'm posting the first thread now for anyone who happens to luck into the game early, and BioShock will keep running until the end of the week. Now everyone can be happy...

...except anyone looking forward to the alternate selection, since this week is alternate-free. So sorry.

I don't want to spoil anything, info-wise, so I won't post the second and third threads until people have actually moved beyond the section this post covers.

Octopus Prime
08-26-2007, 03:47 PM
You sneaky little so-and-so!

You know full well that I'm going to be without internet for a week or so and can thus not partake in the Talkin' Time styles!

reibeatall
08-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Ok, so about the room on Norion when you have to activate the first generator, my friend and I were locked in that room and could NOT figure out how to get across to the otherside of the gap. Finally, after about 15 minutes, we figured out that you have to kill all the (seemingly endless) robots that come up when you're in the center. At that point, I felt both stupid and angry.

Issun
08-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey! 1up can't make you play Metroid Prime 3 before you get to experience BioShock. I call foul!

Mazian
08-26-2007, 10:15 PM
What little of the game I managed to play at PAX was quite fun. The controls work well.

Since I don't own a Wii, I guess I'll just wander back on out of this thread now.

Parish
08-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Hey! 1up can't make you play Metroid Prime 3 before you get to experience BioShock. I call foul!
It's cool, I'm playing it for EGM.

Zef
08-27-2007, 10:08 AM
The game comes out tomorrow down here, but I'm waiting till my trip to the US next month to get the Wii for $250 instead of $400.

Next month! Augh! http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-gonk.gif

Why must my love for Metroid be pitted against my love of savings?

marcalan
08-27-2007, 10:15 AM
The Best Buy here had an ad in the paper. In said ad was pic of MP3 and a little note Available by 2 PM on Tuesday, August 28. You bastards, you horrible, horrible bastards!

Rosencrantz
08-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Funny how people never seem to get how "shipping date" is not the same as "release date". I guess it would help if games weren't advertised as "COMING OUT ON [SHIPPING DATE]". I started mentally adding a day to each release date I see.

A good rule of thumb is that Nintendo games are usually available for purchase on Tuesdays and most non-Nintendo games on Wednesdays. A recent notable exception is Bioshock, which was shipped early and while different people got their hands on it at different times, my local Gamestop released it on a Tuesday.

juanfrugalj
08-27-2007, 01:38 PM
I really thought I would raise my $500 before Corruption was released. I even bought Prime, Echoes, and a 'cube gamepad. Bummer.

I guess I'll wait until the holidays (which will be good for my grades this semester).

sfried
08-27-2007, 07:34 PM
It's cool, I'm playing it for EGM.

Does that mean the 8.5 score was your idea?

Parish
08-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Uh... what?

MechaX
08-27-2007, 08:28 PM
Uh... what?

I know not, but it does hauntingly coincide with GameSpot's flame bai-... Erm... Review (http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/metroidprime3/review.html?sid=6177714&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot) for MP3. But I won't vent anymore on that review (If you feel strongly for Super Metroid, don't read their review for the VC version of it) or GameSpot, no matter how much I really want to.

I'll try not to spoil anything crucial.

Anyway, my friend got a copy from Wal-Mart today, and I ran through the Norion section. I personally didn't find it too hard to get used to the controls (After Morph Balling my way into everything, it took around 5 minutes to get accustomed to it), and it lends itself to the Prime series much better than the pain-inducing setup of the original Prime games. Play it on Advanced and maybe switch the A and B buttons for shooting.

Sure, the intro was Halo-esque, but it was still pretty fun to play. Although, my main complaint is that some of the cutscenes seem pretty.. bootleg in execution. Such are <i>very</i> far and few between, but when you get the game, try not to hold any scene involving an asteroid too badly against the game. It tries.

My friend fought Berserker Lord while I fought a down-to-the-wire battle with Meta Ridley, LOTR Gandolf freefall style. Again, the controls didn't really pose a problem, despite the fact that I seriously had to rush against time for the last portion of the fight.

I just got to the first two planets of the game, and the fact that it's easy to get stuck in Metroid fashion within 10 minutes of being on the planet leads me to believe that the planets will probably end up pushing double-duty for exploration. The music is quite nice and atmospheric, with some remixes to the more prominent pieces of Super Metroid.

So far, I'm liking the game much better than Echoes. But considering this is the third game in the series, the mystique that was Prime 1 is forever lost, unfortunately, and nostalgia rules the day.

Jeanie
08-27-2007, 10:02 PM
I know not, but it does hauntingly coincide with GameSpot's flame bai-... Erm... Review (http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/metroidprime3/review.html?sid=6177714&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot) for MP3. But I won't vent anymore on that review (If you feel strongly for Super Metroid, don't read their review for the VC version of it) or GameSpot, no matter how much I really want to.

What? Gamespot gave a score in a review of a Nintendo game that seems low? Never would have guessed...

Yeah I'm picking my copy up tomorrow even though I shouldn't because I don't have the funds for it.

Adrenaline
08-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Gamespot rates everything a bit lower than most other people. The complaints are just silly.

Alastor
08-28-2007, 04:16 PM
*looks at Gamespot's Super Metroid review score*
*looks at their Prime: Hunters review score*
*fully realizes why the decimal increments in scores have got to go*

noots
08-28-2007, 05:43 PM
As far as I'm concerned the game doesn't really show its true colors until you leave Norion and enter Bryyo. The environmental puzzles are great. I dig the lore, told once again through numerous scans. But the best part? NO HAND CRAMPING

Parish
08-28-2007, 05:46 PM
Really? My hand is STILL cramped from my weekend session, and I didn't even get to touch the game yesterday. The Wii remote is an ergonomic nightmare.

I do agree about the rest, though. Olympus and Norion and extremely un-Metroid-like. But once you move into the game proper, it's like hanging out with an old friend.

reibeatall
08-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Really? My hand is STILL cramped from my weekend session, and I didn't even get to touch the game yesterday. The Wii remote is an ergonomic nightmare.

I do agree about the rest, though. Olympus and Norion and extremely un-Metroid-like. But once you move into the game proper, it's like hanging out with an old friend.

So basically, the only part I played is the part that isn't like the rest of the game. Damn.

SamuelMarston
08-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I've wandered around Bryyo for maybe half an hour at this point, and it was definitely worth getting through the introductory sections. Oh, I guess I should wait till we have a thread for part 2, huh?

ringworm
08-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Wrong thread, bah.

poetfox
08-28-2007, 10:55 PM
I'm not much of a Prime fan, but my brother is, and I've been watching him play for awhile... seems like good stuff, I suppose... but the origins of this ball-based technology and doors that require a gun to open... I really can't imagine a world where such things would be invented. I mean, Samus is fairly large as a ball... do people really need to haul a ball about that size around to do things like turn on Security Overrides?

ringworm
08-28-2007, 11:00 PM
but the origins of this ball-based technology and doors that require a gun to open...
I think those thoughts were really fresh like 5 years ago. Ultimately I'm not sure any sort of explanation is really necessary or relevant. Its just a Metroid convention.

poetfox
08-28-2007, 11:05 PM
I think those thoughts were really fresh like 5 years ago. Ultimately I'm not sure any sort of explanation is really necessary or relevant. Its just a Metroid convention.
You're right, of course, but I'm having fun imagining maintenance personnel wheeling around large balls on little carts to make repairs. Also, I suppose the carts would have to have some sort of gun mounted on them.

Do the little achievement thingies actually do anything, or do you just get them to get them?

Parish
08-28-2007, 11:18 PM
They let you unlock the bonus content, galleries and stuff. Green tokens only work when they're swapped. (DEAR FRIENDS: SEND ME SOME)

The ball technology thing has always bugged me, and it's at its most ridiculous in Corruption when you're going into maintenance passages that can only be negotiated by morph ball form. Either every janitor in the galaxy can turn into a little ball, or Samus is the only person capable of repairing a broken-down device. Busy woman!

VsRobot
08-28-2007, 11:19 PM
So far I've only done the opening section, but man, what a set-piece! I kept expecting my shots to home in after I locked on, so at first I wasn't properly targeting the enemies, but after awhile it became second nature.

I'm only a small portion into the game, but I'm loving it so far. Thursday I'm off and I think I'm going to sink the whole day into Metroid Prime 3. I'm so close to the end of MGS 3, too... but MP3's lure is too strong.

ringworm
08-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Either every janitor in the galaxy can turn into a little ball, or Samus is the only person capable of repairing a broken-down device. Busy woman!
Well actually, if you look at relative size, Samus really isn't THAT small in ball-form. I think someone not in giant Chozo armor could crawl through morph ball passages fine.

Of course its all still pretty ridiculous.

Alixsar
08-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Well I still haven't gotten around to finishing BioShock despite being only a few areas away from the end, but I picked up MP3 anyway today. I finished the Norion section, and so far it's pretty good. I wouldn't call it the best game ever made or anything, but it's been enjoyable so far. And that grapple lasso is pretty great. The only thing that's disappointed me about it is that I think that the PED suit looks dumb, and that doesn't even really matter since this game is first person. Now if only I can figure out a way to get out of my college and job obligations, then I could play more. Oh well.

Also, I just thought this would be worth sharing. A friend of a friend of mine works at a Gamestop, and they sent them a MP3 demo disc. And they started playing it, and the demo just never stopped. It turns out it wasn't a demo, they had sent them a copy of the full game. They had a copy of MP3 two weeks or so before it dropped and they all took turns taking it home and beating it (that sounds bad, but you know what I mean). Aren't they lucky bastards?

You don't even need to answer, because they totally are.

Tomm Guycot
08-29-2007, 01:05 AM
So I started on Veteran difficulty. Am I a chump, or is this okay to do? Does anyone know the differences between modes?

PhoenixUltima
08-29-2007, 01:39 AM
RE tiny maintenance passages: Non-Samus folk probably have a number of pint-sized repair bots that can go into those tunnels and fix whatever needs fixing. This is the future, after all.

Am I the only one who totally dug the opening levels? Normally in these Metroid games you're all alone, but here in Corruption you've got some buddies on your side! You can even chat with some of them! Yay! It's also cool to know you're not the only kind-hearted bounty hunter running around kicking evil's ass.

Crested Penguin
08-29-2007, 04:12 AM
I expected to really not like having the other hunters around, but now that things have opened up and I see the role that they play in the game, I'm happy. It's funny that Retro decided to make this game follow the mold of Fusion (mission structure, strictly separated sections of the game, NPC interaction) more than any of the other ones, but I'm happy with it.

A bit odd taking orders from a big Mother Brain though. I imagine Samus glaring through her visor whenever Aurora's hologram pops up.

Friend tokens: Neat idea, god I need someone on my friends list to exchange them with so I can get the silly bonus stuff. I am so intrigued by these "Dioramas" even though I'm sure they're about 10 seconds of entertainment.

juanfrugalj
08-29-2007, 05:53 AM
It's, like, the fourtieth century. I'm sure they have some Farscape-esque robots to do their maintenance. Unless you actually meet maintenance people in the game.

The-Bavis
08-29-2007, 06:04 AM
It's, like, the fourtieth century. I'm sure they have some Farscape-esque robots to do their maintenance. Unless you actually meet maintenance people in the game.

You do, and they are very busy welding giant metal plates to nothing.

I haven't finished Norion yet, but so far I am enjoying the game. Even though I was/am excited about being able to point-and-aim, I am having a hard time breaking out of my apparently hard-wired lock-on dependence that has kicked in from the first two games. A few times I've found myself thinking, "c'mon, that thing should be long dead!" to realize that I have been shooting off into space for quite some time while strafing around like a real tool.

My only other problem is that the reticule/sights/cross-hair kind of gets lost in the mix some times. Lots of red on screen it seems like and then the cross-hair turns red and I lose track. I'm sure I will adjust to all of this.

Also, I am trying to force myself to not scan so much stuff. I recall from the other two games that this becomes a real painful OCD burden later in the game. Trying to accept not getting anywhere close to 100% scans, but still trying to do enough to get the whole story. I mean really, I was scanning landing beacons! Ugh!

So I started on Veteran difficulty. Am I a chump, or is this okay to do? Does anyone know the differences between modes?

I wondered the same thing, but decided I'd go with Normal and then get a machismo boost from putting the controls on "Advance" to feel better about it all.

juanfrugalj
08-29-2007, 06:27 AM
Maybe the maintenance people handle the welding jobs, and they operate the little robots by radio.

It's still less silly than a Samus-only duct.

The-Bavis
08-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Maybe the maintenance people handle the welding jobs, and they operate the little robots by radio.

I agree with that. As in all things sci-fi, a little suspension of disbelief greatly increases enjoyment. Without it, it is very easy to get caught up in the door shooting mechanic, missile storage quandary, and loads of other nonsense. It's better to just turn off the old brain and have fun.

Merus
08-29-2007, 08:11 AM
There's someone at Retro who worries about that stuff: the previous Prime games explained that the shooty-doors mechanic was so that they'd still be easy to open but wild animals wouldn't get in. This doesn't explain why they'd make doors that can only be opened with power bombs, however.

ringworm
08-29-2007, 10:21 AM
There's someone at Retro who worries about that stuff: the previous Prime games explained that the shooty-doors mechanic was so that they'd still be easy to open but wild animals wouldn't get in. This doesn't explain why they'd make doors that can only be opened with power bombs, however.
Well, if you scan those doors I believe it will tell you that its locked by a really strong material that needs a super-strong explosion to destroy. Power Bombs happen to be the item in Samus' arsenal that fits that description.

Daydreamer
08-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Well, if you scan those doors I believe it will tell you that its locked by a really strong material that needs a super-strong explosion to destroy. Power Bombs happen to be the item in Samus' arsenal that fits that description.

But the question still stands. Assuming regular doors open with regular non-explosive, and therefore (mostly) controlled and safe, arm cannon fire, then why make a door that only opens during a local thermo-nuclear event?

ringworm
08-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Well if you watch the graphics when you do it, you'll see that you aren't "opening the door" so much as "shattering a lock" that someone presumably had put on the door.

Tomm Guycot
08-29-2007, 11:53 AM
No seriously guys. Help me out here.

ringworm
08-29-2007, 12:01 PM
No seriously guys. Help me out here.
If you're talking about the level difficulty to choose, I dunno. I like to think I'm a Metroid veteran but I still went with Normal, and while I haven't exactly had any problems so far that weren't control-learning-curve related, I have been having a lot of fun.

Parish
08-29-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm assuming enemies deal more damage in Veteran while soaking up more themselves. As tedious and drawn-out as the boss fights are, I can't imagine that would be anything like fun.

Zef
08-29-2007, 12:24 PM

As far as I can remember, way back from Prime 1, the width of Samus' Morph Ball form is at least half her full height. If you stand next to a ball tube, it still shows up on your visor keeping a horizontal level, and if you morph, the camera shows you Samus' whole body a split-second before she rolls up, showing her relative size to the duct.

So I guess the Morph Ball ducts are pretty much like vents IRL. That is, they're only meant as ventilation and maintenance shafts, and people can easily crawl into them if the need arises.

poetfox
08-29-2007, 12:29 PM
As far as I can remember, way back from Prime 1, the width of Samus' Morph Ball form is at least half her full height. If you stand next to a ball tube, it still shows up on your visor keeping a horizontal level, and if you morph, the camera shows you Samus' whole body a split-second before she rolls up, showing her relative size to the duct.

Assuming the various soldiers in 3 aren't like teeny tiny people, that's gotta be true. Morph Ball Samus was basically up to their waists.

Tomm Guycot
08-29-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm assuming enemies deal more damage in Veteran while soaking up more themselves. As tedious and drawn-out as the boss fights are, I can't imagine that would be anything like fun.

That settles it. I'm starting over.

...time to rescan a ton of things.

Do the random things ("Generator A is not receiving power!") count toward my scan percentage, or is it only things that get added into the Logbook?

Do I earn achievements for non-logbook scans?

alexb
08-29-2007, 03:12 PM
I think it only counts when you get a token for doing it. This is from playing the game for maybe an hour, though. So far, I'm really enjoying the interaction with the environment. At first, I had the controls on Standard, but you had to be too deliberate to turn, so I moved over to Advanced. Then, I was bobbing all over the place, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. It seems to make you a lot more agile, this way. Also, so far, the bounty hunters seem surprisingly interesting, even if they all scream "Halo-knock-off." The little scene where you take your orders from Commander Keyes, er, Commander Dane, where the metamorph impersonates Samus, was good for an amused grunt.

Daydreamer
08-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Bounty hunters. We don't need their scum.

EDIT: Fiddling around with the settings, but I can't figure out how to change the control scheme to Advanced. Help?

alexb
08-29-2007, 06:30 PM
It's under Sensitivity, I believe.

Tomm Guycot
08-29-2007, 07:00 PM
I think it only counts when you get a token for doing it.

But I need to know which ones give you tokens.

Jeanie
08-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey so I got the game today, just started and took a break at when you get the Command Visor. I have one Friend Token, if someone wants to trade me send me a PM, my Wii code is 7178 2748 5460 8817.

juanfrugalj
08-29-2007, 07:46 PM

So you didn't like the Boss Fights...

The-Bavis
08-29-2007, 08:43 PM
But I need to know which ones give you tokens.

Is there a way to tell from the colors? Is red everything important and blue (not creatures) the "unnecessary" stuff? Kinda seems that way to me, but I didn't really put this hypothesis to the test.

MoltenBoron
08-29-2007, 09:02 PM
Is there a way to tell from the colors? Is red everything important and blue (not creatures) the "unnecessary" stuff? Kinda seems that way to me, but I didn't really put this hypothesis to the test.

I believe red is for creature scans, blue is for lore scans, yellow is for beating bosses (and apparently you can re-acquire the yellow ones by beating the same bosses over at higher difficulty levels), and green ones you get from friends. I also got one last night for hitting 100 kills, but i can't remember what color that one was.

alexb
08-29-2007, 09:18 PM
It's yellow.

Jeanie
08-29-2007, 11:13 PM
I just beat Meta-Ridley so I guess I'm done with this part of the Fun Club. Awesome fight, I almost didn't make it as I was down to around 500m when I did beat him. Also I got the reward for 100 kills, it was a green Friend Voucher. So that's two if anyone wants to trade.

Balrog
08-30-2007, 08:39 AM
I just started playing this last night and I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with it. Is it just me or does it feel less Metroid-ish to have other people around?

Also, Norio~n.

The-Bavis
08-30-2007, 11:37 AM
I just started playing this last night and I've got to say I'm pretty impressed with it. Is it just me or does it feel less Metroid-ish to have other people around?

Also, Norio~n.

I agree, but it's not too bad. After you move out of Norion (which I'm not that far past myself), the usual feeling of solitude returns.

I believe red is for creature scans, blue is for lore scans, yellow is for beating bosses (and apparently you can re-acquire the yellow ones by beating the same bosses over at higher difficulty levels), and green ones you get from friends. I also got one last night for hitting 100 kills, but i can't remember what color that one was.

I meant the color of the item you are about to scan through the visor view, not the medallion you earn.

Daydreamer
08-30-2007, 11:41 AM
The solitude does come back after Norion, and I have to say I like how they handle it. Seeing the various 'bioforms' iced-up on Bryyo subtle reinforces the roles of the other bounty hunters without jeopardizing the lonely, solo explorer vibe.

Tomm Guycot
08-30-2007, 12:23 PM
Daydreamer--post in the appropriate thread. Geez.

So I started over and I'm past Norion now. I discovered the difference between Normal and Veteran...

...in Veteran, blowing up a boss's shoulder doesn't inundate you w/ health powerups. Now Normal feels brokenly easy. : /

Oh well, such is life.

ringworm
08-30-2007, 12:27 PM
How are all you slowbies adjusting to the controls? Are you all playing it on the Advanced (ie "Proper") setting? I've mentioned that it took me awhile to really get into the swing of it, especially in chaotic situations, and I'm wondering if my experience is normal.

Calorie Mate
08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
I only got to play a little yesterday, so I just landed on Norion. I skipped Prime 2, so it feels really good to be back in the swing of things (although I immediately remembered hating this intense need to scan everything, because I NEED TO SCAN EVERYTHING). I enjoyed the intro, and it was cool to see other Hunters and be on a space station. It was kind of fun to go, "Hey, I guess Samus doesn't just go around being alone all the time."

After my short time playing this, I'm of the opinion that this game should have been Wii's launch title. It really proves the Wii Remote concept to me more than any single game has.

Edit: To answer your question, I adjusted to the controls almost immediately. I think a year's worth of mental preparation on how it should work (re: exactly how it does) is probably accountable for that.

Tomm Guycot
08-30-2007, 03:16 PM
I NEED TO SCAN EVERYTHING).

You don't, though.

Only Creatures, Lore, and Research (Metroid Items - doors, pickups, etc) need to be scanned. Nothing else goes into your logbook and thusly none of it counts.

Also, I hate saying this, but I REALLY REALY hope they port Prime and Echoes to Wii.

I can't play them the old way.

alexb
08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
After my short time playing this, I'm of the opinion that this game should have been Wii's launch title. It really proves the Wii Remote concept to me more than any single game has.

Thing is, at that point, it was probably a half-cooked mess, which is presumably why we got it 9 months later.

Calorie Mate
08-30-2007, 05:24 PM
You don't, though.

Only Creatures, Lore, and Research (Metroid Items - doors, pickups, etc) need to be scanned. Nothing else goes into your logbook and thusly none of it counts.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I need to scan everything. It's a sickness, but there we are.

Thing is, at that point, it was probably a half-cooked mess, which is presumably why we got it 9 months later.

Oh, I'm sure that's the case. I just meant, in my perfect world, they would have launched the game we have now back then. Man, it would have been awesome.

Daydreamer
08-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Edit: To answer your question, I adjusted to the controls almost immediately. I think a year's worth of mental preparation on how it should work (re: exactly how it does) is probably accountable for that.

Has anyone else tried swapping Jump to A and Fire to the B-trigger? I mean come on, how can you have a pointer driven FPS with jump set to the trigger? Its not right.

Kishi
08-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I get the feeling pulling up on B upsets the position of the Remote in my hand more than pushing down on A does, and the "authenticity" of using a trigger button to shoot can't match the practical importance of accuracy in aiming.

Parish
08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Actually, I tried that from the very outset and quickly found it doesn't work. The way you hold the Wii remote doesn't offer enough leverage for your index finger -- your thumb is much more effective for rapid-firing at foes (a necessity, given how much damage they can soak up).

Jeanie
08-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Really? I found I can rapid fire the trigger faster than I can the A button. Also I don't think I ever noticed the pulling motion from the trigger offsetting my aim, besides if you're screwing up the aim that badly, maybe a break is needed. And wouldn't the A button have the opposite effect (pushing down instead of pulling up)?

alexb
08-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Ah, yes, more authentic! Because Samus steadies her blaster by placing her hand on top of it to reduce recoil when firing.

Calorie Mate
08-31-2007, 12:04 AM
I just kept jump set to B and fire set to A, until Samus kept running straight off of ledges, firing confusedly as she fell. Jumping with A and firing with B is apparently more natural to me.

The-Bavis
08-31-2007, 06:37 AM
I also tried switching the A & B at the start. I quickly changed those around when things started heating up. To each his own.

I think the problem with the B button is that with it being the most forward button, when you press it, it is more difficult to keep your aim. The A button presses down basically against your entire hand, which allows you to keep it in place better.

ScrambledGregs
08-31-2007, 08:42 AM
Impressions after finishing up Norion late last night:

--The controls are everything I hope a Wii FPS could be. It feels a little floaty at first; by this I mean you don't just aim straight ahead, Samus is seemingly always moving slightly to a different direction (the crosshairs, not Samus herself).

--At a few parts I was thinking "is this Halo??" but the game quickly sidestepped it, thank god.

--I got stuck at the part where you have to unlock the green and red/orange dragon-looking seals because I kept thinking I had to jump over the morph ball tracks and transform, midair, to land in them. I guess I'm just stubborn like that.

--I didn't expect a Ridley fight so early in the game, and it was (in best Shane voice) briiiiillliant. Was this an homage to the part in Lord of the Rings where Gandalf and the Balrog are falling down that huge pit??

--I keep forgetting to use the PED. I guess I'm not used to the whole 'Phazon' shit since I only got through a third of Metroid Prime 1 and never played the second, but I always end up using missiles and wondering why I'm not doing much damage to enemies and then I'm like "oh yeah, I have that 'Fuck Shit Up' mode."

--Does the game strike anyone as...less Metroid-y?? This is just one man's opinion, but when I think of Metroid games I think of solitary, lightly unsettling journeys into alien territory. Prime 1 nailed this atmosphere, but I've never felt unnerved or lonely in Prime 3. Something about going into Samus's ship, which looks like a Predator ship. Something about TALKING to humans/other bounty hunters. Something about having those giant computer brain things talk to you. It all adds up to an experience that, while still awesome, is a little outside what I consider a 'true' Metroid experience. Maybe I'm just being too conservative??

Parish
08-31-2007, 10:32 AM
Does the game strike anyone as...less Metroid-y??
Only through Norion. Then it turns into Metroid Fusion.

ringworm
08-31-2007, 01:14 PM
Only through Norion. Then it turns into Metroid Fusion.
It's interesting that I never realized it until you mentioned it, but it is quite a bit like Fusion. I would argue that its a better Fusion than Fusion was, since it hides the rails a little better and there's more room for random romping, but yeah Corruption is the Fusion to Metroid Prime's Super Metroid. I wonder if that was intentional.

ScrambledGregs
08-31-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm torn on the issue of linearity vs. non-linearity in Metroid games. I think non-linearity works best in the 2D entries because it's less frustrating and time consuming to backtrack in them. Something about exploring in a 3D space still confounds me, and it's twice as annoying when I'm not sure if I simply suck at platform jumping/bomb jumping or if I'm not supposed to go there yet. Or even at all.

Parish
08-31-2007, 03:49 PM
I would argue that its a better Fusion than Fusion was... Corruption is the Fusion to Metroid Prime's Super Metroid.
Aw, you just re-wrote my EGM review text :(

The Fusion elements work better here because it's not as draconian about blocking off previous areas. It was maddening to be railroaded constantly in Fusion, but Corruption does a pretty good job about keeping that sort of intrusive design to a minimum. It locks you in smartly -- for instance, there were a few spots where I was in the room in which I supposed to collect an important item but didn't immediately grasp the solution and assumed I needed to do something else first. But I was shut in the room and had to suss out the answer before I could leave, which kept me from wasting hours on fruitless backtracking. GG RETRO

Octopus Prime
08-31-2007, 04:39 PM
I find it to be more of some kind of freakish mixture of Prime 1, Hunters and Fusion.

Except without any of the drawbacks of any of those games.

I am rather pleased with it good sir(s) and/or lady(ies)

Niku
08-31-2007, 05:15 PM
HI GUYS I AM LATE TO THE PARTY BUT I LOVE THIS GAME AND ALSO I WOULD SO BUY PRIME 1 AND 2 RE-RELEASED FOR WII WITH THESE CONTROLS PROVIDED THEY WERE PACKAGED TOGETHER IN ONE BOX OR ON ONE DISC.

Mostly because like many of us, I never played MP2 and even now have no particular desire to do so. The setting / theme of the game just does not appeal to me at all for some reason.

I really like the two dioramas I have bought so far. They're kinda like the bottlecap figures from RE4, but I do wish I could zoom in as far as I liked to see neat little details and so forth.

Also Samus' ship? TRICKED OUT with bumper stickers. :D

Patrick
08-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey, I guess this is my first post here. I meant to post in the Super Metroid Fun Club, but it closed the same night I beat the game. I've been lurking here for a while (arg, I hate that term!), and you guys are all cool beans.

Corruption does definately have a Fusion vibe. Ice Missles, ledges to grab on, a computer telling you what to do. I like it though, it fits really well. Also, did anyone else notice that they simplified and streamlined the powerups? There's only one beam, and the visors are so far restricted to scanning and occasionally calling your ship to do something. Hypermode sort of complicates things, but it's tied in pretty closely to the story. I guess that's for another thread...

I like all of the scripted segments because they move things along at the start, but then once Bryyo opens up the focus moves back to exploration. The Olympus/Norion part is really just a glorified opening segment, it's not indicative of the whole game.

My only complaint so far is that it seems like the powerup hiding places are all pretty obvious. I hope it gets a little more difficult to find as the game goes on.

Kishi
09-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Has anyone else tried messing around with the communications device in Samus's ship? It seems like it'd be a good place to put an Easter egg message that's unlocked with a certain combination.

Andrew
09-01-2007, 01:51 AM
Aw, you just re-wrote my EGM review text :(

The Fusion elements work better here because it's not as draconian about blocking off previous areas. It was maddening to be railroaded constantly in Fusion, but Corruption does a pretty good job about keeping that sort of intrusive design to a minimum. It locks you in smartly -- for instance, there were a few spots where I was in the room in which I supposed to collect an important item but didn't immediately grasp the solution and assumed I needed to do something else first. But I was shut in the room and had to suss out the answer before I could leave, which kept me from wasting hours on fruitless backtracking. GG RETRO

Totally happened to me just before I got the Seeker Missiles.

"Well, looks like nothing's here."
(tries to backtrack)
"Eh? I'm stuck...? So, either this is a bug, or, more likely, there *is* something I need here..."

...then I eventually figured it out.

Has anyone else tried messing around with the communications device in Samus's ship? It seems like it'd be a good place to put an Easter egg message that's unlocked with a certain combination.

Nothing unlocked, but it's cool how it tracks all your kills, shots fired, use of hypermode, and % as you go.

alexb
09-01-2007, 02:29 AM
Anybody else noticed how completely extraneous and unnecessary to the narrative the entirety of MP2 is? You could have said that this took place six months after MP1 and you wouldn't find anything out of place.

Kishi
09-01-2007, 02:36 AM
Echoes did establish the "character" of Dark Samus, who's apparently commanding the Space Pirates in this one.

alexb
09-01-2007, 02:45 AM
What character? It's a mute doppelganger that inhabits Samus's Phazon Suit from MP1. It was more or less introduced in the 100% ending in MP1. The events of MP2 add very little to the backstory.

Lakupo
09-01-2007, 03:01 AM
Since control discussion primarily seems to be here...

I think the biggest universal (my thumb is better at rapid fire than my index finger, but that's not true for everyone) argument against switching A and B is that putting jump on A makes it more difficult to jump/jump-strafe and fire missles at the same time. That's probably the primary reason why Retro put jump on B, to keep the two weapon buttons together.

ScrambledGregs
09-01-2007, 06:42 AM

The first time you're sitting in her ship, I kept futzing with other combinations hoping I would hear a hidden message or activate a prank call to the Space Pirates. To no avail.

Kishi
09-01-2007, 07:32 AM
I finished the game a little while ago, and then I immediatley started anew on a harder difficulty, just to mess around a little. When Samus is prompted by the Olympus to input her code, I took note of the pattern and then input it a second time, expecting another bit from the Olympus, only to hear some dude chatting to me in Japanese!

I've been able to reproduce this several times, including starting different games on different difficulties, and the code and message are always the same. You can even listen to it before the Olympus asks you to identify yourself. Here it is now for you all to try as well:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/corruptionegg.png

poetfox
09-01-2007, 07:42 AM
I finished the game a little while ago, and then I immediatley started anew on a harder difficulty, just to mess around a little. When Samus is prompted by the Olympus to input her code, I took note of the pattern and then input it a second time, expecting another bit from the Olympus, only to hear some dude chatting to me in Japanese!

I've been able to reproduce this several times, including starting different games on different difficulties, and the code and message are always the same. You can even listen to it before the Olympus asks you to identify yourself. Here it is now for you all to try as well:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/corruptionegg.png

Is this what you're talking about? (http://kotaku.com/gaming/clip/iwata-prank-calls-samus-leaves-dirty-message-294507.php)

Kishi
09-01-2007, 07:44 AM
I found it myself, though.

Jeanie
09-01-2007, 08:10 AM

From *shudder* Gamefaqs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/code/928517.html):

From left to right: Press the second symbol, the seventh symbol, the fifth symbol and then the first symbol.

This is a message from Iwata, in Japanese.

Also: press the eighth symbol, the third symbol, the fifth symbol and then the fourth symbol.

This is a message from Miyamoto, also in Japanese

ScrambledGregs
09-01-2007, 08:29 AM
My dream is that you can somehow activate a self destruct system by putting in the right (wrong??) combination of those, and it'll do the countdown like a Predator's wrist computer.

Garlo
09-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I went to Blockbuster to pre-order the game the day before yesterday, since I knew that the game would not arrive here in Mexico for at least a a week or two. I decided against preordering when they told me it would arrive in a month. A whole month! GAME NERD ANGST!

So, having nothing to do yesterday, I went again to rent a movie. And they had the game on the shelves. First time I pay 73 dlls for a game in my life, but, oh so worth it so far. I haven't played Echoes yet, but enjoyed a lot the first Prime and liked Hunters more than it deserved to be liked. I wonder why there seems to be a lot of people that have not played Echoes? I'm not entirely sure why I have not made an effort to play it.

When I played the awful Red Steel I kept accidentally pressing A to shoot. Now in Metroid, during the first few minutes, I kept pressing B to shoot. I still don't know what the hell, but yeah, I feel A is better.

Patrick
09-01-2007, 04:57 PM
If you press the third, sixth, fourth, then eighth button, then you get to hear part of the soundtrack in acoustic guitar, then some guy talking in Japanese. It's pretty bizarre.

alexb
09-01-2007, 11:09 PM
That's the game's composer, Kenji Yamamoto. Cool. I'd heard about the Miyamoto and Iwata messages, but not his.

Kishi
09-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Ah, he's playing the main theme from Echoes! That's great.

alexb
09-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Did anyone notice the four bars at the top of Samus's visor? They give you a readout of how much battery power your Wii remote has.

VsRobot
09-02-2007, 01:00 AM
Did anyone notice the four bars at the top of Samus's visor? They give you a readout of how much battery power your Wii remote has.

That is so fucking awesome. Samus better than Mister Chief CONFIRMED.

Kishi
09-02-2007, 01:06 AM
It took my batteries dying for me to figure out what they were for.

Jeanie
09-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Same here.

Kishi
09-02-2007, 02:32 AM
Another little thing I noticed while going through the opening stages of my second game: If you repeatedly fire upon any of the defenseless technicians on the Olympus, a Halberd-class turret will deploy with a warning to "stand down." If you choose to destroy the turret, a "level two" turret with rapid-fire capabilities will replace it. Destroy that, and you'll face level three, which fires a charged shot that instantly kills you.

Fun stuff.

Octopus Prime
09-02-2007, 04:14 AM
I knew that shooting at technicians caused a turrent to pop out, but progressively stronger turrents? That's awesome!

Zef
09-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Well, I bought the game on Monday, even though I don't have a Wii yet. Augh! Another month of waiting. Meanwhile, I tried it at a friend's place yesterday, got as far as unlocking the Command Visor after the bridge battle, and GOOD GOD what a horrible month of waiting it will be.

Unlike many people here, I took to the Advanced setting like a fish to dry land. Apparently, my hands "center" naturally, so Samus was constantly turning to her left when idle. Aiming was also disastrous even with the Lock-On, as I kept losing the little green reticule amid the explosions and flashing enemies. However, I reverted to the Standard sensitivity and it was glorious. Not having the fixed-lock from previous Primes definitely made battles much more interesting, even as I tried my old combat techniques from those games. On the other hand, is it me or is it easier to pelt the enemies with normal shots and missiles than to actually hit them with Charged blasts?

I forget who said it during that 1up Yours podcast, but the title screen's main theme is indeed AWESOME. It references the Prime games and then ends with an homage to the original Metroid. In fact, the music throughout sounds much more memorable and livelier than in the preceding installments. Nice to listen to the remixed Space Pirate Battle theme, too.

Finally, I don't know if it's because I tried it out in the company of friends, but there was plenty of humor hidden in the game. For once, I discovered Morph Ball and Spring Ball right there at the docking bay, and gleefully bounced all over the place and over the railing, right off the ship. Whee! Later on, at the landing pad in Norion, I actually leapt back when I walked closer to a turret to see what it was shooting at, and enemy fire blew it up in my face. But the absolute best part was after defeating the Berserker Lord...

B. Lord: [slams against the docking bay's forcefields, electrocutes himself, falls through and towards the planet]

Me: Oh, great. We're gonna be seeing him again.

[A Federation ship crashes into B. Lord in a giant explosion]

Friends: [hysterical laughter]

Me: .......ah.

Andy
09-03-2007, 03:01 AM
I guess this is a little past time, but it's not locked yet so I'll post anyway. I started on veteran and I do think I'm dying a bit more than I would have otherwise but that's mostly because I don't use the PED suit enough. It's not that bad, you do still get energy during boss fights, but not that often, I've found myself just trying to stay alive long enough to fill more than an energy tank to be able to use the PED.

The only thing that I'm a little disappointed in so far is that the preview channel videos aren't actually in the game, there's just a text version. I guess that makes it useful to keep them around on your computer or something.

Tomm Guycot
09-03-2007, 10:52 AM
I wish I had stayed on Veteran. I just don't die very often.

I guess this is a little past time, but it's not locked yet so I'll post anyway. I started on veteran and I do think I'm dying a bit more than I would have otherwise but that's mostly because I don't use the PED suit enough. It's not that bad, you do still get energy during boss fights, but not that often, I've found myself just trying to stay alive long enough to fill more than an energy tank to be able to use the PED.

The only thing that I'm a little disappointed in so far is that the preview channel videos aren't actually in the game, there's just a text version. I guess that makes it useful to keep them around on your computer or something.

Merus
09-03-2007, 11:22 AM
If Metroid Prime 3 is anything like the other 2 (and I have no way of knowing thanks again for the shafting Nintendo) there'll be plenty of places later on to get killed. Then again, Prime had one really nasty upswing in difficulty and Echoes mostly confined its difficulty to around bosses, so maybe they won't.

ringworm
09-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I died once at the first Seed boss. I didn't die again, although a couple of bosses were very close, including one "boss" event that I survived with 22 health. I hadn't saved or hit a checkpoint in awhile before that so my heart was really racing on that one.

Tomm Guycot
09-03-2007, 12:58 PM
I died once at the first Seed boss. I didn't die again, although a couple of bosses were very close, including one "boss" event that I survived with 22 health. I hadn't saved or hit a checkpoint in awhile before that so my heart was really racing on that one.

Was it the one where you get the gun after?

ringworm
09-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Since its on the planet you go to after you're done with Elysia, I'm hesitant about talking about it here. White text, go!

It was the event on the Space Pirate Homeworld before getting the Nova Beam. Where you had the giant drilling laser in the middle of the room and a bunch of Commando Pirates spawning every so often. I kept taking them out too quickly with hypermode. I probably did 8-10 waves of them before figuring out that I needed to knock them into the suction thingee, which I figured out completely by accident.

Tomm Guycot
09-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Correct. That's exactly what I was referring to. Same experience I had.

ringworm
09-03-2007, 10:09 PM
I already really miss playing this game, so started up a new game this time on Ultra-Hyper-What-The-Fuck-Is-Wrong-With-You Mode. I find myself having to be really serious about every single random encounter. So intense!

Kishi
09-03-2007, 10:17 PM
I went through the first time on Normal, then again on Normal, thinking I would pick up all the scans and such I'd missed before moving on to a harder difficulty. But while going through the second time, I gradually found out about new things, particularly Achievements, that I'd missed again. So, for my third game, I've said heck to it and just moved up to Veteran, which should then prepare me for Hypermode.

Balrog
09-05-2007, 07:15 AM
I just finished Norion last night. I need to buckle down and finish this game. Persona 3 and COD4 beta, get in the back seat!