PDA

View Full Version : The Top Chef Thread

Sven
04-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Because Masters season two hits this week.

SUSUR LEE~! The awesomely annoying French guy who couldn't cook a quesedilla last time~! Many more that I don't remember~! Susur Lee~!

Kylie
04-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Ludovic LeFebvre?

Man, that guy was an asshole. And, if previews are anything to judge by, still is.

Imagine that, a french chef acting like a jerk. At least Hubert Keller stayed civil.

Also, that unfortunate Molecular Gastronomy dork is back! That fellow is talented, and cooking with science means plenty of spare time for his fanfiction. I am totally secretly rooting for this dude.

Sven
04-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I downloaded it this morning - who knows when FNC's going to show it, even with a prominent Toronto-based chef involved - but haven't had a chance to watch yet. I heard they tinkered with the format to shorten the season, which sucks.

Bergasa
04-08-2010, 02:49 PM
How does Top Chef Masters differ from vanilla Top Chef?

Kylie
04-08-2010, 06:16 PM
The chefs are (generally) not assholes, and rather than having to choose from between nine abortive failures of dishes, the judges get to try nine different examples of pure genius.

The chefs help each other out -- it's the same format, but everybody participating really is top of their field, and incredibly professional.

Top Chef is an exercise in petty drama. Top Chef Masters is a culinary exhibition.

Sven
04-09-2010, 07:46 AM
How does Top Chef Masters differ from vanilla Top Chef?

Instead of a collection of (generally) asshole-ish sous chefs competing to be famous, it's a group of well-known, respected chefs doing the same type of challenges. The first thing the six finalists did last year, for instance, was the relay race, which is amusing when you figure the last time most of them did basic prep like that was about 30 years earlier.

It's far more of a straight competition, without the reality show famewhoring bullshitm and since the chefs are better, there's less screwups.

That Bravo ordered a second season ASTOUNDED me. This show couldn't be less like what they normally promote (well, aside from the disproportionately high ratio of GBLT chefs... well, G and L, at least - that's normal Bravo).

Also, it's all for charity, which means no one gets particularly annoyed by losing.

Oh, and most importantly - there's an objective judging system. Not that I mind Tom acting as the voice of god, but doing it by a straight numerical score is much better. No bickering at judges table, just straight critiques of the food (albeit by a less entertaining judges' panel, since Tom's not there very often).

And last season's finale was the best thing ever associated with the Top Chef name. Keller v Chiarello v Bayless was awesome, awesome stuff.

However, this season started on a bit of a downer - the episode wasn't all that great.

Kylie
04-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Anything with Bayless in it is great. HE could have a show reading the telephone book.

But yeah, ep 1 -- not so amazing. A little more ego than I expected, plenty of GBLT (although, to be fair, GBLT is prominent in the culinary community, as it is sort of famous as a haven for anyone outside of mainstream), but at least the best chefs made it through, though Susan Feniger is not a horse on whom I would bet.

Next week looks to be Ludo LeFasshole and Molecular Gastronomy dork (It's how Batman would cook!) and some real jerk that I've never seen before, and one of the finalists from last year -- That ep should be both contentious and interesting, culinarily. But this ep? Quickfire: Cook cheap food, Challenge: Cook food. MEH.

Sven
04-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Wylie's a good guy, though. It's not really his fault that less talented chefs than him and Ferran Adria have tried to run with the Molecular Gastronomy thing and flopped.

I think Eric Ripert put it best in one of Bourdain's books: "We need one Ferran Adria. Not five. Certainly no more."

I assume that all the returnees are in the same group, which is a bit disappointing.

Kylie
04-09-2010, 09:51 AM
I think that what he's trying to do is fantastic, and absolutely needs to be done. I think that it's an unusual method of cooking, and amazingly precise -- even last year, on the same show, everyone admitted that Wylie's chicken breast was absolutely perfect, even if they didn't like the entire dish - MG is a perfection of procedure, and a reduction of frippery, to reduce meals and flavors to their essence, and THEN play with them. It'll never make it to most people's plates, but it moves the understanding of food, and the techniques of the industry, forward.

Wylie still needs to cut his hair and get contacts, though.

Mr. J
04-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Ooh! I missed the new season!?!? I'll find some time to hulu it this weekend.

Is it just more or do the cooks become worse and worse as the seasons go on (not cooking wise, but just annoyance)? This last season was quite boring for the first several episodes.

Also, Top chef masters was excellent. I don't know where it went but someone posted the recipe for that mole sauce from the finale and it was RIDICULOUS.

Kylie
04-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Wait there is a RECIPE for his Oaxacan Mole? Where where where?

Mr. J
04-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Really awesome interview (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2009/08/top-chef-masters-a-chat-with-winner-rick-bayless-.html)

Recipe (http://www.bravotv.com/foodies/recipes/oaxaca-black-mole-with-braised-chicken-plantain-tamal-and-grilled-nopales)

Even the ingredient list is scary!

Sven
04-10-2010, 06:42 AM
I remember I posted that somewhere around here and we all just sat around staring at the damn thing in awe.

Is it just more or do the cooks become worse and worse as the seasons go on (not cooking wise, but just annoyance)?

I thought last season wasn't that bad, actually, aside from whiny Robin sticking around about five weeks past her sell-by date. Season Five was just godawful to sit through, and was made even worse when a horrible chef won.

Sven
04-16-2010, 08:37 AM
Second episode was a lot more interesting - I liked the simple Quickfire (making a grilled cheese sandwich gourmet), and while I couldn't shake the nagging feeling that Tom would ream out one of the contestants on the regular show for not knowing what "soul food" was if they served some of that stuff, they at least had a bit of a screwup from amongst the normally unflappable chefs.

I didn't like how they attempted to portray Samuelsson as a dick (if he planned his cooking out to use all the available time, I certainly didn't expect him to screw over his charity by letting something go unfinished in the name of helping Carmen), but, well, Bravo is Bravo. If you don't sit around and sing Kumbaya with everyone else, you're automatically evil (see also: Hung).

(personally - I'd have tried to work a grilled cheese around proscuitto and maybe some citrus for a bit of contrast. But I'd certainly actually grill the damn thing in a pan, not in an oven like most of the chefs did)

ajr82
04-16-2010, 10:55 AM
I was avoiding this thread til now for spoiler reasons, but now that I'm caught up, I can contribute!

re: Wylie Dufrense

The constant joke about this guy between my brother and I is that he lives in a white panel van and lures children into it. I see from the previews he still hasn't done anything to dispel this image.

Top Chef is an exercise in petty drama. Top Chef Masters is a culinary exhibition.

Vanilla Top Chef is awful when it's drama-centric, but it never seems that focused on drama to me, probably because I just watch them on torrent back-to-back with US Hell's Kitchen, and anything seems less petty and dramatic when you watch it after HK.

albeit by a less entertaining judges' panel, since Tom's not there very often).

Tom's been really boring and uninterested at the judges' panel for the last two seasons, though. Not to mention that these judges are getting nothing but excellent food. Sic these guys on regular Top Chef contestants and it would be a bloodbath.

Season Five was just godawful to sit through, and was made even worse when a horrible chef won

It was still better than Season 2, though. Top Chef (regular brand) for me goes 3>4>1>5>2

Sven
04-16-2010, 11:04 AM
It was still better than Season 2, though. Top Chef (regular brand) for me goes 3>4>1>5>2

Huh, I'd rank 'em exactly the same.

Actually, scratch that, I'd bump 4 below the original. I loved how cheerfully ill-conceived some of that was (although no Padma... yeah, fuck it, middle of the pack is a good placement).

I'd slot 6 in between 1 and 4 on that list. Too much good food. Maybe even ahead of 4, since Stephanie had all the charisma of a paperclip.

probably because I just watch them on torrent back-to-back with US Hell's Kitchen, and anything seems less petty and dramatic when you watch it after HK.

Well, yeah, but as we've discussed before, most people are convinced that Hell's Kitchen is in fact a parody of a reality show a la Joe Millionaire.

ajr82
04-16-2010, 02:15 PM
Huh, I'd rank 'em exactly the same.

Actually, scratch that, I'd bump 4 below the original. I loved how cheerfully ill-conceived some of that was (although no Padma... yeah, fuck it, middle of the pack is a good placement).

I'd slot 6 in between 1 and 4 on that list. Too much good food. Maybe even ahead of 4, since Stephanie had all the charisma of a paperclip.

Oh, right, last season. I'd put it between 4 and 1, so third best.

Kylie
04-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Newest Top Chef Masters was... a bit of a disappointment. I guess they're bringing all the returning challengers back on the same week, which I disapprove of, since so far most of them have been stronger than the new chefs we've seen (Comparing their performances last year with the new kids this year). They've definitely picked for contentious personalities this year, too -- last year, it was pretty much just Ludo. This year, every week has its share of culinary assholes.

Sven
04-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Still a couple days behind, but bumped to celebrate the glory of Susur Lee. AW YEAH 416 REPRESENT.

shivam
04-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Susur is SO COOL.

Kylie
05-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Susur Lee is the best Lee.

I'm going to his place in DC (Zentan) this weekend, prior to the Opera. I have very high hopes, though it's pretty clear it isn't really a good example of his technique. But I'd have to go to NYC for that, I guess.

Sven
05-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Everything my friends in NYC tell me is that the NY restaurant is a bit held-back.

The food intelligentsia in Toronto think he's dumbing it down a bit for the Yanks.

Sven
05-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Confirmation, yet again, that Susur Lee is your god and master. FIVE DESSERTS.

I'm trying to figure out who's going to be against him in the final.

Kylie
05-06-2010, 03:48 PM
So basically the verdict is that no place on earth is actually equipped to feel the brunt of his true culinary genius.

I want him to cater my last meal, so that if it is too powerful, and kills me, I will have gone out in appropriate fashion.

Sven
05-13-2010, 09:46 AM
The Susur juggernaut continues, as he wins again. This one wasn't a shock, as it was an exotic ingredients test and, well, it's Susur Lee. Iron Chef had the right idea when they tried to handicap him by forcing him to cook with bacon.

Seriously, bring back Bayless and Chiarello, none of these guys have a chance.

Kylie
05-13-2010, 01:50 PM
I have my fingers crossed for Waxman; I haven't seen this week's episode, yet, but I will be surprised if Susur doesn't blow everyone else away on a daily basis. Jonathan Waxman is the only I think is close to his league, but in a super-traditionalist style. I'd like to see him hold on.

But yeah, there isn't much competition for Susur. This is a shame, but I'll still watch the Susur Show.

I want to see Michel Richard on it, but given his health and temperament, that's unlikely.

Tock
05-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Obviously they couldn't bring back anyone from last season's top three, but I would love to see a Susur/Hubert Keller showdown, particularly in some kind of extravagant buffet setting. The man who made five desserts versus the man who made eighteen dishes! Restuffing a black chicken leg versus making mac and cheese in a shower!

shivam
05-14-2010, 02:52 PM
main line topchef just announced that eric ripert is gonna be a permanent judge, replacing toby.

this could be cool.

and whoohoo the susur show is freaking great. i'll watch him all day.

Sven
06-03-2010, 02:35 PM
Susur Lee made a dessert shaped like a vagina.

HE MUST WIN.

Oh, and before anyone asks: yes, Susur's first wife was killed by Russians - she was on board the Air Korea flight that was shot down when it strayed into Russian airspace in the early 80s.

Kylie
06-03-2010, 05:32 PM
The result of this last saddened me. That dude had an impressive run of bad luck.

That said: Vagina Dessert.

Oh, Susur.

Sven
06-09-2010, 03:07 PM
As a reminder, finale tonight. TEAM SUSUR.

shivam
06-14-2010, 10:27 PM
oh man. what a disappointing end.

Sven
06-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Yeah, wasn't fun. Although it does seem like Bravo did their thing a bit.

Also, cutting from four courses to three: not good. Sort of how they've made the regular series' finale lame by having three people in it (Tom hates it as much as I do, and the S2 finale is still the highest-rated in history, but, well, he can't change the rest of the production team's minds because the current format's much easier and faster to shoot).

Matchstick
06-15-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm amazed that Marcus pulled off a win (and that he survived the whole time). They were constantly bitching at him about his food not being focused, being too busy, etc. It seemed from the comments that Rick had it in the bag.

Mr. J
06-23-2010, 10:57 PM
Peanut Butter and Celery!

I hope that guy gets picked off during restaurant wars or something.

Sven
07-08-2010, 08:20 AM
First really good episode of the season last night, with a TON of actual cooking (and screwups) going on. Plus Bravo got their drama at the end, even if it did result in the most visible gay contestant and yet another female chef getting booted, which they had to hate.

I swear, I occasionally think that they created the dessert show simply because that's more female-dominated, and they think that'll be better for their core viewership.

Sven
07-15-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm starting to suspect that not having Leanne backstage is letting a lot of these bullshit challenges through.

shivam
07-15-2010, 11:37 AM
that said, padma has never looked better than this season.

Sven
07-15-2010, 11:39 AM
that said, padma has never looked better than this season.

Gotta love post-delivery DDs.

Sven
07-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I want everyone on this season to die in a hideous kitchen accident.

Matchstick
09-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Tonight Mrs. Match and I will be going to Bryan Voltaggio's restaurant, Volt. I'm pretty stoked.

Sven
09-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Tonight Mrs. Match and I will be going to Bryan Voltaggio's restaurant, Volt. I'm pretty stoked.

Cool. Jot down the specials since they're not on the website. Always curious about stuff like that.

Matchstick
09-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Cool. Jot down the specials since they're not on the website. Always curious about stuff like that.

There were no specials. The meal was very good. Not mind blowingly so overall, but really satisfying. The amuse bouche that started the meal, however, was mind blowing.

Sven
12-01-2010, 05:03 PM
NEW SEASON~! ALL STARS~! NO MORE JUST DESSERTS~!

Mr. J
12-01-2010, 05:51 PM
NEW SEASON~! ALL STARS~! NO MORE JUST DESSERTS~!

Do you know if there's a way to watch the new season (legally) on the web? I just can't wait to see some more foams!

Sven
12-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Honestly not sure. It's an NBC-U station, though, so shouldn't that mean it's on Hulu?

shivam
12-03-2010, 12:50 AM
ok, so i saw ep 1. i want carla to win so badly.

Sven
12-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Sadly, she's outgunned. Carla's just too scatterbrained. She had a couple of good weeks at the end of her season, but she put out some awful stuff earlier than that. To paraphrase Randy Savage, she's got the crazy eyes.

I think it's pretty obvious that they're setting up Blais v Angelo as the showdown, although after the last real season even Bravo's prognosticative editing has some flaws.

I still say the final four are Tiffany (who Tom loves), Tre, Blais and Angelo, though. I can't see Marcel making a run even though I love his annoying the other chefs.

Also... HOLY SHIT I'd forgotten how hot Casey is. How the hell hasn't she landed an Oprah-sponsored talk show? Is she just that bad on TV?

shivam
12-03-2010, 10:47 AM
no, you know who's hot? that persian girl who just got punted

I really need to go back and watch season 1.

Sven
12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Why do they have to get rid of the hot ones? Dammit.

Matchstick
12-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I concur with shivam re: hotties (although she was born in Mexico to Lebanese parents). I concur with Sven on the likely final four and Carla's chances, although I'd love it if she went the distance. I want Angelo to crash and burn as soon as possible, because I just don't like him for some reason.

Sven
12-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Elia is dead to me after she pathetically slagged Tom on the way out the door.

shivam
12-11-2010, 01:30 AM
dude, never have i seen someone want to go home as badly as jen did this week. she was straight up vicious.

and angelo's my non-carla favorite.

Sven
12-17-2010, 07:37 AM
Well, at least the war on hot women was temporarily halted to clean out some of the dead wood. Dale and his astonishingly large neck headed home doesn't bug me, and you get the sense that the only reason Stephen even got far enough in that first season to be remembered is that the overall calibre of chefs was that much lower in those days.

Matchstick
12-17-2010, 09:42 PM
I so glad that Stephen is gone (and that he was honest in his appraisal of his own skills). Not that worried about Dale going, although he was funny at times. I really want Angelo to go.

Sven
01-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Bumped for an awesome episode.

Sad that Casey and her tits are gone, though.

shivam
01-07-2011, 03:16 PM

made me crave dimsum something fierce, and i was super happy to see susur come back. that said, these guys were complete fuckups the whole episode, and totally missed the point.

Matchstick
01-07-2011, 10:21 PM

I concur. I can't recall having seen a bigger train-wreck among so many folks.

Sven
01-10-2011, 12:08 PM
The best part was that they were so obviously cooking for the judges with the intricate plating, and then it all blew up on them when Tom got pissed off at them anyway.

Him coming into the kitchen was an all-time highlight.

Matchstick
01-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Him coming into the kitchen was an all-time highlight.

Agreed. You can tell Tom has a lot of experience running things. When he brings down the hammer, everybody knows it.

Sven
01-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Finally saw this week's episode. Quite good, although I liked the Next Iron Chef variant better since it wasn't one of those borderline-catering challenges.

After being sympathetic to Marcel for a while, he's now starting to annoy me. And the female chef holocaust continues....

shivam
01-16-2011, 12:36 PM
fuck marcel. i want him to go home so badly. Carla is the queen of this show, and i need her to win.

Sven
01-20-2011, 02:49 PM
The wishes of the proletariat have been heeded.

Blais is still the favourite, Carla and Tre as dark horses. Not sure if anyone else has a shot, except for maybe Dale since he's significantly less crazy now than he was.

Matchstick
01-21-2011, 09:27 PM
The wishes of the proletariat have been heeded.

Blais is still the favourite, Carla and Tre as dark horses. Not sure if anyone else has a shot, except for maybe Dale since he's significantly less crazy now than he was.

Spot on, good sir.

Sven
01-27-2011, 07:36 AM
... Bravo didn't seriously not air TC last night because they had a fashion show competition that was wrapping up, did they?

Yet another reminder of just how far the usual Bravo demos TC is, I guess.

Ruik
01-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Helen and I were wondering why it wasn't on...

Luana
01-27-2011, 11:08 AM
Man, the only thing I miss about not having cable is not having Top Chef in my life. Then again, I couldn't sit through Season 5 (I stopped after 6), but... I've missed Eric Ripert as a judge?! And Season 8 is an all-star assortment of drama and cooking?

Torrents, here I come.

In other Top Chef news, I am displeased that the original season is only available digitally. Sure, it makes it cheap to purchase, but now I have to re-encode all of these episodes to stick them on a DVD so I can make the boyfriend watch them with me.

Sven
01-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Top Chef has that Star Trek odds-and-evens thing going on. Seven wasn't all that great, but eight's been awesome so far. They've been particularly devious about the challenges this year, and Bourdain's around as a semi-permanent judge.

Sven
01-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Relevant to this thread (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn_CfAGwTos). Sure, the challenger is our favourite to win this season, but take a look at his sous chefs - you'll spot a familiar face.

Torzelbaum
02-03-2011, 11:00 PM
no, you know who's hot? that persian girl who just got puntedShivam, I don't really know you but I feel compelled to tell you three things about Elia:
1. She's married.
2. She's crazy.
3. You could do better.

Sven
02-16-2011, 03:49 PM
As a reminder - COOKIE MONSTER IS ON TOP CHEF TONIGHT.

Last name Ever, first name Best Episode.

Sven
03-03-2011, 10:40 AM
That was BULLSHIT.

*sigh* continue.

Tock
03-03-2011, 11:04 AM
That was BULLSHIT.

*sigh* continue.

I was literally mid-sentence, telling a friend that Top Chef doesn't pull that "no one's being eliminated!" nonsense that plagues other reality TV contests... and then they pulled it. I mean, I get that they had a tough decision to make, but still, make it.

It also means that Padma made Blais crap his pants for basically no reason other than the lulz, which is both sad and hilarious.

Pretty sure that Isabella gets stomped by Mike Volt next week, seeing as that guy has already won essentially two finales. Carla fans are in luck--she gets Hosea, which is pretty much like having a bye.

Sven
03-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Blais v. Stephanie will be interesting, since he and about 99% of everyone else are still stunned that she beat him the first time around.

It's too bad none of the Season 3 cast stuck around, because it would've been interesting to see Hung beat the snot out of them without mercy again. "Oh, I'm just churning out food that's being compared to three-star Michelin stuff... you're making braised pork belly. Best of luck, fuckers!"

Matchstick
03-03-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm fine with them keeping everybody, but man, did they yank Blais around hard.

Sven
03-04-2011, 08:24 AM
I think I'm mad because it just feels like another dilution of the original idea of one chef being sent home each week until the final two square off.

As Tom frequently points out, Marcel v Ilian is still the highest-rated finale in the show's history - and that was with two douches squaring off.

shivam
03-04-2011, 10:07 AM
yeah, well, my wife and i were super stoked everyone stayed. i guess the emotional bullshit finally got through to us =)

Go carla!

Matchstick
03-04-2011, 05:38 PM
I think I'm mad because it just feels like another dilution of the original idea of one chef being sent home each week until the final two square off.

Yeah, I hear you on that, and I'd actually prefer they go back to either 2 or 3. Moving it up to 4 makes me care that much less whether it's 4 or 5 (or 6).

ajr82
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I like Blais, but I'm sure getting tired of his perma-sulk every time he doesn't win an challenge.

Torzelbaum
03-09-2011, 10:26 PM
I like Blais, but I'm sure getting tired of his perma-sulk every time he doesn't win an challenge.I couldn't agree more. I don't want to hate him but his bitch-face and other whiny, punk-ass bitch mannerisms makes it almost impossible not to. Because of that I think I want him to lose just out of pure spite.

Hell, Blais almost makes me want to root for Mike Isabella. Speaking of Mike:
Damn it, Magical Elves! Why did you have to humanize him in the ancestry episode!? I didn't want you to do that!

Sven
03-10-2011, 04:07 PM
As someone who's never minded Mike (since I grew up with about 20 clones of him), I'm amused that he's the sudden frontrunner (especially because it's causing CHAOS over the online groupmind. Yes, he said he was a better chef than a woman. Get over it.)

Sven
03-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Also: I don't care how much Richard is whining, he gets a lifetime pass for the joke about not shaving until he wins the Cup. THAT MAN KNOW.

Matchstick
03-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Finally got to catch this episode now that we're back from PAX. What a clusterfuck this thing was. I have found that I've liked Mike much more this season than during his regular season. He's much less abrasive and more jovial. I'm sad that Carla has gone, but I'll be unhappy if either of the two remaining ladies win, because they've been much more inconsistent in my estimation.

Sven
03-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Tom did a good interview with the AV club here (http://www.avclub.com/articles/tom-colicchio,53253/) and it seems to confirm that we've got a one-on-one finale coming since there's three episodes left and even they can't cop out of eliminating someone again.

Sven
03-18-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm going to be so happy when Mike wins and the internets explode.

Mara
03-19-2011, 10:47 AM
^ You're right, the internets WOULD explode.

And so would my brain, but whatever.

Sven
03-21-2011, 02:56 PM
But it'll be fun. It'll be like when Hung beat Casey, only even more awesome (well, Mike is less awesome than Hung, but you know what I mean).

shivam
03-21-2011, 02:57 PM
fuck that. now that carla's gone, it'd better be blaize.
fuck mike and his smug bullshit.

Sven
03-24-2011, 11:54 AM
YES~! One more win for the internets to explode. Chaos 1, shivam 0. :)

shivam
03-24-2011, 12:01 PM
Antonia wasn't gonna win anyway. She had no chance.

Sven
03-24-2011, 12:07 PM
I know, but Mike made absolutely sure. Sticking a one-cuisine, simple-dish making chef with Morimoto's last meal? Might as well have kneecapped her as well since it wasn't going to make things any worse.

shivam
03-24-2011, 12:11 PM
I know, but Mike made absolutely sure. Sticking a one-cuisine, simple-dish making chef with Morimoto's last meal? Might as well have kneecapped her as well since it wasn't going to make things any worse.

My wife looked at that brown ass miso with horror. There was no way to win there.

Matchstick
03-24-2011, 11:16 PM
I completely agree with Sven. He couldn't have been more brutal. If it were me, I'd have screwed Blais to make sure I get rid of the last serious competition. I think it's Mike's game to lose, although Blais winning this last one blunts his momentum a little.

shivam
03-31-2011, 12:19 AM
YES! Take THAT, Sven!

Sven
03-31-2011, 08:36 AM
I weep for the lack of internet kvetching.

Matchstick
03-31-2011, 07:34 PM
I weep for the lack of internet kvetching.

Me, too.

Sven
04-01-2011, 03:44 PM
The TWOP recapper was particularly crazed by the end, it seemed.

(And, go figure - Mike worked with three women in the finale, and nary a bad word.)

shivam
04-01-2011, 03:48 PM
anyone got a cast list for the new season of masters?

Torzelbaum
04-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Actually, I think it was better for Richard that he won. In those last few interviews he looked and sounded like he was desperately clinging to the last threads of his sanity.

anyone got a cast list for the new season of masters?Yes, here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Chef:_Masters_%28season_3%29#Master_Contestant s) and here (http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef-masters/season-3/bios).

Sven
04-02-2011, 08:32 AM
I imagined this hypothetical scenario

Richard: "Honey, I lost Top Chef."
[pulls out shotgun, places in mouth]

Sven
04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
So... I assume no one bothered with "Top Chef Masters, only with not-as-good chefs and a lamer format"? The AV Club was pretty harsh in their assessment.

Top Chef Canada, however, looks like it'll be fun. I'll keep an eye on torrent sites for you Yanks, but I'm largely relying on mom's PVR to keep track of this one.

shivam
04-07-2011, 11:16 AM
I liked it alot, actually. The chefs are rad, and suvir is the desi susur.

Matchstick
12-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Hey, nobody has been talking about Top Chef: Texas, but I wanted to make fun of Beverly for crying in almost every single episode. The douche in the first episode getting eliminated during prep was really delicious comeuppance for somebody that was so cocky and screwed another contestant so badly. Overall, I've been enjoying this season. I loved that they had to cook for a spot on the show in the first place. I also enjoy that they're doing the Last Chance Kitchen (http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-9/last-chance-kitchen) on the web. It really adds a nice twist to the proceedings.

FinalSlayer
12-10-2011, 07:21 PM
Humorously enough, reading this topic last night got me back into watching this show. (I saw the first 4 Seasons and the first season of Master Chef, but nothing past that)

It seems like this particular season they have a number of competent chefs, but none that are real stars.

Watching episode 3, while they were clearly portraying Keith as a sympathetic fan favorite, and he might indeed be a real nice guy, his attitude was all wrong for the quinceañera party.

He made two incredibly basic mistakes, one that even a fourth-rate amateur cook like myself wouldn't; buying pre-cooked, frozen shrimp, and making enchiladas out of flour instead of corn. The former was especially bad considering he owns and operates a seafood restaurant.

In both cases, he blamed his teammates for not telling him the correct thing to do.

Yeah, in a perfect world, they would have, but you can't rely on other people to fix your mistakes. Especially when they're busy with their own dishes and shopping. Especially when they're your direct competition. You have to take responsibility for what you make in the kitchen.

Anywho, Sarah and Phil (bald Asian guy from Texas) strike me as being two of the better chefs through the first three episodes. Grayson is cute and a decent chef, too.

FinalSlayer
12-17-2011, 03:40 AM
Just watched episode 7.

Honestly, I don't care for them casting Heather as a stereotypical villain. There's a lot of creative editing and selective interview portions used to achieve this effect, as well as her own inherent bitchiness, and it's mostly bullshit.

Yeah, Heather is loud and bossy, but so are most head chefs that run a kitchen. And to be completely fair to Heather, Beverley is an inferior chef who has far less experience than she does, and has done worse in the competition.

As for the actual cooking portion, while it made for an interesting challenge, I wonder how fair asking the contestants to cook some of the game meat was. Venison and duck are one thing, but I can't imagine quail or elk are taught in most cooking schools or kitchens.

Matchstick
12-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Yeah, Heather is loud and bossy, but so are most head chefs that run a kitchen. And to be completely fair to Heather, Beverley is an inferior chef who has far less experience than she does, and has done worse in the competition.

Sure, but she also just can't let the whole shrimp thing go. She's not going to make any traction on that once that elimination challenge is over. Let it go, do your own thing and move on.

As for the actual cooking portion, while it made for an interesting challenge, I wonder how fair asking the contestants to cook some of the game meat was. Venison and duck are one thing, but I can't imagine quail or elk are taught in most cooking schools or kitchens.

That happens all the time on Top Chef. That's part of the point of the show. If they were just allowed to do stuff they had experience with or were comfortable preparing, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

FinalSlayer
12-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Sure, but she also just can't let the whole shrimp thing go. She's not going to make any traction on that once that elimination challenge is over. Let it go, do your own thing and move on.

Yeah, I agree with this. Referencing a past challenge was really fucking stupid and petty.

That happens all the time on Top Chef. That's part of the point of the show. If they were just allowed to do stuff they had experience with or were comfortable preparing, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

Oh, I know. For the most part, I was openly questioning how common quail or elk are in a kitchen. My impression is that they aren't, but I'm no expert.

I've talked to a few foodie friends, and they say quail is more of a standard meat than I thought.

Matchstick
12-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Oh, I know. For the most part, I was openly questioning how common quail or elk are in a kitchen. My impression is that they aren't, but I'm no expert.

I've talked to a few foodie friends, and they say quail is more of a standard meat than I thought.

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. I've seen it on menus whereas I've never seen elk. Reindeer, yes (in Iceland). Elk, no. I think it was on the last Top Chef Masters where they had to prepare things with various bugs. Now that's a brutal challenge.

shivam
12-18-2011, 10:28 AM
this season makes me really wish it was top chef masters instead. i'm starting to hate the standard bickering drama of normal seasons.

FinalSlayer
12-19-2011, 03:08 AM
this season makes me really wish it was top chef masters instead. i'm starting to hate the standard bickering drama of normal seasons.

It makes sense, though; at the end of the day, the viewer can't actually TASTE the dishes, which is the most important part. As a result, all you have left is the drama, whether it's inter-personal or just the stress of the competition on individual competitors.

Top Chef Masters still features plenty of the latter kind of the drama, by the way, but the chefs are just better at handling it.

rkdn42
01-10-2012, 01:06 PM
I don't know if Tom Colicchio is doing a tour (couldn't find any details with a quick search in Google), but I saw that he is going to have an event at the Gallo Center for the Arts in Modesto, CA next month (2/24): http://tickets.galloarts.org/single/EventDetail.aspx?p=2405.

I also saw an event on 2/23 in Palm Desert, CA.

I don't think I'll go since I don't think I'd get much out of it since I'm not much of a cook/epicure.