The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 01-30-2018, 03:41 PM
Not much of a donkey

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
While I can't be sure this didn't open some secret door somewhere, I can tell you for a fact that Fusoya does not exist. Character data is limited, and his slot was overwritten completely.
Huh...well that's interesting. With who? By my reckoning there's still a totally unused Golbez slot too since him throwing down with Zemus didn't happen.

What was done with these two slots?...
Old 01-30-2018, 03:44 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

there's also a missing adult rydia, unless that comes into play somehow still.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:10 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Here's the short version:

1) Fusoya's slot was taken up by Kain rejoining you for Malacoda, because character permanence is something FF4 doesn't really understand very well.
2) Golbez doesn't have any character data, despite what the sprite implies.
3) Adult Rydia and Child Rydia aren't different characters; I'd be willing to bet if you could somehow get past Golbez in the Underground without reaching level 7, you'd see level-up messages saying Rydia learned Hold or whatever.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:41 PM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

It's crazy to me that multiple instances of Kain are treated as separate characters in the game's memory, while Rydia, who has two different sprites and ability sets, isn't.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:28 PM
earthquake ace

Default part 1/2

Bonus Update: ff4kster

Hello! Before we wrap things up, I want to show off a little of the tool that was used to edit the game: ff4kster. So lemme just open it up...

When you do so, you get a command-line interface so you can find the FF2 US v1.1 ROM or derivative you want to use. Other versions may work, but I haven't tried. Here, we see a base ROM, a ROM randomized via Beyond Babil, and a ROM patched with UC. I'll select the base ROM for this demonstration. And I'm going to preemptively apologize that these images are larger than usual.

You get a very quick printout where the tool reads the data from the ROM, then you come to this menu. Amusingly, if the ROM's font or windows have been changed, they are reflected via the tool. Let's go down the list.

Save ROM

This does what you think it does. After you make all your changes, select this to commit them. The tool does not create a backup, so hopefully you did that before you started.

Edit Features

This section defines what categories spells and items fall into. You would think these would be properties of the spells/items themselves, but apparently not. Most of these, I assume, are fairly straightforward. "Six-letter" is basically the full list of spells that PCs can access, while monster spells can have up to eight letters. The Legend Sword and Crystal are listed here because they are also key items, but are fundamentally different from the others because they have actual effects.

Edit Spells

Here we have the complete list of spells and what they do. The first window is the spell's name, of course. The second window concerns most of the 'data' you might see in an algorithm guide. I have no idea what 'Impact' means, though the rest are fairly self-explanatory. (Yes, there is straight-up a bit that says if the spell can hit a boss.) The third window concerns graphical data. Finally, the fourth and fifth windows show the spell's "elements". The first column is for what we would personally consider elements (plus Absorb and Immune), while the second and third are statuses.

You'll notice that spells don't have unique element bits; they're assigned an index, and that index has element bits. So if I were to change the elements that Hold uses, it would also change the elements of every spell that uses Index 13. This is a very common thing you'll see in ff4kster; you can tell that Square was trying to compress as much data as they could. Indexes here go from 0 to 122, but most of them past 60 are empty.

Edit Spell Sets

This menu defines who learns what and when. It does not cover event spells, such as Rydia learning Fire1. The names to the left are actually part of ff4kster's config file and don't technically mean anything; it's entirely possible to assign "FuSoYa White" to Cid. For each, the window on the left represents spells known by default, while the window on the right represents spells learned at the given levels.

Edit Weapons

Here, we have everything you could possibly ask for concerning weapons. The first window has basic information such as name, attack power, and hit rate. All weapon descriptions are dummied out. The second and third windows are the weapon's elements; again, it's index-based. These are actually the same indexes that the spells use, because if the list is already there, why make it again?

The third, fourth, and fifth windows tell you the weapon's stat bonuses and maluses. Each stat has one of two options, and there are eight possible sets of options. If that seems confusingly done, then let me use that Dummy weapon as an example. It's stored as follows: 10101100. The first five bits are for each of the five stats, deciding whether they get the high option or low option. The last three bits decide which of the eight option sets they pick between.

Next, we have the slaying bonuses. This one's pretty simple; if the monster has a race that's highlighted, you deal 4x damage. Next, you have weapon properties. Properties 1 through 5 aren't entirely understood, though I can tell you Property 1 prevents critical hits. Then you have Long Range, Throwable, and Magnetic. These should be self-explanatory. As a curious aside, while I can't speak for properties 2 through 5, Property 1 and Long Range are set on the character once equipped, and never ever unset (so, yes, you can potentially lose the ability to crit if you equip the wrong thing).

Below those, we have the list of classes that can equip the weapon. Unsurprisingly, this is also index-based. Curiously, there are two 'Caller' and two 'Wh.Wiz' classes. Obviously, these are for Child/Adult Rydia and for Rosa/Porom, respectively. The best I can tell you is that there are two Caller classes because Child Rydia can equip staves whereas Adult Rydia cannot, and there are two Wh.Wiz classes because two characters can't share a class.

Next, there's the graphical details when you swing the weapon. Nothing surprising here. Finally, and neither of my examples show this well, you have the evoke interaction. If 'Casts' is empty, you get no effect. 'Visual' tells the game which spell's graphical data to use; this is usually the same as Casts, but certain staves which use effects that aren't technically White Magic might use the same graphics as Heal or Cure1. Finally, Power is the set multiplier that the spell uses; the evoker's stats have no effect.

Phew, that's finally done! Before we move on, I want to note that the 'Dummy' weapon selected here has exactly the same information as the Crystal Sword/Ragnarok, except for the fact that it falls in the 'Two-handed' block. I find this interesting because it implies that Square was considering making it 2h before deciding to change it to a complete upgrade.

Edit Armors

The Armor menu is organized much like the weapon menu. The stat block at the top has more information, since each armor has four values associated with it instead of two. The Metallic bit is also moved up here.

Elements for armor represent what you resist. We can see here that the Adamant Armor is basically a superior Ribbon. The Immune bit there is only in reference to the actual elements, showing that you would be immune to Fire, Ice, and Bolt damage; statuses are always immunity if they're set.

Next, we have stat bonuses and racial modifiers as with weapons. If you have the racial flag that a monster has, its attack power is halved before defense is applied. And finally, we have the list of classes that can equip the armor, where we see DK Cecil is uniquely snubbed by the Adamant Armor.

Edit Medicines

This refers to any consumables that can be used in battle. The graphical effect is contained at the top where it loads in a spell's graphics, then you have the spell-like effect window, and finally the elements windows. FF2 US is known for having dummied out a lot of items, as you can see. See if you can guess what the highlighted item was!

Edit Tools

This menu contains items that cannot be used in battle or equipped. Tents and Cabins are here, as are Rydia's item summons and most Key Items. Not much to really say here. Their effects, as far as I can tell, aren't defined here, but in other menus, so this is quite literally just a list.

Edit Shops

I don't need to explain this one, do I?

Edit Jobs

This menu appears to solely be used to associate spell lists with classes. It is also self-explanatory. FF2 US doesn't use this, but a spell list that's in Combat but not in Menu would only show up in battle, as Edward's Songs do in UC. I don't think anything would stop you from associating different things to Combat and Menu, except for your own sanity.

Edit Characters

This is where character data is defined. The first window handles things like handedness, job, and starting stats. Below that, you have the stats that are changed at each level as well as the experience required to reach that level. The row of numbers without a header, next to MHP, represents how the stats on the left change. So for DK Cecil here, going from level 14 to 15 reduces his WIL by 1.

This window scrolls down all the way to level 69 -> 70. Beyond that, your stats change randomly in one of the eight ways shown to the right. MHP and MMP will just repeat their 69 -> 70 values all the way to 99.

Edit Commands

Here, you can change what the commands do. The first window is constant; it can allow you to make some commands unable to be used without certain weapons equipped. The second window has info about the command, such as statuses that would prevent its use (amusingly, Kick is disabled if Yang is Floating) and what pose the character takes while waiting to execute the command. The third window, which not all commands have, can have data about the command. For Fight, we see elemental and racial modifiers; things like Sing or the dummied-out Recall will show spells and the chances of getting each.

Edit Actors

Actors represent the actual characters themselves. At the top, we have the commands they get and their equipment when they enter the party. Then we have which character data they load when entering the party, where they save their character data to when leaving the party, and which character data they read their levels from. The next two windows are global modifiers; Edge's "Ninja" magic is just a reskinned Black command, and Adult Rydia gets her job changed, but nothing else. The last window is the printed name; what you actually see in-game.

In Rydia's window, you can see where she saves her data to 'Shadow slot 4'. This is what I was referring to regarding character permanence earlier. When the game wants to save a character for later, it will save them to a shadow slot, from 0 to 4. When Adult Rydia joins the party, she loads the data from shadow slot 4. Shadow slots get EXP equal to the EXP that active members get; this is why when I picked up Yang after solo Paladin Cecil in UC, he was level 97 with over 8 million EXP.

Lastly, I want to note that there is an entry here for each time a party member joins. This is why UC couldn't fit Fusoya, because it had the capability to have several people rejoin near the end. It also had to completely remove Kain from the shadow slots, so he's reinitialized when he joins in the fight against Malacoda. The hack uses Fusoya's character data from above to make a second Kain, at level 40, for this.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:29 PM
earthquake ace

Default part 2/2

Edit Messages

Every single text box in the game can be edited through this menu. Banks 1 and 3 contain cutscene text, as you can see. Bank 2 holds NPC text, like when you talk to a dancer or whatnot, separated by town. Battle holds battle messages, like "Fall flat into the deep ravine!" Alerts also has battle messages, but for more passive things, like the 'Strike first!' and 'Surprised!' prompts, displaying EXP/GP/level-ups at end-of-battle, and so on. Statuses represent the text that describes your party's status when you're trying to select a target for a healing spell. Finally, Items has item descriptions, 90% of which were dummied out.

Edit Events

This is where you handle cutscenes. You have to define each individual action that occurs, such as movement, messages, and so on. This is also where you might set spells learned via event, such as Rydia learning Fire1, or the nonsense pictured above.

Edit Triggers

Triggers are defined as things like treasure chests (including invisible ones) and map exits (so doors and whatnot). Note that many doors aren't "doors" per se, but "returns", putting you back at the last door trigger you took. Generally speaking, this happens when you go out the way you came.

Edit NPCs

Much of this is fairly self-evident. Regardless, this is where you change up NPCs.

Edit Tilesets

Here, you've got the different 128-tile sets that the game uses. You can see how they look using any of the 32 palettes (I took the liberty of finding the proper palette for the Lunar Core), and then edit the properties of each individual tile. I can't honestly say what all of these properties do, aside from the obvious.

Edit Map Info

It's map info. And you edit it. There's not much to go into here. What I can tell you, though, is that the 'Underground' bit does not at all mean what it sounds like. It seems to be set for the weirdest places, like Agart's observatory room with the telescope, the Toroia Infirmary, and Baron's Chocobo Forest. As far as I can tell, none of the places marked are in the Underworld, or on the Moon. *shrug*

Edit Maps

This is where you actually lay out the maps. This is where you place triggers, while the Edit Triggers menu is where you define what those triggers do. If you want to change places up, this is where you go.

Edit Monsters

The monster menu is probably where you're going to spend most of your time if you're just peeking at the ROM data, like I was for this LP. First, let's cover the windows that are always there. At the top, you've got basic info like name, HP, and so on. Below that is the sprite data.

Then you have combat data. Attack, Defense, and Magic Defense are organized into indexes that contain value, multiplier, and rate. All three of these stats pull from the same index bank. Speed has its own index bank, which lists a minimum and maximum speed. Yes, random enemies have variance in their speed. Then you have the drop table; the rate determines how often they drop something, and the index determines which item pool it picks from. I don't quite remember what drop rates correspond to what percentages, or what the percentage is for each item tier, but I do know that a drop rate of 1 is the 5/98 I cited before, while 3 is 100% and 0 is 0%.

Finally (well, not quite), we have the extra windows window. Each of these options, when toggled, creates a new window. Let's go through them in order.

The Adds window, directly below drops and extras, represents elements tied to a monster's physical attack. This is unilaterally used for status effects; no monster has an actual element set here. I'm not sure if it'd even work. Next you have Resistances, which is what it implies. If the Absorb bit is set, then the monster gains HP from the elements it resists instead of loses it.

Next, you have Weaknesses, which only covers the first byte of elements. I don't believe the absorb bit is used here; the immune bit changes the weaknesses so that the monster takes 4x damage instead of 2x. The Spell Power window lets you, rather obviously, set the monster's spell power; this number is what they use instead of WIS or WIL. I have no idea what happens if you try to have them cast spells without setting this; I assume they use the default of 1. After that, we have Races; these are the flags that interact with weapons and armor.

I'll cover the AI and Reaction windows simultaneously, since they're essentially the same. AI is covered in the top-right, while Reactions are in the bottom-right. You've got three levels of indexes here, so try to keep up. For all of them, they are shared between AI and Reactions, even if they don't really make sense to be in one or the other.

I'll start from the bottom: the scripts. As we can see from Milon, Script 154 is a single-target Lit-1, then Fight. It will then loop. This ranges from 1 to 256.

Next, we have conditions. These represent what has to be true in order to run the associated script. So Milon will only use Script 154 if he's the only monster left; Condition 3. Otherwise, he'll check Condition 1 (the default condition), which calls for Script 153. Every monster terminates their condition list in AI with Condition 1, but they can have several other conditions they check first, starting from the top. This ranges from 1 to 98.

Finally, we have the overall index. This is what associates conditions with scripts, and keeps condition sets. Index 146, then, will always have [Condition 3/Script 154, Condition 1/Script 153], unless you change it, which will change any other monster that uses Index 146. This ranges from 1 to 254.

Edit Formations

This is where you set enemy formations. I'm not entirely sure what each bit does, but here's what I can claim. Arrangement affects how the monsters are arranged in-battle. Battle Music options are self-explanatory. Floating is ???, Prevent Flee does what it says, Boss Death is what causes the boss to rumble and shake and slowly fade out when they die. Prevent Losing means the game continues even if you die, Versus Player is ???, Auto Battle does what it says, I'm pretty sure Back Attack exists exclusively for Milon-Z, not sure what Transparent is. The rest, well, even the editor doesn't know, except for the obvious one at the end.

Edit Encounters

This is where you set encounter tables. And yes, if you notice, there's another index here. Confusingly, there are multiple index banks here depending on where you are. The overworld has 16 indexes, the underworld+moon has 16, overworld dungeons have 80, and underworld+moon dungeons have 80.

Edit Autobattles

This menu is for battles that take place without input. I'm not actually sure how it loads in character sprite data; my guess is that it's part of the Edit Events menu. It's straightforward enough; you get a script that loops until the other side dies or some other reaction-based event happens.

Edit Solobattles

And this is for battles where your party size is restricted. I'm not sure what the 'Non-solo' thing means; all of them have that listed as Child Rydia.

And that's everything. Next time, we screw around and do stupid things; it will probably be the final update! Please look forward to it!
Old 01-30-2018, 09:31 PM
earthquake ace

ughhhhh those screenshots included the cursor, whyyyyyyyyyy
Old 01-30-2018, 10:13 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Versus Player is very likely the flag for battles against player characters (Yang in Baron, Edward vs Tellah, Kain all over the place).
Old 01-30-2018, 10:17 PM
earthquake ace

Going through them, that does seem to be the case. Wonder what it's there for?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:28 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
I just e-mailed square and they said it's cannon.
It'll be weird in the Secret of Mana remake to ride this game around the world.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:02 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Turtle, great LP. You made me want to play FF4 again since I only played the GBA version and never developed the nostalgia for this one like I did FF6. So I went ahead and bought the PSP remake for my Vita (I actually like that one's artstyle, nothing against the sprites in the GBA or SNES version).
Old 02-01-2018, 02:50 AM
earthquake ace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Turtle, great LP. You made me want to play FF4 again since I only played the GBA version and never developed the nostalgia for this one like I did FF6. So I went ahead and bought the PSP remake for my Vita (I actually like that one's artstyle, nothing against the sprites in the GBA or SNES version).
I'm glad that my LP got you to pick up FF4. This thread is now an unqualified success.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:54 AM
earthquake ace

Default part 1/2

Chapter 18: Do Dark Knights Dream Of Black Sheep?

Welcome back! Let's look at these Alarm and Grimoire items.

The Grimoire is a battle item; when used, it summons a random Esper.

Neato.

As for the Alarm, it's used in an area where you can encounter enemies. It immediately forces a battle with the rarest enemy formation in that area. I've got an idea of where to use these...

Here! I mentioned back when we first came here that this room held the fabled PinkPuff encounter. Normally, trying to find PinkPuffs is an exercise in madness. But now...

We can fight them at-will. So, something to know about PinkPuffs. Unlike most flan-like enemies, their physical defense isn't really notable, so feel free to attack them normally. This is very good, because...

This right here? Will automatically berserk somebody. Now, UC turns up their drop rate some so this isn't necessarily a complete waste of time...

But the first fight didn't get much of note regardless. However, we have a second Alarm, so let's try again.

Not quite. Hope you saved! (I did, so it's time to reload.)

If you're wondering what else they can drop, well...

yeah i don't know why they put elixirs in there twice >_>

Eventually, after a lot of a lot of reloading...

I finally get the Hero Ring! Which... Cecil can't use. Good thing I already have a plan for that.

We'll bring it to Rydia! She's one of a few characters who actually wants a ring, the others being Tellah and the twins. Rosa and Edward can equip them, but their two-handed weapons tend to get in the way.

I guess those stats are decent. Because she gained EXP all at once, I couldn't really control her post-70 levels. We can also see that, as I said, she didn't quite hit 999 MP. It's still more than enough.

So now, I guess we go solo the Subterrane with a five year old.

It turns out, with 99 Strength, even a rod can do good damage.

However, since I'm not technically alone, I will have to fight the Eight Fiends (who revive Cecil). Rydia is tearing through them so fast that they kind of forget who they are.

So I get hit with Angel Song.

Or I would, anyway, if I weren't literally immune.

And so, after like ten Mega Flares, they fall over. Kain comes in and kills the Shadow Dragon, so now it's Golbez's turn to die...though I only have the MP for two more Mega Flares, so I decide to just rod bonk him for the last 10002 HP.

...or I would, anyway, if I could get past his defense. So instead let's use Mist Dragon.

Like that, yes.

I end up just using Odin to clear out most random battles. I have to watch out for enemies with boss bits, since Odin won't work on them; they get Mega Flared. As I go, I find that despite having nearly as high a defense multiplier, Rydia gets hit a good bit more often because of her lower rate. This is quickly fixed by sticking her in the back row.

Many enemies in the Lunar Core aren't very MP-economical to fight, but I do so anyway because I have too many Elixirs. Though when there's only one enemy, I switch to casting Bomb; it scales with my current HP, so it hits for a little over 5000 damage for only 10 MP; much more efficient than Mega Flare.

You get a full heal before fighting Zeromus, so I have to kill Cecil again. I stripped him of all his armor, so Big Bang does a good bit of the work for me. Then I remember he's in the back row, so it'll have to do all of the work for me because he can't even hit himself.

It turns out that even with my near-immunity to magic, Big Bang is still able to get a hit or two in. I suspect that, had I used the Thief Glove instead of the Strength Gauntlet, the extra magic defense multiplier through AGI would give me blanket immunity, but it's too late for that now.

I discover that when Zeromus reaches his second life bar, his reaction to magic changes from Flare to Ice-3. This becomes hilarious because, well...

Thanks, buddy!

After about 20 Exploders, I finish him off with a Mega Flare, for style.

The ending is the same as when it was Paladin Cecil with a party; nothing new to show off there. (I double-checked to make sure fighting Zemus hadn't changed anything; it didn't.)
Old 02-01-2018, 02:58 AM
earthquake ace

Default part 2/2

So let's turn back time. I'll spare you the setup.

Dark Knight Cecil, all alone. Once I clear my inventory, it's off to the Underworld to grind Arachnes.

There we go. Ready for Golbez. As before, he skips the Fiend refight and Shadow Dragon.

You might think this fight will be tricky since I can't heal myself.

You'd be wrong on both counts. Thanks Blood Sword!

Basically all you have to do is hold attack. DarkHoly will hit for about 2000, which is the scariest thing he's got, and he won't use it frequently.

Then he's defeated (but not killed). Golbez runs off to seek the Elder's penance as we go find Zeromus.

Because I'm using the Blood Sword, I have to be careful around D. Bones and D.Fossils, since they're undead. Levels won't come as fast as they did with Paladin Cecil, since Dark Knight Cecil's curve is slower. As an advantage, though, the Blood Sword means I don't really have to care about most fights, or about keeping up my HP between battles.

Pale Dim and Wyvern both fall to the advanced strategy of "hold the button". Really, I could've just berserked myself. I don't equip the Deathbringer just yet though, for obvious reasons. Plague also dies this way since it can't actually hurt me.

The D. Lunars are trickier, since they're undead. They don't resist Dark, at least, so the Deathbringer will do normal damage to them. I use the normal strategy of letting them freeze themselves, which gets me the Ribbon which will keep my stats up.

Ogopogo isn't an issue thanks to the Blood Sword, which completes my equipment. Then I just start the grind to level 99, making sure my stats fall the way I want them to. At level 87, Cecil hits 9999 HP, something that Paladin Cecil never did.

This is the best I could do. Dark Knight Cecil's mental stats don't quite compare to Paladin Cecil's, and you can see it in the magic defense multiplier. That said, 6x44% is still solid, and far more than you'd ever see in a normal game. I've swapped to the Deathbringer at this point for the stat bonuses; if I left the Blood Sword on, none of these stats would be at 99.

Because we're playing Dark Knight, we've got to first die to hairball form; even at max stats, we still can't scratch it.

And even with our respectable defenses, Mega Flare still wipes Cecil.

But that's fine. Paladin Golbez comes in, dispels the barrier, and now it's a fight.

This fight plays out 100% identically to Paladin Cecil at this point. I don't bother casting Berserk, since the first Blk.Hole would dispel it. So I just hold down the button.

And Zeromus dies.

This scene plays out as normal, but then...

Is that a...ticking sound? (That you guys can't exactly hear through this post.)

We're...back in Cecil's room?

Quote:
...I can barely remember
it...

Oh well, better go meet
Kain. We have a package
to deliver.

I'm not sure there's anything to say here...

...well. With that, I've shown off everything there is to see in Final Fantasy IV: Unprecedented Crisis. Thank you for reading this far. I hope you enjoyed it.

Next time...wait, no, there is no 'next time' this time. We're done.

Old 02-01-2018, 04:50 AM
Not much of a donkey

Great LP, turtle!
Old 02-01-2018, 05:26 AM
Funko Superfan

This LP was a wild dream!

By which I mean it was crazy and delightful and I loved every second of it. Thank you so much for putting it together. Your dedication to grinding out levels for very little result is truly inspiring. If you didnít fast forward how long do you think these last few solo clears would have taken?
Old 02-01-2018, 06:33 AM

Fantastic LP, turtle! What a weird, interesting, weird hack. It sort of defies expectations by being a bit all over the place with its changes over focusing in on some particular story or mechanic driven experience. Even as a tech demo for ff4kster, it seems like a Frankenstein project that's one part fan fiction, 10 parts throwing ideas in a pot. Thanks for taking us through it!
Old 02-01-2018, 06:41 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

But wait! You should document your Mist skip run here for the sake of completeness.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:43 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Awesome LP, thanks for sharing!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:57 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
I'm not sure there's anything to say here...
Whoah whoah whoah, there is so much to say here.

So, does this basically start a New Game+ mode? Is it a New Game+ of Unprecedented Crisis or of FFIV vanilla? Do any other characters keep their stats/equipment etc. throughout the game, or just DK Cecil?

This raises so many questions!

Last edited by estragon; 02-01-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:48 AM
Not much of a donkey

The main question it leaves me with is can New Game + Cecil beat Kain in Fabul? I wonder if this hacker was crazy enough to add something there.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:50 AM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

Loved this LP, turtle, thank you for making it!
Old 02-01-2018, 10:12 AM

I said this before at the main ending, turtle, but I really liked your LP and your hard work in putting it together and learning everything is outstanding. Also Unprecedented Crisis looks really fun! I'm completely sold on playing it myself.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:55 AM
the :motion: stands

Pronouns: He / Him

Great LP of a deeply weird fever dream!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:09 AM
earthquake ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
This LP was a wild dream!

By which I mean it was crazy and delightful and I loved every second of it. Thank you so much for putting it together. Your dedication to grinding out levels for very little result is truly inspiring. If you didnít fast forward how long do you think these last few solo clears would have taken?
You can see from where I screenshot the menu screen after 'waking up' that the game clock is around 22 hours for that. Paladin Cecil went a little bit faster, as I recall; 18 or 19 hours?

Note that I couldn't fast-forward too much in the Subterrane, since I had to make sure to save state before getting into an encounter that would level me in order to get the level-up to what I wanted it to be.

Rydia had, of course, already leveled to 99 as part of Pally Cecil's grinding, so that took no extra time save for actually going through the Subterrane again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
But wait! You should document your Mist skip run here for the sake of completeness.
Here. :P

"but i mean with pictures and everything"

I'll consider it. I do kind of want to see how much faster I can make it with what I know now versus what I knew then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Whoah whoah whoah, there is so much to say here.

So, does this basically start a New Game+ mode? Is it a New Game+ of Unprecedented Crisis or of FFIV vanilla? Do all characters keep their stats/equipment etc. throughout the game, or just DK Cecil and Kain? Does Kain even keep his stats/equipment, or would he reset at certain flags?

This raises so many questions!
It's a sort of NG+ for UC, yes. Kain didn't even keep his stats/equipment here; you can see where he's level 10. No one would, except for Cecil. The game doesn't know the difference between NG and NG+, so when characters join the party, they're just initialized like always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
The main question it leaves me with is can New Game + Cecil beat Kain in Fabul? I wonder if this hacker was crazy enough to add something there.
From what I can tell in the event editor, there's no conditional if you win or lose; it goes straight into meeting Golbez anyway. As for actually defeating Kain, certainly possible.

Also possible:

Anyway, I went to try it anyway:

Nothing changes, sorry.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:15 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
Also possible:

"Well... guess we're done here."
"Yeah. Back to Baron?"
"Yeah."
"Think the king will give you command of the Red Wings again?"
"I dunno. Probably."
"Off we go, then."
"Yeah."
Old 02-01-2018, 11:35 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
It's a sort of NG+ for UC, yes. Kain didn't even keep his stats/equipment here; you can see where he's level 10. No one would, except for Cecil. The game doesn't know the difference between NG and NG+, so when characters join the party, they're just initialized like always.
Thanks! Yeah, I belatedly noticed Kain wasn't NG+ after I posted. I was so drawn to those 9999s on Cecil I didn't notice Kain was his normal self.

And what a great LP!

I appreciated that you explored it without getting too negative about it. Judging by some of the comments, I think this could have easily descended into easy potshots along the lines of "why would you replace [nostalgic thing] with [new thing], those stupid ROM hackers, amirite???" But it was a lot more interesting to read because of your more approach to the material. Nice work!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
So.....this is basically Ground Hog's day for Cecil. Every day (they're long days), he goes through the same adventure, getting punked by Golbez, killing fiends, collecting crystals. The other characters give him weird looks when he occasionally blurts out their lines ahead of them. Rosa worries about the mental tax saving the planet is putting on him. Every night he defeats Zeromus, only to wake up the next morning and start it all over again. Instead of romancing Andie MacDowell, he breaks the cycle by finally hiking Mt Ordeals and turning paladin.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Funko Superfan

Eventually, he drills holes in the hull of the ship to ensure it sinks and history takes its proper course.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

I enjoyed this LP, thanks Turtle!

Honestly, while the started off with an interesting what-if premise and ended up careening straight into fanfiction territory by the 1/3 mark, I still found it to be an interesting exploration of FF4.

It got me thinking about how I would handle a what-if of one of my favorite RPGs. Like, what would I change about FF6? It's a neat thought experiment.

Tags
bonk! , fiend of esuna , fiend of snul , final fantasy iv , gillionaire , let's play , penalty for being bard , red dwarf , romhack , the laughter years