The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Fifth Business

Try to download the games and your computer just ends up full of nylon instead
Old 12-22-2018, 01:10 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Congratulations to Lancer, myself and probably like no one else: Bethesda is gonna give away Fallout 1/2/Tactics if you bought 76 sometime early next year.

I mean, that doesn't excuse all of this but I'll take it, sure
This is certainly a nice gesture for people who don't have them, but a few things...
  1. People who play Fallout 76 on a dedicated PC gaming rig are the ones most likely to already own the classic Fallout games.
  2. Given how commonplace Wi-Fi support is on everything nowadays, it's likely that a good number of Xbox One and PS4 players may not even own a PC and thus cannot play the free PC games. Like, I haven't had a properly functioning laptop for years and I get along fine with using the PS4 browser and my Android devices for the majority of Internet stuff.
  3. Also GOG gave out all these games for free as part of a promotion some years back; I got 'em that way and I bet LancerECNM did too. Even though they were later delisted from the store, if you got them during the promotion they're still available through your library.

So I don't really see this gesture placating too many people who feel burned by Fallout 76.

Now if Bethesda actually went to the trouble of porting the classic Fallout games to modern platforms, it'd be a different story, but I don't see that happening.

Last edited by MetManMas; 12-22-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:39 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Yeah it's not great but like...it's something. And I don't have them so hey, whatever, I'll take it.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:24 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Honestly, how do they keep fucking this up MORE?
Old 12-22-2018, 10:43 PM
Absolutely The Worst

I mean, the whole submitting client side requests via plain text still hasn't really been topped... it just makes all of this a "well, of course they would be this incompetent".
Old 12-22-2018, 10:58 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Man, I'm never buying another Bethesda game again. Like. Holy shit, this has been the single worst experience I've ever had with purchasing a video game.

I own Deadly Premonition Director's Cut for the PC, which barely even runs, and it's still a better experience.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:15 PM
I hunt Mondays.

I wouldn't go that far (Arkane still makes great stuff for Bethesda, and ZeniMax really turned around ESO's fortunes), but I'm definitely gonna be wary of any future Bethesda MMO experiments made in-house.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:33 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Arkane is Bethesda? Ugh. I really loved Arx Fatalis. Too bad, I guess.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:43 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Arkane is Bethesda? Ugh. I really loved Arx Fatalis. Too bad, I guess.
Arkane Studios was acquired by ZeniMax (Bethesda's parent company) back in 2010. Since then, they've made the Dishonored series and Prey (2017). You should seriously play Prey if you haven't, I think you'd like it a lot. Demos are available.

Also the Dishonored series is allegedly great too. I say "allegedly" 'cuz I haven't gotten around to buying and playing those games yet.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:18 AM

Dishonored 1 is definitely great. Dishonored 2 has some weird issues and I never kept up with it to see if they got patched but is otherwise also pretty solid if not quite what everyone wanted it to be.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:05 AM
Trinitron Enthusiast

Quote:
I mean, you're a sucker if you spend $80 for a bottle of Nuka Cola Dark Rum but goddamn if Bethesda isn't being extraordinarily shameless in making sure people realize that they are scamming them by sending them the shittiest, lowest effort product you could imagine. Or maybe eventually sending this out since they can't even figure out how to mail a product they were offering for pre-order months ago without delays on top of delays.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:14 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

nothing new here, but I was thinking - there was a brief time when I regretted naming this thread after dysentery

that time has ceased, as it seems more and more appropriate as time goes on
Old 12-23-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Congratulations to Lancer, myself and probably like no one else: Bethesda is gonna give away Fallout 1/2/Tactics if you bought 76 sometime early next year.

I mean, that doesn't excuse all of this but I'll take it, sure
Is it really a good idea to give out absolute classics for people who bought a game that will be remembered as an absolute disaster?

Like, don't reference better movies in your movie.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:37 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Peace in our lifetime: New Fallout 76 bug prevents nukes from launching.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:50 AM
It Is Frame Perfect

I'm playing this again because I needed a podcast game and also I have no money.

Every event I play ends up not being functional somehow. It's frankly incredible.

I'm level 21, and the most dangerous thing that is not tens of levels higher than me is a group of three plus level 5 Super Mutants. Because they have Short Hunting Rifles one of the best weapons in the game. A level 1 Short Hunting Rifle is better than my melee build's Level 15 Baseball Bat. Before applying mods, anyway.

My melee build's best weapons are a level 10 10mm SMG a level 100~ player gave me and a level 20 Hardened Marksman Sniper Rifle, the fully grown version of a Short Hunting Rifle. My All-American Heat Coiled Baseball Bat is technically as strong as the sniper rifle, but, you know, much closer in.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:53 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Joseph Anderson tackled this game in an excellent video that I feel both addresses the elephants in the room and the tragically wasted potential just under the surface:

Tags
bethesda is bad actually , fallout