The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-12-2019, 12:12 PM
Fifth Business

Default Japan-only PS1 games that can be enjoyed by a fool who only speaks English

I recently got myself a Playstation Classic, and using MADHAIR'S MADHANDY GUIDE, I've been puttin' stuff on it. But just like with the SNES Classic, my main priority is trying a buncha games I've never played before, and a good place to start with New To Me content is, of course, stuff that never actually came out in America. Though, since I do not know any Japanese at all, that does of course limit things a bit to just games that either have fan-translation patches, or can be appreciated fine even when nothing's readable or understandable, or are oh-so conveniently in English despite being Japan-only releases (lookin' at you, Pepsi Man, bless ya)

I figure a list of games matching that criteria could have some use to people besides just myself, so I'm making a thread to give and receive suggestions.

RECOMMENDATION #1 FROM ME: Policenauts. It feels amazing and somehow impossible to actually be playing and enjoying this game myself, but it's happening, and it is fantastic. Experience the hard-boiled sci-fi wonder! Gain context for that little jingle at the beginning of Metal Gear Solid 1! Learn the name of the dude in Kishi's avatar!

THINGS I HAVEN'T TRIED YET SO MIGHT BE ATROCIOUS BUT WAS EXCITED TO FIND ENGLISH PATCHES FOR: those two Suikoden visual novels, and also Tear Ring Saga, made by the dude who created Fire Emblem after he left Nintendo, and also he got sued by Nintendo because Tear Ring Saga is basically just Fire Emblem again apparently, in ways that were even more obvious before the lawsuit! Magical.

QUESTION I HAVE ON THE OFF-CHANCE SOMEBODY KNOWS: I really wanna try UFO: A Day In The Life, but can't find any English patch for it. Is that a big deal, or no? Will I be fine anyway? I heard there isn't much text, but is the text that is there very important? I don't know these things.

Alright, your turn. You, reading this. Recommend one. Quickly. You're obligated to contribute. If you don't know of any good ones to suggest, fine, make one up. I won't know the difference, I'm very gullible. Give the name of your soundcloud or something, you'd trick me into googling it. Good for your algorithms.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:08 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Old 05-12-2019, 01:14 PM
Back to the Bear

Okay, I'll bite.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Gradius Gaiden, which is Non-Japanese friendly enough that I own a physical copy
Old 05-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Puzzle-Solving Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
THINGS I HAVEN'T TRIED YET SO MIGHT BE ATROCIOUS BUT WAS EXCITED TO FIND ENGLISH PATCHES FOR: those two Suikoden visual novels.
They're decent if you like both visual novels and Suikoden, having played both a few years back. Also both relatively short to get through--maybe four hours each?

I'd love to hear anything anyone knows about Mystic Ark: Maboroshi Gekijo, the PS1 follow-up to 7th Saga and Mystic Arc for the SNES.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Slammaster

Pronouns: He, etc.

I'll second Gradius Gaiden (I elaborate on it here), and I'll also throw out Harmful Park, a very weird cute-'em-up, and even though it also came out in Europe, I'll still shout-out Gunner's Heaven.

Also, the Capcom Generations collections are great ports, but they're games you probably played elsewhere.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:05 PM
Space Prez

Old 05-12-2019, 06:42 PM
Will get there eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
Learn the name of the dude in Kishi's avatar!
Martin Riggs, innit?
Old 05-12-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
I'd love to hear anything anyone knows about Mystic Ark: Maboroshi Gekijo, the PS1 follow-up to 7th Saga and Mystic Arc for the SNES.
I was interested in this, myself, after playing through Mystic Ark recently. I was poking around and stumbled across it. I didn't even know it existed!
Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

ADVENTURES OF LITTLE RALPH
Old 05-13-2019, 06:47 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
All I know is that it's more adventure game than RPG and that it has amazing music.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:54 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Old 05-14-2019, 03:49 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Beatmania exists in English! I have a PS1 copy with the decks!!
Old 05-15-2019, 12:08 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Well, it never came out here until PS2 and 7-key is just too much for my brain to handle.

Tags
recommend games , recommendations