The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-07-2018, 07:42 PM
:tweet:

Oh, I've heard of that! Ys vs Ao no Kiseki or something like that, right? It was never released in the US? Ah, well T_T
Old 02-11-2018, 04:44 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

ugggghhh I played Ys VIII forever Saturday and finally finished Chapter 5 (which is so, so, so damn long) and now the endgame is here and boy, I just want it to be over already

i think i'm at about 47 hours? I wish the game were just a liiiiittle shorter. too much of a good thing
Old 02-22-2018, 04:58 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
ugggghhh I played Ys VIII forever Saturday and finally finished Chapter 5 (which is so, so, so damn long) and now the endgame is here and boy, I just want it to be over already

i think i'm at about 47 hours? I wish the game were just a liiiiittle shorter. too much of a good thing
What the fuck? What even is Ys these days.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

So I started playing Ys VIII this weekend, and the game is doing some really interesting character work so far

You see Adol meets the first female party member by stumbling across her while she's bathing in a river, and she accidentally drops her towel so he can see her tiddies and gina

and she screams and slaps him, and grumbles about how men are perverts

what a refreshingly clever and original comedy beat, and a great way to start her character arc

I may have strained something rolling my eyes
Old 04-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Boom

Ys used to be more subtle about its pervy stuff.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:46 AM
Watch and learn

Pronouns: He/him

That's pretty much the end of it, though. I have no idea why it's even in the game, because the rest of it isn't like that at all, ridiculous costuming aside.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:57 AM
whatever it takes

That's good to know. I'm still in the early goings but I've been enjoying my time with the game so far, that one sour note aside.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Yep, Tanto is right. I think it's just there really to set up the whole "I hate you, Adol" thing. What's the word? Tsundere? Anyway, the outfits are really the only thing that remains skeevy.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:57 PM

Oooh, looks like Ys is finally out on PC.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:23 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Ahaha, and the port is still a steaming pile, unless you somehow luck into a combination of hardware that it runs stably on.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Ooof, yeah, I heard...looks like I'll put off buying it until they fix those issues.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 PM
qu'ai-je attendu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
Oooh, looks like Ys is finally out on PC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Ahaha, and the port is still a steaming pile, unless you somehow luck into a combination of hardware that it runs stably on.
Doesn't matter what combination you have. Do not get it. It's terrible.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Eh, I bought my copy ages ago, so no refund for me but I'll probably pick up the Switch version when it comes out this summer.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Sega CD version is better

Yeah, Iíll think wait until I hear word of mouth on whether the Switch version is stable or not before buying it. Weird that Falcom has gone from being a primarily PC developer to one who is chronically unable to put a good PC port out. Iím not sure we can blame it on NISA this time either, can we?
Old 04-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Are You Sure About That?

No, it's NISA's fault all the way; all of Falcom's modern ports are handled by the localizing company (usually contracted out to a porting firm). The only involvement Falcom has is their licensing money.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:26 PM

Yeah, I heard that NISA is notorious for really bad work. I was just reading on Twitter someone mentioning that previous *console* games they worked on had stuff like game-breaking bugs, like they translated a name in such a way that it caused the game to crash. Argh ;_;
Old 04-16-2018, 09:09 PM

I remember finding out my copy of Ar Tonelico 2 had a crash bug on the last boss. Not that I got there myself, mind, but learning this fact was discomfiting. Thankfully, there is a patch for it for those that are modding-inclined.

I really hate to see Ys VIII put through the wringer like this. It's an absolutely quality game. I hope Falcom never gives NISA the rights to the series again.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:50 AM
hourglass figure

Compared to how much care XSeed put on the PC ports of the Cold Steel duology (even modifying parts of how the games work to improve performance), NISA's botched job with YS VIII is just sad. Quality localization and porting is not cheap, I assume, but I don't think paying peanuts to get a mess of these proportions is worth it in the end.

At this point it's probably reasonable to expect the Switch version to have its own share of glaring issues.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:10 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

The Steam version of Ys 8 has a bug where Dogi turns into a crab.

(Dogi the Crab is on the ground. That's Dogi's dialogue box.)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:17 PM
whatever it takes

So you're saying this is the definitive version of Ys VIII
Old 04-18-2018, 08:29 PM
Are You Sure About That?

You can make the PC version mostly playable (still get framerate drops on occasion plus texture flickers in a few areas) with a few tweaks, which is nice. Hasn't crashed once on me, and otherwise makes a bad port mostly eh instead. Guessing Kaldaien or Durante will probably overhaul the internal rendering engine (which appears to be the source of 90% of the port's problems) at some point though.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:29 AM

Durante is the Dark Souls guy, right? I remember hearing about him a while back fixing up Dark Souls on the PC or something. Has he gotten an official job as a portmaster in the industry or something?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:00 AM
hourglass figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendrick View Post
Has he gotten an official job as a portmaster in the industry or something?
He has! Sort of. XSeed hired him to work on the Trails of Cold Steel 2 PC port. I hope he doesn't just fix NISA's atrocious port in his spare time out of the goodness of his heart. Quality work deserves proper compensation, and NISA doesn't deserve getting their mess sorted out for free.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:30 AM
Boom

There was some indication that he was actually providing assistance shortly after the first delay, but I don't know if anything came of it.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:21 PM
Boom

Default irrelevant stuff 'cause I wish I were playing the game right now

So, I've been listening to the OST rather than playing the game while I wait for the PC version to maybe be fixed. Anyway... I suspect that Next Step Toward the Unknown was originally the game's opening theme.

A. The title is a play on "First Step Towards Wars" from Ys 1.
B. It sounds like a typical Ys intro theme.
C. It's roughly the same length as the intro movie. If you cut the loop (which is kind of messy already) and transition to the end of the song instead, they're almost exactly the same length.
D. It's actually reasonably well synced to the opening movie already.

I feel like I read somewhere that they originally intended to do something more typical for Lacrimosa of Dana's opening, but now I can't find it... so maybe I'm making stuff up.

I kind of want do a little recut to see how well it works (outside of simply playing it alongside a muted version of the actual opening).
Old 04-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Ehhh, the problem is that the track you linked doesn't fit the mood of the game at all. On the whole, it's very downbeat and introspective.

And then the plot doesn't really gel in the third act (ch's 5 and 6), but that's more because it feels like the last parts of the game were written up one way and then redone to change several things in the details. Not to mention that the hook of Dana's end of the story doesn't really mesh with much of the worldbuilding they've already done.

VIII takes place right before VI, by the by. Currently the Ys timeline looks like this:

VIII (Dana timeline) >>>> Origins >>> I > II > III/Felghana > Celceta >> V/Kefin > VIII > VI > SEVEN

Best guess is that the next Ys game will be a remake of V/Sands of Kefin, and the one after that will be X and probably set after SEVEN. The timeline's already a bit crowded, since Adol's parts of VIII take place pretty much right after the ending of V from what I understand and there's only really a gap between Celceta and V to set an interstitial game in.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:06 PM
Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Ehhh, the problem is that the track you linked doesn't fit the mood of the game at all.
I mean, maybe that's why they changed it?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:15 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Possibly.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 AM

Got back to Ys 8 after an extended break and am now in chapter 6. I like the overall plot but the writers didn't think it was good enough and threw in some last minute villains. The character writing isn't Bioware quality but I am going to be sad to see all of them go. A bunch of strangers coming together and working towards a common goal never gets old.

I decided to "get good" at flash moves and flash guards by stacking defense to maximize my attempts. I have more luck with flash guards than flash moves, and it's pretty fun to have effective invincibility by guarding repeatedly.

Now for some random chapter 6 notes:

Any tips on beating the fluorescent level 60 dinos that use fire in half of their attacks?
Thanatos is a cool adoptive dad and not a villian who's going to backstab me? Color me surprised.
Ura is going to be Sarai right?
Old 07-12-2018, 10:59 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
Ura is going to be Sarai right?
If I remember right, Sarai's Dana's bestie and actually runs the temple right? If so, no. The game doesn't outright tell you who Ura is until the reveal, but there's plenty of hints in Dana's flashback segments.

Tags
all the ladies want adol , archeozoic big hole , bump and grind , cranky bout ys7 , dogi crushes your walls , dogi the wall pincher , falcom , ladies love cool adol , pronounced "eece" , wheels , you're breaking my walls