The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-18-2018, 02:48 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
So, if Funi now belongs to Sony, does pulling out of Crunchy mean it's now going to Crackle?
Nope, looks like just their own streaming platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I guess that means I'll be stealing My Hero Academia from now on when it comes back.

Edit: Wait, are the subbed versions staying on Crunchyroll? If so, that's confusing as hell.
The article notes there's a bunch of shows that are cross-licensed. Funimation might be intending to buy out Crunchyroll's half of the license, or they might continue to cross-stream.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:04 PM

2018 is the year that keeps on giving.

Back to piracy, I guess.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Family Man

I still have over a hundred episodes of Hunter X Hunter to watch!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:48 PM
till the sheriff stops by

If you finish Greed Island, you are good to stop. The next arc has some good stuff in it, a lot of good stuff, in fact, but it's also a huge SLOOOOOOOOG! It's grim and bleak and not fun and slow. Like I said, it's not without merit but... beware!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:27 PM
hourglass figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
If you finish Greed Island, you are good to stop. The next arc has some good stuff in it, a lot of good stuff, in fact, but it's also a huge SLOOOOOOOOG! It's grim and bleak and not fun and slow. Like I said, it's not without merit but... beware!
The Chimera Ant arc has some of the most poorly paced episodes in all of Hunter X Hunter. I vaguely remember one that was just the narrator talking while some old dude punched the air for 20 minutes.

It's also, in spite of its many lows, absolutely goddamn amazing, and if I were to recommend anyone to watch Hunter x Hunter, Chimera Ant would be foremost in my mind. I would be CRUSHED if they told me they dropped the show right before getting there.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:35 PM
till the sheriff stops by

I kind of agree, but also, I'm trying not to be cruel. It's a very bizarre mix of quality that makes it impossible to completely dismiss, but not warning people before going in feels cruel. The fact that the pacing is glacial topped with the subject matter being crazy dark makes for a maddening viewing experience.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
Admittedly I haven't read the manga so I don't know how things will pan out, and I've been wrong before (Yuri On Ice).

But the list of gay/queer/trans-coded characters (that I know of) who also do murders and/or have essentially no regard for the value of human life is:

(spoilers thru Ep. 2 Season 2)

Edogai (gay for Tsurumi, castrated, makes human skin into homo/psychosexual outfits, such as skinsuits with an arm for a penis)
Ienaga (trans, murders and eats people to become young/female)
Tetsuzou (gets a hard-on when killing animals/people, makes advances on Tanigaki)
Kazuo (somehow also gets hard-ons when seeing/doing murders, this is extremely a thing for Golden Kamuy, has a superhardon for Sugimoto and/or the Orca that ultimately kills him)

That doesn't include two characters that I'm aware of but haven't appeared in the show, one of whom apparently is explicitly gay and anally violates a bear with a sword.

It's not spoiling anything, I don't think, to say that Ushiyama and Shiraishi are both super straight; of the two, Ushiyama's the only one who's violent about it (Shiraishi's just rude). But basically everyone in GK is mentally ill in some way and does murders, and it's a little frustrating when queerness/violence/mental illness are all conflated as frequently as they are here. I love a lot of what Golden Kamuy does, but not that, and part of it may be that the spoiled characters above are all introduced in rapid succession.
This is like blatantly the worst part of the show. I like pretty much everything about the show except the shitty direction and the Spooky Gay Murders. I don't think there is a way you can read this that's in good faith, either. I'm able to hand wave it mostly because its classic anime shit but it is absolute not good or acceptable and I could understand anyone dropping the show because of it.

I enjoy how novel-esque the concept is, Kamuy reminds me of some of my favourite books from when I was a kid like The Count of Monte Cristo or 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I've never had those kinds of adventure feels from anime before. It has great set pieces, too, like a fight/conflict that echoed The End from MGS3. But unfortunately its bogged down by classic anime shit and I wish that the show didn't just, you know, equate criminal murderers with queer folk.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 PM
Family Man

Iíve heard of the Chimera Ant arc while looking into Hunter X Hunter. No real details, only that it deals with rough subject matter. Yu Yu Hakusho got pretty messed up around when Sensui showed up, so much so that I donít remember Toonami Classic getting that far into that part of the story.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:32 PM

Re: Golden Kamuy - Like I said before, I totally understand if you think the show is problematic. For me there's definitely some issues, but I can either compartmentalize and move on, or I'm not really too bothered by it. To me, I would say just about nearly everything and everyone in this comic/show is gay, so it just goes to stand that sure, some of the bad guys are too. Golden Kamuy exists in a world of completely different social mores during a violent period of history. So the messed up stuff to me says more about that, than it does about any one character being LGBTQ. I also didn't read certain characters Kylie you posed as bad either. Edogai for example, is a pretty sympathetic character, and the worst thing they do is corpse desecration - which in the broad scheme of things in this show, isn't really all that bad, just weird-as-hell. I read his whole deal as being a victim of his strict, straight mother, and exploring his "hobby" as a way of recapturing and defining his sexuality for himself in a way that doesn't really harm anyone.

Golden Kamuy is pretty amazing to me. It revels in and celebrates gay imagery in ways you just don't see in anything remotely mainstream. It presents these hyper-masculine characters and has them being gay/doing gay-coded stuff all the time. And it clearly has a love for this, and isn't trying to judge or malign the queerness of it either. Like, look at this, and tell me this isn't done out of pure love:

(NSFW; sorta spoilers)
Old 10-19-2018, 01:51 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Re: Golden Kamuy - Like I said before, I totally understand if you think the show is problematic. For me there's definitely some issues, but I can either compartmentalize and move on, or I'm not really too bothered by it. To me, I would say just about nearly everything and everyone in this comic/show is gay, so it just goes to stand that sure, some of the bad guys are too. Golden Kamuy exists in a world of completely different social mores during a violent period of history. So the messed up stuff to me says more about that, than it does about any one character being LGBTQ. I also didn't read certain characters Kylie you posed as bad either. Edogai for example, is a pretty sympathetic character, and the worst thing they do is corpse desecration - which in the broad scheme of things in this show, isn't really all that bad, just weird-as-hell. I read his whole deal as being a victim of his strict, straight mother, and exploring his "hobby" as a way of recapturing and defining his sexuality for himself in a way that doesn't really harm anyone.

Golden Kamuy is pretty amazing to me. It revels in and celebrates gay imagery in ways you just don't see in anything remotely mainstream. It presents these hyper-masculine characters and has them being gay/doing gay-coded stuff all the time. And it clearly has a love for this, and isn't trying to judge or malign the queerness of it either. Like, look at this, and tell me this isn't done out of pure love:

(NSFW; sorta spoilers)
I mean... w/r/t Edogai...

His mother wasn't just strict and straight; she literally castrated him. And while he doesn't murder anyone, he absolutely desecrates corpses for pseudosexual purposes related to mental illness. He does, after all, hear voices. I'm not at all convinced that that's somehow "better" in the grand scheme of things; desecrating corpses is incredibly vile. It doesn't help that he's literally inspired by Ed Gein, name and all. And desecration of bodies for any purpose is, by definition, nonconsensual. Even if his purpose is to define his sexuality, that's still gross as hell?

A part of the problem for me (as I've ranted about elsewhere) is that gender-fluidity, transgender identity, and queer identity generally are frequently portrayed in media both in the U.S. and in Japan as perverse and predatory - see Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs (again, gay, trans, body-snatcher and skinsuit-wearer). In a world where those stereotypes are actually dangerous to queer people, I can't get behind more queer-mentally-ill-murderer conflations.

All of which I say because I really do like Golden Kamuy; the things it does well, it does REALLY well. And then it comes out of left field and reminds me that popular culture has only two visions for me, and one is Ienaga (trans, sexual, murderous, predatory) and the other is Edogai (psychopathic, effeminate, genital-mutilated). And I think with this latest iteration, I'm done with it.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:27 PM
poisonous thread snake

This is not to refute anyone's feelings and I can totally understand criticisms being made, and likewise I respect the opinions of anyone feeling turned off or alienated by Golden Kamuy's queer representation issues.

However, all that said, I think the Japanese conflation of traditional hypermasculinity and homoeroticism and/or fluid gender representation goes back hundreds of years and is evident throughout a number of Japanese art forms.

Also, in the postmodern world, I think the Japanese have also rolled all that up with an understanding of their cultural history as having idealized and expressed a brutal Darwinian sadism. This trope- violent warriors or thugs who are effete and sexually ambiguous- seems especially prevalent in historical stories dealing with changing times and transition into the modern era, much like GK.

So while the murdery freaky queer representation in Golden Kamuy is a shame, I think the Japanese audience probably on some level sees those elements in terms of stock historical themes, moreso than "lgbtq people are strange and dangerous."

Again, that is all just to say.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:57 AM

Default *murderous jazz intensifies*

For anyone who has been interested in watching Gundam Thunderbolt but hasn't yet for whatever reason, both "seasons" are up right now on the Gundam.info youtube channel to watch for free in their movie versions:

Bandai has a habit of cycling these in and out of being available, so watch 'em while you can.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Zombie Land Saga: the decision to cut to unbearably awful CG during the dance numbers has got to be an intentional stylistic choice, right?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:32 PM
hourglass figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Zombie Land Saga: the decision to cut to unbearably awful CG during the dance numbers has got to be an intentional stylistic choice, right?
It might be? It seems to be a staple of idol shows by this point. Perhaps it's an intentional parody.

Of course, they are probably just doing it to cut back on animation costs, like pretty much every other idol anime.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:22 PM
The Great

The framerate and models for the CG stuff seemed even jankier than usual for this kind of thing, so maybe it's intentional?

It's really hard for me to tell though, since I've always felt like the quality of 3D idol/dancing stuff in anime is inversely proportional to the target demographic's age.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:36 PM
The Great

Anyway, who could have imagined the Pokemon anime would make an incredibly overt reference to Utena?

Old 10-21-2018, 04:40 PM
Kiiiryu-chan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
For anyone who has been interested in watching Gundam Thunderbolt but hasn't yet for whatever reason, both "seasons" are up right now on the Gundam.info youtube channel to watch for free in their movie versions:
Those were great! Thanks for the heads up. Though I think it's a little... cowardly of the writers to invent a a third party that both sets of protagonists can be set against. The best part of December Sky was how no matter who won, I lost. Really liked how both Io and Daryl gave up their humanity in different ways.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:33 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
The framerate and models for the CG stuff seemed even jankier than usual for this kind of thing, so maybe it's intentional?
Yeah thatís why Iím wondering. Everything else about this is super carefully constructed so the zombiesí dancing becoming super jank and robotic and off-model...
Old 10-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
Anyway, who could have imagined the Pokemon anime would make an incredibly overt reference to Utena?

Jesse went through lots of Megumi Hayashibara's costumes too.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:34 PM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

I doubt Anima Yell is going to have a ton of appeal for anyone who doesn't already have at least some affinity for CGDCT, but it did just feature one of the most wholesome, positive coming-out scenes in anime. It's really just a super wholesome and positive show all around, and surprisingly athletic too, like some sort of karmic counterbalance to both Hanebado and Harukana Receive. It's also the closest thing we'll get to a legal stream of Hugtto Precure
Old 10-21-2018, 07:51 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Because it is fucking impossible to browse... Is there anything simulcast on Amazon Prime this season that's worth watching?
Old 10-21-2018, 08:18 PM

Karakuri Circus, possibly. Itís a weirdo action show from the creator of Ushio & Tora.

I donít actually know what else is on Prime this season!
Old 10-21-2018, 11:16 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilex View Post
The Chimera Ant arc has some of the most poorly paced episodes in all of Hunter X Hunter. I vaguely remember one that was just the narrator talking while some old dude punched the air for 20 minutes.

It's also, in spite of its many lows, absolutely goddamn amazing
Man the narrative of that arc sure did Ponzu and Pokkle dirty.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:42 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Jesse went through lots of Megumi Hayashibara's costumes too.
Was going to post this also. The Pokemon anime's homage game is off the hook lately.

Also, saw this on twitter, thought it was post-worthy: a beautiful explicit coming-out scene in a cheerleading moe-blob (I think? this clip is all I've seen of it) anime.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:01 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Goddammit, do I need to start watching Pokemon TV?
Old 10-22-2018, 11:06 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenic View Post
Was going to post this also. The Pokemon anime's homage game is off the hook lately.

Also, saw this on twitter, thought it was post-worthy: a beautiful explicit coming-out scene in a cheerleading moe-blob (I think? this clip is all I've seen of it) anime.
Just to clarify, this is video of the same scene mentioned a few posts above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
I doubt Anima Yell is going to have a ton of appeal for anyone who doesn't already have at least some affinity for CGDCT, but it did just feature one of the most wholesome, positive coming-out scenes in anime. It's really just a super wholesome and positive show all around, and surprisingly athletic too, like some sort of karmic counterbalance to both Hanebado and Harukana Receive. It's also the closest thing we'll get to a legal stream of Hugtto Precure
Old 10-22-2018, 11:23 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilex View Post
It might be? It seems to be a staple of idol shows by this point. Perhaps it's an intentional parody.

Of course, they are probably just doing it to cut back on animation costs, like pretty much every other idol anime.
Can confirm. Janky-ass cg models singing and dancing has been the bread and butter of The Extremely Popular Idol Genre Show Love Live - frequently it will switch from hand-drawn animation on details, to some reasonably egregious CG dancing, as exemplified here.

Other elements of the form include a wildly janky, careening camera, and lots of visual effects and static, with the purpose of obscuring the CG itself. In practice, Love Live is just kind of an aggressively mediocre genre entry.

And, of course, in proper fashion, this episode of ZLS was titled DEAD OR LIVE SAGA. So the CG jankiness and mayonnaise-sandwich pacing and plotting of this episode were absolutely a shot across the bow at Love Live.

The problem with doing genre satire of things that are mediocre is that your satire ends up being mediocre too, unfortunately. I didn't think this episode was as strong as previous entries, but for now I'm going to chalk that up to genre issues.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Those were great! Thanks for the heads up. Though I think it's a little... cowardly of the writers to invent a a third party that both sets of protagonists can be set against. The best part of December Sky was how no matter who won, I lost. Really liked how both Io and Daryl gave up their humanity in different ways.
That's...sort of the problem with most of the immediate post-OYW side material, tbh. 0079 makes it painfully clear that the Zeon army's resources had been stretched to the breaking point by the time the Federation rolled out the RGM series with the only reason for their continued success being the tech edge they held with mobile suits. Which then rolls into the very 1944 Germany aspect of Zeon then throwing every prototype and half-baked idea at the Feds to stall their advance and failing miserably. The Gelgoog/Kampfer and a few other "production" units sort of serve in the ME-242 (?) and MP44 role; things that would've turned the tide of the war had they the time and materials to produce them in quantity.

So the endless plucky bands of Zeon holdouts can't be too much of a serious threat to a Fed Army and special forces still at the height of its war prowess, hence Thunderbolt's SE Asian separatists, which also gets into the disparity between Io's and Daryl's segments of Bandit Flower; Io still gets his flashy new RX-79 derivative and assault carrier with mooks, while Daryl's stuck with a kludged version of an outdated specialist unit and a single squad of similar units.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:53 PM
Kiiiryu-chan~

That's a fair assessment, and I guess pretty unavoidable. And since it involves psycommu stuff, that pretty much locks it into a timeframe.

Speaking of Revolutionary Girl Utena, I'm watching it! Up to like episode 15. Wow, what an absolutely glamorous show!

-- Disturbing / Triggering Content Warning, like, the rest of this post, aaaand Utena itself --

Also wow, so much implied incest! I was not prepared for this in any capacity! Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I've been reading Lilian Min's recaps from 2016 on The Mary Sue after every episode, and she's seeing it too. At least a couple instances are almost certainly the result of grooming by men in positions of power instead of the fucked up trend of light novel sister-complex wish-fulfillment..

Anthy has shown no signs of agency whatsoever. She's routinely talked about as an object, like, right next to her. And thus far, there's been no explanation for why she's just fine with all this? It's probably because incest, isn't it?

Utena's a top-tier character, but most everyone else in the cast is so irredeemably fucked up and cruel that I'm just waiting for Utena to have her dark past revealed where she set fire to an orphange for recently orphaned puppies.

Wakaba seems super nice. I'm torn on her professions of love for Utena being a jokey friend thing or being a series of the world's most heartbreaking confessions. I think she might be one of the shadow narrators.

Poor Jury... I figure that she gave Utena a sword to win Anthy back (ew gross) because even if she can't get her own miracle, maybe she can help with Utena's.

Miki's interesting in that he seems to be a genuinely good person just twisted by Touga and probably Kozune. Because again. Just piles of incest for so reason.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:21 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
Anthy has shown no signs of agency whatsoever. She's routinely talked about as an object, like, right next to her. And thus far, there's been no explanation for why she's just fine with all this? It's probably because incest, isn't it?

Utena's a top-tier character, but most everyone else in the cast is so irredeemably fucked up and cruel that I'm just waiting for Utena to have her dark past revealed where she set fire to an orphange for recently orphaned puppies.
Is she though? Sure, she at least treats Anthy like a person, but what is more cruel; the person who actively hates and denies you for who/what you are (someone with personal access to Touga), or the person who acknowledges your existence yet doesn't see you beyond that 'personhood'? Sure, the other duelists just see Anthy as a token used to get Touga's attention, but for all of Utena's fighting for Anthy as a 'person' she seems unwilling or unable to actually understand who this person named Anthy is.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road