The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-15-2019, 06:22 PM
a cessé de fonctionner

Default TT: Please teach me the ancient ways of オラオラオラオラオラオラオラ

I've never watched or read Jojo for more than an episode or couple of pages. Not cos I didn't like it, but because of not knowing where to start.

I'm fairly familiar with the material in an osmotic nerd-symbiosis, but jesus h tapdancing christ on a bicycle the actual material is almost forty years old and where do I start.

I'd prefer video, cos Other Half and I wanna watch stuff together.

Please, animu Hamon Masters and Stand Users. Show me the way.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:34 PM
GO!

Start with Phantom Blood [2012], move on from there; ignore the '93 and '00 anime, they've been redone and covered better in the modern adaptions.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:40 PM
Little Waves

I recommend reading the manga at least for Parts 1 and 2. It's not quite the same as watching a show with someone, but Lady and I read it together on a tablet. Once you get to Part 3, you can switch over to the TV anime.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Yeah there's literally nothing to do. Just watch the new (2012) Jojo series and keep going. The first season is on Netflix, but Crunchyroll/VRV have all of it. I think Hulu has it also but I don't know.

The OVAs cover Part 3 of the manga, which is seasons 2 and 3 of the 2012 show, but they change a bunch of stuff and are generally considered to be vastly inferior, so I wouldn't bother.

I mean, that's kinda it. The only other thing you can do is read the manga, but the anime is a good place to start and if you want more you can move forward with that. There's technically OVAs for Part 4 as well, but they're one-off stories starring one of the Part 4 characters, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:01 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

My personal recommendation is reading the manga from the start, because I find it a much more interesting take on the material, and Viz's current editions of it are very good. Be that as it may, the currently ongoing anime (right now in the middle of part 5) is almost single-handedly responsible for the modern English-language JoJo fandom and despite my own very specific gripes with it, it's well-loved. It's probably a lower barrier of entry in general and more accessible too, so it'll do just fine for those curious about the series.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:08 PM
so exciting!

first you draw a circle.
then you dot the eyes.
add a great big smile.
and presto, it's Jojo!
Old 04-15-2019, 07:10 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
My personal recommendation is reading the manga from the start, because I find it a much more interesting take on the material, and Viz's current editions of it are very good.
Plus I work on them (from vol. 2 of Battle Tendency onward).
Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

do what I did and just hang out with Nich until he's like "you wanna watch Jojo?"
Old 04-15-2019, 08:28 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Be that as it may, the currently ongoing anime (right now in the middle of part 5) is almost single-handedly responsible for the modern English-language JoJo fandom and despite my own very specific gripes with it, it's well-loved.
Well know I'm sort of curious what your gripes are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
first you draw a circle.
then you dot the eyes.
add a great big smile.
and presto, it's Jojo!
Your forgot the next to last step of "contort it into an odd but dramatic-looking pose".

Last edited by Torzelbaum; 04-15-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 PM
a cessé de fonctionner

Quote:
My personal recommendation is reading the manga from the start, because I find it a much more interesting take on the material, and Viz's current editions of it are very good. Be that as it may, the currently ongoing anime (right now in the middle of part 5) is almost single-handedly responsible for the modern English-language JoJo fandom and despite my own very specific gripes with it, it's well-loved. It's probably a lower barrier of entry in general and more accessible too, so it'll do just fine for those curious about the series.
I know how much manga there is and... I am currently incapable of spending that much money on books. I might check out my library though!

Edit: Looks like my library has all of the Viz re-releases. I've placed holds on Phantom Blood and will go from there!

Last edited by Gaer; 04-15-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
first you draw a circle.
then you dot the eyes.
add a great big smile.
and presto, it's Jojo!
A++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
Plus I work on them (from vol. 2 of Battle Tendency onward).
Oh snap I didn't know that, you gotta let your boy in on these things
Old 04-15-2019, 11:09 PM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

If you go the manga route, please at least have this playing in the background.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:58 AM

I think there's definitely an argument to be made that the voice acting and the music elevates the material in JoJo.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:38 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

The JoJo Manga and the JoJo anime compliment eachother, perfectly. The correct answer is both.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:46 AM
Love is OGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Well know I'm sort of curious what your gripes are.
Okay.

A big appeal in reading JoJo long-term is just how vast it is as a continuing creative work--more than thirty years of publication at this point. Since all that material can be primarily credited and sourced to a single person, its nature as a series is highly auteurial, and reading JoJo is witnessing the evolution of Araki as a writer and an artist through many highly distinct iterative stages. There are enormous tonal and stylistic differences in how he handles the comic, not only between the codified individual parts, but within them, as any one of them can encompass years and years of work and he's constantly trying new things, responding to new trends and integrating new techniques into his craft. This, more than even the stories themselves, their characters or settings, lend each story arc their individual, unmistakable identities that have kept the series creative in form as well as function for so long. It's the wild anatomical exaggeration and explosive dynamism of Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency; the amazing, vicious gazes and violent eyebrows of late Stardust Crusaders and early Diamond is Unbreakable; the wiry and lanky queer stringbeans of Vento Aureo and Stone Ocean and the incomprehensible layouts therein; the stiffly austere statuesques of Steel Ball Run and JoJolion and the highly present narrative decompression. There is no one way to regard the periods in Araki's creative arc and career; everyone will inevitably have favourites slanted to one direction or another, or intermittently have something hook them here and there. The stark visuality plays a huge part in that, as expressed through the very era-specific treatment of everything JoJo is and has been.

The anime, by contrast, exists in its own context, where it's operating under the calculated, even sanitized conceptions of a codified JoJo aesthetic, because it has all that material and hindsight to rely on and pattern itself after. Interacting with it is more cohesive as a result, but aesthetically it is flatter and far more sedate, something that affects the production heavily in all the parts before Part 4, where they finally chose to take the colour theory in the show to a more high-contrast, eye-poppingly abstract direction that captures and translates the vibrancy of Araki's own colour work. Before that the show was a muddy, dreary mess, and seriously impacted my enjoyment and investment in it. The art style too across the board does not reflect the diversity in Araki's original material--as a serialized TV animation, compromises are inevitable and expected, but the distinct personality of each story suffers for the more consistent treatment the series is afforded. There's also a lot to be said for questions of pacing a show--especially when it comes to JoJo's more interminable and wearying narratives like Part 3 or the currently ongoing Part 5--and how those rough spots can be mediated by the partly reader-dictated pace of interacting with a comic in ways that a more passive media format does not allow for. There are aspects to the work in its native medium that are unique to it in that context and which are particularly tough to substitute.

I don't think the anime is a bad adaptation; in many ways it's likely the best you could reasonably except a JoJo adaptation to be. It's just that the specifics of what I find interesting about the series don't translate at all into what it is, so I rarely have reason to pick it over or alongside the source material.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 PM
What's Shenmue?

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm sure you already have an inkling about this, but it's worth reiterating and emphasizing: JJBA is broken up into several parts, each of which is effectively a standalone story— new cast, new setting, new conflict, new tone. Some characters recur between parts, and some plot points come into play later on, but anything important is explained in the part itself. I think that makes the length a lot more manageable; you can take it at your own pace without worrying about forgetting something (and if you just plum don't like a part, you can skip it and continue on, without issue).
Old 04-16-2019, 08:25 PM

Personally, i've read the first volume of the manga and there was nothing in it that interested me. I'm curious to know why the series is so popular in the first place - i wonder if it is because of the silliness, or if it has some heart in it. That's why i'm typing this - i'd love to know why people like the series!
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 PM
Binglebottom

Asking what people like about the series after only reading Phantom Blood is explainable, but the arcs are different enough that what you enjoy about one might not be what you enjoy about another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaer View Post
I'd prefer video, cos Other Half and I wanna watch stuff together.
Just watch the David Production anime and read the manga if you want to (it's good!). I'd also recommend the Studio A.P.P.P. Stardust Crusaders OVA from the 90s which looks good despite a muted palette.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:21 AM
Love is OGR

Koyasu is definitive, but Nobuo Tanaka's old man tenor as DIO in the 1993 OVA is always going to be my favourite aural portrayal of the character.

Tags
anime , jojo's bizarre adventure , manga , recommendations , yare yare daze