The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 04-16-2019, 11:28 PM
We just don't know.

Default RIP Gene Wolfe, giant of science fiction.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...r-dies-aged-87

His obituary is really deep and interesting, but you need to read it three times to figure out when he was born and what his children were named.

Maybe this means it's about time for that BotNS re-read I've been considering for a few years.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:39 AM
hidden in snow

If you do, you should read along with Loki and Bulgakovís excellent podcast Alzabo Soup. They catch so much more than I do on my casual reads, digging into the etymology so you can focus on the story.

Every Gene Wolfe book Iíve read has been interesting at the least, and amazing at the best. Iím looking forward to completing my reread of the Solar Cycle along with Alzabo Soup by 2030, and in between novels have dug into his short fiction, which is also great. The Best of Gene Wolfe compilation is an excellent starter for his short stories, and thereís three or four other compilation books to branch out from there.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:59 AM
ドラキュラの様な奴

Pronouns: He/Him

I only just started reading Book of the New Sun last year, thanks to getting to know the folks behind Alzabo Soup (and I'm gonna parrot John's recommendation here). It's quickly become some of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy, with a really good approach to worldbuilding, which is usually my least favorite part of any speculative fiction.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:10 AM
Cookie Clicker Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
If you do, you should read along with Loki and Bulgakovís excellent podcast Alzabo Soup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula
I only just started reading Book of the New Sun last year, thanks to getting to know the folks behind Alzabo Soup
Appreciate the shilling for us! Your checks are in the mail.

If you've never ever read Gene Wolfe and want to get started, we usually recommend all three novellas of The Fifth Head of Cerberus if you prefer Sci Fi, and The Sorcerer's House if you prefer fantasy. Each of these works are pretty self-contained, and they also have some nice indicators about when some of Wolfe's favorite narrative tricks (misdirection, omission, unreliable narration, under-description) come into play.

The Book of the New Sun is an amazing series, but it's also Wolfe at his most baroque and dense. It's often easier to know what to look for in this series if you're "primed" by reading one of his shorter works first. It gives you practice for when he throws the million curve balls of this work at you.

I'm biased, but Wolfe is definitely an author worth checking out. It's sad that so many people are only going to discover him because of his death.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:45 AM
We just don't know.

I read Fifth Head of Cerberus and then went back through the first story with the podcast a ways back. (I only didn't do the rest because... so long...)

I've read BotNS before, so I can probably read through with the podcast as I go along this time!