The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He
Default Digital Down-Low for 08/09/2018: Thou Shalt Put No Dog Before Me

To make the merry-go-round go faster, everyone has to hold on tighter. Just to keep from being thrown to wolves.

Once again, pretty light week on PSN (mostly re-releases, and Dead Cells, which I mentioned last week), so the most significant thing is We Happy Few, a creepy walks-em-up that, for once, isn't creepy because of the haints, boogems and slendersmen and whatnot, and mainly because you're walking through a Stepford Wifey super-pleasant British town that is very obviously the result of your crazy, crazy brain reacting to... ahh geez... thing from Clockwork Orange.

You know what I mean, Malcolm McDowell watched a bunch of explosions and what not and that made him go reverse-crazy?

That thing.

And on to the Switch where, as usual, everything came out. And, as usual, it's mainly stuff that already came out, on other platforms. Repeatedly, as in the case of Okami HD which is the... what, fourth time Okami has been ported? Well, can't much complain when it's Okami of all things. Can't find too many 3D Zelda games that rival it in terms of quality. Travel scenic Fantasy Japan as a Very Good God who demands scritches and scruffles on her way to save the land from gigantic monsters using murder-calligraphy.

And speaking of games that are basically Zelda, we also have Minit! Which enthrizzlates me! Minit is a teensy-tiny Zelda style adventure game that operates on Reverse Groundhog Day rules; you die in 60 seconds (hence the title) and have to restart the game, but changes to the world you make in that time persist, so each run you can make a bit more progress. The games super digestible and feels a lot like a more frantic take on Fairune. Which is enormous praise.

Blobcat kind of looks like the sort of cruft that I usually skip over for expediency sake, but a quick glance at the screenshots reveals the secret horrible wonderful truth, this is 100% Chu Chu Rocket. Like... not even attempting to be subtle on that front. It is the ChuChu Rocket as you're likely to see in this, the year of our lord 2018.

Next up is a game that makes me stop and go "Oh, hey, okay!"; that ALSO came out on PS4 a while back but which slipped out of my radar and now I see it and am interested all over again; Megaton Rainfall, an FPS where giant alien spaceships attack the planet, and you fend them off by being Superman.

Well... the guy is shown shooting hand-lasers, so I guess he's more like Captain Marvel (either of them), but STILL, flying over tall buildings, stronger than a locomotive, and able to punch giant spaceships into outer space.

If anyones played this, I would be SUPER keen on hearing more.

Speaking of superheroes, we have The Amazing Shinsenhumi: Heroes in Love. Who, admittedly, I do not believe are the kind of heroes who get cinematic universes. They are the kind who put out burning buildings, however. And they also do the other kind of put-out, for this is a book-em-up where you can Choose Your Own Adventure. And what those adventures are, are dates with Steamy Anime Bachelors.

Next up is another game I preordered as soon as it became available and was SUPER EXCITED to learn it got a Switch port; Cosmic Star Heroine, the most recent (and, honestly, best) game from ZeBoyd, a group that made games that I loved, but which had scripts that I did not. This one is Actually Just Fine in terms of writing, and looks and feels like a mish-mash of Phantasy Star and Chrono Trigger.

It's also the game with the absolute, hand down strangest bug I'd ever encountered in a game; where I reloaded a save and suddenly found myself in a section of the game MUCH farther along than where I left off.

I suppose someone may have broken into my home in order to play a low% challenge run. Which, honestly, may have been more likely an explanation. BUT ANYWAY, this is a very good chunk of video game, and I am very excited to finally play it on the toilet!

And the last thing to which I am aware is ALSO something I've been hankering to try out ever since hearing it was coming to Switch, even though its in a genre I normally despise; 2064: Read Only Memories Integral. Though I suspect that my enthusiasm here is mainly because this looks a hell of a lot like Snatcher, which I also always wanted to play (and which is unlikely to ever get re-released). It's a book-em-up set in the future of Anime City where you and a robot must solve FUTURE CRIMES!

Err... like C.O.P.S. Not like Minority Report.

And the Switch version has more CRIMES to solve, on the grim and gritty streets of Anime Future San Francisco.

Also, this is coming out long after the guy who owned the company who made the game originally was fired for being a Gross Crap Dude, so you don't have to worry about him getting one thin dime from the sales.

Okay, anything that is sneakily released in the future will be mentioned when the future happens. Right now, it's still the present, howver, so you ain't getting nothing more today. DEAL WITH IT!
Old 08-08-2018, 09:59 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Fuck. Okami, Cosmic, Minit, Overcooked 2.

Nintendo killing me with pleasure here.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:50 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Cosmic Star Heroine has possibly the worst ratio of jokes attempted to chuckles realized of any game I've ever played. It tries so hard, but it's just not funny. It's fun to play, though.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:56 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Have you played ZeBoyd's other games? Their output is where humor goes to die.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Mystery Contraption

The game is Airplane compared to the rest of their output
Old 08-08-2018, 02:22 PM
:O

Default Can't believe this missed opportunity

Thou Shalt Pet No Dog Before Me
Old 08-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Mystery Contraption

Crap!

Some Kind Mod please correct my terrible mistake!
Old 08-08-2018, 03:39 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The game is Airplane compared to the rest of their output
The first two Naked Gun movies are funnier than Airplane.

There, I said it and I'd say it again.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:44 PM
Mystery Contraption

I haven't seen Naked Gun recently enough to refute that!

Airplane is still a VERY funny movie, however!
Old 08-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I picked up Cosmic Star Heroine well over a year ago during a PS4 sale but still have not played it. I should rectify that.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:40 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Airplane is still a VERY funny movie, however!
It is!

Pretty much any Zucker/Neilsen project pre-Dracula: Dead and Loving It is guaranteed fun comedy times.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

Top Secret doesn't get enough love.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Mystery Contraption

Opted to gamble on Megaton Rainfall. Not displeased, so far.

As noted, it’s pretty much a Superman game (maybe closer to Tom Sciolis Godland), structured much like the conceptually brilliant (though admittedly, not very fun) Superman Returns game; it’s open world and you are completely invincible, but No one else is. Instead of a health bar for you, there’s a life bar for the city, and letting innocent people die or wanton property damage depletes it.

The games controls are kinda clumsy and you’re honestly about as likely to wreck the city as the aliens you’re fighting, but that really just helps the game; you’re supposed to be a guy who only just recently became omnipotent and had barely any time to figure out how to do anything before aliens showed up, having a hard time getting around and safely fighting helps sell that.

Harder to defend, however (but easier to excuse considering the size of the development staff), we the games visuals. ‘‘Tis not a handsome game, with pretty bland looking textures and some horrendous pop up. You can tell what’s an enemy and what’s a building though, and that’s what’s important.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Sega CD version is better

So does Okami Switch let you use the analog sticks for painting, or is it touch screen/motion controls only? I still got those launch joycons with the crappy range, so I’d rather play with the pro controller in TV mode.

Tags
digital downloads , dog dog dog dog dog dog , octo does not do research , take a look its in a book , tiny zelda