The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Yeah, I haven't followed his writing in years. I'm glad if he's become a better writer since.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:40 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

Overclocked.org, the spin-off from Overclocked Remix(or was it the other way around?) that had webcomics and game reviews, from those glory days when emulation was opening up the wild frontier of retro gaming for the first time.

The main Overclocked Remix website is still going in it's modern incarnation, but this bit hasn't been updated since two thousand and one. Pickled in time, like gherkins in a jar.

I also spent a lot of time on Zany Videogame Quotes. Look, pre-youtube we took our videogame yucks where we could get them, even if that meant downloading a hundred out-of-context samples of terrible voice acting. This one's only been inactive since 2013, that's peanuts really.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:11 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

wow that overclocked comic is um

quite a thing of its time
Old 08-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Man, I wasted a lot of time on ZVGQ back in the day... I think I'd pretty much read the entire archive at one point.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:12 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
I think the only thing I want to say about Old Man Murray is: fuck Old Man Murray.
Woah, hang on just a minute. That article might be desperate to draw a direct line from Old Man Murray to G4merg4te, but it seems like an awful lot of reaching to go from "These guys are heroes to gamers and they did some shitty things in the past so they might not be so great," to "They're responsible for everything bad about gaming culture that's happened since."

I would never make excuses for any of the misogny/racism/homophobia/transphobia that one might encounter on OMM or in any old gaming media, it shouldn't have been acceptable then and it definitely isn't now. But the truth is there was worse stuff out there which the article barely touches on, I cringe when I think back on some of the stuff on Seanbaby's site, Fat Chicks With Party Hats et al. The point being, trying to single out Chet and Erik as the sole progenitors of the toxic culture that spawned G4merg4te, as this writer attempts to do, strikes me as being disingenuous to say the least.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:40 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Like basically any attempt to claim that something is a clear cut historical first or an origin point, the article definitely overreaches.

That being said, fuck Old Man Murray.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

I'd rather the author overshot in their attempt to frame their argument and larger point than leave it unsaid, because the attitudes detailed in the article are definitely the most loud and dominant ones when people remember that site, so pushback against them is appreciated. You don't need to agree with every point made in the process to value what's being said. Even if the site is not single-handedly responsible for the discussed culture, it was greatly influential to it, contributed to and celebrated it, and reflects it.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

As was Something Awful. I liked that site until it fixed its cross hairs on people I knew and liked, proving that cruel humor is always entertaining until you and yours become the target.

It wasn't just the fact that they were hitting a little close to home with their articles... the humor got lazy and the targets got increasingly vulnerable. They were spending a lot of time punching down, so when Uwe Boll cleaned Rich Kyanka's clock in a boxing match, I didn't feel too much sympathy for him. Oh, you said you weren't prepared? You didn't have a chance against him under those conditions? Gosh, I'm sure every person who you wrote an article about in the mid 2000s can relate.

I had a web site back in those days too, and there were certainly things I published that I regret. But damn, Something Awful turned online cruelty into a cottage industry and a cult of personality. It had to be at least as much of a contributor to the gate as OMM.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Accidental AvatarOverlord

Good ol’ Glitch City Labs is still up and kicking, forums included: https://glitchcity.info/wiki/Main_Page

The Encyclopedia Obscura not so much: http://www.encyclopedia-obscura.com/

Edit: Thanks Archive.org! https://web.archive.org/web/20170506...a-obscura.com/
Old 08-10-2018, 05:08 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
As was Something Awful. I liked that site until it fixed its cross hairs on people I knew and liked, proving that cruel humor is always entertaining until you and yours become the target.

It wasn't just the fact that they were hitting a little close to home with their articles... the humor got lazy and the targets got increasingly vulnerable. They were spending a lot of time punching down, so when Uwe Boll cleaned Rich Kyanka's clock in a boxing match, I didn't feel too much sympathy for him. Oh, you said you weren't prepared? You didn't have a chance against him under those conditions? Gosh, I'm sure every person who you wrote an article about in the mid 2000s can relate.

I had a web site back in those days too, and there were certainly things I published that I regret. But damn, Something Awful turned online cruelty into a cottage industry and a cult of personality. It had to be at least as much of a contributor to the gate as OMM.
Well okay, I wouldn't give it that much credit...

For me the focus of SA was always the forums, I think there's a good reason they outgrew the main site so quickly, because they were (and still are to a lesser extent) a great place to hang out.

I agree that Lowtax getting and trully Bolled was a long time coming though.

Tags
web 1.0 , websites