Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM
concentrate

Leland!!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Leland is probably the best date.

We won't get much of a chance to use this, so let's see what it does.

Whee.

It's only okay, but it's still the best of the three skills you can get.

Guess it's time to get on with the plot.

Susan:
Gettys, you trained me in the dark arts. You made me the stone cold killer I am today. Look how crazy I am, standing here talking to the doorway. When I find you, I'm gonna scalp you.

Emily:
All the life surrounding this place has been sucked dry. All that's left is that horrible, horrible smell that I remembered smelling in Charles' room.

Leland:
If we don't want to climb the tower and fight Gettys directly we could always call my people up and gnaw it down, guys!

None of this is affected by who you picked for your date.

Emily:
We fight to bring the light of justice back to America!

Leland:
We fight to fill our stomachs!

Susan:
We fight because we want to kill you dead, Gettys.

And with that, it's battle time.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:06 PM
Yes, let's feast!

C. Kane's Journalism debuffs are useless here. I mean more useless than usual. Worse, nothing you sling out does more than a single point of damage.

Gettys spawns allies that you actually can kill.

And, aha, this is the key to killing him.

Unfortunately, the turn after you kill his minions, he'll blast one of your heroes into ash.

He has some colorful allies. I forgot what rock was weak to in this fight (ice), which meant it took a turn longer than it needed to.

After several rounds of this, Gettys becomes fully vulnerable. He dies in another couple of rounds.

Might be my favorite line.

Emily:
Charles... I saw this before, in a dream. God comes to me and says that I must let you go alone from here.

Leland:
That's dumb! Why would God want Charles to die alone?

Emily:
I hate to say this, but Susan's right. The top of the tower consumes soul energy on contact. If any of us three sets foot on that roof, we're dead, and we won't come back.

Susan:
Charles and Gettys... two men withous souls. Charles, if you go up those stairs, there's no coming back. It may be the last time you see any of us.

Leland:
Charles, don't go! It's not worth it! Isn't it better to slowly rot away with your friends than to throw your life away on a smelly roof?

The game clearly marks that this is the point of little to no return. If you want to DATING MINIGAME, do it now.

This is Charles's only line in the game.

Gettys:
...the greatest weapon known to man.

Your pops found it deep under the sea, some sort of lost treasure from back before the world turned to shit.

The Old Ones used it as a last resort to save what they could of this here planet. Almost everythang died, almost every continent fell into the sea... but the power of Rosebud kept a small number of humans alive.

Calvin... Marshall... Andre... Curtis... Gregory... Damon... Dwayne... Marcel... Del.[/i]
[aside: I have no idea what the significance of these names is.]

The nine greatest all time sorcerers, kid. I've learned myself in their tradition. They were the ones who stopped the apocalypse. They died so we might could maybe live on.

I need the power of Rosebud, Charles. I need it like you ain't gonna believe. It's here, ready to be used. It's time to end things once and for all.

Time for another MORAL CHOICE.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Yes, let's feast!

I let him summon Rosebud, because why not?

Gettys:
I can't control Rosebud alone, bro. Why you think I took on an apprentice? I thought maybe Susan could master that there magic power.

Turns out she just didn't have enough rage in her dang heart to cast dis spell, and I've got too god damn much.

It was always you, Charles. The one who knows all kinds of balance of hate and joy. The one who can use this magic to set back the clock on the apocalypse one more time. I never knew it 'til you whooped my ass in battle.

So yo, throw your hands up in the air. I'm gonna lay some magic down on you.

Time for a FINAL BATTLE.

As insinuated, Charles has a new attack.

We also have Gettys on our side for this battle. We've seen Heal III and Resurrect in Alice's skillset, but GettysBeam is new.

Not that it matters. Gettys will spend his turns healing Charles.

GEHENNA hits too hard, but again, the Journalism debuffs don't work here. Gettys casts Resurrect only to have Charles fall before he can do anything.

I lose.

Time for a different approach.

Throwing Gettys off the roof throws me into the Gehenna battle without Gettys. Well, this isn't going to work.

Something occurs to me, though. Isn't there something the game has been hinting at all along?

That's right! We've seen all of the clues.

___T _ ____

__RT _ ____

__RT _ __W_

__RT _ _OWL

__RT _ BOW_

__RT _ BOWL

_ART A BOWL

...Okay, clearly this is not the solution I'm looking for.

NEXT: Leland ending

Until then, feel free to vote for the ending you want to see after that.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Special Update

The soundtrack has been released. Please listen to every song.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:23 AM
*Hero of Lore - 20XX*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Special Update

The soundtrack has been released. Please listen to every song.
There are no words.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikkuryuu View Post
There are no words.
It's the world map
Tells you where you at
It's the world map
Yo where you wanna go?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

That soundtrack is something... something special.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikkuryuu View Post
There are no words.
At least three of the songs have words. I'm not convinced you listened to any of it!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:52 AM
*Hero of Lore - 20XX*

Quote:
At least three of the songs have words. I'm not convinced you listened to any of it!
That I could not form a coherent sentence that was above common misinterpretation should be proof enough that I listened to the whole thing!
I still can't describe it though. It's just too talented for my plebian mind to grasp.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Haha holy cow you guys

http://kotaku.com/this-is-actually-t...mes-1372585682

(the rest of the LP is coming soon)
Old 09-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Previously on Let's Play C. Kane: Soundtrack! Also, Jason Rohrer wrote an article about this game?

And now, the thrilling conclusion.

So clearly the last encounter was meant to be won by legitimate means. That means Charles needs to be able to survive a hit. Fortunately, I have a lot of HP- and defense-boosting gear that I wasn't using on him. Let's put it on and give it another go.

Here's a shot of Rosebud in action. It does a very large amount of damage, making it the best unbuffed attack in the game.

Our newly-embeefened Charles has no problem taking down the boss.

The world used to be healthy. We're the ones who poisoned it using the very means necessary to save it. By stopping Gehenna's incursion into our reality, we saved what remains of our country, but at impossible cost.

The damage done here today traveled backwards through time, rewriting and ripping history to shreds.

As I watched Gehenna's toxins spread through history, I watched the very core of human DNA be rewritten. We became more machine, less human. Our entertainers became our warriors. Our future became our past.

What happened here today always happened. The loop cannot be broken. Whatever caused Gehenna to appear in the first place was preordained in a history that wasn't our own.

I see everything, and touch nothing. What will be will be. All this has happened before. All this will happen again. The only thing to do now is to go back and live my life the only way I know how.

When I returned from my questing, I was flat broke. I tried mooching money off of Emily, but her new husband chased me off with a broom. My mother and Robodad were gone. I couldn't find Susan anywhere.

In desperation, I turned to my best employed friend-- Leland. She offered me a job at that terrible log eating restaurant and I started from zero. Minimum wage.

As it turns out, there was nothing wrong with this job. It was less soul crushing than fighting monsters and less scummy than being a Media Mogul.

I eventually learned to love it, and could bake the best bark in the remaining world. We even attracted human and robotic customers to what had once been a beavers only taste.

Leland and I eventually became co-owners of the restaurant when the head chef died under extremely suspect circumstances. There are no police left, so it never mattered. He had no family. At least I had Leland.

Many times, I'd look back on that adventure and think of it as the best time of my life. Later, I'd realize it was among the worst.

Perhaps I've seen the best and worst of what this world had to offer.

Perhaps it's time to go portal hunting again.

Maybe it's time to see what kind of world waits on the other side.

Who knows. Maybe I could finally make everything right again. But for now, I'm going to sleep.

Postmortem

This is a really weird game.

I mean, you knew that. But what I mean is it's not the kind of weird I expected, if that makes sense. Instead of pretending to bear any similarity to the movie that is the game's namesake, it tells the mostly-silly story of a silent protagonist who embarks on a quest he has no interest in. At the eleventh hour, the story takes a serious spin, culminating in an ending that is too bizarre to take seriously and too serious to be funny.

I'm really not sure what to make of this.

The game is at its best early on, when it knows it's a joke. I love everything about the Marines, and I think the MORAL CHOICE is the absolute high point of the game in most respects that matter. Once the game enters its final act, it undergoes an identity crisis, which is maybe still tongue-in-cheek, but if so, the tongue is too far into the cheek to be recognizable.

Mechanically, the game does some interesting things. Using the shark in place of random encounters allows you to grind if you want, while presenting interesting combat puzzles like Nurseshark. The game respects your time, though: grinding is unnecessary, travel takes seconds, and there are no random encounters.

But this is an Art Game, and perhaps it's best examined as such. Despite the often-terrible graphics, it's clear that this game was finely crafted in ways that I couldn't adequately cover in this format. Whether it's tucking flavor into every nook and cranny or giving new dialogue to NPCs you probably skipped in the first place, C. Kane is packed with little things that would be called Easter eggs in another game, one that wasn't littered with them.

In the author's words, "Yes, to the people asking, the game is satire, but I hope it's still fun to play for the hour or two it lasts even if the story's all a big joke. I made C. Kane as a loving jab at a lot of little things I find silly about indie games, but if anyone actually takes its story seriously that would be the funniest possible outcome for me."

Finally, an LP of this game on Talking Time would not be complete without this:

Next: The other endings
Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Holy Swine

Bravo, Mogri. Thanks for showing this off. Unlike most of your other micro-LPs, I don't think I'll be playing this one, but reading the LP was a fun experience.

I, too, miss the marines.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Bravo, Mogri. Thanks for showing this off. Unlike most of your other micro-LPs, I don't think I'll be playing this one, but reading the LP was a fun experience.

I, too, miss the marines.
Please tell me you went out and played Hi-Ho Cherrio after I covered that.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:50 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Please tell me you went out and played Hi-Ho Cherrio after I covered that.
No way; I had already had enough of that to last a lifetime!

You got me hooked on Dungeonmen (which the level with the birds successfully unhooked me from) and your own 7th Saga-ish game (which I guess Kalir did, not you, but you brought it up). The latter was especially fun because it's more like a puzzle game than an RPG; I still pull it out from time to time and try to beat my own records in terms of resources left over.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
No way; I had already had enough of that to last a lifetime!

You got me hooked on Dungeonmen (which the level with the birds successfully unhooked me from) and your own 7th Saga-ish game (which I guess Kalir did, not you, but you brought it up). The latter was especially fun because it's more like a puzzle game than an RPG; I still pull it out from time to time and try to beat my own records in terms of resources left over.
Haha, sweet.

I'm in the middle of a different project at the moment, but maybe I'll revisit that when I'm done (which will hopefully be in the next couple of months - look forward to it).
Old 11-26-2013, 04:06 AM
Haunted

Pronouns: He/Him
Default Let's Play Sopwith

Hi guys, let's play some Sopwith! I'll press S for single player.

Here we are in our Sopwith Camel. Let's take off:

Seems like a fairly accurate depiction of early aviation. Let's send in another pilot:

This one does a little better, but still crashes pretty quickly. My score is in negative numbers.

Our third man, although also quick to crash, manages to take out an enemy structure in the process. The white dots coming out the front of the aircraft are machine gun fire, very effective against buildings.

Our fourth flies past the just-destroyed building and takes out another through collision.

And number five takes a brave shot at that hill but it gets the better of him.

This is the bad ending to the game.

Maybe I should explain what's happening here. This is Sopwith, made in 1984 by David L. Clarke to demonstrate a PC network product. Two players control World War 1 biplanes and try to shoot each other down. I'm playing in single player mode, where the aim is to destroy all the buildings. You can also play single player against a computer controlled opposing plane. The multiplayer I think is no longer possible.

I start over, having turned the speed down in DOSBox to make controlling the plane a bit easier. So far so good! The controls I'm using here: press X to increase speed before take-off. Comma raises the nose of the craft, / to lower it. The number at the bottom left of the screen is my score: zero. On the right side is a map showing the entire playing field in miniature. Next to that are four vertical bars. The first represents how many lives I have left. The second is fuel. If I fly around too long I'll run out and crash. The other two are ammunition for my guns and bombs. Say, we haven't seen bombs yet:

They're quite difficult to aim. In frustration, my pilot flies a tight loop the loop, then flies up to the top of the playing area, stalls, and crashes. I'll admit, it looks like I'm not guiding these pilots very well, but in fact I'm having input trouble. Notice that the plane angles upward slightly, then after a delay moves through the loop: I'm holding the comma key the entire time, but the game doesn't repeat the action immediately. The loop is over so quickly I don't manage to stop while turned back, and once I come out of it I don't have space to try to turn back again.

My next man takes the fight to the enemy airfield. It's unoccupied, since I'm playing single player with no enemy planes, but never mind that. A quick burst of machine gun fire and the hangar explodes. Sadly, debris from the explosion takes the plane out.

Let's see that again in super-slow motion. This is my next pilot, sacrificing himself nobly for the cause. Enough senseless waste of human life! Rather than trying to shoot these buildings, let's bomb them!

Bombs are hard.

I manage to turn back from the mountain at the edge of the playfield. Pressing the full stop key rolls the aircraft, getting me back upright. Unfortunately I follow this by immediately hitting the top of the playfield, going into a spin from which I do not recover (I believe that it is possible to recover, though). What's happened here is I've gotten the controls wrong. The comma key will always raise the nose of your plane (relative to itself, so it you're upside down it'll send you downwards), but I've been thinking of it as rotating the craft anticlockwise. Hence I pressed it intending to move the plane downwards, which moved it upwards, and I crashed. I followed this by quickly sending my last pilot into the ground.

OK, let's try this again. Having mastered flying unopposed, this time I've chosen single player against computer.

Turns out that the computer is as bad at piloting as I am. I do a loop to celebrate.

This leaves me unprepared for the arrival of my next opponent. I again go into a spin. I manage to recover, but too late to avoid a crash. At least I took that tank with me. My opponent carries on to my airfield and crashes into my next plane as it takes off.

For a couple of seconds, we manage an actual dogfight. Which I lose. The enemy doesn't have long to celebrate, though.

And my last man goes out in a fairly spectacular crash on take-off. I think it's crashes like this that gave me such fond memories of this game. Well, actually of its sequel/update Sopwith 2, which improved the graphics, controls, and enemy AI, and added animals to the playfield. But that's a story for another micro-LP. See you then!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I had this game back in the day. I remember the computer enemy being much more competent than this.

Bombs are definitely the way to go. It may be easier to aim if you dive while bombing, but I haven't played in long enough to know.

The titular aircraft is the Sopwith Camel, created by the Sopwith Aviation Company. Snoopy pretends to fly this plane in Peanuts. In actuality, Manfred von Richthofen, the Red Baron, was pursuing a Sopwith Camel when he was fatally wounded by a bullet fired by a different Sopwith Camel.

Reputedly, Richthofen's final word was "kaputt."
Old 11-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Sudden chomper

Wow, that's a blast from the past. I had no idea that the game was meant to be played competitively over a network, though!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Haunted

Default Let's Play Sopwith, part 2: Let's Play Sopwith II

Here we are again with Sopwith II. I'm not really sure of the exact history of the program, but I think this is in fact just a later version rather than a proper sequel. Note that there are now two options for multiplayer, neither of which I know how to implement, and a range of control choices. I pick single player and IBM keyboard only, and get to it.

Here we are on the landing strip. Note the changes visible already: the ground is a line instead of a solid shape, there's a cow, and a flock of birds drifting into view. Also note me rolling my craft about on the ground.

I take off and check out the scenery, which seems largely the same. A few stray birds drift about. Unlike the earlier version of the game, this one runs at the proper speed without me fiddling with the DOSBox emulation rate. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get the .gifs running at quite the right speed, so they're a little slower than the real thing.

Following Mogri's advice, I attempt a dive bombing. Unfortunately I get the order of events wrong and blow myself up.

My next sortie starts off a little better.

And even when I repeat the same suicidal trick I manage to take an enemy structure with me.

Any goodwill I might've earned through this action is quickly lost when I bomb a cow. An enemy cow, though!

I also manage a startlingly accurate shot against an already-destroyed building.

I put my guns to good use against an enemy tank, then float around uselessly for a bit. Note that when I go left I'm flying upside-down. I'm not sure that that's realistic biplane behaviour, but I find it easier than rolling back to upright, because it keeps the controls more consistent: pulling up will turn the plane anticlockwise. If I roll myself upright, I tend to pull up when I mean to go down, and the reverse.

This scene, while disastrous, is also a pretty good killing spree.

I need to learn to keep my distance.

Especially when I'm blowing up fuel tanks! The blast throws me high into the air, and I crash to earth spinning. Game over.

Starting over, I head left. I had an idea that the buildings behind me might be friendlies, so that in multiplayer each pilot can attack their opponent's ground forces, but it looks like they're all hostile.

I set about wrecking up the place, with some success.

I even manage to take out the building on the hill on my first pass! This is much easier in Sopwith II than in the first version, because I can now hold down the buttons and turn in a tight loop instead of having a delay. Still, the two high buildings (along with the fuel tank) are the hardest to destroy without dying, because of the limited space you have to turn away from them.

I start heading back and destroy myself against a tank.

My next pilot takes aim at the remaining building on the left. Unfortunately I forgot that bombs come out the underside of your aircraft, even if you're upside-down. Adding insult to injury, I think that the bomb was on track for the building before I interrupted it.

My next man manages to blow it up, but a stray bird wrecks his engine and he goes down.

Something similar happens to the next guy.

I just can't seem to stop catching my own bombs! Let's start over, again:

This is, frankly, embarrassing.

Now there is a quality bit of flying.

I struggle with the elevated buildings.

I fly too high and go into a spin from which I am unable to recover.

I'm sort of getting the hang of bombing.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:53 PM
Haunted

I pull a tight Immelman turn. I wouldn't normally do this, because I don't like flying to the left while upright in this game.

Here's why it happened: pressing the h key will cause the computer to take control and return you to base for refuelling/reloading.

With bombs back on board, I get back to destruction.

Once again, altitude proves to be a deadly foe.

I pull off a nice dive bombing on this tank. Of course, since I was flying directly at it my machine gun probably would have done the job equally well.

I stall again going for the mountain building.

I try a new approach: I gain a suitable altitude and fly in intending to shoot at the building and then drop away to turn. Unfortunately a flock of birds makes this impossible. Fortunately I destroy the building anyway.

Heading for the left side, I drop by base to fill up.

Ugh. Let's try this again:

Not a strong start.

That's pretty good, though.

Things are looking up!

Aww. That first shot was a direct hit, but I guess it takes more than one to blow a tank.

Still, I seem to be getting the hang of things.

This game can be pretty picky about accuracy sometimes.

I get it together.

With this tank out of the way, I'm down to two enemies left.

I'm also almost completely out of fuel. After a couple unsuccessful passes at the fuel tank I hit h and let the autopilot take me home. Unfortunately, it hits a bird. I think you can take over for the autopilot by using any of the controls, and I guess this is why.

One more tank down. All that remains is the fuel tank.

It's not a bad idea to blow up the fuel tank last, and this is why: my plane turns immediately into the background, avoiding the explosion that would have surely killed me otherwise.

Here's level 2. It's just like level one, except that the ground enemies shoot at you. Here's WWI fighter ace Eddie Rickenbacker on the dangers of ground fire:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Rickenbacker
To score a fatal hit these invisible missiles of death have a great space to fill when a small aeroplane and a still smaller pilot are at a height of ten or twelve thousand feet above earth. Even when flying through the defensive fire of a balloon battery at two or three hundred feet elevation or when cruising along the trenches but fifty feet above the rifles and machine guns of the enemy we learned to disdain the furious fire that was turned upon our swift flying planes. Experience had taught us that the non-flying sharpshooter is wofully ignorant of the rapidity with which we pass his aim when we are traveling at the rate of two miles a minute—exactly 176 feet each second! It requires a second or more for him to steady his aim. How many riflemen can compute the exact point 176 feet ahead of their gun-muzzle where the bullet and the pilot's head must meet in order to bring down the prize? Not one! 'Occasional hits are made at random, but the percentage is ridiculously low.
His book Fighting the Flying Circus, which you can read at the link above, is a very interesting first hand account of WWI aerial warfare. Despite the above, there's another earlier passage where he talks about his shock at seeing the shrapnel holes in his plane after his first flight over enemy lines.

Ground fire in Sopwith is somewhat more accurate than the real thing.

I think my favourite thing in the game is the slow arc you fall in after getting shot down.

Even when I manage to dodge enemy fire, a stall gets me. Well, that's it for today.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:33 PM
concentrate

I remember playing Sopwith at a friend's house on an ancient Amstrad 8086 PC. Good times.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Sudden chomper

I don't think I ever had the chance to try Sopwith II, because I don't remember dying to any birds. And I'm pretty sure I found every way there was to die in that game!
Old 11-27-2013, 03:48 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Interesting. I've never heard of this game (but the Amstrad was never my thing). It reminds me of the arcade game Sky Kid.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Sopwith was available for DOS. I don't know what an Amstrad is, but I played this game on our IBM PC.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Media Sellout

Pronouns: He him

Those gifs are beautiful. All of them.

You hitting yourself with a bomb is the best.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Haunted

Default Let's Play Sopwith, part 3: Let's Play Sopwith II Versus Computer

Hello gang. Me again. I went in to work this morning only to find out I'm on an afternoon shift, so I have a few hours to kill. Let's wrap this up!

Here's my first round against the computer. It lasts a bit longer than my attempts in the earlier version. Note the improved enemy plane behaviour. It even knows how to recover from a stall! I can't do that! Despairing of ever getting into a position to hit it with my guns, I attempt to bomb it, and come pretty close to success. Then I try again and blow myself up. I'm reminded of this Kate Beaton comic.

Dogfighting is the real Sopwith. I gotta imagine this would be amazing versus another human. I manage to take out two planes and the fuel tank, at a loss of one cow and one of my own machines.

This round doesn't go so well. I do manage to shoot the enemy cow, which to be honest is nothing to brag about.

This is just sad. Birds on the runway!

And a low-speed crash on take-off finishes me off. It seems like you get more debris when there are enemy planes involved? Anyway, let's try again:

Not an awful start: two of theirs and a building for one of mine.

Another mid-air collision.

I take another shot at bombing an enemy plane, flinging a bomb high into the air and circling beneath it. Eventually my loops get loose and I crash just in time to see my bomb come back down and my enemy escape. Darn.

I think this is my favourite of the lot: I manage to shoot down a couple enemies, then I blow myself up over their airstrip. Not a great move, but falling debris takes out the next couple enemy planes.

And I finish with a head on collision and my craft thrown backwards into my own tank.

So yeah, that's Sopwith. It's a really fun game, and I recommend giving it a shot. The creator, David L. Clark, has a version available for download on his website.

Bonus:

I was playing around just for fun after recording this update, and suddenly I was facing off against two planes. I don't think that's how it normally works, and I'm not sure how I triggered it this time (I haven't really done my research). Unfortunately I wasn't recording at the time, so you don't get to see how I managed to get them to crash into each other without getting killed myself, but here's a later take with a three-plane pile-up.

Further Bonus:

I decided to try again, and it looks like the game spawns up to three enemy planes when you fly into their areas: one on the left, one on the right, and one at the airstrip in the middle. Unfortunately I wasn't able to bait the one from the left into a four-way battle, but I got the other two in for a crash together (not sure what's going on with the exploding plane between). If you watch the mini-map in the last few frames of the gif you can see the purple dot representing the enemy plane still in the air falling towards the ground. Unfortunately I cut off recording before it crashed.

Last edited by Yimothy; 11-27-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Holy Swine

My favorite is the bomb shot straight up in the air that takes forever to come down. Ha.

Thanks, Yimothy! This was fun.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Banned

What? A mini blind LP of an underappreciated game? How suitable for this thread!

Perhaps you played Shinobi or Ninja Gaiden as a kid, or you raged in the streets or beat'em'up in The Bouncer's alleys. Whatever your experience with Contra may entail, rest assured this game is better, in my opinion, than Bionic Commando and more platform friendly than Donkey Kong on gameboy ever was. You want to hear more about the genre or should I go ahead and load up level 1?!

A bank robbery, a harbor heist or an airport highjacking. I choose the middle one since I went on easy mode. The scene progresses with key pickups and gangsters dropping dynamite. I lose a bit of health and ignore a lightning-shaped drop that I'm not sure what it did, but I ignored it! And also I didn't get the heart that dropped at one point even though I was hit once.

Loving the rapid-fire ninja stars and jump mechanics, good air control and the Megaman-/Richter style duckslide is killer good. Reminds me of some of the things that one Castlevania game did with the fightery guy, I think he was optional in Portrait of Ruin maybe. Anyway, lots of cool combos involving swords as well, timed hits and the like.

To be continued next time I have some spare time! I'll probably upload a video for the next one so people can see gameplay mechanics.

This is a great game so far, not the best choice for a screenshot LP as usual but see if I care!
Old 12-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Banned

As a bonus, I recorded through the first mission, Bank Robbery, to show some of the early moves.

Tags
not worth its own thread