The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 09-06-2017, 06:24 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Alright then, if it's okay with everybody I'll make good on my promise and start drafting something up for this month's LP ROUNDUP post.

This is fun!
Old 10-15-2017, 01:20 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Do we have a streaming thread any more?

I was looking at Twitch and there's a "communities" option. Would there be any interest in making a "talking time" community so people would be able to join and then others could use it to find active talking time related streams? Is there already one of these I could join?

I could go ahead an make one if there's any interest. I don't know how effective communities are at driving viewers on twitch but I figure it couldn't hurt.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:38 PM
Rollin' around.

Do people like Hitbox/or whatever it is called now, or Twitch more? I might stop being a lazy ass and stream shit for certain games.

Also, maybe somebody should do a tutorial for the new OBS Studio, because I'm a untalented hack (I'M GIVING YOU THAT JOB BEAT HINT HINT).
Old 11-21-2017, 03:56 PM

Do folks know about cubeupload.com? It is a free image host with great features for LPers!

1. You can set it to retain your original filenames. Experimentation shows that if it needs to be 100% unchanged, then the names need to be at most 23 characters (not including the extension).

2. You can upload a batch of images all at once via drag and drop and then you get a single list of forum embed codes for all those images you just uploaded.

Point 2 is a game changer, you don't even need predictable filenames once you have that. Just paste that into a text file and start typing your commentary paragraphs around it.

They don't compress images, and the upload limits are generous when I researched it. No bandwidth limitations AFAIK.

I know Lady has provided a generous alternative, but it is worth making this better known. You may also find it more convenient besides.

Are there any downsides? I only found one: they don't let you create albums yet (and it's probably not coming soon either). I thought this was a major bummer until I realized you basically don't need them. Your "albums" can be a text file where you paste your BBC code from point 2 for safe keeping. And if you want to move images from on album to another, just move those URLs around into different sections of the file. That's way easier than a web interface!
Old 11-25-2017, 06:33 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

CubeUpload does seem to work well, I just restored my Rad Gravity LP with it, since that was my shorter one it was good to test it with.

Only thing I dislike is that we can't create folders, which is a problem as I relied on folders at Photobucket since all my LP images had similar filenames across each one (001.png, 002.png etc). However, since it doesn't look like we need to verify email addresses I think I can just sign up for multiple accounts, one per LP, and organize them that way.

Actually editing the posts is, at least, simple if tedious thanks to the magic of a word editor with Find/Replace.

So with Rad Gravity back online I'll start working on the Goemon LPs soon, though they might take a bit since they're longer, but it should be done.

This won't help with literally every other photobucket image I've used on this forum over the years, but what can ya do?

EDIT: It took a bit of time, but the LPs for Goemon 2 and 3 are now fixed!

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 01-02-2018 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Rollin' around.

Anybody recommend a good video subtitle program so I can upload a transcript to YouTube?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:06 AM
Awake

Pronouns: He/Him

Is there any way to break the image limit for a single post? Iíve been putting images into the table of contents in the first post of my Linkís Awakening LP, and in a few more updates Iím gonna hit the max. Alternatively, could I make a backdated post somehow to get a post I can edit as the second one in the thread?

If itís no go Iíll figure something else out, but I thought thereís no harm in asking.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:48 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

raise image cap to 100
Old 08-01-2018, 08:11 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Default EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TEST POST FOR EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TESTING.

AN IMAGE, SELECTED COMPLETELY AT RANDOM, AND DEFINITELY NOT INDICATIVE OF MY SENSE OF HUMOR OR MATURITY.

THAT SAME IMAGE, 24 MORE TIMES BRINING US TO 25 IMAGES, WHICH IS THE CURRENT POST LIMIT. ᴀɴ ᴀʀʙɪᴛʀᴀʀʏ, ғᴏᴏʟɪsʜ ᴀɴᴅ ᴅʀᴀᴄᴏɴɪᴀɴ ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʙᴇɴᴇғɪᴛs ɴᴏʙᴏᴅʏ ᴛᴏ ʙᴇ sᴜʀᴇ.

THAT SAME IMAGE, BUT THIS TIME POSTED WITH OUR BRAND NEW [THUMB] TAG!

THAT IMAGE IN THUMBNAIL FORM 50 MORE TIMES!
GUYS I CRACKED THE CODE!

Last edited by BEAT; 08-01-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:37 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Default BONGO PICKED THE 290 HEIGHT LIMIT CUZ HE CORRECTLY THOUGHT IT "LOOKED GOOD".

Basically the [THUMB] Tag is not counted as an "Image" (even though it's totally just a shrank-down version of the full image) and can be posted however many times you want in any single post.

The proper and correct answer of course would be to just get rid of the stupid, useless image limit, and for a proper let's play post you want the images to post at full size instead of having to click all of them.

THAT SAID!

The thumb tag resizes images ONLY if they're taller than 290 PX or Wider than 430 PX, two numbers that were basically chosen at random. and a quick copy-paste of one of your let's play images into Paint tells me you're using x2 Game boy screencaps which come out to 288 pixels, so you can literally just substitute the IMG for THUMB in your tags and never worry about image limits again.

Last edited by BEAT; 08-01-2018 at 08:58 AM. Reason: I THEN SUGGESTED THE 430 WIDTH LIMIT BECAUSE 16:9 ASPECT RATIOS. YES I AM THAT MUCH OF A FUCKING NERD.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:44 AM
Awake

Wow, nice! I don't generally mind the image limit, but in this instance my failure to plan ahead left me stuck. Since the images I'm using in the contents page are 90x90 pixels, I guess I can switch to THUMB and go nuts, assuming this isn't fixed before I need them. Thanks!

Last edited by Yimothy; 08-01-2018 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Forgot to say "thanks"
Old 08-01-2018, 08:51 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Of course the thumb tag WILL make mousing over your image change your cursor to a magnifying glass... that will do absolutely nothing when clicked, as seen on this gif from my S3 Complete LP.

THE PRICE WE PAY.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:01 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
stupid, useless image limit
If there are a lot of images (especially if they're large animated GIFs) it can take a long time to load a page or even just a single post especially if you don't have a great internet connection. So I would not say the image limit is stupid or useless.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:15 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
If there are a lot of images (especially if they're large animated GIFs) it can take a long time to load a page or even just a single post especially if you don't have a great internet connection. So I would not say the image limit is stupid or useless.
Most LP entries consist of 4 consecutive posts with 25 images each. The only way it's saving time for people is if they happen to be split across two forum pages, which is just annoying for the reader. I'd be in favor of having no image limit in the LP subforum, and maybe just being a little more careful about who we let post there to keep the bots away (not that we really have a problem with bots, but that's the only risk with allowing lots of images in a single post).
Old 08-04-2018, 05:04 PM
Awake

I prefer having updates split across multiple posts just because I donít get enough comments in my LPs to get each update onto a different page and so the extra posts per update reduce the number of updates per page (Iím currently hoping for someone to make one more post in Linkís Awakening to get it on to the next page). I could do that myself if the image limit were raised, I guess, but it also makes it easier to quote the right part of other peopleís LPs, especially since I mostly post on my phone, and if Iím having trouble getting images to load I can put up the posts of an update one at a time so Iím only trying to load 25 images instead of 100 or whatever.

The image limit is kind of annoying, but it does have upsides.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:10 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

On the one hand, I agree that it's helpful to split large updates across several posts. On the other hand, you can still do that without an image limit.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
(Iím currently hoping for someone to make one more post in Linkís Awakening to get it on to the next page)
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who does things like this.

(Inb4 turtle points out that people could theoretically be viewing a different number of posts per page.)
Old 08-07-2018, 10:54 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
(Inb4 turtle points out that people could theoretically be viewing a different number of posts per page.)
I am well aware of all the insane ways people peruse TT.

INSANE.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:03 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Why anybody would want to see less than 50 posts per page is beyond me.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:07 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
I want to use whatever the default is because that's what 90% of people are seeing, and I want to know if I just buried what I'm replying to on a previous page, or how my LPs updates break across pages, etc, for the typical user. Otherwise I would absolutely crank the number up and then never look back.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:54 AM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

merely 20 posts per page is a relic of a less en-interneted age
that said I set it to 40 if only to blithely nod my head when people make "holy crap a new page" posts
Old 08-07-2018, 03:27 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
(also muteki the default is 30)

Tags
how do i screenshot web , tech support