The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default May the jackals feed well on your bones! Let's play Infidel!

You wake slowly, sit up in your bunk, look around the tent, and try to ignore the pounding in your head, the cottony taste in your mouth, and the ache in your stomach. The droning of a plane's engine breaks the stillness and you realize that things outside are quiet -- too quiet. You know that this can mean only one thing: your workmen have deserted you. They complained over the last few weeks, grumbling about the small pay and lack of food, and your inability to locate the pyramid. And after what you stupidly did yesterday, trying to make them work on a holy day, their leaving is understandable.

The Professor's map was just an ancient map -- as worthless as an ice cube in the Arctic without an instrument fine enough to accurately measure longitude and latitude. You knew that the site was nearby. You dug, and you ordered the workers to dig, even without the box. As you listen to the plane and rub your aching eyes, you pray they left you supplies enough to find the pyramid and to survive, and that the plane's carrying the long-overdue box.

INFIDEL
Copyright 1983 by Infocom, Inc. All rights reserved.
INFIDEL is a trademark of Infocom, Inc.
Release 22 / Serial number 830916

Your Tent
(You are in the army cot.)
You are in your tent. Golden rays of the sun filter through the open tent flaps on the southern wall, but no breeze makes its way through. The dry, searing heat in the tent would be bearable if only the air stirred, even a little.
At the foot of the cot is a large, unwieldy trunk. The trunk is closed and locked with a padlock.


Welcome to my newest LP! Infidel is Infocom's tenth interactive fiction game, and the first in their "Tales of Adventure" line. As you can tell from the intro, we're pretty much starting out in media res, with most of the backstory available in the documentation. Long story short, the protagonist works for a treasure hunter named Craige, but wants to make a name for himself. One day, an old woman calls the office while Craige is out, wanting Craige to find a pyramid that her father couldn't. Seeing an opportunity, the protagonist tells her he'll do it, not telling Craige. However, things don't go so well, until it reaches the point here - his workers drug and desert him after he forces them to work on a holy day, and it begins as he wakes up from his drugged sleep. Anyway, let's check this place out.

>stand
You push yourself up and manage to get out of the cot. Your legs are a little wobbly, though, and your head swims.

You hear a plane flying high overhead, outside the tent.


That's the plane mentioned in the intro. By the way, the "box" is a device that can precisely calculate longitude and latitude, if you're wondering. Anyway, might as well do inventory.

>i
You are empty-handed.

You hear a plane flying high overhead, outside the tent.


As expected, and the trunk is locked, so we probably can't open it. But that doesn't mean we can't examine it.

>examine trunk
It's an old steamer trunk, very heavy and too clumsy for one person to carry.

You hear a plane flying high overhead, outside the tent.


So we won't be able to carry it. There's nothing else to do here, and only one exit, so let's take it.

>s
Outside Your Tent
You are on an east/west path on the north side of the encampment. To the south you can see a firepit and to the north is the entrance to your tent. Everything is oddly quiet, unsettling, creating a feeling of floating anxiety. The stillness seems to enhance the eerie quality of the desert, the feeling of being truly alone. There's an enlarged hole in the sand, a remnant of your excavation attempts.

The plane seems to be circling right overhead.


Lots more exits here, so this seems like a good stopping point. Where to from here?

Inventory:
None

Score:
Your score is 0 out of a possible 400, in 4 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a fumbling beginner.

Exits:
East from Outside Your Tent.
South from Outside Your Tent.
West from Outside Your Tent.

Current puzzles:
A locked trunk.
Finding the lost pyramid.

Code:
  a
  |
 -b-
  |
a=Your Tent
b=Outside Your Tent (you are here)

Last edited by Kahran042; 08-11-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-27-2017, 12:37 AM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,577
Default

Wave arms at the plane, then west!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2017, 11:55 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Wave arms at the plane, then west!
Sounds good to me!

>wave arms at plane
You can't see any arms here!


Apparently I don't have arms. Who knew. Maybe...

>wave at plane
The plane dips its wings in salute.

You look up to see a small speck appear right beneath the plane -- probably a parachute. The plane heads off far to the northwest, dipping its wings in a salute.


That might be impotant, but let's check out what lies to the west first.

>w
Near the Nile
You are on an east/west path on the north side of the encampment. A path to the south starts here, and you can see the riverbank clearly to the west. A warm, light breeze reaches your face, drying your sweat into a thin mask of salt. You glance to the north and are greeted by a disheartening sight: an endless stretch of searing desert. There's a small hole in the sand, a remnant of your excavation attempts.

A small speck descending from the plane overhead gets larger until you see a crate, dangling from a parachute.


That crate might be important, but what to do next?

Inventory:
None

Score:
Your score is 0 out of a possible 400, in 8 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a fumbling beginner.

Exits:
East from Outside Your Tent.
South from Outside Your Tent.
West from Near the Nile.
South from Near the Nile.
North from Near the Nile.

Current puzzles:
A locked trunk.
Finding the lost pyramid.

Code:
    a
    |
 -c-b-
  | |
a=Your Tent
b=Outside Your Tent
c=Near the Nile (you are here)

Last edited by Kahran042; 07-31-2017 at 03:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2017, 12:05 PM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,650
Default

Wipe your face! Then you can open the crate.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2017, 01:26 PM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,577
Default

Also west again.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2017, 11:20 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default

Two suggestions today, so let's give them both a shot. First, Mogri's.

>wipe face
I don't know the word "wipe".

>open crate
Hey, give it a chance to get here. I know you're impatient to get on with this, but be reasonable!

At last, your luck seems to be changing. A large crate lands right before you, its parachute flapping in the breeze. The parachute breaks away from the crate and drifts off in the wind.


Thankfully, it's landed now, so let's...

>open crate
The crate opens slowly, the boards creaking with the strain. Opening the packing crate reveals a navigation box.


It's the navigation box! Shame that we don't have any workers, but let's take a look at it.

>get box
Taken.

>examine box
This is an expensive, state-of-the-art piece of electronic equipment. It was designed to automatically determine longitude and latitude when the button on it is pressed. Thankfully, it has at last arrived.


And now let's check out the west, per Gerad's suggestion.

>w
River Bank
You are on the bank of the river Nile. The shoreline is sandy and cool, and reeds wave in a light but warm breeze. Directly to the north and the south thickets make strolling along the bank impossible. You're hot, and the cool rippling water to the west looks inviting, but you're not alone in that thought -- crocodiles bask on the west bank, eyeing you hungrily, just waiting for you to enter their watery domain. Things were never like this when Craige was around.


What to do now?

Inventory:
A navigation box

Score:
Your score is 0 out of a possible 400, in 13 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a fumbling beginner.

Exits:
East from Outside Your Tent.
South from Outside Your Tent.
South from Near the Nile.
North from Near the Nile.

Current puzzles:
A locked trunk.
Finding the lost pyramid.

Code:
    a
  | |
d-c-b-
  | |
a=Your Tent
b=Outside Your Tent
c=Near the Nile
d=River Bank (you are here)

Last edited by Kahran042; 07-31-2017 at 03:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,650
Default

Better push that button!

And then we can go for a swim. Everyone knows Nile crocs are tame!

And then we can stop letting Gerad lead us astray. Go east, east, east to undo his misguidance.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2017, 03:29 PM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Better push that button!

And then we can go for a swim. Everyone knows Nile crocs are tame!

And then we can stop letting Gerad lead us astray. Go east, east, east to undo his misguidance.
No! North it must be!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-31-2017, 03:35 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default

We've got quite a few ideas for what to do, so let's start with the non-directional ones.

>press button
The box comes to life, its L.E.D.s lighting, and then flashes 24 degrees 11 minutes 7 seconds N latitude, 32 degrees 12 minutes 33 seconds E longitude.


That could be useful...but how? Now to try taking a swim.

>w
Can't you see the crocs? If you insist on entering the water, you'll have to swim.

>swim
You manage to wade a few feet into the river, but this makes the crocodiles spring into action -- they advance far more quickly than you thought possible. You panic and turn to the bank, attempting to flee. Your splashing about makes the beasts double their efforts and reach you just as you are about to step on shore. The last thought you have is a slight amazement at how many teeth a crocodile has and just how sharp they are.

**** You have died ****

You feel yourself disembodied in a deep blackness. A voice from the void, or perhaps it's just your dying thoughts, rings in your ears.

"Obsessions are the torment of men's souls, reaching out for something greater than life has offered. Perhaps this is what makes the difference between an ordinary mortal and an adventurer!" It is the last thing you hear.


For some reason, this game doesn't give the Restore/Restart/Quit option, it just asks you if you want to start again.

Anyway, let's explore this area some more. Gerad suggested going north, and Mogri suggested going east. There's no path north of River Bank, but, as Mogri said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Go east, east, east to undo his misguidance.
I'm not sure if that means to go east three times or is just saying "go east" three times for emphasis, but I'll assume the former.

>e
Near the Nile
Lying in the sand is a wooden packing crate.

>e
Outside Your Tent

>e
Northern Path
You are on an east/west path on the northern side of the encampment. To the east you can see the sites of previous excavations your workers had begun before they deserted you. Low, gentle sand dunes roll out of sight to the north, but your camp's eastern border has a path, heading off to the south, which starts here. There's an enlarged hole in the sand, a remnant of your excavation attempts.


Where to from here?

Inventory:
A navigation box (displays precise latitude and longitude)

Score:
Your score is 0 out of a possible 400, in 13 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a fumbling beginner.

Exits:
South from Outside Your Tent.
South from Near the Nile.
North from Near the Nile.
North from Northern Path.
East from Northern Path.
South from Northern Path.

Current puzzles:
A locked trunk.
Finding the lost pyramid.

Code:
    a
  | | |
d-c-b-e-
  | | |
a=Your Tent
b=Outside Your Tent
c=Near the Nile
d=River Bank
e=Northern Path (you are here)

Deaths: 1 (eaten by crocodiles)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-31-2017, 07:23 AM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,577
Default

Into the hole! Then north.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 AM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,495
Default

east from northern path and examine the excavations
south from outside your tent and examine the fire pit.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-01-2017, 10:02 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default

Gerad's suggestions were first, so let's try them first.

>enter hole
You hit your head against the hole as you attempt this feat.


Guess we can't enter the hole. But let's see what's to the north.

>n
Desert
You are in the desert, a vast wasteland of sand and heat.


Looks like there's not much to the north. So let's check out some of the camp, per Taeryn's suggestions.

>s
Northern Path

>e
Desert
You are in the broiling sands of the desert, a short distance from the camp. Off to the west you can just make out a slight discoloration in the sand, the start of an east/west path which borders the northern edge of the camp. There's a small hole in the sand, a remnant of your excavation attempts. A cool pool of water seems to dance in the heat waves just a mile away. You can almost hear Rankin and Craige arguing over the spoils.


Maybe this hole is more examinable?

>examine hole
Never mind that -- Here's a better problem: You dig a hole 52 feet by 20 feet by .105 yards. It takes you 5 hours, 11 minutes and 2 seconds. You sweat off thirty grams of water per hour. And your best friend just ran off with the rent money. Now: How much sand is in the hole you dug?


Nice little Easter egg there, but let's check out the fire pit.

>w
Northern Path

>w
Outside Your Tent

>s
Fire Pit
You are in the center of the encampment, standing before a charred pit, a hole dug in the sand surrounded by blackened rocks. The night breezes have already started the reclamation work of the desert, covering most of the pit's bottom. You can see your tent to the north, the work tent to the south, and the supply tent to the west. Far off to the east, through the heat waves rising off the shifting sands, you can see gentle, rolling dunes. There's an enlarged hole in the sand, a remnant of your excavation attempts.
Half covered with sand is a bright piece of foil which catches your eye.
Sitting by a rock is what looks like a matchbook.


There's actually some stuff here, so let's take a look at it.

>examine foil
It's an empty pack of Camel cigarettes.

>examine matchbook
The matchbook is closed.


And, if it's closed...

>open matchbook
Opening the matchbook reveals a few matches.


A source of fire is always useful in these games, so let's take it.

>take matchbook
Taken.


The cigarette pack probably isn't so useful, but it's not nailed down, so...

>take foil
Taken.


Where to from here?

Inventory:
A cigarette pack
A matchbook
  • A few matches
A navigation box (displays precise latitude and longitude)

Score:
Your score is 0 out of a possible 400, in 29 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a fumbling beginner.

Exits:
South from Near the Nile.
North from Near the Nile.
North from Northern Path.
East from Northern Path.
South from Northern Path.
East from Fire Pit.
South from Fire Pit.
West from Fire Pit.

Current puzzles:
A locked trunk.
Finding the lost pyramid.
Trying to navigate the desert.

Code:
    a f
  | | |
d-c-b-e-g
  | | |
   -h-
    |
a=Your Tent
b=Outside Your Tent
c=Near the Nile
d=River Bank
e=Northern Path
f=Desert
g=Desert
h=Fire Pit (you are here)

Deaths: 1 (eaten by crocodiles)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-01-2017, 11:34 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,650
Default

South from c! Don't believe Gerad's lies!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-01-2017, 12:06 PM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,495
Default

west from Fire Pit and gather supplies (hopefully)

edit (unless that's the same place as Mogri wants to go, then revise to South from fire pit)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-01-2017, 01:14 PM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
edit (unless that's the same place as Mogri wants to go, then revise to South from fire pit)
I see how it is
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-01-2017, 01:18 PM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I see how it is
There needs to be a third faction in this direction war you and I are having.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 PM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default

Don't worry too much about the faction war. I take all suggestions, so I'll do them in the order that seems most efficient. First, seeing what lies south of the fire pit.

>s
Outside Work Tent
You are on an east/west path, directly to the north of the work tent. To the north you can see the firepit and, beyond that, your tent. The work tent borders an endless vista of fine, burning sand stretching out to the south. There's an enlarged hole in the sand, a remnant of your excavation attempts.


Lots of exits from here, but let's check out the other two suggestions. I'm assuming that south from Near the Nile is the same as west from Fire Pit, so...

>n.w.
Fire Pit

Outside Supply Tent
You're on a north/south path on the west edge of the encampment. Directly to the west is the supply tent, its flaps open, still in the hot, quiet air. To the east you can see the central firepit, a reminder of your being alone. A row of thickets, impossible to make any progress through even with a machete, grows along the western edge of the camp directly to the north and south of the tent. There's an enlarged hole in the sand, a remnant of your excavation attempts.


The supply tent...that might just be useful, and Taeryn did suggest getting supplies. But let's see what's north from Near the Nile first.

>n
Near the Nile
Lying in the sand is a wooden packing crate.

>n
Desert
You are in the desert, a vast wasteland of sand and heat.


Aaand...it's more desert. So let's see if there's anything in the supply tent.

>s.s.w.
Near the Nile
Lying in the sand is a wooden packing crate.

Outside Supply Tent
You scowl at the sun, cursing its searing heat.

Supply Tent
You are in a tent, very much like your own -- a tent which had originally contained the supplies for your expedition. You notice, however, that most of the items which were here just yesterday have vanished with your workers. The tent looks as if it's been cleaned out and, as your stomach growls, the empty tent ironically reminds you of a turkey carcass picked clean after a huge Thanksgiving meal. Through the open tent flaps to the east you can see the firepit. If only one of the workers had remained behind, you would make him pay.
Stuck in the sand, handle down, is a small pick axe.
Half buried in the sand, in the corner of the tent, is a shovel.


Ah, now those might come in handy for excavating the pyramid...if we manage to find where it is.

>take pick, shovel
pick axe: Taken.
shovel: Taken.


So, where to from here?

Exits:
North from Northern Path.
East from Northern Path.
South from Northern Path.
East from Fire Pit.
East from Outside Work Tent.
South from Outside Work Tent.
West from Outside Work Tent.
South from Outside Supply Tent.

Inventory:
A shovel
A pick axe
A cigarette pack
A matchbook
  • A few matches
A navigation box (displays precise latitude and longitude)

Score:
Your score is 0 out of a possible 400, in 38 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a fumbling beginner.

Current puzzles:
A locked trunk.
Finding the lost pyramid.
Trying to navigate the desert.

Code:
  k a f
  | | |
d-c-b-e-g
  | | |
l-j-h-
  | |
   -i-
    |
a=Your Tent
b=Outside Your Tent
c=Near the Nile
d=River Bank
e=Northern Path
f=Desert
g=Desert
h=Fire Pit
i=Outside Work Tent
j=Outside Supply Tent
k=Desert
l=Supply Tent (you are here)

Deaths: 1 (eaten by crocodiles)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-16-2017, 09:28 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,650
Default

North, and then light the liquid on fire.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,495
Default

Take the narrow staircase.
Get eaten by a grue.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,650
Default

Oh shoot, I missed the obvious answer. Believe Gerad's lies!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-20-2017, 03:14 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default

Since we're in a new area, there are plenty of suggestions, so let's try them out. First of all, the One True Direction.

>n
You take a few steps down the steep staircase when suddenly you lose your footing as you try to walk on air. You fall a mere 25 feet straight down and, landing on your head, regret your attempt.

**** You have died ****

The great mysteries of the ancient pyramid remain unsolved. Although your desperation has served you well in getting this far, to get farther requires a wisdom, tempered by experience.


That little bit of text appears every time you die after entering the pyramid, if you're wondering.

Guess that didn't work out so well. Fortunately, we have the power of reincarnation, by which I mean the restore command. So, after restoring, let's try Mogri's other suggestion.

>burn liquid
(with the match)
Poof. There's no need to get burned up about it though...

**** You have died ****


Guess that it doesn't just smell volatile. But maybe it tastes better than it looks or smells?

>drink liquid
I don't think that the liquid would agree with you.


I'm honestly surprised that didn't kill me. Let's try another exit. North didn't work out so well, so let's try going...

>s
(down the winding staircase)
It is pitch black. Off in the distance you hear hideous squealing and what can only be the sound of thousands of tiny, clawed feet coming closer.


Probably thousands of tiny grues. Let's go a bit further down this path and see if they want to be friends.

>s
Oh, no! An army of eleventy-seven rats, starved for affection (and food), leapt upon your body in a show of rodentine appreciation and devoured you!


Aww, they did want to be friends! <3 ^_^

Unfortunately, they apparently took the term "friends for dinner" a bit too literally. Where to now?

Exits:
North from Chamber of Ra.
East from Chamber of Ra.
South from Chamber of Ra.
West from Chamber of Ra.

Inventory:
A bronze torch
A pink jar
  • A liquid (oily and volatile-smelling, apparently flammable)
A knapsack
  • A rope
An ancient map
A canteen
  • A quantity of water
A shovel
A pick axe
A matchbook
  • A few matches
A navigation box (displays precise latitude and longitude)

Score:
Your score is 50 out of a possible 400, in 116 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a fumbling beginner.

Current puzzles:
Getting down the steep stairs north of the Chamber of Ra.
Finding a light source.

Maps
Surface:
Code:
  k a f
  | | |
d-c-b-e-g
  | | |
l-j-h-o-
  | |\|
  m-i-n-q-r
    |
    p
a=Your Tent
b=Outside Your Tent
c=Near the Nile
d=River Bank
e=Northern Path
f=Desert
g=Desert
h=Fire Pit
i=Outside Work Tent
j=Outside Supply Tent
k=Desert
l=Supply Tent
m=Southern Path
n=Southern Path
o=Middle Path
p=Work Tent
q=Desert
r=Desert (down to Chamber of Ra)

Pyramid:
Code:
 |
-a-
 |
a=Chamber of Ra (up to Desert [r]; you are here)

Deaths: 4 (eaten by crocodiles, fell down the stairs and broke my neck, burned to death, devoured by an army of friendly rats)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,650
Default

Go west, young man.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,577
Default

Also, pour the liquid into the torch, and then light it on fire.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-22-2017, 10:39 AM
Kalir's Avatar
Kalir Kalir is offline
I have a Plan
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 6,170
Default

I'm down for going west. Also go south.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default

I've got suggestions from the usual three today, so let's check them out. Gerad suggested applying the liquid to the torch before lighting it, so let's try that.

>pour liquid on torch
The tip of the torch has been covered with the liquid.

>light a match
You have now lit a match.

>light torch
The bronze torch is now lit.


Now that we've got a light source, we've got two votes for checking out the west and one for the south. So let's check out the west first.

>w
(down the narrow staircase)
The staircase winds as you walk down, turning you around so you face in the opposite direction.

Cube
You are in a room whose walls, floor and ceiling seem to form a perfect cube. There are four square doorways cut into the walls -- to the north, the south, the east and the west. Through the west doorway you can see a flight of stairs heading up.
Your match went out. And it burned your fingers, too! You drop it. The match falls into a crack in the stone floor.


Hoo-boy. That description of the staircase indicates that this area will not be fun to map. But let's see what's south of the Chamber of Ra before crossing that proverbial bridge.

>w.s.
Chamber of Ra

(down the winding staircase)
South Landing
You are on a landing in the middle of a set of stairs. The staircase goes down to the south and up to the north. The walls here are undistinguished, formed by the stones of which the pyramid was built.


So, where to next time? Should we explore more of the Cube area, see what's past the south landing, or explore some more of the exits from the Chamber of Ra?

Exits:
North from Chamber of Ra.
East from Chamber of Ra.
North from Cube.
South from Cube.
East from Cube.
South from South Landing.

Inventory:
A bronze torch (lit and burning)
A pink jar
  • A liquid (oily and volatile-smelling, apparently flammable)
A knapsack
  • A rope
An ancient map
A canteen
  • A quantity of water
A shovel
A pick axe
A matchbook
  • A few matches
A navigation box (displays precise latitude and longitude)

Score:
Your score is 50 out of a possible 400, in 122 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a fumbling beginner.

Current puzzles:
Getting down the steep stairs north of the Chamber of Ra.

Maps
Surface:
Code:
  k a f
  | | |
d-c-b-e-g
  | | |
l-j-h-o-
  | |\|
  m-i-n-q-r
    |
    p
a=Your Tent
b=Outside Your Tent
c=Near the Nile
d=River Bank
e=Northern Path
f=Desert
g=Desert
h=Fire Pit
i=Outside Work Tent
j=Outside Supply Tent
k=Desert
l=Supply Tent
m=Southern Path
n=Southern Path
o=Middle Path
p=Work Tent
q=Desert
r=Desert (down to Chamber of Ra)

Pyramid, main area:
Code:
   |
 b-a-
   |
   c
   |
a=Chamber of Ra (up to Desert [r])
b=to Cube
c=South Landing (you are here)

Pyramid, Cube area
Code:
  |
a-b-
  |
a=to Chamber of Ra
b=Cube

Deaths: 4 (eaten by crocodiles, fell down the stairs and broke my neck, burned to death, devoured by an army of friendly rats)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,577
Default

West and up the stairs from cube.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-24-2017, 04:31 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default

A bit of a problem with that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran042 View Post
>w
(down the narrow staircase)
The staircase winds as you walk down, turning you around so you face in the opposite direction.


Cube
You are in a room whose walls, floor and ceiling seem to form a perfect cube. There are four square doorways cut into the walls -- to the north, the south, the east and the west. Through the west doorway you can see a flight of stairs heading up.
Basically, it's that west or up from the Cube would go back to the Chamber of Ra. So I can't take that suggestion. Sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-04-2017, 09:19 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default

A couple new suggestions from Gerad today, so let's try them.

>look through knothole
Through the knothole is inky blackness.

>burn mast
(with the bronze torch)
The wooden beam catches fire and is consumed.


That...went better than expected. I was honestly expecting it to set the entire barge alight. However, it still seems like a waste of a good piece of wood. Any other suggestions of what to do here?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-04-2017, 07:27 PM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,577
Default

No other ideas here. Explore some more? Like east and west from the Barge Chamber?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-04-2017, 07:35 PM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,495
Default

try the obvious, i guess. Lift the mast out of the slot?

Explore from the barge chamber (east and west from D on the map with the barge)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
infidel , interactive fiction , let's play

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007