The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 04-30-2018, 01:52 PM
qu'ai-je attendu

Loki, your Let's Play of this game is delightful in every aspect and I wanted to thank you for taking the time to share this gem with us.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:00 PM
I have a Plan

I like the Snail Head guy, he seems like he's pretty responsible when not losing to dragoons.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:03 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Couple questions!

First, the Ala Singh flute. It's a permanent item, right? So you can just toot on it whenever you want to raise your dargon's Sympathy levels? It seems odd, in a resource game like this, that they'd give you an infinite resource. If true it makes me wonder why they chose to do it that way.

Second, about running from enemies. If you're too weak to fight enemies at the game's outset, what are you supposed to do except run from them? Do you just need to be exceptionally lucky?

Regardless it seems to me that the game deliberately obstructs you from getting the best type of dragon on a first playthrough. I like that. It would give me incentive to play it over again and try to optimize the build.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:07 PM
qu'ai-je attendu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Couple questions!

First, the Ala Singh flute. It's a permanent item, right? So you can just toot on it whenever you want to raise your dargon's Sympathy levels? It seems odd, in a resource game like this, that they'd give you an infinite resource. If true it makes me wonder why they chose to do it that way.

Second, about running from enemies. If you're too weak to fight enemies at the game's outset, what are you supposed to do except run from them? Do you just need to be exceptionally lucky?

Regardless it seems to me that the game deliberately obstructs you from getting the best type of dragon on a first playthrough. I like that. It would give me incentive to play it over again and try to optimize the build.
I would hazard a guess that you're meant to just die and respawn at Gran's until you get the dung/egg (since there's equipment with it)?
Old 04-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Haunted

I’m liking everything about this game aside from the golliwog shopkeeper sprite, but a lot of it seems like it might be a pain in the neck to actually play. I can imagine a Let’s Play by someone lacking the “all games are good” mentality degenerating into a series of “this game you guys” posts and missing out on the riches on offer. Do you think that’s so?

Also, the picture of the crimson dragon is wonderful.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:12 AM
Funko Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Couple questions!

Yeah, I think it's to make a sense of in-the-moment engagement and training with your dragon, but it's just picking an item from the menu so it doesn't work as well as being careful with how you play the game.

Quote:
You're not too weak to fight the grass enemies at the start of the game. You have to venture off it a bit to get to the Dragon Nest, but the next step up encounters aren't too bad. And yeah, like Gaer says, you just pop back at Orissa if you get unlucky.

That said, if you don't know how terrain and encounter tables work you could get the wrong impression. I saw one review that said "I walked into the mountains at the start and the fights are impossible this game sucks! 1/100"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
but a lot of it seems like it might be a pain in the neck to actually play. I can imagine a Let’s Play by someone lacking the “all games are good” mentality degenerating into a series of “this game you guys” posts and missing out on the riches on offer. Do you think that’s so?
It's pretty fun in the playing, but I'm using the fast-forward emulation functionality pretty liberally (it is a NES-era RPG after all). But yes, I think you're right. The game is super obtuse. A lot is explained in the manual, but if you jump in without it I could see it being a big exercise in frustration.

Back when it came out it got pretty middling review scores. The consensus was that it was another DQ clone but confusing and unfocused. Since then it's gained a cult status and is pretty highly regarded as the rare Famicom RPG that did something special.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:43 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Something neat that I noticed is that the folks who translated this game came up with a creative way to get around the character limits that made so many FC-era RPGs so awkward to localize. The dragon's techniques look to have a four-or-five-character limit, so they made a unique "re" character so that "Breath" could fit within the limits.

Better than calling it "BRATH" or something.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:52 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Though it could have also been called "Flame"...

Anyway this is cool keep posting please
Old 07-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

On hiatus
Old 07-26-2018, 12:16 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I think this is a fancy Sanskrit font what says the game's title but I don't know. Sansara Naga is unique as it has a light Vedic/Buddhist/Hindu theming. I'm not super familiar with this stuff, but I'll try my best. Also, I make no claims on the game's ability to depict a foreign culture with anything resembling veracity or respect. I imagine it's fairly bad! This is a Famicom game after all.
So this is actually really cool. this is Japanese Bonji script, also known as Siddham. It's a version of the Sanskrit script that was used for a lot of Buddhist texts written in the Pali language, among other things. So when Buddhism was transmitted from India to China, Korea and eventually Japan the sutras and mantras were written in Siddham. Japanese and Chinese calligraphers learned to write in the language and kept it up for transmission of sacred documents and ritual texts for hundreds of years after its use faded out in India proper.

In the mid 800s, China's Tang Dynasty started purging so-called 'foreign religions' and basically cut off trade and communication with India, and started wiping out Buddhism in China, so Japan's link back to the source was cut off for a few centuries. As such, when Siddham evolved to devanagiri and later scripts in India, it stayed the same in Japan, where it was basically a ritual alphabet.

Fast forward to now and Siddham is still used in Japan for sacred buddhism stuff. If you get amulets at japanese shrines, the paper inside will have a mantra written in the Siddham script, and prayer books and stuff are still in that language. When i lived there, i was shocked when i went to a temple and saw all this stuff written in hyper stylized sanskrit, or what i thought was sanskrit. It's really very cool.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Funko Superfan

Wow, that's super cool! Thanks for shedding some light on this Shivam.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:12 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

So it's one of those things like Malcolm McLaren plaid bondage pants where Japan takes a piece of another culture and preserves it in amber. Neato.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Really looks more like a plesiosaur.

Looking forward to more!
Old 07-27-2018, 01:04 AM
We just don't know.

I don't normally read Let's Plays, but I just caught up on this thread and this little gem of a game has been fascinating. An NES(right?) RPG doing open-world design, using the map creatively to focus/guide the player subtly, using a kind of morality system with a lot of different factors, having multiple characters that work differently (a human who doesn't level up but gets better gear, and a dragon who levels up dynamically), the eat/trophy(feed/sell) systems... there's a whole lot of surprisingly complex and interesting stuff happening here. I look forward to its return!

Tags
dragon quest , dragon warrior , dragon warrior quest , draque , duck , lets play , rocket slime