The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Fun Club Agent

Pronouns: He/him
Default NFC #38: Front Mission 3

Hey, so it just appeared on PSN. Maybe it's a sign!

Front Mission 3
Square | PS1/PSN | Tactical Mech RPG | 2000

It's also #50 on our Underrated list. Perhaps we should all remedy that!
Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Love and Peace

Sweet! I don't have much free time for the next week or two, but I'll try to make time for FM3.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Spelunker Die

This is the game that fostered my unusual love for in-game internets.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:28 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Remember, you can rename and repaint wanzers. So, if you add Pham to the team, you should give her a red mecha named EVA-02.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Venturing into ads!

I've missed owning this game, and while it was available for pretty cheap on disc, knowing the PSN version was coming made me hold off so I could go digital (and portable). Sadly, I lent my brother my PSP, but I'll play this on the TV like the olden days.

So last time I played this, I didn't know I could take the other side by saying "no" to an early question. I think it's time to give that route a go.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:01 AM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Hrm, I have my PSX copy up here, but I'm going on vacation in a couple of day and will be PS3-less for a while, so I don't know if I'll get a chance to participate.

I really love this game, I've gone through both paths, and in both of them Ryogo ended up as my best character, due to stacking of RoF I's. Though, the four-character cap kind of hurts the game, since you get so many characters, but you usually end up focusing on a core four, and then get screwed when you're forced to use someone. The game does pull off one of my favorite things, using the intro music to a game as the last boss music.

In fact, one of my favorite game-related memories is from this game: In Alisa's path, at the final battle, all I had left was Ryogo who was in a Wanzer with no arms, and the only Wanzer around was one of the other character's (who had been ejected and killed) that had one arm and a flamethrower, and there was one enemy left. So I move him into the new Wanzer, figuring I'm going to die, but he manages to chain 3 RoF Up I's to fry the enemy, and I pull out a win.

General advice for the game was that generally shotguns, machine guns, and flamethrowers were the most powerful weapons, I found. Missiles were decent, melee was eh (I went melee + shotgun with the main character the first time through, which worked, but not nearly as well as dual-shotguns). Rifles were the weak link, I found, unless you managed to get the [part]-break/aim skills.

Also stealing the Imaginary Numbers (I think that's their name) Wanzers was always great fun, since they were typically way better than anything you can buy. The Qibings, I think they're called, as those were really awesome, especially paired with your machine gunner.

Crap, I might buy the PSN version just so I can play this on my PSP...
Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanatos feeding time

I left my disc of this on a cross-country flight in 2000 and haven't played it since. Will be rectifying this over the holidays.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisel View Post
Crap, I might buy the PSN version just so I can play this on my PSP...
"Portable FM3" was basically the reason I hacked my PSP in the first place. I regret nothing.

Overall I prefer Emma's path to Alisa's, mostly because of [HUGE ENDING SPOILERS], but also because some of the mission design in Alisa's feels weaker and some of the characters are completely forgettable. Last time I renamed Meyer's wanzer to "Token Eighth", since she's clearly just there to fill up the roster.

On the other hand, the mission where you hijack a bunch of those damned helicopters? Sweet, sweet revenge!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazian View Post
"Portable FM3" was basically the reason I hacked my PSP in the first place. I regret nothing.

Overall I prefer Emma's path to Alisa's, mostly because of [HUGE ENDING SPOILERS], but also because some of the mission design in Alisa's feels weaker and some of the characters are completely forgettable. Last time I renamed Meyer's wanzer to "Token Eighth", since she's clearly just there to fill up the roster.

On the other hand, the mission where you hijack a bunch of those damned helicopters? Sweet, sweet revenge!
I'm not sure which path I prefer, I did Emma's first, and the depressing ending there probably fits the game better, and I think it had the stronger final battle, but being able to save everyone on my second pass was kind of a nice surprise. Also seeing the other side's story was pretty neat, like the Real Number antagonist in Emma's path that joins you. Man, if I replay this I'm going to have to remember how to get the uber Wanzer and particle cannon, I remember that being a lot of fun.

Damn. I'll probably be buying this, as if I don't have enough games to play.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

For someone who's never played these games, what makes them special?
Old 12-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Love and Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazian View Post
Overall I prefer Emma's path to Alisa's, mostly because of [HUGE ENDING SPOILERS], but also because some of the mission design in Alisa's feels weaker and some of the characters are completely forgettable.
My enjoyment of Emma's ending was greatly enhanced by the HUGE SPOILER you're thinking of, even though I suspect that it wasn't supposed to be the "optimal" ending.

And wow, if there were a prize for making the most unlikeable asshole of a protagonist in a JRPG, the FM3 team would have cleaned up.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Faceshove champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
It's been a long time since I played it, and I never did beat it, but the thing that stood out most to me was just how finely-tuned the difficulty was. Missions were never easy, and many were won by the thinest of margins. The story and world that Front Mission games envision is pretty interesting too, taking place in a future of warring superpowers and military/political intrigue.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Good music, good graphics for the time, and fantastic customization, with a plot that for the most part focused on political ambitions instead of some modern day dark lord. You get to see events from multiple perspectives, if you go through both paths of the game, where you can see how people who join you in one path, can seem villainous to others, and villains in one, turn out to be redeemable/have valid reasons for their actions. It's one of my favorite things in the game.

The battles are fun for the most part, with even some varied objectives and lots of interesting battlefields, slightly marred by a unit cap of four in battle, where you'd fight two-three times that number.

Also you can steal your enemy mechs, by forcing them to surrender, or by ejecting them. That's fun.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Banned

I played both paths of the story back-to-back when the game first came out and have since not been able to pick it up again. I think it took a full hundred hours of playtime to do both, or maybe even more.

I remember during the second play I was able to win tons and tons of mechs and was always rich as hell.

ROFUPI was good but ROFUPIII was better. I always liked using dual-shotgun Ryogo and watching ROFUPIII kick in, and the enemy would just go from full health to BOOOOOM.

Sad I can't take part in this NFC, though.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:15 PM
pchoooooo!

ROFUPI goes from "ok" to "best skill in the game" once you start chaining them together.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

I broke and got the PSN version, so I can play on my PSP while I'm on vacation. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this game, let's just hope it still stands up. I don't know which path I want to take though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
ROFUPI goes from "ok" to "best skill in the game" once you start chaining them together.
Seeing four of them chain together is a thing of beauty. Dual Shot was a lot of fun too, with two shotguns, almost as good as ROFUPI.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Banned

Okay, maybe I'm forgetting how skills in this game work. But still! Dual shotguns FTW!
Old 12-23-2010, 01:07 AM
Mothperson

How does FM3 compare to the fourth entry? I've always wanted to try either one--but not both.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Banned

I thought FM3 blew FM4 completely out of the water. I think there were only one or two times I had fun with FM4, while FM3 is one of my favorite games. If you're going to play one, FM3 is definitely the winner.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisel View Post
General advice for the game was that generally shotguns, machine guns, and flamethrowers were the most powerful weapons, I found. Missiles were decent, melee was eh (I went melee + shotgun with the main character the first time through, which worked, but not nearly as well as dual-shotguns). Rifles were the weak link, I found, unless you managed to get the [part]-break/aim skills.
I remember the sullen Filipino guy being pretty awesome with his rifle. I probably had those aim skills on him though. Missiles are a good source of free damage if you're out of range, so I like to keep some of those on hand too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
How does FM3 compare to the fourth entry? I've always wanted to try either one--but not both.
FM3 is way better. Battles in FM4 are just not interesting at all, (they mostly come down to not getting within the aggro range of too many enemies at once) and what I saw of the plot and characters before getting bored and quitting was completely forgettable as well.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Too Much TV Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
FM3 is a better game, but I did have fun with FM4. The biggest issue with the fourth game is that the story switches back and forth between two different units, yet except for a brief communication at the end they never actually meet face-to-face. FM4's Link System is also hilariously broken at times, meaning if you are good enough you can have half the team firing on enemies during a single combat sequence.

If there's one thing I didn't like about FM3's combat, it was that ejections were brutally random. There were times everyone would quickly get knocked out of their wanzers and immediately killed...and there was no rhyme or reason behind why that was.

Oh, and FM3's Kazuki is a raging asshole. I should play the game again just so I can relive how much of a jerk he truly is!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Venturing into ads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceTalk View Post
Oh, and FM3's Kazuki is a raging asshole. I should play the game again just so I can relive how much of a jerk he truly is!
Yeah, I remembered him being a stick in the mud, but replaying it now I keep thinking, damn this guy really needs to chill out. I do love the portrait where he's yelling though. It comes up so often and for things people shouldn't be getting mad about.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

Ohh god. Do I go with Emma or Alexa (or whatever his sister's name is.)
Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Mothperson

Alright then.

I'll download it later on tonight and we'll see how far I can get in this game before I inevitably fall out of the FC (don't have it in me to play the 100 or so hours to finish it). It's one of the few PSX games that people always praise and has always been out of my radar.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reibeatall View Post
Ohh god. Do I go with Emma or Alexa (or whatever his sister's name is.)
That depends on whether you want to play Kazuki as a massive dickwad, or an incandescent dickwad. I've already played through Emma's route (which was pretty good, admittedly), so this time around I'm opting for incandescent.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Love and Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
I've TKO'ed enemy wanzers on multiple occasions with ROFUP1 stacks activating all over the place. It's amazing.

As for FM3 vs. FM4: My love of FM3 is what made FM4 the first game I bought when I finally got my PS2, but FM4 itself is not nearly as good.

The Link system is nifty, but as mentioned before, massively overpowered (especially with the AI that will often deliberately funnel itself off into easy pickings positions.) The "two plotlines" thing wasn't pulled off nearly as well as it was in FM3, and (as was also mentioned before) doesn't have nearly as much of a payoff as one would think.

I've been told that FM5 is really good, but as far as I can tell from personal experience, FM3 is probably the best of the lot.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
And wow, if there were a prize for making the most unlikeable asshole of a protagonist in a JRPG, the FM3 team would have cleaned up.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:57 PM

Ten missions in, and I'm remembering why I used to love this game so much.

My attitude towards giant robots tends to be rather hit-or-miss, but I don't mind the wanzers in FM3; they feel appropriately heavy and ponderous, and while they're clearly the star of the show, there are enough other combat vehicles in the game that the setting doesn't feel unduly dominated by them.

As for the characters, well, I have to say that they are one angry bunch most of the time. I do like the way that other characters will call out Kazuki and Ryogo for being immature jerkholes, though. And the game at least recognizes that doing "hotblooded anime hero" crap is quite likely to get you arrested in real life. I also like the way that despite the apparent insignificance of the decision that determines which storyline you end up playing, there's at least a clear causal link between the decision you make and the resulting fallout.

Also, holy crap I'd forgotten what a difference the battle skills make. I don't recall Ryogo being so terrifying early on in the game, but when he chains together three or four ROFUP and Zoom skills, the resulting carnage in insane. His performance convinced me to replace most of Miho's wanzer with Kyojun Mk.107 parts, and replace her default weapons with machine guns; now I have two horrifyingly effective mid-range combatants. Now that I'm out of Japan, I have Kazuki concentrating on melee, and I added a spike to Alisa's wanzer, so she can still use missiles while defending herself in close combat if necessary.

One thing that kind of annoys me about Alisa's storyline is the sheer number of helicopters the game throws at you in the early scenarios; I don't remember that many of them showing up in Emma's storyline. Dealing with them has caused me to realize that I really don't like rifles very much; missiles are better single-target weapons, with superior range, damage, and accuracy, while shotguns and machine guns put a whole lot more lead in the air, also seeming to do more overall damage. I've ended up giving Liu a missile launcher instead of a rifle; he's better than he was, but Alisa still does more damage. Alisa's Meledyne does seem like a fairly weak wanzer, though, despite being exclusive to her route. It is kind of nice when she fires off two or three Panic Shots in a row, despite how quickly that eats through her ammunition. I suspect I'll have to find her a better wanzer before long, though.

I've been trying to keep up with the Network as I play through the missions, but I'm finding it less engaging than I remember. I recall liking the way it revealed various tidbits about the game world the first time I played it, but I guess Mass Effect and Dragon Age broke my ability to appreciate world-building background information.

Also: it's hard to tell just from her character portrait, but is Pham actually wearing pink camouflage? That strikes me as a fashion choice of dubious utility. And I'm still not sure exactly what is up with Liu's hair.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Who?

I'd just like to add that this game is even better if you play Front Mission 5 before it because the ending of FM5 is the beginning of FM3.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Venturing into ads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hito View Post
I'd just like to add that this game is even better if you play Front Mission 5 before it because the ending of FM5 is the beginning of FM3.
Stop it. You're reminding me I'll never see a localized copy of Front Mission 5.
Closed Thread