The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-10-2018, 07:25 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He
Default Digital Down-Low for 10/11/2018: Sneakin' and Splorin'

Auditions for my Penn & Teller cover-band start at 4 PM this Saturday at the civic center. Be There or Be Square.

First and... maybe actually not foremost, because this week is chock-a-block, is Mark of the Ninja: Remastered (on PS4 and Switch), which I've played enough to successfully deem great. It's kind of a mish-mash of Ninja Gaiden (the NES ones) and the Arkham games (or possibly a 2D Assassins Creed); as you play as a sneaky, creepin' professional stabsman as he goes through enemy bases and SNEAKSTABS everyone inside. This version includes all the DLC I didn't play from the original 360 release so I am ALL GEARED UP for a fine experience spent peering from the shadows. And then shoving knives into peeps.

ANd speaking of re-releases (sidebar; we're going to be doing that a lot this week), PS4 and Switch ALSO got Disgaea 1 Complete, a reimagineering of... well... Disgaea 1, like it says. Say what you will about NIS' output, but they do not lie like that. I'm going to go ahead and infer that it includes the bonus content from the later ports of Disgaea and probably has some redrawn sprites, but the sprites in the original still looked pretty dang good so they didn't have much work to do on that front. Based on the cover-art, one of the leading children is even nakeder now than in 2003, which is the opposite of a selling point, so thanks, NIS. Thanks for deciding that was an innovation you needed to bring to the table

Anyway; it's an SRPG set in Halloween Town, take the new prince of Hell out as he establishes his dominance over sucky dead peeps. He's also voiced by Rita Repulsa, so that's something.

Speaking of SRPGs, the PS4 has you covered there as well with Spacehulk: Tactics, based on the boardgame Spacehulk, based on the other board game, Warhammer 40000, and control either ridiculously bulky robomen or Xenomorphs as they try to our strate-kill one another. There's a full storymode regardless of which giant edgelord you want to SMUSH with.

And also we have Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, a series I've never played but is very popular, (though I suspect less-so on TT) and I mainly bring up because "Codblops" is a ridiculously fun-to-say abbreviation.

I legit think I have more fun just saying Codblops than I would playing the actual game.

"Codblops". Tee-hee.

Moving on down to Swtich-y town, we've got the surprise release of Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition, a game so nice I've bought it thrice! It's a combination of my two favorite "-em-up" genres, Beat and Explore, as Juan Agave (secretly the Luchadore superhero Guacamelee) and his ghost pal Tostada battle to save the land of the Living and the Dead alike from the undead guitarest Carlos Calaca and his army of SKELETONS. This version includes 4 player co-op and more playable characters in addition to the other upgrades that STCE added over the original like new areas and powers.

It may be my Lock of the Week in a week that includes Mark of the Ninja.

Next up is The World Ends With You: Final Remix, a gussied up port of what is perhaps the most unorthodox RPG on the DS. And considering how the DSs total RPG output was about 80% Weird, that's saying something. Mopey Anime Teen Niku up and died and needs to compete in a series of posthumous challenges and make friends in order to get a chance to live again. And he must also contend with tattoo-monsters that creep around purgatory eating up souls and whatnot, and also the grim reeapers overseeing the contest don't really LIKE the idea of resurrection and also want to kill him.

Also, if you feed Niku enough hamburgers he'll develop enough self confidence to wear lacy underwear into battle.

Yet Another Switch Port that makes me say "Oooooooh boooooooooy" is The Swindle which, like Mark of the Ninja, is a side-scrolling sneaks-em-up. But instead of being a killer crimesman and just stabbing everyone, you're commiting a much softer crime and merely stealing everything that isn't nailed down. It's also built a bit like Rogue Legacy in that it's also a rogue-em-up and whenever you die a new CRIMESMAN is generated with unique capabilities and you play as them instead.

It's almost the rogue-em-up I'm most excited to play when the clock strikes tomorrow!

As for the rogue-em-up I'm MOST excited to play once the clock strikes "Tomorrow", that would be Chasm, which represents the success of my "Just wait for a Switch Port" philosophy. (I violated that policy several times in the course of this update alone, but in my defense, those games came out before the Switch was ever announced). Chasm is another Rogue-em-up, but much more of the Castlevania vein; with you being a Monsterkillin'man tasked with exploring a big ol' randomly generated cave, finding TREASURES inside and then using them treasures to explore more.

A Robot Named Fight friggin' well perfected that particular style of gameplay, but I'm hardly in any sort of position to bite my thumb at a second endlessly replayable troidin' FUNVENTURE.

Next is Child of Light: Ultimate Edition, which is another game that would normally be the thing I'd be most excited to play (replay, in this case), except that this week is already JUST SO DENSE with quality that it has to take a back-seat. It's a really friggin' nice looking RPG that is also about as close as we're going to ever get to a Labyrinth video game. Not counting the games based on Labyrinth which, oddly, weren't that much like Labyrinth at all.

Play as Coma-Girl as she goes through a dream kingdom in order to save everyone from a wicked queen and meets and helps out various fantasy folk. And also enjoy some pretty kickin' rad music, because the games soundtrack is aces.

And finally, I'd be in terrible hot water if I didn't mention that the NES selection on the Switch Online service updated with four new games! Well, four 30-year-old games. In any case, we've got Super Dodgeball (the VICIOUS BEATING version from the River City Ransom peeps), Solomons Key (puzzle your way through riddle-mazes with your incredible magical masonry), NES Open Tournament Golf (for... the dads of all the Millenials this service is marketed to) and The Legend of Zelda: SP (an Easy-Mode Rom Hack of the original LoZ that doesn't really address the thing that would make LoZ easier and more fun).

BOY, that's a lot of things I've already played that I am unreasonably excited to buy again!
Old 10-10-2018, 08:05 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Holy cow that's a lot of ports!
Old 10-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Mark of the Ninja is the best stealth game ever made, followed by Klei's other stealth game in close second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
This version includes 4 player co-op and more playable characters in addition to the other upgrades that STCE added over the original like new areas and powers.
I already couldn't figure out how they would make 2-player co-op work in that game, and now it supports four?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Based on the cover-art, one of the leading children is even nakeder now than in 2003, which is the opposite of a selling point, so thanks, NIS. Thanks for deciding that was an innovation you needed to bring to the table
No they're all just as naked as they've ever been, though this is admittedly the most they've shown on the cover-art of the game.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:56 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
So many good games
Holy crap what a week!

Quote:
Next is Child of Light: Ultimate Edition, which is another game that would normally be the thing I'd be most excited to play (replay, in this case), except that this week is already JUST SO DENSE with quality that it has to take a back-seat. It's a really friggin' nice looking RPG that is also about as close as we're going to ever get to a Labyrinth video game. Not counting the games based on Labyrinth which, oddly, weren't that much like Labyrinth at all.

Play as Coma-Girl as she goes through a dream kingdom in order to save everyone from a wicked queen and meets and helps out various fantasy folk. And also enjoy some pretty kickin' rad music, because the games soundtrack is aces.
... but I have to highlight this. The game starts slow but I absolutely loved the battle mechanics. I have it on the WiiU but having on the Switch would be pretty great.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:31 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Seems thereís a bunch of other VERY Good Games out this week that Iíll elaborate on when Iím not restricted to a phone.

But it also seems that the watchword is caution on The World Ends With You, itís basically the mobile port of the game and the controls are ďdumb, like from a dumb-buttĒ. Itís still a very good game on its own merits, but it doesnít seem like itís worth double-dipping on if you have access to the DS original.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Okay, first and foremost, the 3DS got Luigis Mansion, which I thought was out next week, and, historically, I tend not to over-research what I write in these threads. It's a remake of the Gamecube launch title of the same name, with a handful of minor tweaks (including stereoscopic 3D, which was intended for the original release but never cropped up owing to the fact that it wasn't feasible back then). I never played the OG Luigis Mansion, but I loved the sequel, and it's apparently the best ever Ghostbusters game and HECK YES I am all into that sort of nonsense and ballyhoo.

And not showing up in the eShop, but apparently out today according to my other resources are ports of three of Kairosofts better-regarded mobile games; Game Dev Story (an office simulator where you get to work as a game publisher), Hot SPrings Story (manage a hotspring resort!) and Dungeon Village (run a burgeoning RPG hamlet, and lure in heroes to deal with pesky monster population). I sincerely hope that the new release lists I've been checking haven't just been yanking my chain, because those are three very fun games!

Also up is a Neo-Geo release, because we can hardly go a week without one of those, and it's 3-Count Bout! SNKs answer to Capcoms Saturday Night SLAMASTERS. Just with an exponentially worse name and devoid of Mike Hagger.

So what the hell good is it!

Tags
digital downloads , octo does not do research , punch a skelly , roguelike metroidvanias , zippers