The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 10-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Senhor Member

Default Archie Comics is bad at their job

They’re just never going to finish the arcs on Afterlife with Archie or Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. I’m not sure whose fault this is. Anyway, wish they would!

Otherwise, I am unfamiliar with Archie comics. I read the Kevin Keller stuff last year and I liked all his shitty boyfriends more than him.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Space Prez

Did any details about Sega and Archie parting ways ever come to light? Was just stunned to see Sonic had stopped in the middle of an arc, I thought maybe there was something to it.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:51 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Wasn't that just because they wanted to jettison everything Ken Penders created?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

This thread is super confusing.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Wasn't that just because they wanted to jettison everything Ken Penders created?
They had already done that in the reboot following the first crossover with Megaman, though.

There isn't anything official about what happened afterwards, but between Scott Fulop also suing Archie over the same stuff Penders had, and some higher-up really wanting to put as many eggs as possible in the Riverdale basket, it looks like Archie just... discarded the Sonic comics.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Natural Born Critic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
This thread is super confusing.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:33 PM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

I am eternally salty about Archie killing off the Mega Man series, and then not even releasing trades for the final issues.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:22 PM
Find Your Reason

On the one hand, like with any other big crossover event in any other publisher, I greatly disliked Archie Comics' Mega Man/Sonic events for trying to make me purchase a title I had less than zero interest in, thus causing me to skip the whole Mega Man side altogether to avoid having a fragmented story on my shelves.

On the other, I don't know if there were enough readers with the same opinion to actually cause damage to the company, thus canceling one or both books, or if Mega Man's woes came from somewhere else.

Regardless, it's a shame, because Archie's adaptation of the video game arcs were pretty good! (In the case of MM3, much better than Ariga's.) And their original plots were fun, interesting, and showed a lot of promise for the future.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
On the one hand, like with any other big crossover event in any other publisher, I greatly disliked Archie Comics' Mega Man/Sonic events for trying to make me purchase a title I had less than zero interest in, thus causing me to skip the whole Mega Man side altogether to avoid having a fragmented story on my shelves.

On the other, I don't know if there were enough readers with the same opinion to actually cause damage to the company, thus canceling one or both books, or if Mega Man's woes came from somewhere else.
Everything I've heard about the first crossover is that it gave the Megaman comic enough of a shot in the arm to keep it from the "might have to cancel it" discussions.

...unfortunately, the cancellation got leaked just when the second crossover began (as #50 shipped, the previews for #53 initially stated the book was gearing up for its end), so yeah, they definitely came from somewhere else.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuarzo Falcone View Post
...and some higher-up really wanting to put as many eggs as possible in the Riverdale basket, it looks like Archie just... discarded the Sonic comics.
This an extremely Archie move. One of these days I'll look into the circulation for the last few years. During the 90's and early 2000's the series was a juggernaut at newstand. If those sales were counted along with the direct market, Sonic would be bumping his little spiky head against the top 10 selling comics on a regular basis.

But it's also an extremely Sega thing for the Japan branch to pull back from what works for their franchises in the West. So maybe a little of each.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
This an extremely Archie move. One of these days I'll look into the circulation for the last few years. During the 90's and early 2000's the series was a juggernaut at newstand. If those sales were counted along with the direct market, Sonic would be bumping his little spiky head against the top 10 selling comics on a regular basis.

But it's also an extremely Sega thing for the Japan branch to pull back from what works for their franchises in the West. So maybe a little of each.
Sega can't have been too responsible here - at least, the fact that they had IDW lined up to take the license as soon as Archie confirmed the cancellation and let most of the creative team make the jump implies someone there was fine with the comic continuing.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuarzo Falcone View Post
Sega can't have been too responsible here - at least, the fact that they had IDW lined up to take the license as soon as Archie confirmed the cancellation and let most of the creative team make the jump implies someone there was fine with the comic continuing.
Maybe IDW had better terms? The real advantage Archie has as a comics publisher, over larger pubs like Marvel and DC, is their placement near checkout aisles in supermarket and large retailers. As magazine and newstand sections have almost entirely vanished outside of large metro areas, these spots are the widest distribution channel for physical comics, and they belong exclusively to Archie. Archie had started a digest series for StH, and it was into its second year when the license was pulled. That series was maybe the last three or four StH comics I had ever purchased, all impulse buys while in line at k-mart. That's a circulation number I need to look up.

Don't get me wrong, IDW does some great work, but I've only seen their books in comics shops. They just don't have the same reach.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:17 AM
..and his little cat, too

Call it a hunch, but despite that, I think they're doing fine.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:07 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

IDW does most of their sales via direct online sales (both digital and physical) yeah, and given their cachet of old school nerd properties I don't think it hurts them at all to be a mostly online only publisher.

Tags
betty & veronica