The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 07-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
Yep, the hack's only in Japanese! Get out your hiragana dictionaries!
But I don't have one!

...stupid moon language
Old 07-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Not for resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
But I don't have one!

...stupid moon language
Well if it's any consolation, there's not really any interesting dialogue to read since it's a purely gameplay-related hack. And TKFlsah is translating the parts that matter in his below-screenshot commentary, so it's not that big a deal.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:50 PM
Love and Peace

For my Dragon Age: Origins LP, I wanted to give people a chance to pick certain aspects of the character, because using someone else's presets isn't really all that fun. But that makes for a long and mostly dull intro post.

Would it be reasonable to ask people to download the character creator tool and make the character that they want to see? It's not a big download, and it shouldn't cause trouble for most people's PCs, but I'm still kind of torn.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
For my Dragon Age: Origins LP, I wanted to give people a chance to pick certain aspects of the character, because using someone else's presets isn't really all that fun. But that makes for a long and mostly dull intro post.

Would it be reasonable to ask people to download the character creator tool and make the character that they want to see? It's not a big download, and it shouldn't cause trouble for most people's PCs, but I'm still kind of torn.

Any thoughts?
You could do that... I think you'd be better off just starting your loo with the character creation part and include a description of all the stats, what they do and the different classes and races. it will be more work on your part but probably the best way to get participation as well.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 PM
McBear

So, after a false start with my PVR on my laptop, I have moved it to the desktop, and it works much better. I'm still wondering if I can do live commentary, or if I'll have to resort to post-recording it. I could use the laptop to record audio and then synch it with the video in post.

But anyway, this video has post-recorded commentary, and the sound desynch issue I had when trying to record Persona 4 Arena matches is no longer a factor!

http://youtu.be/qCJ8z96FCMs

At the very least, screenshot LPs just became MUCH easier.

How do those look?

Pretty massive, I'd say, but that's what you get for glorious 720p!

I could slash this in half...

Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Daber.txt

The text in the full size is hard to read as is; the smaller picture hurts my eyes to read.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Love and Peace

Yeah, stick with the full size screenshots. Phantom Brave is not a great game to play in HD, but the small screenshots are hard to make out with the larger "story" sprites. Imagine how difficult it'll be to see when you get into the real game with the menus and the numbers and the powerleveling.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Default I hope I'm not the only one who read Dawnswalker's post in Professor Frink's voice.

Oh hey, kibitzing on NIS screenshots?

I'm not very happy with how these look.

Although... they look better in the browser than they did on my computer, except for the motion blur on the words in the third screenshot. Huh.

I might have to figure out how to shrink these things if I do this LP though, since at almost .4 megs a pop they'd run through bandwidth pretty quick. (Assuming I had any readers.)
Old 08-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Not for resale

I learned a simple trick from Aerdan to make huge images eat up less space: convert them to JPG. Odds are good that, if the image is already that massive, it's not going to lose a whole lot from a single PNG-to-JPG (or BMP-to-JPG or whatever) conversion. It tends to cut the size down to 50 to 120KB per image.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Odds are good that, if the image is already that massive, it's not going to lose a whole lot from a single PNG-to-JPG (or BMP-to-JPG or whatever) conversion.
It won't lose a lot in detail, you mean? You're probably right. I'll try to remember to mess around with that after I get home from my interview.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 PM
oh my car

A more graphically advanced game, by which I mean a game that's in 3D and ever incorporates anything like a "shader," will probably derive little benefit from lossless screenshots, so jpeg away.

That said, you might want to run everything through OptiPNG first.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Rollin' around.

I need to know a few things before I get my new PC and tackle For the Frog the Bell Tolls:

- What size should the screenshots be?
- Do I have to ise an online image storage site? If so, which one is recommended?
- How many screen shots should be in one post? Would photoshopping screenshots together be recommended?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matto View Post
I need to know a few things before I get my new PC and tackle For the Frog the Bell Tolls:

- What size should the screenshots be?
- Do I have to ise an online image storage site? If so, which one is recommended?
- How many screen shots should be in one post? Would photoshopping screenshots together be recommended?
look at some same LPs to get an idea of the size you should use.

Photobucket is pretty popular as is Imgur. Best would be to host them yourself.

Screenshots are limited to 15 per post.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Screenshots are limited to 15 per post.
Note that this is a limit imposed by the forum software, so there is no wiggle room.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:27 AM
...?!

If you're gonna be using a lot of shots, tiling them into a single shot is much better in my opinion than having billions of posts with fifteen in each. In my LPs I tend to tile shots together four or six at a time, so some of my posts wind up with like 60 or more individual screenshots in them (and I usually have three or four posts per update - it'd be ridiculous to have 13 post long updates that could be down to four posts with tiling). Plus it's much easier when you're putting the posts themselves together than having a bunch of images all separate. The downside is you have to do the tiling, which is a big factor in it being like six weeks since my last update.

As for screenshot size, I'd maybe double them if they're not clear at 1:1, but personally I wouldn't go bigger, and definitely stick with integer upsizes (as in, x2, x3, or x4, not x2.5 or 1.8 or something)
Old 09-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Espurrs are proud.

On the subject of Dimensions, I'm thinking that while the current LP is entirely valid, I think it shouldn't "count" in terms of someone else LPing it either. I think "playing this when it just came out" and "playing this after a couple months/years" are different in the same sense that "straight FF1 LP" and "solo White Mage" are different.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:50 AM
the :motion: stands

I'm in complete agreement with Something Awful's 3 month moratorium on LP's. As they put it:

Quote:
This rule exists to prevent spoiling, ire from developers, and stop people from rushing in here hot with new game excitement to be the first to LP Garfield: The Purrfect Crime.
Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrel Odin View Post
Oh, I should note, because school still exists for me, this will be updated….infrequently at best. But I’ll try, for your sakes!
So seriously, what exactly is the point of jumping on this game so soon after its release when the LPer doesn't really have time to do the LP?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm in complete agreement with Something Awful's 3 month moratorium on LP's.
Meh, if you don't want a game spoiled don't go into the thread. If we wanted to prevent spoiling we'd have to close down over half the threads in the video game section.

Quote:
So seriously, what exactly is the point of jumping on this game so soon after its release when the LPer doesn't really have time to do the LP?
Someone being excited to do an LP is a good thing in my book, and if a new game gets someone excited enough to use their free time to play a game, take pictures, and write it all up for us, even if not on a set schedule, I'm more for cheering that on as opposed to discouraging it.[/quote]
Old 09-09-2012, 12:23 PM
the :motion: stands

I'm far less concerned about the spoiler part than I was about the

Quote:
ire from developers
part. I assume they didn't put that mention in the rules just for shits and giggles.

I, too, am all about excitement to LP a game. I am similarly not all about watching an LP limp along due to:

1. the part when the initial excitement over doing an LP wears off.
2. the part when the initial excitement over being first to LP a game wears off.
3. poor life scheduling on the LPers part.

Quote:
Someone being excited to do an LP is a good thing in my book, and if a new game gets someone excited enough to use their free time to play a game, take pictures, and write it all up for us, even if not on a set schedule, I'm more for cheering that on as opposed to discouraging it.
Why then are there still rules about when an LP is allowed to start? The queue certainly discourages someone's ability to do an LP they're excited about.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
part. I assume they didn't put that mention in the rules just for shits and giggles.
Lets worry about that when/if some developers bug us? TT isn't SA.

Quote:
I, too, am all about excitement to LP a game. I am similarly not all about watching an LP limp along due to:

1. the part when the initial excitement over doing an LP wears off.
2. the part when the initial excitement over being first to LP a game wears off.
3. poor life scheduling on the LPers part.
If we policed this there wouldn't be any LPs. This isn't a problem with just new games, the abandoned list we have is long and covers the entire spectrum of video games...

Quote:
Why then are there still rules about when an LP is allowed to start? The queue certainly discourages someone's ability to do an LP they're excited about.
The queue is not to stop/slow LPers from doing their games. It exists because readers were feeling overwhelmed by the number of LPs that were going on at any on time, IIRC.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Love and Peace

The queue system was useful back when we had people starting fifty LPs a day because of the novelty of the new subforum (and when we had a brief rash of people who wanted a place to throw their Youtube dumps after getting yelled off Something Awful.)

And in theory, it does also work as a moratorium system of sorts, but since we so often have empty slots up until the end of a month, I think we've just gone back to people signing up and posting day and date.

So I think we do need a formal moratorium policy. It doesn't have to be an exact copy of Something Awful's, but at the very least, it would be a courtesy to the many people who use (and own) these forums, whose jobs depend on the good favour of an industry that's always looking for a new scapegoat.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:55 PM
GASP

Personally, I don't have an issue with an LP of a brand new game, but I won't be reading the Dimensions one because I may wind up playing it when it hits Android. I think a lot of people may feel the same... but it's really the LPer's decision whether he wants to risk not having the readership he might have if he waited.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

My personal rule is to never LP a game that isn't at least a year old, unless the game's developer has asked me to. There's been a few times where I've watched a day one LP and then went, "That was fun! Now I don't have to buy the game!"

That's not to say I think we need an official rule about it, though. It's just a personal guideline. I do think, though, that we need someone to LP Garfield's Purrrrfect Crime.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Meh, if you don't want a game spoiled don't go into the thread. If we wanted to prevent spoiling we'd have to close down over half the threads in the video game section.
Well, part of the fun with an LP is audience participation, and if people are afraid of spoilers for a BRAND NEW game, then they won't participate, and the LP will suffer.

I specifically don't care that much about it for an LP of a cell phone game a lot of people won't even play, BUT I would be fine with a rule, as well. I will say that it might not be a bad idea to bottle this one up until at least all the pieces are out.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Rollin' around.

For the Mario LP thread I'm planning, just want to know if anyone wants me to LP the SNES versions or NES versions, then do a quick visual comparison with some Mario Advance comparisons spinkled in.

And when I get a WiiU... and a PC enabled with HDMI, I might do a console game LP. Maybe of Wonderful 101, ZombiU, or Nintendo Land... or something else. Last Story maybe? Hmm... so many choices, so little free time.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Puzzle-Solving Gentleman

I went into finishing the Soul Blazer LP not really knowing what I was doing, and I think I ended up a little sparse on action screenshots and generally more picture-light than other LPs. Could I ask for some constructive criticism before going into my next one? What did people like/not like? Should I have been more responsive? Blathered less? Blathered more? Longer updates?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Not for resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
I went into finishing the Soul Blazer LP not really knowing what I was doing, and I think I ended up a little sparse on action screenshots and generally more picture-light than other LPs. Could I ask for some constructive criticism before going into my next one? What did people like/not like? Should I have been more responsive? Blathered less? Blathered more? Longer updates?
Your Soul Blazer LP finish-up wasn't bad at all. Though if you want to rise into the ranks of the most recognized LPers, take a look at what they do and figure out why. Brickroad's FF2 LP contains a lot of the hallmarks of what makes an LP author stand out: he has a definite voice to his updates (and a definite focus on comedy from many angles, but that's just his style), he goes above and beyond the call of duty with his added content, and he provides fun little anecdotes and asides as well.

It's a lot of work to go the extra mile, and if it falls flat, it's sometimes worse than if you hadn't bothered at all. My advice is to ramp it up gradually, and take note when something you've done is not really what people want.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Rollin' around.

Quote:
Brickroad's FF2 LP contains a lot of the hallmarks of what makes an LP author stand out: he has a definite voice to his updates (and a definite focus on comedy from many angles, but that's just his style), he goes above and beyond the call of duty with his added content, and he provides fun little anecdotes and asides as well.
Got to agree with this fully! And its the bad translated version too, double bonus entertainment!

SOOOOoooo I got a dilema. I want to be as in-depth with the Mario NES titles, but I've never been able to get to minus world despite seeing videos on how to do it. That's my only real big issue. On the other hand, I will show off the differences with the different ports! So keep an eye out for that.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Not for resale

So, at some point in the future I fully intend to do an LP of Xenoblade Chronicles. The questions are: 1.) when should I do it, and 2.) how should I do it? My idea at this point (inspired by the fact that there's HD uploads of every major scene in the game) is to post a screenshot LP with links to videos of each and every story scene. And of course, have separate updates from the story ones for quests. Thoughts?
Old 11-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Love and Peace

Xenoblade is a lot like FFXII, in that the quests and hunts make up the vast majority of the desirable content in the game, and that after a promising start, the plot is best left to its own devices. And if you know of any way XC can be broken right out of the gate, by all means, I would like to see that very much.

With that in mind, story and quest segregation would definitely be how I'd handle it. If you have a way to capture video on your setup, and if you aren't shy about your gaming skills, it might also be fun to make videos of some of the Unique Monster quests (I'm not talking about the ones that are pretty much XC's answer to Yiazmat.)