The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Your life is forfeit

Default Nov. RPG: Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne

I can't afford Mirror's Edge and I'm not in the mood for Valkyria Chronicle, so! Please feel free to join me as I do this instead.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Atlus | PlayStation 2 | RPG | 2004

An hour in, I can see where it's going to be a very cool but very difficult game.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:07 PM
World of Darkness Returns

I lost interest at the Matador fight my first attempt at this. Maybe secrets of monster fusion gleaned from a fun club will reinvigorate me enough to continue?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanatos feeding time

I used to think that the day would never come
That my life would depend on the morning sun

I'm in. Second cycle playthrough starting tonight, TDE or bust.

Also, someone call Eirikr.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:15 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I lost interest at the Matador fight my first attempt at this. Maybe secrets of monster fusion gleaned from a fun club will reinvigorate me enough to continue?
Deathstones are where it's at. You don't need all of them, just enough to make a few really good demons to carry you through the midgame.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I remember leaving this off in a forest or park that was SWARMING with fairies.

Someone told me I left off very near the end of the game, but I can't remember anything else about the game besides that, so I wouldn't feel right about just picking it right up from there again.

I'm sure that this Fun Club will either fill me in on the events I've neglected and/or tell me what happens after, so either way I'll be cool.

Thanks, Talking Time Gestalt.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Wretched Fellow

Yes, this would be the perfect chance for me to try and actually beat this one. I got bogged down right about where you have to fight Matador. It's been so long I think I'd better start over, though.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

WHat I do remember of the game allows me to safely give advice for the Matador fight:

You Debuff the CRAP out of that guy and try to Buff the CRAP into yourself.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Bug/Flying

Hey, I own this game. Maybe I should play it!

...Wait, the brother's out of town and he's got the PS2. Play on without me, Talking Time!
Old 11-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Seems like everyone gets stuck at the Matador:

You're going to want two things: an Izume, which you cannot fuse until level 18, and the Hifumi magatama. Both are immune to Force attacks, making the fight much easier.

This fusion application is relevant to your interests.

Also, do not under any circumstances ever fuse the Pixie you get at the beginning of the game.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:06 PM
The Great

Hey! I bought this game back when it was reprinted and haven't played it much yet!

I guess I will now.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Arrrrgh. Ok, I'll give it another shot.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
Fog Breath advice.
This. Fog Breath is one of the best skills in the game, and shouldn't be discarded lightly. IIRC, you also don't have to go out of your way to get it - it's on a magatama that drops from the first boss.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Clickclickclickclick

Hmm... I really need to finish Mother 3 and a couple of retro action games first, but I could grab this off the shelf at my parents' house (it's like storage but cheaper!) when I visit this weekend. See you guys next week, maybe! Like so many others I got stuck at the Matador and will just start over again.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:38 PM
feeling mega-good!

Pronouns: her/she (kisses)

That's Uzume. Just for the record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
Also, do not under any circumstances ever reheat that pizza.
To my knowledge, this is safe. What you actually have to make sure you don't do is throw it out.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
That's Uzume. Just for the record.
Yup, you're right.

Quote:
To my knowledge, this is safe. What you actually have to make sure you don't do is throw it out.
Does this work? I found the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameFaqs.com
Still got that Pixie from the very beginning of the game? That very first pixie?
(though it's probably a Queen Maeve by now, and I've heard that any demon you
fused with thie Pixie will count too
--dunno if it counts if you sacrificed the
Pixie) Show her to this door. She's the only demon that will qualify.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Suspected Atarian

I've been meaning to give this another go, after playing together with my wife fell through. (Final Fantasy XII was good for RPG "co-op" as she could go on hunts if I didn't want to play when she did)
Old 11-11-2008, 02:48 PM
feeling mega-good!

I haven't completed the Labyrinth on my replay yet. But I have confidence that it's true, since she'll automatically evolve into Queen Mab eventually (unless you never let her out of the cage, or fuse her before then)
Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanatos feeding time

I think we're talking about two different things:

-Will either of the Pixie's evolved forms work?
-Will a demon fused with the Pixie work?

I'm confident in the former, less so in the latter. Not that I ever finished the 5th Kalpa myself, anyway :\
Old 11-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Comprehends Words

Oh jeez, you guys are killing me. I have a save that's about 10 hours in. It's been long enough since I last played that I'd probably want to start over (it's rare that I can pick up a game from where I left off if it's been more than a month or so) but it was recent enough that I'm afraid that will be mind numbingly boring for the first few hours.

GAH! I want to play! What should I do, kids? Suck it up and start over, or suck it up and try to figure out what I was doing?

(I know I can just read a FAQ, but I'm just neurotic about that kind of thing. It feels like I'm playing someone else's save file)
Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 PM
feeling mega-good!

I've heard repeatedly that anything you do to it except "Dismiss" is fine, though they could certainly all be equally misinformed, from the same source!

Either way, I don't think it'll be something to stress over for most people anyway. There's certainly enough frustration to be found in the required parts!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
Either way, I don't think it'll be something to stress over for most people anyway.
Nope! Although I'm wondering if someone should give a quick overview of how the endings work in this game, or at least the requirements for the TDE.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:18 PM
so exciting!

Overview of how endings work:
At certain points, different factions are going to come to you and tell you about themselves and what they believe. You'll recognize these sequences, because they're pretty trippy! If you think you might want to see that faction's ending, you'll have to say that you agree with them during these scenes or else you won't be able to.

Later on, there will be another scene for each faction that's sort of a determining point. You'll have to help those factions in these scenes. Sometimes these scenes will be predetermined based on your current alignment. And if you rejected the factions in their first scene, you're automatically locked out of helping them in their second.

Other things, such as how you respond to other situations and in negotiations will alter your alignment.

TDE:
You have to complete the Labyrinth of Amala before you enter the final dungeon. This means you'll have to hunt down and slaughter all the Fiends, as well as fight a handful of tough bosses within the LoA. You'll know the final dungeon when you see it, so just avoid going in there until you've cleared the LoA.

The TDE has priority over everything else, so once you complete the LoA, you're locked into it and there's no way to change it.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:36 PM
We just don't know.

Hmm. Earlier in the year I got to the Assembly of Nihilo and opened up the way to the boss of the area. I'd been struggling with it before due to the weakness/strength system screwing me on boss fights, and had stopped once or twice already (not at matador, strangely enough, I got him on my second try - but Thor was an impossible brick wall, until I fused an elec-strong demon and he became a total cakewalk). That kind of topsy-turvy "difficulty" "curve" was bothersome enough as it was. And then I remember going down the ramp towards this boss area, and running into a random battle where I got hit with a death spell in the first press turn and instant KO'd. And I was like, ok, that's it, I'm done.

I like the idea of the press turns and the strengths/weaknesses, but my first time through I found that the balance was, as we say, fuckt in that if you knew exactly what was happening it was trivially easy, but if you didn't have a guide or intimate knowledge of the game's dark, arcane secrets and mechanics, it was mind-numbingly difficult.

For all that, I liked the demon-fusion and the battle systems and all that, so I may pick this back up!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Don't Stop Believin'

Augh, I'd love to be participating since I've had Nocturne for years without much progress in it, but I've committed to finally finishing Persona 3 this month before P4 comes out, and I've been doing a terrible job of getting back into it with all the DS games I got on my birthday distracting me.

I've seen a video (which I can't find anymore, unfortunately) of a solo playthrough beating the Matador (lots of countering and some breath attack), so I don't think people should give up so easily with that fight!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

If my PS2 hadn't died, I would totally be up for this. I need to finish this game, because I reallly did enjoy what I played.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Faceshove champion

I got this a few months ago when they ran a new print of the game, and have been waiting to finish Digital Devil Saga 2 before moving to it but...a Fun Club sounds like a much better time to tackle this game.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Sudden chomper

Aw man, I just barely finished MGS4 and I was thinking of playing the copy of Suikoden that rei loaned me. Now I have to decide whether to unwrap my reprint copy of Nocturne (and risk SMT burnout as P4 hits in one month) or just play Suiko. I have a feeling that I'll go with the latter - I'm much more likely to actually be finished with Suikoden before P4 comes out. But it's going to hurt missing out on a Fun Club for a game that I intend to play in the next few months that is sitting on my shelf right now.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Banned

Hey, who has my copy of this game? Now is your time!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 PM
The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
(and risk SMT burnout as P4 hits in one month)
This is actually making me consider not playing it too. Since I'm playing Persona 2 right now and intend to do the P4 thing when it comes out. There is such a thing as too much SMT!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
Hey, who has my copy of this game? Now is your time!
Yeah that's me!
Closed Thread