The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Your life is forfeit

Default FC34 Alt: Mirror's Edge

What we have here, see, is Breakdown meets William Gibson's Virtual Light meets Ico set in neo-fascist Tokyo. In other words: so awesome.

Mirror's Edge
EA | PS3/Xbox 360/PC | Free Reactive Parkour Entertainment | Nov. 2008

Man, I wish I could afford to pick up a copy of this game and Fun Club it alongside you guys.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:36 PM
It's not for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Man, I wish I could afford to pick up a copy of this game and Fun Club it alongside you guys.
How long until there's a work copy you can borrow?
Old 11-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Nonplussed

As far as I know the game doesn't arrive on shelves until tomorrow. At least that's when I'll be able to pick up my copy (according to Ashley from Gamestop (tm)). I'm still knee-deep in Fallout 3, but the game has been locking up on me like crazy. I also heard on one of the 1up podcasts (LAN Party, I think) that the game is super short (< 6 hours), so I may be able to bang it out in an evening.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Clickclickclickclick

Quote:
I'm hoping to get either this or Valkyria Chronicles for Christmas.

This game gets bonus points for being a first-person action game that my wife is interested in.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Formerly known as vlad

I got a call from a particularly enthused Ashley from Gamestop telling me it'll be in-store tomorrow afternoon. I'll be stopping by on my way home from work, for sure. I think this is actually taking precedence before Valkyria Chronicles, Fallout 3, PA: Episode 2, AND LBP. I'm that excited about it (and it's short, so I can finish it quickly and move on)
Old 11-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I got a call from a particularly enthused Ashley from Gamestop
What happened to Aeris???
Old 11-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
What happened to Aeris???
She seems to have been replaced in the last few months.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:20 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Holy crap, this is out in a day or two, huh? Man...even when I knew it was coming, it came out of nowhere. As luck would have it, I'm only working a few days next week, so it looks like I'll have plenty of time to dodge trains with you guys. This should kill just enough time to make it till Left 4 Dead, anyway.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:27 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I will pick this up Thursday. I will play it. I will watch a new Office. Then I will go see the midnight showing of Quantum of Solace.
Life is good.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:48 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I guess I'm the only one to get this yet. :P

I can sort of see the Breakdown resemblance (that game had horrible gunplay too!), but I can hardly see anyone hyping up Mirror's Edge while talking about the melee combat.

I've gone through 3 chapters, loving it. Yeah, I died a lot, but mainly from learning my route and not moving fast enough when I was being shot at.

The rush you get when trying to escape one office area, jump kicking through a glass wall, wallrunning across a gap, swinging to safety--so great!

Story and voice acting is kind of bleh, but that's just a thin glue to hold together the narrative to push the gameplay along.

There's collectibles in the levels, though not many (3 per level so far), but considering the side of the levels that isn't bad. Plus, being able to replay the chapter of your choice is always convenient.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Dragon Puncher

Man, oh man.

I'm three chapters in, myself. If this sucker keeps up, it'll be my favorite game of the year.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Nonplussed

I picked mine up on the way home. I've played through the prologue and the first chapter. In general, I've really enjoyed it so far The big chase in the first chapter was pretty exciting. I did have problem making one jump after coming out of the elevator in the CEC building. I could not seem to consistently get over that one with a wall run.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned

Sorta OT question: Why do these threads always close? I'd like to enjoy a game and comment about it here, but they always close so early, so by the time I finally get a used/on-sale copy of whatever it is, the discussion is over by order of Stalin.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:44 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Free Reactive Parkour Entertainment
Well played, sir, but can I buy canned coffee?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM
utada hikaru

I have only one question: does the game feature an Endless Attack mode?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:16 PM

I picked this up today and have played through a good chunk of it. Shivam was right in the other thread when he said there are certain spots where the game forces you into combat, and those bits aren't so hot (though usually I end up doing some crazy stunt afterward that makes me forget about my irritation with the combat system). If you can snag a gun from a cop you'll be all right, except the guns seem to come with very little ammo (of course, when the cops have the guns they have unlimited ammo).

The good far outweighs the bad to me so far. The Unlockables are a nice touch, especially the jukebox.

I also figured out the game's first "big" plot twist well in advance. But hey, I'm here for the jumping off buildings; the story is pretty much secondary for me.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:25 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Got it today. I've been playing it with a friend and he put it better than I could:

"This is the best 1st attempt they could've done."

The combat really is terrible (I see what the demo-haters were talking about), and there's a lot of cheap deaths. It's still really cool to jump/slide over stuff, but once the novelty wears off it's not that great. I'm glad I'm playing through it with a friend, because without that, I think I would be sick of this game already. But there's a lot of potential here, and the inevitable Mirror's Edge 2/3 could be something else.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:03 PM
ILU Tiger Millionaire

Got it today. Or, technically, "yesterday," as it's past midnight as I type this. But I digress.

I haven't gotten very far. In fact, I only completed Chapter 1. My impressions from it so far, however, are rather solid. Then again, this is one of the few "big holiday season" games that I have been looking forward to for a while. I will agree with Alixsar that it's the best first attempt they could do. So far, I truly am enjoying it. The combat is not amazing, and I'm glad that it isn't the biggest selling point of the game. But oh, when you get to simply run...

I know that it may get old as the game progresses, but so far I love the parkour aspect of the game. Remember in the first Matrix film? Remember Trinity running from the police and the Agents, trying to find an exit? Bear with me, as this may sound weird, but Mirror's Edge reminds me of that. Fighting an oppressive authority with guns and...well, fighting, has been done. Yes, I know that gunplay and hand-to-hand combat can be utilized in this game. But there's something to be said about the exhilaration of running full-speed away from the enemies, fighting only if necessary. Yes, a game is not only good just because it is different, but as said before, this is an amazing first attempt. I do hope that some of the cheap deaths and combat are ironed out if any sequels or spiritual successors are developed. But so far, I am enjoying this.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Designated Antagonist

I just finished Chapter 4, and while I am enjoying it, so far I've run into several badly placed checkpoints which have really stunted my enjoyment of the game from what it could have been. I really love it when everything clicks and I'm traversing rooftops and just moving, but when they pull shit that is basically a QTE without an explicit instruction to press a particular button, or, even worse, expect you to jump from a moving train onto another moving train... without putting a checkpoint on the damn train, I get kind of cranky.

Also, I was stuck on one sequence of jumps halfway through Chapter 2 for like half an hour. The checkpoint was before a pair of horizontal bars which weren't aligned, and even though I got past them fine the first time, I got past them 4 times in literally dozens of tries after I kept on failing on the jump after that. I really, really, think that making the areas marked with runner vision have some amount of magnetism (like, any) wouldn't have hurt the game.

Last edited by Malefor; 11-13-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:38 AM
Level 10 Roustabout/Knave

Relevant to the interests of those in this thread.

I don't know if EA realizes that they are sitting on a magical gold mine here, as I've had way more fun with the 2d demo than the 3d one.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Formerly known as vlad

I accidentally posted these thoughts in the Mirror's Edge Demo thread, but I found this, so I'm just going to copy/paste what I said there.

I had super high expectations coming in, so I'm not surprised that the game isn't quite living up to them especially after seeing the so-so reviews from a couple places, but overall I'm really liking it. In many ways it does feel like Price of Persia in first-person, right down to having not-so-great combat. It's a good thing checkpoints are placed liberally and the game starts back up quickly when you die, or else I would be annoyed. There's definitely a lot of learn by dying and trying again, but not so much that I feel frustrated.

There are fewer bright red cues on where to go next than I expected there to be, but I've found the "hint" button (circle on the PS3 controller) to help when you get stuck or aren't sure where to go next.

The story is good so far, but I was hoping for a little more. I suppose again that's because of my super-high expectations, but I was so excited by the promise of what this world could produce in terms of narrative, I guess the story I'm getting is a little less than I was hoping for. I think that's partly to do with the animated story cutscenes. At first I really enjoyed them, but when I realized all the game's story scenes were in this style, I felt a little gyped. The more I see them, the more I agree with my friend's assessment of them: They look like E-Surance commercials.

These are all fairly minor complaints though. The story is pretty good, and I'm curious to see what's going to happen. The sense of speed and exhilaration from being constantly chased is awesome, especially when you really hit everything right and jump, slide, and clamber through the cityscapes perfectly. And the game is beautiful...maybe a little too bright white at times, but the aesthetic is so striking it's hard to criticize.

I like the game a lot, but not quite as much as I was hoping I would.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:49 AM
Formerly known as vlad

PS, that 2D version was pretty cool and really proved to me, no matter what anyone else says, that this game has a shocking amount in common with Sonic, both the 2D and 3D versions
Old 11-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Dragon Puncher

Hm!

I played through Chapter 4 (I think? I was jumping on top of trains and shit) last night, and I gotta say, it's meeting all my expectations. Better actually--I figured I'd hate the combat, but I think it's fine.

On the 1up Show, the dudes were complaining that you couldn't snag guns after doing a melee attack, and while that makes sense, that'd also be super easy. Learning the timing--and that isn't a simple thing--is a trial and error thing, but once you got it down, taking out a group of bad guys ain't too difficult.

I went into this figuring it'd be a trial and error game, and it is. Also, that's sorta what I wanted. I'm all about learning/perfecting the lines.

And how about them time trials? Racing ghosts is the way to go, I tell ya. (Still, I want head-to-head races. We've all got that perfect run, but can you be consistent?)

So yeah! I absolutely love this game so far. If it weren't for my undying loyalty to ol' Kojima, this would be my favorite game of the year BY FAR.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Bald Gendou

I have not played this yet but I will give my impressions thus far:

I picked up my copy last night and I guess there was a tote bag you got for putting money down?

...How does EA justify firing 600 employees when they printed thousands of tote bags? Seriously are we in backwards land?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Wretched Fellow

Of course we are.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm Guycot View Post
...How does EA justify firing 600 employees when they printed thousands of tote bags? Seriously are we in backwards land?
.noitseuq ylliS
Old 11-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Pronouns: He/Him

I should be getting this from Gamefly on Monday. I'm excited to try it as I loved the demo.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:50 AM

Remember the times when you get stuck playing Portal, only to have the answer to one of its puzzle being painstakingly obvious after 10 minutes of figuring it out?

I got the same feeling when playing through Mirror's Edge. Only I was planning on where to jump and figuring out what's the more efficient way to get through the awesomely-designed level layout. The motion-sickness deal? Just play a chapter and relax your eyes for 10 minutes or so if it bothers you. This is definitely one of the must-buys of 2008.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:45 PM
borgn

I just bought it a half hour ago, but I have to wait for my laundry to finish, then go grocery shopping. The sweet anticipation will be like needles in my flesh.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:26 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toffee View Post
Remember the times when you get stuck playing Portal, only to have the answer to one of its puzzle being painstakingly obvious after 10 minutes of figuring it out?
Yep. While the game is excellent, so far (just played through the first chapter and into the sewers of the second), it's one of those games that I have to take in short bursts, or else I'll get too frustrated with it. I also set it to easy, since the game comes out and tells you that this really only effects combat, which everyone hates anyway, so it's not a big deal. Since doing that, I haven't had the frustration with combat other people seem to be mentioning. It's not a cakewalk now, but definitely manageable.

So between this and Portal it's official: the problem I've always had with FPSs has always been with the S part, not so much the FP part. Playing a first-person game that gets shooting out of the way is actually really fun.
Closed Thread