The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 PM
Wretched Fellow

I wish more people had a PS3. This game deserves a better showing.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
I wish more people had a PS3 and that Sega put any sort of effort at all into advertising this game. When I pre-ordered my copy the guy at EB had no idea what it even was, and this was less than a week before release.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:06 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
I'm torn between my desire to save cash for now and to pick this up and help it in some small way.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Wretched Fellow

You vote with your wallet. If this game is successful, the bean counters will know it and commission similar fare.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
I'm torn between my desire to save cash for now and to pick this up and help it in some small way.
GOTY, Cal, GOTY.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Formerly known as vlad

Jann does have really good abilities, and as somewhat offensive I find his stereotype to be...we can all lighten up and laugh at a femmy queen sometimes, right? Right?

And yeah, it's such a shame that this game isn't going to be played by a lot of people who really should play it. I can easily, honestly say that this is the most fun I've had with a SRPG since Final Fantasy Tactics.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Fun Club Agent

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Jann does have really good abilities
Extra shot? HELL YES.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Banned

I want to buy this game so badly, but Rock Band/Ion drums are demanding my dollars this winter. This is my first buy once I have a real job though.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Fun Club Agent

Oh my gosh. I just got an A on the beach skirmish. That's so awesome.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:58 PM
certified comics master

I don't even have a PS3 and I've been trying to spread the word as best I can. Unfortunately, I can count the number of people I know personally who have a PS3 on one hand. I've already converted my roommate (who beat the game just yesterday), so that leaves... my brother and two friends I rarely see.

Well! I think I know what my brother's getting for Christmas! Anything to increase the chances of a Skies of Arcadia 2. C'mon, Sega- pleeeeeeaaaase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb
Right. And there are older women. There are a ton of women in the mid-to-late 30s. But you're right, there's not a woman as old as that one old bald guy. But even then, he's an exception to the general age.
Well, yeah, but I was specifically referring to the part where Prime Minister Borg issues an emergency draft for both men and women ages something to 29 years old and only for able-bodied men 30+. I'd put Coby and Yoko around the same age group (although Coby's pretty out there) and say that the genders are pretty equal.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Fun Club Agent

If you look in the Personnel tab, it tells the biographies and ages of all the soldiers. Yoko is 37.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 PM
certified comics master

Doesn't that make her only two years older than Eleanor Varrot? Geez. I guess some anime characters age more gracefully than others. Okay then, Coby's a gramps all by himself- unless someone's gonna tell me he's really only 39.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Fun Club Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu View Post
Doesn't that make her only two years older than Eleanor Varrot? Geez. I guess some anime characters age more gracefully than others. Okay then, Coby's a gramps all by himself- unless someone's gonna tell me he's really only 39.
Yep. He's 65.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 PM
certified comics master

Wow, he's a real trooper!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Formerly known as vlad

He's also a Darcsen! Baaaaahhhhh!!!

After playing for a couple more hours tonight, I just have to say...

*sigh* I love this game.

I had really fallen off the RPG bandwagon after not really liking DQVIII and slogging my way through FFXII, but after playing The World Ends With You, Mass Effect, and now this in the last 6 months, I'm in love all over again.

PS, Jann is definitely in my good graces now after he had a couple clutch shots in first bridge battle mission.

Also, special shout-out to the music, which are like great outtakes from the FFXII soundtrack plus a little unique twist. I think Hitoshi Sakimoto has officially become my favorite video game music composer.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

I got my first "A" last night on the armored car/save the princess level. I finished it in 2 turns and didn't take any damage. I guess I should have killed some dudes.

So far the my favorite/most memorable part in the game is where Alicia tends to the wounded soldier. It doesn't have much to do with the main storyline but it's a little insight into the character and the scene after that is awesome as well. It doesn't go so far as the WWII Christmas truce but it's kinda like the part in FFVI where your team seems Leo for the first time.

This is probably my second favorite SRPG of all time and I've played plenty. The combat is really strategic and satisfying when a plan comes together. Like I said before the battle mechanics are as good as Front Mission 3 and the story and characters are memorable and enjoyable.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Wretched Fellow

I hate some of the anime stereotype bullshit like the pig with wings that sounds like it's being voiced by Frank Welker, though.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Yeah, the pig is kinda retarded...

Is it just me or does Zaka (the leader in the camp) sound like Spike from Cowboy Bebop?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Fun Club Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
Yeah, the pig is kinda retarded...

Is it just me or does Zaka (the leader in the camp) sound like Spike from Cowboy Bebop?
Steven Blum really gets around.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:55 PM
delete the world

Pronouns: her/she (kisses)

I just finished Chapter 4. That battle was pretty tough! (But also I'm still really bad) I'm slightly irritated that Alicia is kinda-but-not-really "required" since as a leader she gives you extra turns for being there. Not that I don't like her, quite the contrary really, but there was only space for one Scout there and I was hoping to take someone else. I'm also hoping Snipers become more useful soon.

Out of the minor characters, I've used Noce (I think he's Liam O'Brien!), Aika, Vyse, Edy, Wendy (she's a bit disturbing!) Dallas, Jann, and Walter so far. It's making me feel bad that I've wanted to play SoA for years and never bought it.

There are so many brilliant things in this game I don't feel like trying to enumerate them. It's really, really, really good. It mostly boils down to this for me though, not only is it a really fresh and creative strategy game, but it's actually fun too. Mixing in the aiming and the overall action-based pacing makes the tactics more than just cerebral, and it just builds on the overall tactics in this game, considering the chain of weaknesses and the necessity for cover and units taking care of each other, which I like much more than in any other game in the genre I've played.

I do think I'll have to stop for today, after watching the scenes leading up to the next one of course.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:41 PM
heh

So I've finally decided that once you get Elite Scouts, you just need to scout rush every map in order to get an A rank. Just push them forwards as quickly as possible, take any intermediate enemy flags, and then use those to deploy Lancers and Troopers if you need them.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Designated Antagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
So I've finally decided that once you get Elite Scouts, you just need to scout rush every map in order to get an A rank. Just push them forwards as quickly as possible, take any intermediate enemy flags, and then use those to deploy Lancers and Troopers if you need them.
Y'see, this is why I think the ranking system is bullshit. You shouldn't have to adopt a very particular style of play if you want to do well - there's a ton of fun to be had by setting up crossfires with units crouching behind sandbags, but the game disincentivizes doing that.

I don't want to come off too negative, but I love this game, and I wish that they hadn't decided that you would be evaluated & rewarded almost solely based on how quickly you clear a map.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:47 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefor View Post
Y'see, this is why I think the ranking system is bullshit. You shouldn't have to adopt a very particular style of play if you want to do well - there's a ton of fun to be had by setting up crossfires with units crouching behind sandbags, but the game disincentivizes doing that.

I don't want to come off too negative, but I love this game, and I wish that they hadn't decided that you would be evaluated & rewarded almost solely based on how quickly you clear a map.
Yeah, I totally agree. As nice as it was the quickly finish the map and get a huge reward for it, I can't help but feel like I missed out on something.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Fun Club Agent

I beat Chapter 13 using just two scouts and a lancer.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:54 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_snake18 View Post
I beat Chapter 13 using just two scouts and a lancer.
I did pretty much the same, except I sent my engineer along with my two scouts as backup. But aside from that, the three of them took the first objective, I deployed a lancer from there, and then moved on to the final objective with no trouble at all.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM
certified comics master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
It's making me feel bad that I've wanted to play SoA for years and never bought it.
Your next assignment after finishing VC is to play SoA. It's pretty easy to find on eBay for like $25 (including shipping) if you can't find it used at a store.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
Yeah, I totally agree. As nice as it was the quickly finish the map and get a huge reward for it, I can't help but feel like I missed out on something.
So I'm still saving this game for after I get my HDTV hooked up and finish my LBP level, but I have a question about this experience system issue.

Can you play it such that you take your time and experiment the first time through (thus probably getting mediocre grades at best), then later go back and blitz through replay-able mission for good grades, and maintain decent class levels that way? How well does that strategy work?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic
You'll make it! That's a promise!
^Adorable
Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Follow the fuck-man

I want to play this game so bad but I doubt I will ever get the time. I am curious what the problem is with the ending though, care to spoil it for me?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Run Trombe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
^Adorable
I also like Aika's "If you die on me, I'm taking all your treasure!"

Also when her Nocturnal potential activates "I not afraid of the dark, just afraid of ghosts."

Last edited by Indalecio; 11-14-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Closed Thread