The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Notices

Old 09-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Chief

Default I'm a pretty pretty Princess! Let's Play Long Live the Queen

Long Live the Queen is a visual novel / life sim game where you are a young princess scheduled to be crowned queen on your 15th birthday after the death of the previous regent, your mother. The major difficulty with this is that you live in Westeros instead of the fluffy cotton candy world the game's anime styling suggests. You'll have to keep the kingdom running while putting down rebellions, dealing with duplicitous nobles and even facing the occasional eldrich horror. To do this, we can train in a wide variety of skills ranging from etiquette and protocol to spycraft and even full on magical girl superpowers as the title screen up there suggests. Depending on what you train when, the events in game will vary based on which skill checks you pass and which decisions you make as queen-to-be.

Since we get skill training choices similar to Persona 3/4's s-links, I'll be asking you guys for input on how to train our young regent. Here's hoping you don't get her killed! You will, you monsters.

Table of Contents
Chapter 1: You can't go home again
Chapter 2: Be Our Guest
Chapter 3: A mysterious stranger appears! Command?
Chapter 4: SNAAAAAAKE!
Chapter 5: Lore of the Dance
Chapter 6: Oooooh, shiny!
Chapter 7: Full Court Press
Chapter 8: Slow News Day
Chapter 9: Trouble Brewing
Chapter 10: Unless of course, war were declared
Chapter 11: Mawwidge

Last edited by Mr Bean; 09-28-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:26 AM
Chief

Default Chapter 1: You can't go home again

We open with the ride back to the castle with what I'm assuming is our father.

Clicking on the little question mark in the corner of the dialogue screen gets you additional info on any person in the game. Joslyn here is the current regent until we officially come of age, but he'll defer to us most of the time when it comes to matters of state.

And here we are.

We're understandably upset about the whole thing. It's a guess, but we probably found out when dad here came to pick us up from school.

Has the 'stiff upper lip' pep talk ever worked? So that's the story. Our mother died suddenly and unexpectedly and now the kingdom is in our hands. Should be no problem, right?

Editors note: I'll be transcribing dialogue in future updates, but this gives you an idea of how the game presents things.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Chief

Now we come to the meat of the game: our room.

This is where we're going to be making most of the critical decisions that affect the progression of the game. On the right side of the screen you can see the menu setup where we input our choices for how our young queen will develop. At the top is the calendar icon, showing us what week it is. Fixed events always occur in the same week going through the game, so you can plan ahead and make sure you have the skills to deal with them when they come up. Next is the skills menu:

This is a list of all the skills in the game, what level we have them trained to and what bonuses and modifiers are currently effecting our training time. Positive modifiers speed up our learning of a particular skill and negatives slow it down. I'll explain how the training system works in just a bit. Throughout the game, we'll have skill checks against ALL of these skills. Generally if we pass, good things happen. There's so many skills that it's impossible to train in them all, so we'll need to pick which ones we want to focus on and which ones just need a just a little or being skipped entirely.

This is the mood screen:

There are 8 moods in the game and our mood will shift based on what activities we participate in and what happens during the game. Our dominant mood is the one with the most points shown on this screen. We're afraid and depressed right now, but since we're more depressed than afraid, depressed is our dominant mood. Our mood mostly impacts what bonuses we get during skill training, but it has the occasional impact during our conversations with NPCs as well.

There's nothing in the outfit screen for now, so I'm going to skip ahead to the classes menu:

Here's where we choose what we want to learn for the week. Our modifiers from the skill screen impact how fast we learn these skills. The base learning rate is 2 points per day. On a skill with no modifiers that's 2 points x 5 days = 10 points. On a skill with a +1 modifier, that's (2+1) x 5 = 15. Generally we're going to want to train skills we have a positive modifier to in order to be as efficient as possible, but sometimes we're going to have to go against the grain for a critical skill. We can train in 2 skills per week, so we can either focus our attention on one, or split it up amongst the various categories. Mood is big modifier at the beginning of the game, but we'll get better at things as we learn them too. We get a bonus to the sub-category at 1/10 of our total points in that sub-category and a bonus to the main category at 1/10th that. So if we put 10 points into Internal Affairs, we'd get a +0.1 bonus to the Intrigue sub-category and a +0.01 point bonus to the Intellectual category.

So here's what I'm going to need from you guys: tell me what Elodie here should learn. What do you want her to learn right now, and what should I be angling towards for her to learn in the future? I leave the fate of the kingdom in your hands.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:58 AM
This way up

History and economics.

Best to get the background stuff down now, while things are slow. I suspect we might not have time for this later.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Not much of a donkey

Pronouns: He/Him

Nonsense. If this is anime!Westeros, the only kind of diplomacy anyone is going to understand is a good old-fashioned ass-kicking. We must practice in some form of martial or magical combat, possibly to the exclusion of all else.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:16 AM
disguised king of surfing

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
Nonsense. If this is anime!Westeros, the only kind of diplomacy anyone is going to understand is a good old-fashioned ass-kicking. We must practice in some form of martial or magical combat, possibly to the exclusion of all else.
Well, we can't yet study how to roast dissenters alive, but we can study how to cut them up like Swiss cheese.

So go for Swords and...eh, let's try handling falcons. Maybe we can turn this into Swordbirds.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
Here's hoping you don't get her killed! You will, you monsters.
Haha yep
Old 09-26-2015, 08:05 PM

Old 09-26-2015, 08:46 PM

Also voting for execute him.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:51 PM
...?!

We'll look weak giving up money or land, and we might make ourselves look foolish trying to bluff. Safer to execute him.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:20 PM

Wait a second.

Brin's 33?

I thought this was an anime! People are supposed to be dead by 33!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Isn't there a way to force Brin to marry an Ixionite as part of a treaty? I vaguely remember that one but am guessing we don't have the stats to trigger it. Or is that later in the game?
Old 09-27-2015, 12:58 PM
moray expansion tho

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I like the title "Duchess of Hellas", makes her sound like the ruler of the Republic of California
Old 09-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

"Him" is the delegate from Ixion, right? I doubt we have the skills to bluff or intimidate. We might have the economics prowess to haggle, but I wouldn't put money on it. I'd just surrender the province, personally, but I've never tried executing him, so that sounds exciting, too.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Chief

Default Chapter 10a: War were delcared

OK, so we've decided on Game of Thrones style diplomacy.

Perfectly viable, if a little messy.

Elodie: And here you have our answer. (+1 Angry)

Elodie: Ship that back to Ixion. If they know what's good for them, they'll get out of my way.

That rather forcefully states our position to Ixion. Of course, beheading the ambassador you called for is probably poor form, so I'd expect reprisals next week. That's next week though, for now, let's just clear our head a bit.

Our mood hasn't changed, but we're going to top out on Presence pretty quickly if we just keep training it, so I've taken the liberty of queuing up Composure and Elegance this week. As mentioned before, you need to get all 3 skills to at least 25 before you can train any one skill past 50, and we need 60 presence to break into the vault with our eldritch power source.

Composure teaches us how to take a deep breath,

and elegance has us practicing our balance.

Afterwards, we find out how that pesky little war is going.

You receive a report on the outcome of the battle against the Ixionites.
You succeeded in driving them out of Maree, but it cost you almost a full battalion of soldiers and a great deal of materiel.
You lost 1032 soldiers

You also receive a letter informing you that Talarist, Duke of Sedna, will be arriving for an official visit next week.

Wow, busy week. We kicked out an occupying force and got notice of another noble coming to visit. Before that though, let's visit with King Dad for some perspective on this whole mess:

Elodie: Oh.
Should I have done that?

Joslyn: The situation is different now. Everyone on all sides wishes to see what sort of Queen is coming to the throne.

Well that's unsettling. The nobles just provoked us into a small scale act of war just to see how we'd react. No pressure or anything.

You can learn the background of the Ixion conflict if you train History and other such skills, but for anyone who wants the basics, here they are: A few years ago, Brin decided that she wanted to increase Maree's holdings. The Ixions were historic enemies, but had been maintaining a peace under Fidelia. Bree rounded up the local militias, pushed across the border and occupied a chunk of northern Ixion thinking that there wouldn't be a big response. Ixion got pissed off, mobilized the army and pushed her out of Ixion territory while taking a chunk of Maree and occupying it for their trouble. With enough training in history and politics, you can offer Brie up to the Ixionites as compensation for getting the territory back.

Here's where we stand so far with our training:

Again, I'm going to train Composure and Elegance so that we can blitz our last bit of required Presence next training session.

Composure training is kind of weird,

but Elegance training let's us take a quick break for tea. Always important in a royal household.

We've also unlocked our first outfit! You can't change except during the weekend in your room, so I'll show it off next time, but you unlock outfits for each particular skill group when you get all 3 of its skills past 25.

For now though, we've got company to entertain.

Talarist is from the country to the southeast of us, so he's not part of Novan society. Hopefully we can get through this visit without starting another war.

Elodie: (I don't know how to deal with handsome older men paying me compliments!)

Talarist: I was so pleased to hear that you had accepted my humble offering. A jewel for a jewel - but you are the more precious.
I hope that this is only the beginning of a mutually beneficial relationship. A union between us would bring stability to both our peoples.

Welp. So Talarist wants to marry into the Novan line, sealing our alliance with blood.

So whadda say Talking Time? Wanna get hitched to a man 12 years our senior who we've known for less than an hour?

Quiet you.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:48 AM
...?!

I say no. Can we execute him, too?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:16 AM

It is in poor form to arrange for a wedding with the soon-to-be queen minutes after finishing the funeral procession. On the other hand, he would be invested in our survival to coronation should we agree, since the wedding itself would necessarily be put off until after the coronation.

Does Talasse have anything we want other than simply covering that border should when we find ourselves in war?
Old 10-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

I say accept.
Old 10-04-2015, 04:39 PM

Go for it. He's the best option so far!

Wait, what do you mean he's the only one?! That still makes him best!
Old 10-04-2015, 06:12 PM
moray expansion tho

i for one can't wait to settle down and pop out some puce-haired children
Old 10-04-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
well

it's a step up from pink, at least
Old 10-04-2015, 08:26 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
I'd ask if you're sure if that's what color hair the children would have but I think trying to determine the dominance of anime hair color traits is a sure path to madness.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
I'd ask if you're sure if that's what color hair the children would have but I think trying to determine the dominance of anime hair color traits is a sure path to madness.
Especially here; I'm pretty sure there's no apparent source of Briony's green hair.

(I have no idea what constitutes a spoiler with this game, so I'm being super-paranoid about it.)
Old 11-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Chief

Default Chapter 11: Mawwidge

Before we get started, there is one important thing I think needs addressing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
I always figured it was like blending two colors on a color wheel. I figure Elodie and Talarist will have some nice violet haired children.

Let's get hitched and find out for sure!

Doesn't look like we'll be getting King Dad's blessing though.

Joslyn: Your Grace, are you not aware that my daughter has only fourteen summers?

Elodie: It's my decision.

Oh right, that whole age of consent thing. Welcome to Novabama!

Ok, an arranged marriage is slightly less disconcerting.

Talarist: If I might be of service in any way, please, send for me. I will be happy to offer my protection or advice.

Joslyn: ...

Doesn't mean King Dad has to like it though.

Let's go visit with Fidelia and see if we can remember any relevant life lessons she taught us.

Nope. Just spooky, depressing foreshadowing. Thanks Mom!

On to more important matters: new clothes! One of the quality of life improvements in the big content patch that came out while I was on hiatus was that the menu screen now shows you when you have a new outfit to try on.

For getting all our Demeanor skills up to snuff, we get the princess's coronet and royal garb.

Now we look like royalty!

As an added bonus, each outfit boosts all the skills in each category of it's origin group by 10 points. These will help you pass skill checks, but doesn't have any impact on training times. Only innate skills and mood bonuses can speed that up.

Now then, let's finish training up Presence so we can get the magical mcguffin that is our birthright!

We pretend to be a tree and pretend to acknowledge others in the morning,

then practice imposing our will upon everything and everyone in the castle.

Before we move on however, someone is requesting the Queen's justice.

That's what I said...

Meet Kevan, the angriest noble in all of Nova.

Let's see if we can get a little background before we go handing out pardons.

Kevan: Corisande, the Duchess of Mead.

Elodie: Is she all right?
(Novan History -> Failed)

Kevan: She is unharmed. We caught the culprit in the kitchens before anyone could eat her foul spew.

Elodie: Well, what do you have to say for yourself?

Poor lady doesn't even get a portrait to plead her case with.

Condemned Woman: Lied to her, they did, when she went to see why he'd not come back. Said he'd gone for a soldier, when he never would!
He weren't the only one neither. I waited ten years for my chance to get my own back. That's justice!

Kevan: You see? She's completely unrepentant! Hang her and be done with it.

Great, now we need to decide this woman's fate while being completely in the dark as to what actually happened. Being the highest authority in the land sure is fun.

Decide this woman's fate Talking Time!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:30 AM
Not much of a donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post

Joslyn: Your Grace, are you not aware that my daughter has only fourteen summers?

Elodie: It's my decision.

Oh right, that whole age of consent thing. Welcome to Novabama!

Holy shit, maybe those points in Divination DID work.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:52 AM
Chief

Alright! Time to learn some... decoration?

It won the vote 4 to 2. Let's decorate!

And here we see the dangers of training when your mood is running against you. With a -1 mood modifier we're training decoration at half speed. It takes 2 full sessions to bump the skill up just one tier. Sometimes you'll be working with a -2 or even a -3 if events don't go your way. At that point, you can't even get the paltry points we just learned and you have to find something else to train.

Anyway, festival time!

Joslyn: Will you be leading the parade?
If you have any concerns about your safety, please, stay here.
The people will recover from disappointment; if we lose you, there is no recovery.

C'mon King Dad, everyone loves a parade! What do you think Talking Time?
Old 10-04-2015, 08:45 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Maybe spoiler dyes it? *shrug*
Or it could be a curse. Or some magical portent.

Who knows...
Old 10-05-2015, 04:27 AM

OFF WITH HIS PANTS!
Old 11-01-2015, 08:58 PM
moray expansion tho

killing is wrong. let's kill her.
Old 11-01-2015, 10:03 PM

She only attempted murder, so put her in prison.

Tags
backstabbing best friend , kawaii princess sim , let's play , long live the queen , pretty pretty princess