The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 02-18-2018, 06:37 PM
We just don't know.

help

I want to build more gunpla, but I don't give a shit about any other gundams enough to pick up the kits

Like I actively don't want more gunpla for their own sake, especially not stuff like, I dunno, the guncannon or guntank that I think look Pretty Lame, or endless variations on the main gundam from series I haven't and likely won't watch (zakus are cool tho)

I... I just liked putting them together

what a dilemma

I also got a marker to line the ones I've got so who knows how deep this rabbit hole will go
Old 02-18-2018, 06:52 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

I'll ignore your slight against the immortal Guntanks and Guncannons, those gods of mech design, and instead try to help with your plight.

It seems you may have one of two problems. You:

A. Want to build more gunpla, but you're not familiar with your range of options.
B. Want to build more gunpla, but you need to care about the mecha you're building and you don't care about anything past the OG Gundam and Zaku II.

There are a few routes you could go with this.

For problem A, I would recommend browsing dalong.net. It is a Korean site with photography and reviews of just about every Gunpla ever produced, along with photography of each kit assembled directly out of the box. Sometimes they are panel lined, but that is as far as the photographer goes with modification, so you'll know exactly what you're getting with each kit.

For problem B, your problem could be solved in a couple different ways. You could:

1. Watch more Gundam anime and gain an appreciation for mecha and thus want to build a kit(s). Maybe you've already watched every Gundam. I have no idea.

2. Seek out more versions of the RX-78 and Zaku II. There are endless varieties. You've build some HG kits, so you could explore the MG versions (specifically the RX-78 3.0 MG or the Zaku II 2.0), or perhaps the RG versions.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 PM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

Gundam is also not the only franchise that gets model kits. If it's not a matter of needing attachment, you could look at the other stuff that companies like Kotobukiya makes, like Formula Skell, or stuff from Super Robot Wars. Bandai also makes some non-Gundam kits, like Scopedogs and Evas. Unfortunately they've been out of production for years so the good ones are hard to come by, but LBX kits are incredible.

Of course, the problem with a lot of these is that imports are probably going to be your only option. The place close to where my parents live that I've gotten some stuff from only has a handful of non-Gundam kits, and it's mostly Bandai's selection of One Piece ship models. The prices will PROBABLY end up about equal, but obviously you can't just show up and buy them.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:01 PM

Like Dracula says, there's a lot of gunpla out there you can explore to find something you like. So you aren't big on protag suits, but Zakus are cool - there's a buttload of Zaku-lookin' things and gnarly enemy mobile suits you could make that better suit your tastes.

Also if you more just like the act of building and don't really want the end products, you can consider giving them away as gifts, donating them, or selling them when you're done. Also, high grades are nice, but I really really like building Master Grades because they're a much more involved experience, so consider doing one of those. They're more expensive, but they'll proportionally much more enjoyable and time consuming to build versus their High Grade counterparts and not prohibitively expensive like Perfect Grades. (I'd recommend the The Origin version of the RX-78-2 over the 3.0)

And like Umbalgo said, there's tons of other model kits for other robot (and non-robot) franchises out there you can make model kits for. A friend just bought me a Son Goku model kit from Bandai, and boy oh boy is it fresh (most of the recent DBZ line is really good). Just in my closet alone, I'm sitting on model kits for Patlabor, Tiger & Bunny, Evangelion, Zone of the Enders, Macross, Valvrave, Dunbine, Yamato 2199, Active Raid, Majin Bone, and Captain Earth that I haven't assembled yet. And there's all kinds of other model kits, from Kamen Rider, to Eureka Seven, to Code Geass, to Doraemon, to One Piece ships, to Finding Nemo, to a buttload of really cool Star Wars model kits. (What I wouldn't do for the recent Bandai Perfect Grade Millennium Falcon) So take a look around and find something that does sound cool to you.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:24 AM

I've been building kits on and off for a while, but haven't been taking/uploading pictures. So I hope to rectify that here in the next few days.

Here's a Figure-Rise Standard Android #18 I made a while back.

It's pretty good, IMO! They're a little on the pricier side, being roughly RG prices. But the build quality is strong. The color separation is pretty good. The seam lines are all fairly decent for a human character. See the eyes? That's all color-separated plastic, not bad decals! (Why Bandai figured it out for these, and not say, the Super Fumina is beyond me.) The swapable faces are neat. The size is somewhere between a typical MG and a HG. There's dozens of DBZ kits out. I've got a Goku sitting here ready to go, and I look forward to filling out the Z Fighters with a Vegeta, a Krillin, a Gohan, and a Piccolo. If you like DBZ, and you like making model kits, these are a pretty good experience.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:39 PM
We just don't know.

I got gunpla markers! Well, I got a gray and a black. Any tips or tricks for the markers in general? Or like, which shade to use on what?
Old 02-24-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I got gunpla markers! Well, I got a gray and a black. Any tips or tricks for the markers in general? Or like, which shade to use on what?
I assume panel lining markers?

General advice I've always heard seems to be use the grey to panel line white plastic; black on everything else. But it's up to you! Try them both out. In my experience, the grey gunpla markers are a little on the light side, but when there's accents and panel lines you want to highlight but don't want them to stand out super strong, they're good for that. For example, the Android 18 above, I used grey for the lines on the arm sleeves instead of black because it just kinda looks better to me. Meanwhile, I used black to panel line this Turn-A Gundam, and I think that was the right choice over grey considering how stark/prominent the contour lines are in the original show for the Turn-A:

And for this BALL, I used grey panel lines on grey plastic because I just liked the more subtle lines:

So it's really up to you! The thing about gundam markers is that if you decide you don't like panel lining it in a certain color, it's no big deal, just redo it in a different one. Try out both! The gundam markers should be alcohol-soluble, so just get some q-tips, some high concentration isopropyl alcohol, and wipe clean. (Also just a good idea to have on hand anyways to clean up any mistakes.)
Old 02-25-2018, 04:29 PM
Objection!

Finished this one up today. Stalled on it heavily because the joint sheaths were just kind of a pain to work on, even though I actually really like the Thunderbolt's design. Still, the kit turned out really neat. Might want to get it a better stand later on, since the one it comes with doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

Also, strangely, it comes with parts to make it's own stand arm, instead of using the one from the default basic stand? Which is kind of weird.

Now I need to decide on what to work on next. Kind of thinking of starting the PG Exia, since it's been a loooooooong time since the last PG I've made. But I also still have a lot of other kits sitting around...
Old 02-25-2018, 04:41 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Thunderbolt looks great!

Android 18 up above is interesting. Her elbow joints seem a little weird to me, but everything else is fantastic, especially the faces. That's some hella impressive color separation.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:40 PM

A friend of mine bought the MG TB FA Gundam too. However, he also bought a p-bandai exclusive display stand specifically for this kit. It's basically a hanger-type stand, but has all of the armor on mechanical arms you can pose as if it's assembling the armor onto the Gundam. It looks pretty swank, and gets around how awkward/unwieldy this kit can be to pose normally. PG Exia would be pretty swank. All testimonials I've read is that it's an amazing building experience.

All the elbows I've seen on the DBZ kits are pretty wonky/toy-looking, but they're good compromises for what the kits are. The faces are really top notch on most of them. A cool thing to note too: the most recent kits that are coming out actually are coming with even more faces for the older kits. So the new Piccolo kit is coming with a different face/hair to swap with the teen-Gohan kit.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Objection!

Man, that stand sounds awesome. I'd love to get that for the Thunderbolt, for sure.

But yeah, let's do this. It's been a long time since I've made a PG, so this should be fun.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:53 PM
We just don't know.

Wow O:
Old 02-26-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
Man, that stand sounds awesome. I'd love to get that for the Thunderbolt, for sure.
It sure is, buddy.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:14 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Man. I honestly think I like the Thunderbolt best without all the arms and shields and whatnot.

I kind of feel this way about the other stuff in Thunderbolt, too.

Why you gotta be so extra, Thunderbolt?
Old 02-26-2018, 03:55 PM
Objection!

Man, if you want to see extra, you should look at the 00 XN Raiser, where the MG's back looks like a barely distinguishable pile of swords.

I'm probably going to build the XN Raiser after I'm done with the PG Exia.

Speaking of it, and stands, one thing I really like about PGs is the custom stands they tend to come with.

The one for the Exia even has a little arm on the rod that's meant to grab the GN Drive so you can pose the Exia mid-maintenance.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:03 PM

This is probably a discussion that's better for the regular Gundam thread, but I really like a lot of the design choices in TB. It's probably easy to dismiss it all as ridiculous excess, but I feel like a lot of the design decisions are informed by in-universe practicality. For example, shields in 0079 seem fairly practical, as they're frequently shown stopping what would have been kill-shots. And the White Base/EFSF seems to have an unlimited supply of them since they're always getting replaced after battles with no apparent resupplies. If that's the case, what's stopping anyone from upping the survival rate of mobile suits by giving them more shields?? Or all the little thruster bells everywhere. That's kinda how that would probably go IRL if you want your mobile suits to have any amount of maneuverability in 0-G. And slapping a bunch of rockets, fuel tanks, weapons, and armor to mobile suits is a time honored UC tradition. It kinda makes sense that people during the OYW would have figured that one out and not just later in the Universal Century.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:20 PM
We just don't know.

Ordered a Zaku Kai (labeled as being from 0083: Stardust Memory, but I think it's the 0080 one. Close enough, anyway), a Kampfer and a Z'gok.

The sickness is inside me
Old 02-27-2018, 03:49 PM
Objection!

Since it's been a while since I've done a really large build, I want to try and take more progress shots. In this one: I love that the instructions start with attaching things to the back-plate of the chest, which already has a hook so you can just hang the kit off of the stand right away.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
The sickness is inside me
Oh, this delights me inside. And it will delight you too when you finally give in and realize how much FUN you're having!

Holy shit that inner-frame looks like seexxxxxxxx
Old 02-27-2018, 05:24 PM

I got in and made the MG ZZ Gundam Ver Ka not long ago. The ZZ is hands down my favorite Gundam from the Universal Century. As a kit, it's actually incredible. Maybe even the best kit I've ever made from a building experience/end product perpsective. I did a pretty standard OOB build, only panel lining and adding a few details here and there. My kit came with premium waterslide decals, but most of them are pretty superfluous and are typical exercises in Katoki excess. I think it looks great though. I also built the original MG ZZ, so I'll make sure to provide some comparison pics. Here's the ZZ's core fighter, and I'll spoilerpop comparison pics. Click on the image if you wanna see it bigger:

Big upgrade in detail and color separation. I did a little bit of painting on the core fighter to make it more anime-accurate, but not nearly as much color separation issues as the original MG had. It's also nice that this new ZZ comes with two full core fighters. The original only came with one, and a second core block that was just a solid piece to hide on the inside of your robot-mode ZZ Gundam.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:51 PM
Objection!

Today's progress: Leg Day.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:37 PM
Objection!

Didn't want to be just spamming up the thread, so here's the last few days worth of progress:

Old 03-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Objection!

And today I finished up the PG Exia. That was a really fun build. I loved that it was very clean and simple, even with the added possible complexity of the PG scale. One thing I really like about PGs is that they reinforce the idea that these things are MACHINES, with the way they have armour PLATES instead of armour PARTS, like most gunpla does. So armour layers or doesn't come all that flush, like it would if it was a real machine.

God, now that I have a PG Exia and a PG 00 Raiser, I just want a PG Qan[T] in order to complete the set.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXt-ap-VQAE5w4p.jpg[img]

I decided to pose it to represent the climactic finale of season 2, even though this is a PG Exia and not a PG Exia Repair 2, and thus it doesn't have the right GN Sword. Also had to reinforce the shoulder since the GN Sword is HEAVY, and the arm couldn't hold it up at this angle. Still, I think it's an incredible look, and I'm really happy to have built this kit.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:13 PM
We just don't know.

I saw in another thread that Bandai was doing HG model kits of Pacific Rim Jaegers for Uprising. Did they do that for the first Pacific Rim? And if so, is there anywhere one could get those kits for something resembling a reasonable price?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:04 PM

To my knowledge, no Paul. Bandai only did it for this film. There is a few model kits made by GoodSmile's plastic model kit line Plamax. They're bigger and more complicated (they're more on the level of a Master Grade, versus the Bandai High Grades) but they're also inordinately more expensive ($80+shipping range versus the Bandai HGs that are in the $20 range).

I also can't guarantee stock of these will be readily available either.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:31 PM
We just don't know.

From a little while ago, but here's a bit of my Zaku II Kai build. I really liked this build; it had more neat parts to its construction and bibs and bobs to its design.

I also got some markers and lined my earlier Char's Zaku and Gundam. For this one, I lined as I went along. I feel like I might have gone overboard with the markers in some locations, but I dunno. What do you guys think?
Old 04-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

That's a nice Zaku! I also tend to just panel-line every dang thing once I get the markers out...

And Umbaglo's finished perfect grade Exia up above is pretty fantastic too.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:35 PM

Agreed, looks really well done, Paul!

Hope to see what you make next, Umbaglo. PG Exia turned out very swank
Old 04-11-2018, 01:12 PM
We just don't know.

The Zaku build was a while ago and I just never uploaded pictures, but I just finished this Z'gok build last night!

It ended up being faster and simpler than some of (or any of?) the others I've done, but it had a lot of cool parts. The claws on the hands, the segmented arm & leg pieces, and the upper body shape were all pretty cool (also the double-jointed feet). It could have used a few more colors, I suppose, but it turned out neat. I screwed up the big sticker on the cockpit front and center and it got a bit torn. But I do like all the shiny red detail stickers it has on the body exhausts and arms, it gives the model a bit of flash and color.

Kaempfer is up next, though I might take a bit of break before I dive in. I might pick up one (or two) (or all three...) of the Pacific Rim Uprising models. The designs are not nearly as good as the first movie, but they still look like cool/detailed builds. After that... I honestly don't think I'll get any more of these? At least, not yet. I do have the Zeta series sitting around waiting to be watched, and if I find some cool MS designs there...
Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 PM
Objection!

Hey, on the earlier subject of Guncannons, I decided to pick up this weird little thing: The Re/100 Guncannon Detector.

I mainly got it because I thought it was a neat thing to come out of the Re/100 line. Stuff like this is what I really like about the line, and am happy that it's continuing. It's kind of flimsy, though. A lot of empty space in the kit and parts that just kind of hang on there without a lot of support, but that seems to be because it's such a fat mobile suit. I imagine that if this was a MG it would be a little more filled out, and probably a touch sturdier. Still, I liked the design and it was a short little build.

Also it came with a weapon meant for the Bandai Premium MG Desert Nemo, which is kind of goofy.

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack