????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Man this party building is goofy.
So you're saying it's a cow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammanmi View Post
Grave robber! No wonder Anna gets violent...
She's in an RPG. If she didn't want her grave to be robbed then she shouldn't have died in the first place.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:34 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any
Default part 1/7

Chapter 14: The Crystals Shed Their Light

Welcome back! It's time to head off to the Moon!

Here's how our party stands right now; Tellah's slowly accumulating more MP; won't be too long before he surpasses his original limit of 90.

We're gonna start off with a look at Hummingway Cave. There's not much here.

This is the only Hummingway that says words. There's a stair behind him, but he isn't budging, so forget it. The original game would have one of them set up a shop here, but they seem to have been taken out.

With that covered, let's go to the Lunar Path!

I don't remember if these chests were trapped before, but they are now. Our reward here is the Apollo Harp for Edward. It's not as powerful as the Blood Harp, but it doesn't sap stats, it's Fire type, and it slays Dragons, the last of which is going to be real useful soon.

Identical trap chests get us the Murasame Katana and Holy Lance...they can't all be winners?

The second half of the Lunar Path has no treasure chests.

We're in front of the Lunar's Lair before too long.

The healing tiles work as always.

Now, if you're playing along at home, then before going any further, save your game. This is the last point of the game where I have to be careful or get a game over.

With that done, we proceed inward...

Golbez warps into the room.

Quote:
Cecil: Golbez!

Golbez: The same. Who knew
the moon would have its
own set of eight crystals
as well. Now that I have

collected them all, the
power of the cosmos is at
my command!

Golbez: BEHOLD!

Golbez revives all eight of his Fiends before us!

Quote:
Cecil: The fiends of the
elements!

Scarmilione[sic]: Hiss...

Cagnazzo: That's us!

Rubicante: You have taught
me the value of teamwork.
I will restore your
strength...

Quote:
Rubicante: Fight with all
your might!

Did you think we were getting out of a Fiend boss rush? Think again!

The fiend order: Scarmiglione -> Rubicante -> Ciriatto -> Draghignazzo -> Cagnazzo -> Barbariccia -> Alichino -> Malacoda

Make no mistakes: this fight is rough. Scarmiglione uses Quake and Petrify, Rubicante uses AoE Fire spells, from 2 to 3 to Glare, Ciriatto can and will use Angel Song, Draghignazzo likes Holy and Comet. Cagnazzo is actually a bit of a breather, only using four Fights and then a Big Wave (which does percentile damage). If you let Barbariccia live long enough, she'll cast Storm, which does the same thing as Angel Song. Alichino will open with Reflect; be careful about this one. Since the Fiends technically count as a single enemy (...ish), the Reflect will still be there when Malacoda tags in. Alichino will also use Blk.Hole, removing any buffs I've applied. Malacoda will use about fifty different Bolt spells, with Magnet and Globe 199 peppered in there every now and then.

Like I said. This fight is not kind. My first attempt ends as shown.

I could grind. That would be boring, though, so instead I opt to rethink my strategy. Rubicante's attacks aren't very threatening; Regen takes out almost all of their bite. I can use that time to set up Haste, Blink, and so on. The Fiends are comprised of two separate 'entities', splitting between Draghignazzo and Cagnazzo, so I have to remember to reapply Slow after I pass that point. Magic Song is nice, but it's also slow, so I shift in favor of Ethers instead.

The second time through, I discover a weird bug where Dispel completely screws up the transformations. I take what I can get to avoid Malacoda, anyway.

Without seeing a single Globe199 this time, the Fiends die again.

Golbez summons his Shadow Dragon to fight us!

But Kain Jumps in from above, defeating it in a single blow!

Quote:
Kain: I've been waiting
for the opportunity to
take out that cursed
Shadow Dragon!

Now's your chance...

And Kain Jumps out, his mission done.

(To preempt the question: Yes, if Kain was in your party, you would have to fight the Shadow Dragon as a boss.)
Old 01-22-2018, 11:36 PM
earthquake ace

Default part 2/7

It's finally time to fight the big man himself!

Hilariously, for the first third of his HP, Golbez only fights with counters. You can just sit here and heal and buff until you're ready to fight. He also only counters Fire/Ice/Bolt magic and Fight, so if you have alternative ways of damage, he won't stop you.

I don't really bother with buffing too much, though, since it's not that necessary. Once you get Golbez started, he alternates between Fight and DarkHoly/DarkWave/AoE Bio/Death, while still countering as above.

Did I say 'DarkHoly'? I meant 'also Death'. DarkWave is about 700 to everyone, which will kill Tellah every time.

I ran out of Phoenix Downs... Let's try that again.

Better...I think. Cid's berserk here, so if he hadn't killed Golbez with that shot, he would've gotten killed on the counter.

Plop.

Quote:
Golbez: No... Stop...
Grant me mercy, I beg of
you...

Cecil: You, who are
without mercy, now plead
for it!?

Golbez: Wait, You don't
understand! In my lust
for power... I...

I awakened an unspeakable
evil spirit... too powerful
to control...

It waits in the moon's
core and seeks to destroy
the Earth...
oh whoops this isn't the blue planet, this is actually earth, okay

Quote:
It feeds on hatred and
violence. If you kill me
in revenge, it will
become even stronger...

It will gain the power it
needs to release itself
from the confines of the
moon... Please, Cecil...

Quote:
Golbez: The crystals are
under your control now...
I have no monsters, no
airships, no followers...

My life is in your hands.
Do with me as you will...
Cecil takes a moment to think about this.

Quote:
Cecil: Killing you will
accomplish nothing. We
will take care of the
evil spirit.

Return to Earth and see
the Elder of Mysidia. He
will decide your fate.

Golbez: Thank you for
sparing my life. I
promise, you will not
regret it.

And with that, Golbez walks away... and we have an evil spirit to kill!

If you try to leave...

Nope, we go one way, and that's forward!

In the next room are the eight Crystals of the Moon, as well as the entrance to the final dungeon, the Lunar Subterrane.

Aww, I wanted to fight the Fiend of Singularity...

With the crystals examined, it's time to descend into the Lunar Subterrane!

The screen flashes eight different colors, one for each crystal I suppose.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:39 PM
earthquake ace

Default part 3/7

And we warp to the Lunar Subterrane! As it was when we broke our way here, Cecil is standing on a save point, not an out warp.

The white Hummingway runs a shop if you need to stock up on anything. I buy a bunch of Phoenix Downs and other supplies, then start exploring.

Some chests are trapped, and this encounter here isn't so bad. It holds the Seraphim Staff, which will give Tellah a decent boost to WIL for his healing. He also reaches level 34 in this fight and has 92 max MP; he's finally better than in the base game.

We travel further along this path, ending with...a shining thing on a pedestal?

It's Pale Dim, this time guarding a...breastplate? instead of the Masamune. Or was it the Muramasa? One of those.

Anyway, Pale Dim has changed exactly not at all. It's weak to Dark, so Bio is fun here, as are any Dark Swords. But really, all he does is punch you and counter attacks with Slow. All that Dragon Armor you got from Bahamut's Lair will cut his damage massively; he was tapping Cid and Cecil for 1 half the time.

Honestly, that trapped chest above was harder.

Our reward for victory is the Hades Mail! Take a wild guess who can equip it. It gives 40 defense, guards against Holy, and protects against Spirits. I don't think there are any Spirit enemies in this dungeon, though, so *shrug*. It also gives a bit of WIS, if you want Cecil to cast magic more.

On our way back, Tellah hits level 35, and his MP shoots up to 101. I can actually cast Meteo now!

A trapped chest with two RedGiants contains the Thief Gloves. Any non-Heavy Armor user can wear them, and they have a massive AGI bonus of 15. I send them Edward's way so he can sing more.

That covers both of the side paths on the first floor, so now it's time to explore the main route of the Subterrane.

On B2, we find the Masamune. Worthless garbage for us. We also find another Dragon Shield. On B3, we find the rest of a full set of Dragon Armor. I replace the rest of Cid's and Cecil's slots with those, except for leaving the Aegis Shield on Cecil for Petrify and KO resist.

Most of B4 has marginal treasure like X-Potions. It's also where dragons start to show up; namely the Gold D., Silver D., D. Bone, and D. Fossil enemies. Even with the Apollo Harp, they simply aren't worth the EXP to fight.

The end of the floor, though, has this chest with a Behemoth, which is hilarious given Image Song. It drops the Stardust Rod, which Tellah can equip to power Black magic. He can swap between it and the Seraphim Staff as needed.

B5 has this chest guarded by a Red D. and Blue D., which are a pain in the butt to fight. The reward for defeating them is the Rune Axe. Slightly weaker than Cid's Thor Hammer, but one-handed and has mage-slaying properties. Handy for the Warlocks around here.

The next chest is untrapped and has the Mirage Robe. It provides huge Evasion and a decent AGI buff; I hand it to Yang since he's still in Judo Clothes.

Another chest is trapped with two Red D.s; they use Heat Ray when they're alone, so try to kill them at around the same time. The reward here is the Firey[sic] Hammer, which hits even harder than the Thor Hammer.

Next, a chest with a Lords Robe, which is like a Black and White Robe put together, plus an AGI buff. It goes on Tellah immediately. There's also another Behemoth chest, this time with the Loki Harp. The Loki Harp does slaying damage against every single racial flag, making the Apollo Harp obsolete.

At level 41, Tellah's MP hits 216. He doesn't really need Edward as a battery anymore. It took him 15 levels to go from 45 MP to 102, but only 6 more to double it. Tellah's MP growth is now bordering on 'obscene', getting about 30 MP every level. This will continue until the mid-60s, when he finally reaches 999 MP. No one hits 999 MP other than Tellah. The twins will be just shy of 800 at level 99 (over 30 levels after Tellah hits 999), and Rydia might barely break 900, but none of the half-mages get any kind of reasonable MP growth.

A trapped chest with a Warlock and D. Fossil holds the Strength Gauntlet. You get no poins for guessing what it boosts. I give it to Yang.

This room, at the end of 5F, has a Cabin. It also has the fabled PinkPuff monsters. They don't drop the Pink Tail, though, since there's nowhere to redeem it. Instead, they drop the Hero Ring. It's a Ring item, so only light-armor users can equip it (Rydia, Tellah, Edward, Rosa, the twins). It gives 20 Defense and Magic Defense (pretty good), 40 Magic Evade (what), allows absorption of every single element (whaaaaaat), and increases every stat by 15 (uhhhh). It's absolutely broken.

However, it's still just as rare as the Pink Tail. How rare is that? First, there is a 4/256 chance of finding the PinkPuff encounter. In this encounter, there are five PinkPuffs. Each one has a 5/98 chance of dropping something. This something has a 1/64 chance of being the Hero Ring. To condense that, each PinkPuff has about a 0.08% chance of dropping the Hero Ring. Since there are five, we do some exponential math: 1 - (1 - 0.0008)^5, which gets us about 0.4%. Now multiply that by the original chance of finding the encounter, and I round the chances of you successfully getting it to about 1/16000.

Don't farm PinkPuffs.

Hilariously, right after I finished typing that out, I got into an encounter that includes a RedGiant.

Why yes, that is the RedGiant's 1/64 drop, why do you ask?

On B6, I find a Protect Ring. It's not quite as good as the aformentioned Hero Ring, but it's got decent defenses and guards against the classical elements, so it's good enough for Tellah. A path that leads to another part of B5 has a Behemoth chest with an Artemis Bow. Good for Rosa, not for us.

It also leads to a save point and...this thing.

The Wyvern is the same as usual, opening with Mega Flare.

It's not pretty. After that, he Reflects himself and starts bouncing Flares off. It takes a while for me to stabilize, but as long as one person lives, it's not too hard to come back.

And Wyvern doesn't have too much HP, at least.

For this, we get the Deathbringer for Cecil. It's by far his strongest sword, potentially inflicting instant death with any attack. It also boosts all of Cecil's stats other than WIL by 15.

Just as satisfying as it was with Zuus~

I forgot to mention it, but at level 49, Edward learned Angel Song. Yes, the same one Ciriatto uses. Unlike Ciriatto, though, Edward takes forever to sing it; not quite as long as Meteo, but long enough. It's really not that useful, since anything that the Deathbringer can't kill, Angel Song won't touch.

Another Behemoth chest (the game really likes these) gets us a Dragon Lance, which is completely worthless. But with that, we reach B7, which has fun bosses. There's a save point at the start of the floor, it's pretty useful.

We're going to skip the first boss for a moment and go to the second.

The D. Lunars guard the Hades Gauntlet and the Ribbons. Once they're damaged, they'll Reflect each other, then start casting Ice-3 on each other. After about three or four Ice-3 volleys, Reflect will wear off, but they'll still keep freezing each other. Once one is alone, their tactics change.

The easy way to do this fight is to tank the Ice-3s until Reflect wears off, let them kill each other, then finish off whoever survives.

Easy.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:41 PM
earthquake ace

Default part 4/7

Anybody can equip the Ribbons. Decently high defenses, protects against every status effect except Berserk and Float, and even gives 5 points to every stat. I hand them to the back row.

Going back to the other room, we have Plague. In the base game, he used Count to give everybody the Doom status, then screwed around until you died. Here...

...he spams Calcify every turn. Cecil is immune on account of the Aegis Shield, and the back row is immune on account of Ribbons. Why yes, this means I can't actually lose here, it's great.

Even so, I manage to kill it before Cid and Yang are completely stoned (despite how it looks, they can still act).

This gets me the Hades Helm for Cecil. With this, I have to switch off his Aegis Shield for good because the elemental resists from the Dragon Shield are more important.

B8 is the beginning of the Lunar Core. We're almost at the end now! Battles down here are a pain in the butt to run from. EvilMasks Reflect themselves then bounce spells off; a Dispel solves them quite nicely. They're also robots, so Cid crushing them for 8000+ damage a swing certainly helps, too.

This floor has another Protect Ring, which would be useful if the Loki Harp wasn't two-handed. As it is, it gathers dust.

We have one more piece of Hades gear to acquire before the end, and guarding it is Ogopogo!

He starts off with doublecasting Big Wave, which will take off half of everyone's max HP. He just follows up with Fights and occasional Big Waves after that.

By this point, your party's basically fully-equipped and leveled, though, so you should be able to handle most anything the game throws your way.

I forgot to get a picture of the Hades Shield, so just imagine it here.

Down on B9, there's a chest with another Mirage Robe, which I give to Edward. He's now my fastest character by far. On B10, there's another Lords Robe and Strength Gauntlet, neither of which I really need.

Also on B10 is this save point, which wasn't there in the original.

B11 has the Breath and Mind enemies. Breath is all but immune to magic, while Mind is all but immune to physical. Breath isn't very dangerous, but Mind will cast Comet, so try to run from that one. Or run from both, you probably don't need EXP anymore.

B11 is otherwise long and empty...

Here on B12...it's time for the end.

Quote:
Cecil: I won't let you
destroy the Earth!

Zeromus: HA HA HA!
Good luck, Earthling!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 PM
earthquake ace

Default part 5/7

Our final boss is...a hairball? Well, let's take a swing and--

Well that wasn't very effective. Let's try a spell.

Decidedly less so. All of my attacks do no more than 1 damage when they aren't outright absorbed.

Well that's unfortunate. If only you guys had let me class change Cecil, we wouldn't be in this mess. Now what are we gonna do?

Seems like the answer is 'die'.

Quote:
Now it's your turn...
Come into my darkness!
Just then, someone walks in from behind--what

what

The person heals us...

That's... Golbez?????????

Quote:
Cecil: ...

Golbez!?...

Golbez: I climbed Mount
Ordeals and purged myself
of the darkness that was
in my heart.

My light has made Zeromus
temporarly vulnerable...
Go, Cecil!
Destroy this evil!

Well that's...

...never mind that right now. We've got a final boss to fight! Zeromus isn't very tricky, honestly. He counters magic with Flare, so watch out for that. Otherwise, he just tosses out a Big Bang every now and then, peppered with the occasional Blk.Hole.

I am terrified. This is my terrified face.

The fight goes back and forth, he Big Bangs, I Cure4, sometimes the Big Bangs hit for high damage variance and knock out Tellah or Edward, so I have to Phoenix Down them.

Then this happens. I'm pretty sure this is new to UC. It's actually kind of hilarious. After that, Cecil and co. were swinging for about 4000 a hit. After just one round of those from those three...

...Zeromus is defeated.

Quote:
As long as there is evil
in people's hearts... I
will live on...

The more wars you wage,
the more power you seek,
the more grudges you
hold on to...

The more monsters will
appear, the more tame
creatures will become
vicious...

and the more power I will
gain... until I can take
physical form once more!

Until then...

... ...farewell!

Zeromus finally stops talking long enough to fade away forever. Which just leaves us with...Golbez.

Quote:
Cid: ...Zeromus' last
words just now...

Yang: I think he means
that until humans learn
to forgive and forget,
he will live on somehow.

Tellah: My obsession with
revenge didn't bring back
Anna, and only fed this
monster's power.

Edward: We have to bring
this lesson to the people
of Earth so that this
disaster is not repeated.

Cecil: It is done...

Cecil: Golbez...

Thank you for your help.

Golbez: It doesn't make up
for everything I've put
you through... put everyone
on Earth through...

Cecil: Golbez...

Cecil: ...

I forgive you...
Aaaand fade to black. Time for the ending!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:44 PM
earthquake ace

Default part 6/7

We've got a Star Wars scrolling here, and to save you the headache, I'll transcribe the whole thing.

Quote:
Zeromus has been
defeated and peace
prevails, at least
for now.
Fear, anger, hatred,
war, ambition, greed...
These lead one into
darkness.
Patience, love, peace,
charity, hope, grace...
These lead one into
light.
In the wake of the
destruction, the Earth
rebuilds...

Cecil brings the Elder and King Santos to see the twins, the latter of which is able to cure them.

Kain continues to train with Bahamut...

Tellah and Edward rebuild Damcyan, with Anna watching over them.

Yang trains with Rydia's Titan. The ensuing 'practice' battle reopens the pass from Mist to Kaipo.

Edge takes over the rule of Eblan...but, surprise, he's still as horny as ever.

Rosa is pacing around in the room before Baron's Throne Room. Is she waiting for something?
Old 01-22-2018, 11:48 PM
earthquake ace

Default part 7/7

Cid's still tinkering on airships as Baigan takes his first flight as Captain of the Red Wings.

Rydia, Cecil, and Baigan are in the throne room as Yang and Edge come and greet them.

Palom comes in to cause a ruckus, first by sitting on the throne, then when Porom bonks him, he goes to flirt with Rydia.

Tellah and Edward say their greetings, then Cid comes in and greets the three, being the first person to acknowledge Baigan.

Then Rosa enters, and the screen centers on her as she takes each individual step upward, to Cecil.

The rest of the world dims as they gaze at each other...

Yes; Toroia's, Fabul's, and Damcyan's crystal chambers are identical.

Golbez hand-delivers each crystal back to its proper place.

And with that, Final Fantasy IV: Unprecedented Crisis comes to an end!

Next time...next time? Yes, there's a next time; we aren't done yet! Next time, we see what we missed; specifically, we find out what happens when Cecil becomes a paladin, among other things! Please look forward to it!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:28 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

hey guys what's up in this thread
Old 01-23-2018, 06:10 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

this game is so weird.

turtle is it fun at least

is it at least fun
Old 01-23-2018, 06:26 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

I mean I guess it makes sense that P-Golbez looks identical to P-Cecil, but it still rankles just a bit

(especially since Big G never bothered mentioning they were brothers, but maybe that happens in another path)

I feel like this game really starts getting interesting when the Lunar Whale shows up. Confirm/deny?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:35 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post

Golbez revives all eight of his Fiends before us!
They couldn't be bothered to recolour the ice guy to be white? It really stands out here next to the other recolours.

Quote:
I manage to kill it before Cid and Yang are completely stoned.
Buzz-kill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I mean I guess it makes sense that P-Golbez looks identical to P-Cecil, but it still rankles just a bit
Just wait until his sprite makes out with Rosa.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:18 AM
earthquake ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
this game is so weird.

turtle is it fun at least

is it at least fun
It's at least as fun as FF4!
Old 01-23-2018, 09:44 AM
Not much of a donkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post

(especially since Big G never bothered mentioning they were brothers, but maybe that happens in another path)
Hmm, in this version Golbez actually beats you to the moon. Since FuSoYa didn't even show up, Golbez presumably killed him before taking the moon's crystals. So with FuSoYa dead, maybe Cecil and Golbez never learned they were brothers.

I guess this game having an actual confrontation and final battle with Golbez, which the base game notably lacks, is a worthwhile addition but it leaves Zeromus feeling even more out of place than before.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:47 AM
earthquake ace

Honestly if I had any complaint about the ending here, it's that, in the time it takes you to go through the Lunar Subterrane and poke at hairball Zeromus a bit, Golbez returns to Earth, is sentenced to Mount Ordeals by the Elder, climbs Mount Ordeals, becomes a paladin, then goes back to the Moon, gets all the way through the Subterrane, and somehow comes in from behind Zeromus.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:52 AM

Even though it isn't completely over, this has been a great LP turtle! Your hard work throughout is commendable. I'm also impressed how well you knew all these little facts about the bosses and how romhack works in general.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:00 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
It's at least as fun as FF4!
Refighting eight Fiends in a row sounds like the opposite of fun.

If there's a Crystal of Infinity why do we even need the other Crystals
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Honestly if I had any complaint about the ending here, it's that, in the time it takes you to go through the Lunar Subterrane and poke at hairball Zeromus a bit, Golbez returns to Earth, is sentenced to Mount Ordeals by the Elder, climbs Mount Ordeals, becomes a paladin, then goes back to the Moon, gets all the way through the Subterrane, and somehow comes in from behind Zeromus.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
You don't build an entire subterranean labyrinth without giving yourself a key to the express elevator.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:52 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

In this ROM, the graphics for FuSoYa and adult Rydia are hanging out in the Wacky Beach Episode. Er, that would be creepy wouldn't it?

Turtle, if you're going through the trouble of going back to get Paladin Cecil and redo the Moon, would it be terrible of me to ask you to make all five characters different than the ones here? I'd like to see how they all play and talk in the endgame.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:01 PM
earthquake ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Turtle, if you're going through the trouble of going back to get Paladin Cecil and redo the Moon, would it be terrible of me to ask you to make all five characters different than the ones here? I'd like to see how they all play and talk in the endgame.
Already planning on it, don't worry.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:06 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

So once you swap characters, are they swapped forever?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:09 PM
earthquake ace

Yes. Short of a save point before doing that sidequest, you're stuck with your decisions.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Which is fine for, like, Edward -- you know what you're getting into there -- but bad news if you decide to check out Bahamut's Cave or the Serpent Road on a lark.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:45 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Earlier in this LP, when this game hadn't done anything really dumb yet, I wondered if this ROM hack might provide clues to how The After Years could have been done differently to be a good game and not just a cheap nostalgia fix. It seemed especially relevant since After Years was an official product while UC is amateur. But the back half of this version feels pretty After Years-y so maybe it doesn't rise to that challenge.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:02 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

The game is very much a demo reel. I doubt the hacker(s) put much thought into the script at all.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:22 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

I'm late to the party but I just want to say that Turtle is fuckin killing it awesome work dude.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:36 AM
Not much of a donkey

I actually kind of...like The After Years?

Don't get me wrong, some of it is so stupid it is literally painful but there was some decent stuff in there worth exploring.

-Kain continuing to struggle with accepting his darkness
-Cecil's son not wanting to be a Paladin, wants to be a Dragoon instead, not sure how to tell his dad
-Palom wants to be a Sage and encounters frustrations
-Edge grows from a hothead into a wise king
-Edward growing from spoony bard into incomparable badass.

I think most of those are pretty decent stories? Given a less absolutely shameless treatment and it could have been pretty good.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:43 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

I played the Wii port of TAY and mostly enjoyed the chapters, but never finished the final godawful long dungeon. Honestly my least favorite part if TAY was the moon system. The fan-fic stuff was dumb but fun. I need to pick it up for my PSTV at some point
Old 01-24-2018, 06:53 AM
Funko Superfan

I'm the opposite, I find TAY to be the worst slog but boy does it sing in the final dungeon. 800 characters to choose from and all sorts of cool interesting challenges. Phantom train fight is way better pandering than "it's Baron Waterway again"

Tags
bonk! , fiend of esuna , fiend of snul , final fantasy iv , gillionaire , let's play , penalty for being bard , red dwarf , romhack , the laughter years