The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 04-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Bug/Flying

Default Let's Play Sandbox and Critique Thread

I figure we could use a thread like this since we don't really have a place for formal critique in the subforum. Anyway, this thread is more along the lines of stylistic help rather than technical, so if you want to try a test post to work out the kinks in your Let's Play, or just want a solid critique on a thread that's already running, feel free to post here and ask for comments. Just remember to keep it polite, and roll with the punches if the criticism isn't entirely positive.

Last edited by PapillonReel; 05-15-2011 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

Hey! I wanted to let everyone know that I made a workaround for that whole 'left-aligned centering' thing I was trying to do. For example:

Ramza: Why...?

Delita's name appears for
the first time a year before
the Lion War broke out.

Many soldiers who returned from the war,
had no jobs, little money,
and even less loyalty to the crown.

Many became thieves and
rebels plotting rebellion
against the royal family.

At that time robbery and
murder were commonplace in Ivalice.
Many heroes and
wizards came out of there.
And Gariland was no exception either.

(Scene: A group of students are gathered in an meeting
hall, gossiping to each other about the latest news. A
young Ramza and Delita are among them. They are the
future members of the Hokuten Knights.)

Cadet: Must have been the Death Corps...
Of course it's still not a PERFECT solution; the centered italicized stuff from the second graph will look very strange on a resolution that isn't 1024x768. The rest should look fine tho.

Anyway, in case anyone wants to know how to do it (and is too lazy to quote my post to find out), you can use the [/indent]code to do it.

I also wanted to mention that while I did get a few people asking for larger screenshots, I think I'm going to stick to the 400x300 size you see above. I think it just looks the best stylistically.

Can't wait for my chance to jump in the queue!

- Eddie
Old 04-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Re: swearing in videos.

Personally, I think it's tacky. I've seen a couple LPs where cuss words are just a natural part of the player's dialogue and so it fits just fine, but the majority use bad words for giggles or because they can't think of anything else to say. I've seen way too many videos that replace "um" with "fuckin'". Observe:

"I just... fuckin'... was trying to get that fuckin'... that power-up and fuckin'... a fish jumps out of fuckin' NOWHERE and fuckin' knocks me in the hole. Fuck! That kind of shit... fuckin'... fuckin' pisses me off."

Aside from that, though, I always envision some kid finding one of my videos on YouTube and thinking it's funny and then showing it to their parents. That has probably never happened ever but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside thinking about it.

For my part, I believe willing myself to keep the language clean forces me to focus more on what I'm saying, so not only do I not have a potty mouth but I really feel like I ramble less and have less worthless dead air. (I'm probably completely wrong about that though.)
Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Well I like peanut butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Re: swearing in videos.
Agreed on all points. You can be so much more verbose and interesting when you're trying to avoid it.
Hey, it works for me.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Banned

Re: Soul Blazer

I think the general nature of the game leaves little room for audience participation. I am truly enjoying Soul Blazer so don't get discouraged. I personally would like to hear a bit more on why SB is a special game to you as you go through it.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 AM
Bug/Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Final Fantasy Tactics
I like what you're planning for the game, but you should just drop the centering entirely, honestly. No one really cares if the text stretches past the edge of the screenshot, so the extra formatting just looks weird compared to the standard left-align text, to say nothing of the wasted effort you'd have to go through with each write-up in the first place. There's really nothing to be gained from the formatting, so don't worry about how it looks when written up normally.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I have a problem with my Escape Velocity LP in that I really don't feel I'm doing the game justice. The magic - or at least the initial attraction - of it is largely in the action, but that's next to impossible to convey in still images. Gifs could help with that, but combat tends to be either a boring negligible cakewalk or a thrilling seat-of-your-pants adventure, and during the latter I can't spare the fingers to hit the screenshot button (my keyboard can only handle three keys being pressed at one time; working the thrusters takes up two keys leaving only one key for combat controls and screenshots, which isn't enough by a long shot).

The bottom line of all this is that while I'm weaving between railgun shots and outwitting missile tracking systems while fighting off pirates and everyone else, my loyal readers are only getting boring walls of text. I've been trying to figure out a way improve on this, but the best solution I've come up with so far is to somehow take video of combat and post it to youtube with annotations dart_zaidyer-style (assuming youtube videos can show enough detail to let people know what's going on).

I could set irfanview to automatically take screenshots and make a lot of animated gifs, but I'd have to be willing to either let it take a thousand or two useless pictures each session or constantly switch it between auto and manual screenshotting, neither of which is an especially exciting prospect (if there was a key command to toggle that without having to open up irfanview, that would be gravy; haven't found one yet though). I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Media Sellout

Pronouns: He him

I have no problem with swearing in videos, in general, but I don't like it when "Fuck" is used every other word. But I feel the same way about people saying "like" over and over again, so it has less to do with saying fuck and more to do with speaking well. Not everyone can do live commentary. If you need to, take the time to write down what you want to say first, or just record dialogue later.

I really like the videos. Brick's doing a great job with his high-speed demonstrations. I only kind of wish you would do a running thread like with the Ocarina of Time LP (though that is hybrid, not all video.). It would be fun to be able to follow along and talk about it between videos (though I know that wouldn't work with a lot of the stuff you are doing high-speed). Just an idea. There are LPs that are meant to show off and there are LPs that are meant to be a discussion, so maybe there's something you can do on video that we can discuss along the way.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
so exciting!

Hey, this is unsolicited, but its kinda open to everyone because I've noticed it in a bunch of places:

At the end of an update, could you guys put some sort of conclusion? Just a little something to let the readers know the update is over. A lot of times they just sorta end and it's hard to discern if its just a post break because of image/character limit or if you're done with the update.

I'm not asking for a whole lot, just a little "Next Time: WACKY THINGS HAPPEN" or "To be continued..."

Also: Criticism is welcome on either I've done, so I'll know what not to do when I finally start a new one. Commenting on the quality of the translation in the Persona LP isn't that helpful, since I clearly bit off more than I could chew and vastly underestimated the difference between understanding and translating.

Last edited by Pajaro Pete; 06-08-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

I'm thinking that my FFT thread might need some spice added to the mixture. I know lots of people are reading the thing, but hardly anyone is commenting these days! I know this is probably a result of some measures I took to save myself time, but now I long for the days when people used to bicker in my thread. I miss the conflict.

Any suggestions?

- Eddie
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM

That's easy. Make statements based on opinion as if they were fact. Doesn't even have to be a real opinion! Just say that behemoths are the best monster or something, someone will glom onto it and start a "debate." You want conflict? Stir it up yourself!
May not actually be good advice.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 AM
mellow dramatic

Quote:
I'm thinking that my FFT thread might need some spice added to the mixture. I know lots of people are reading the thing, but hardly anyone is commenting these days!
I don't know that there's much to say right now. I feel that, between the gameplay and the plot, Chapter 2 is the game's lowest point. Maybe your thread will pick up again when the game does?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

Quote:
Any suggestions?

- Eddie
Actually, I been trying to restrain myself from posting too much and clogging up the thread with irrelevant chat. Also, sometimes (like right now), I don't post because I'm not sure if you're working on doing a new post right after your existing one, the look better without extra junk between them. Keep it up man, it's the best thread on TT (of course FFT is my favroite game of all time, but you do it justice)!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Actually, I been trying to restrain myself from posting too much and clogging up the thread with irrelevant chat.
This. I tend not to post much in the LPs I keep up with as it is, but the FFT thread in particular is so well-presented I can't imagine improving it with chatter.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Entourage of Her Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
I don't post because I'm not sure if you're working on doing a new post right after your existing one, the look better without extra junk between them.
If you see "to be continued" at the end of a post, that is my signal that my latest update has ended, so post away!

I guess I'm going to have to take Lucas's advice then.

SO GUYS: BARD: BEST CLASS, OR GREATEST CLASS?

- Eddie

p.s. I don't mind irrelevant chat, it keeps having to load several updates on one page.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:03 PM

I annotated my EV Nova test video on youtube. Too much of an info dump?

Obviously I can't switch entirely to a video LP and use annotations for the whole thing (or can I?); I'm trying to figure out a way to use mainly the video but explain strategies and the like in more depth on the forum. "More info" annotations that link back to TT, maybe?

Were people actually enjoying the narrative portion of the LP? It's tempting to just drop that entirely.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 AM
Entourage of Her Grace

I think the annotations are really helpful, but if you can't get your own voice in there you should at least throw in some sort of music. Sound effects would be really helpful if you can manage em.

- Eddie
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I'm interested in possibly taking my Wario Land Let's Play in a different direction when I get back to it, probably of the video kind. What's the best format to record them in, and how do I apply those 'lil pop-up notes over the video?

I'm also interested in feedback on the two updates I've done so far. I think I might've gone a bit overboard with the Strong Bad-like Wario dialogue and using a ton of pictures for single levels.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

Hey I loved the two Wario updates. They were fun and interesting to read. I think Wario and Strong Bad have pretty much the same character anyway so I was okay with the portrayal.

Cutting back a bit on the comments and pictures and making it a lighter LP would probably be just fine.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Espurrs are proud.

So I've claimed Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky, and I'm looking for species and name recommendations for my partner character. The ones available to me as a male Mudkip are:

Male Turtwig
Male Chimchar
Female Eevee
Male Shinx
Male Riolu
Male Phanpy

Last edited by Lilfut; 07-09-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:09 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Shinx is pretty badass.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Terrestrial Commuter

Pronouns: he/him/his

Uh... female Eevee.

Last edited by Soren Highwind; 07-10-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I have a Plan

As before, my vote is for a Turtwig.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Espurrs are proud.

HERP A DERP I FORGOT HOW THE STARTUP SEQUENCE WORKED. List revised entirely. (sorry soren torchic is not a valid answer anymore)

In other news, No$GBA has the worst screenshot system imaginable.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Eevee! That way, we can bicker down the line about how to evolve her.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

So Planescape: Torment is a pretty wordy game! Half the charm of the game is pretty much reading the long conversations that often occur between characters. I present two different options for conversations in the game; I want to know which people prefer!
Option 1: One giant image (actually several images).

Option 2: Character portraits.

Nameless One: "I... don't know."

Morte: "You don't know who are are, huh? You *could* have just said, 'Pike it, berk.' Well, that's okay... pretend you're a Clueless. See if I give a fig. I'm Morte. Hail, well met and all that wash."

Nameless One: "Where am I, Morte?"

Morte: "You're in this dump called the Mortuary... it's this big black structure with all the architectural charm of a pregnant spider."

Nameless One: "'The Mortuary'? Am I dead?"

Morte: "Well, now I don't know about that... but the Mortuary's the closest thing to a morgue you're going to find in this berg. Berks haul dead bodies here, bury 'em, burn 'em and if you're *really* lucky, you get brought back to life as a slave. Not the best spot on the Planes to be. If I was you, I'd dig up the nearest exit and give this place the laugh."

Nameless One: "I'm sorry... the 'Mortuary'? What is this place?"

Morte: "Uh... like I said, the Mortuary. You okay, chief? You don't look too good."

Nameless One: "Am I supposed to be here? Am I dead?"

Morte pauses.

Morte: "Don't know. You're *talking* to me... the walking dead around here don't usually do that. As I see it, the Dusties made a mistake and you weren't dead. Did you sign some sort of contract that you remember? I mean, they usually gotta fill out all sorts of legal paperwork before they can pull someone outta the dead-book."

Nameless One: "Uh... contract? No, I don't remember signing one. I... don't remember much of anything."

Morte: "You don't remember *anything*? C'mon, that's a load of tanar'ri dung. You serious?"

Nameless One: "Yes."

Morte: "By every god and his mother... well, chief, more than likely your memories just took a dive into your brain-box. With any luck, they'll come up for air soon, trust me. Musta been some night you had. Better hope you didn't hurt anybody or mix it up with the law... say, speaking of which, are you one of those Sensates into self-mutilation or did somebody give you those scars?"
Certainly, there are other options I could go with too. Just wondering what option appealed to more people (or: which one was more readable).
Old 03-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

The second option seems less likely to make my browser grind to a halt.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:18 PM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

Yeah, I like option 2 for readability.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Option 1 just cause it reminds me of old school TT...
Old 03-20-2013, 04:49 PM
:O

Option 1.