The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 04-14-2011, 05:36 PM
"I don't get people."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Silvers View Post
Given some other's comments about other's GBA screenshots, you may want to look at resizing to 200%, just so you know.
I guess this forum doesn't have enough html support to just have the browser do it?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 PM
The Goofiest Roebro

What would you kids think of a Final Fantasy X-2 video LP, with democratic selections of character builds and adventuring locations? Obviously, I wouldn't show every damn battle ever, just the bosses, and possibly interesting Oversouled regular monsters. I really dig X-2, I'd just need to work out how I'm going to do this. Probably just record raw footage, then cut it together and comment.

EDIT: Oh, and if you guys asked really nicely, I might do some of the International Version + Last Mission stuff, such as Creature Create, and we could see if it's possible to beat the game with an Iron Giant in the Songstress Dressphere!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:06 AM
y cant axiom crawl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
...Final Fantasy X-2 video LP...
If nobody more interesting has an opinion, I'll weigh in.

An X-2 LP could be fun, but it seems to really be begging for screenshots/text. The biggest strength of the game is the job system, and I can't imagine doing it justice without pauses for job descriptions a la Eddie's FFT LP.

If most TTers are in the camp that has dismissed X-2 as an extended exercise in fan-service it would be good to take the time to show where this is and isn't true. It may mean, though, that you won't get much helpful input on things like character builds.

I really like X-2 for the job and battle system mechanics ("I read it for the articles"), but the story and characters are just painful to endure (even when it totally nails the J-pop magical-girl's night out aesthetic). It may make narration tricky - when do you let the story stand as self parody, and when do you step in to point out its excesses?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:29 PM
The Goofiest Roebro

Oh, I already have an idea to take time out and explain the mechanics. Chapter 1 is going to consist of alternating "I GO HERE BECAUSE TT TOLD ME TO" and "Hey, here's how a particular system works/Dressphere info."
Old 05-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Banned

Hey guys, please vote on my 7th Dragon party. The character classes are already decided by me but I'd like TT members to decide the character sprites.
Here are the four classes.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Bug/Flying

Dizzamn, that's exactly the same party I have in 7D. Like, right down to the class. Glad to see I'm not the only one fond of those four. :P

I vote:
Knight: Male 2 (elf knight)
Healer: Female 1 (timid blonde)
Mage: Female 2 (busty babe)
Samurai: Male 2 (goatee)

Last edited by PapillonReel; 05-16-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
Hey guys, please vote on my 7th Dragon party. The character classes are already decided by me but I'd like TT members to decide the character sprites.
Here are the four classes.
3 Samurai and 1 healer
Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 AM
Espurrs are proud.

So, I'm going to start a Spore Let's Play, and I want a bit of input before I do. First of all, I'll be starting on the Creature stage, because the Cell stage is one of the worst things ever made. Now, I only need two bits of input: 1, carnivore, omnivore, or herbivore; and 2, cheats, limited cheats (i.e. more money in space stage) or no cheats?

If there's no reply, I'll go with Omnivore and limited cheats.

EDIT: Also, should I be social or aggressive to start? (I'll go with aggressive by default)

ANOTHER EDIT: A name, for both the creature and the planet. I'll just hit Random if there are no suggestions.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:49 AM
I have a Plan

You should do the Cell stage too. Even if it's awful, it's over fast, and you get a special ability in later stages.

And you should be an aggressive herbivore. Like a rhino. Except a rhino with five legs and bug eyes, because Spore.

Also feel free to cheat in the Space stage because aaaaaaaaargh.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
You should do the Cell stage too. Even if it's awful, it's over fast, and you get a special ability in later stages.

And you should be an aggressive herbivore. Like a rhino. Except a rhino with five legs and bug eyes, because Spore.

Also feel free to cheat in the Space stage because aaaaaaaaargh.
Well, I'll probably just use setconsequenceTrait cell_[whatever] to get the special ability for Cell. Also, my space cheating will be just to spam moremoney, especially since I have a mod to make it give 99 million instead of just 1.

Another mod lets you use the expanded cell parts and the Dr. Pepper robot bits in the Cell editor, so maybe.

Speaking of which, how about mods? I have some that mainly let you use more parts in creatures, but should I turn them off for the LP?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:09 AM
5 out of 8 computers

What is your goal for the Spore LP?

Do you want to show people the game? If so, turn off the mods and cheats, and show the game as it was made, including the Cell stage. Do you want to show the k-razy things that can be done with mods and cheats? If so, do that, but also consider showing some vanilla Spore as well, so that those of us who haven't played it have some baseline for comparison.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk: right now, given your history of changing your reservation slot, it seems like your goal is "do an LP of something", which from what I've seen isn't a recipe for success.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 AM
hang high, soft star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron M View Post
What is your goal for the Spore LP?

Do you want to show people the game? If so, turn off the mods and cheats, and show the game as it was made, including the Cell stage. Do you want to show the k-razy things that can be done with mods and cheats? If so, do that, but also consider showing some vanilla Spore as well, so that those of us who haven't played it have some baseline for comparison.

At the risk of sounding like a jerk: right now, given your history of changing your reservation slot, it seems like your goal is "do an LP of something", which from what I've seen isn't a recipe for success.
Yes!

Also, don't bank on audience participation.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:53 PM
Espurrs are proud.

I'll use limited cheats and do the cell stage. Also, I'll probably just have audience participation be "aggressive, social, or mixed".
Old 08-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Find Your Reason

Moved over from the Tech Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerdan View Post
KMPlayer or VLC, among a slew of others. (These just happen to be ones I can name off the top of my head, though.)
I've had KMP for ages and didn't even know it could stream! The only downside is that I can't access capture settings with these. K!TV does a truly amazing job smoothing out the inputs, and rendering them at a full 640x480, so the PS2 stream looks almost as good played on a window on an HDTV as if it were playing directly on the TV itself --and its video capture plugin uses those same input and resolution settings, though its output is much less robust. On the other hand, KMP has really great --but tiny-- and powerful output, but I can't touch stuff deinterlacing or jitter, much less resolution.

VLC didn't work as well, though. I don't know why, but I can't watch and record at the same time, and the output is... ergh.

For comparison's sake, here's a test with KMPlayer, and here's the original K!TV ZoomOut plugin. KMP is smaller and jagged, but the video is smoother and there's no audio lag. ZoomOut is larger and has a nicer picture, but it skips and has a 0.2s audio lag.

Since I'm only taking video of the most important events, as well as boss battles, there's also a matter of stills. ZoomOut has the advantage because of its picture quality, but both suffer from interlacing artifacts in fast-moving objects (like, say, a Pixie's fairy wings, or worse, a High Pixie's dragonfly wings.) Slower effects don't have that issue, but ZoomOut still comes out ahead.

So it comes down to: do I sacrifice smooth video and fully-synched audio for better picture quality, or do I sacrifice nicer video/stills for higher-quality motion and audio?

Here's what I mean. All pictures are at their native resolution. Small one is KMPlayer, large one is K!TV w/ZoomOut.

Pixie wings:

High Pixie wings:

Focus skill:

Heat Wave skill:

What do you think, sirs?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Not for resale

Looks pretty good. You may want to run a deinterlace filter on the resulting images/video, however.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Grr. Argh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Looks pretty good. You may want to run a deinterlace filter on the resulting images/video, however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
On the other hand, KMP has really great --but tiny-- and powerful output, but I can't touch stuff deinterlacing or jitter, much less resolution.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Not for resale

What? A deinterlace filter is not difficult to run on post-production images and videos. To wit:

Old 08-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Find Your Reason

That looks nice indeed, and I may wring out some use of Virtual Dub yet. But my problem is with the video capture:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
So it comes down to: do I sacrifice smooth video and fully-synched audio for better picture quality, or do I sacrifice nicer video/stills for higher-quality motion and audio?
The sample videos I posted make this dilemma more than evident. Especially if I intend to take stills from the video to post in the thread --or I could always take video independently of the screencaps. Only problem is that the video would naturally result in a different battle from whatever I snap.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Not for resale

You can record it with KMPlayer so it's highly interlaced but otherwise nice-looking, and then edit the video with VDub and add deinterlace filters. That's more or less what I did there, albeit with the Paint Shop Pro equivalent (two layers, deinterlace even on one and odd on the other, 50% translucency for one layer on top of the other). It's actually easier with VDub post-processing since you can set up filter chains that get applied automatically.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Busy With School

(Whoops, posted this in the wrong thread)

In an attempt to destroy my ability to feel joy, I think I'm going to try and transcribe all of Golden Sun Dark Dawn's dialogue.

I don't supposed any of you guys know a text dump I could use to make things a little easier?

Aside from that, I also intend to do a challenge run because god knows how easy the game is. With that said, here are some challenges that I know of:

Low Level
No Djinn
No Special Weapons (which also means No Sveta)
No Revival
No Psynergy In Battle
Only Use Psynergy In Battle

I'm not sure which one to do, so I guess I'll have a vote of sorts.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 PM
I have a Plan

Y'know what would be a better idea than a straight text dump?

An edited transcript. We all know how wordy Golden Sun gets, and dumping the script would do no favors other than impress upon us the size of it. A trimmed down version, on the other hand, would take all of a few minutes since there's really only one or two key things in each cutscene to note.

Also, if you're up for challenges, I say do an Attack Psynergy only one. Does that preclude physical Psynergy like Ragnarok as well, or just wepon?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Not for resale

No need to reinvent the wheel, now. You're not the only person who's had that "script transcription" idea, and these guys have an 8-month advantage on you. Looks like they've got most (if not all) of the work done for you on that front.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Busy With School

That's good to hear.

And to be honest, I kind of worded that challenge poorly. I mean only Psynergy can be used in battle, which sounds nice until you realize that 99% of Psynergy sucks ass.

I'll go fix it.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Behind the times.

In addition to an unsolvable technical situation, we keep running into the problem of interrupting each other. This is our way of handling LPs. We've only done short things so far. I've pitched the possibilities of our next game being Baroque, Odin Sphere, or Persona 3. Baroque's roughly the length we're used to. Odin Sphere and P3, while drastically cut down thanks to using a newgame+, will still be pretty long. We're leaning towards P3 at the moment as it's the least repetitive of the bunch. Yay? Nay?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Rollin' around.

When I get my new Windows 7 computer, my first task will be to tackle the JPN-only Game Boy game For The Frog The Bell Tolls. Anyone got pointers for taking screenshots with Virtual Boy Advance?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Back to Front

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matto View Post
When I get my new Windows 7 computer, my first task will be to tackle the JPN-only Game Boy game For The Frog The Bell Tolls. Anyone got pointers for taking screenshots with Virtual Boy Advance?
There's a button specifically for taking screenshots built right into VBA. Just go to Options -> Joypad -> Configure -> 1... and assign a button. You'll want to make a folder that all your screenshots will go to; you'll want to do that ahead of time, so just make a folder on your desktop or somewhere else easy to find. Then, open VBA and select File -> Screen Capture and pick the folder to save screenshots in.

It's pretty easy to do once you know what you're doing, but let us know if you have any trouble. Best of luck, Matto!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Wasn't VBA the emulator that overwrites its own screenshots with each session?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Back to Front

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Wasn't VBA the emulator that overwrites its own screenshots with each session?
...No? At least, that's never happened to me, and I've used it for two separate LP's and part of a third. Are you sure you aren't confusing VBA with another emulator?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:36 PM
"Just My Style!"

Does anyone know ways of recording on an x-box 360 or ps3 that won't cost huge $$$? I've tried doing some research, and found a way for psp but those two would be useful. I've been thinking about a XIII and XIII-2 playthrough, as I have not seen it here yet. Of course, I life gets in the way, I probably won't do it/finish so...yeah.
ALso, I've never had VBA delete screenshots before.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:08 PM
The Great Cave Offensive!

Unfortunately, your only real options are HD-PVR devices or cards; the Colossus will do what you want, but it's about $150.