The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Out of respect for the recently deceased, I'll decline to make the requisite Mega Man X4 reference.

With the villagers all dead, the fate of Sostegaria rests in the hands of Leena. Let's see how she's doing.

Not great, as it turns out.

Eleni continues to look way too cheerful as she gives Leena a pep talk.

It's kind of amazing that, in a game that plays so ridiculously fast and loose with punctuation, I'm still incredibly bothered by the absence of an oxford comma.

Apparently we're going to take a little girl with us to battle from now out. How could that ever go wrong?

There's a cute little animation here as Eleni kneels down to give Leena this pendant, which shines briefly as she's examining it.

"I was an orphan baby with only this pendant to show who I really was. I'm giving this to you because now I know who I am. I'm me! Someday you'll know what I mean... Let's go back to the others, okay?"

Eleni ends the scene by smiling even harder.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:33 AM
Bertolli?!?...

And with that, we're finally to the end of the longest update so far in this LP. Which means that it's time to take a look at two battles worth of loot!

The Wyrmfang that the dragon dropped is another attack spell item, and this one looks to have an area of effect squarely between Phase Shift and Salamander. I think that I gave it to Dolan to replace his spent spell item, so perhaps we'll see it later.

We know how the keys works by now...

...and we know how item descriptions tend to work, too.

I give Sabina's dropped Rune bow to the Sniper that's actually wielding a bow at present, and it's a pretty substantial upgrade.

(To be clear, Kira is also technically equipped with a bow and could absolutely use this, but a quick look at the sprite will confirm that that ain't no bow.)

Keeping with my theme of style over substance, I give the D. speak to the Sky Lord that's wielding a spear, as opposed to... whatever the hell abomination Amon is swinging around.

With a new key to the latest Trial of Toroah in hand, we have options for where to head next. So what'll it be, Talking Time?

Next Time: The Trial or The Trial. Wait, what?
Old 03-15-2017, 12:35 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default ignore this post

*bump*
Old 03-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
[

!!!

That's... that's the name of the game!
Metal Gear???
Old 03-15-2017, 03:26 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Do the trial! Of Taroah!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:50 AM
Cool Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Do the trial! Of Taroah!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:48 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post

It turns out that dropping big rocks is a surprisingly effective way of dealing with rock monsters. Who knew?
Well there is that old adage which says to fight fire with fire. So maybe the same thing works with rocks?

or...

Rocks fall, everyone rocks die.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:05 AM

Damn, I can't believe you hit them with AVALANCHE. There ain't no gettin' offa this Vandal Hearts pain train!

Also, yes, go for the Trial of the Torah.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

on hiatus
Old 08-18-2017, 03:04 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Sorry about the delay everyone! I was busy for a while, and then I just sort of... couldn't climb back on the wagon! But I'm back now! On the wagon! And we're taking that wagon on a metaphysical journey! It's a rich metaphor.

When last we joined our heroes, they had just returned from killing a dragon to prove themselves to a village of reclusive guardians of ancient knowledge, only to find that the Crimson Guard had burned the entire village to the ground in their absence. Ash and co. avenged them, taking out another Crimson General in the process, although that jerk Kane fled for his life yet again. In the aftermath, the village elder, with his dying breath, instructed his granddaughter Leena to guide Ash to the only power capable of resisting the terrifying Flames of Judgment: the Sword of Destruction, Vandal Heart, said to be a sentient blade that has the power to curse the wielder if there is any doubt in their heart.

It's been many moons since we last checked in with our plucky band of rebels, and they've been very patiently waiting to go collect their magic sword and kick this rebellion back in gear...

...and they're going to have to just keep on waiting, because you lot voted to go collect a sacred macguffin instead! To the dojo!

My body is ready.

Welcome to the 5th Trial of Toroah! It kind of sucks!

We'll be fighting a bunch these weird yellow Golems called Guardians. They wield lightsabers for some reason, but they're not why this map sucks.

No, that blame lies squarely at the feet of these jerks, their presumably mistranslated allies with bazooka arms. We have to climb a giant-ass pyramid, and if I take a single misstep and end a turn with someone out from behind cover, these guys will converge on them like... wagons at a wagon feast? Look, it's been a few months; I'm rusty. LIKE A WAGON-WHEEL! Oh shit, we got there.

Anyway, yeah, a single wrong move can and will leave me with a corpse. So... I'm going to try not to do that.

So, just two battles ago, a fire-breathing dragon was a big deal, but now this pyramid is crawling with the darn things.

We've fought these before, haven't we? I dunno why I screen-shotted this guy. Maybe I wanted to look at his gear? Apparently these mages are royalty.

Anyway, there's a couple of them hanging out near the top of the pyramid, and their magic is going to add a wrinkle to what is otherwise a pretty repetitive battle.

So here's reason #1 that this battle sucks: my usual ace in the hole, giant AoE attacks from my two sorcerers, is blunted by the spread out enemy forces and big rises in elevation. Zohar would only be able to catch a few enemies with this blast, and as only one of them is Armor-type (and thus particularly vulnerable to magic), that's really not worth the MP expenditure. It certainly wouldn't be sustainable, at any rate, as there are way more than three jerks on this pyramid.

One bone that this battle throws us is putting the chest with the prism that we're here for right beside our starting location. I have Huxley swing by and pick it up before I forget, because if I got to the other end of this gauntlet and found that I'd forgotten to grab it, this would be the last update of this LP.

He might not be particularly vulnerable to magic, but dropping a big ol' rock on this jerk's head still stings.

Darius chases it with a long bomb, and the rest of the squad quietly shuffles along behind in an orderly line.

Wait, you didn't think I was going to be able to just climb upwards, did you? No no, you see, we've just found reason #2 that this battle sucks: it is a long, tedious climb to the top. Every change in elevation is just high enough that even my flyers can't ascend, so the only way to the top of this pyramid is to slowly circle it, traversing it clockwise one painful square at a time, taking care to remain in single file, because if anyone steps away from the cover offered by the inside wall of their current level, they'll immediately get shot in the face a half-dozen times from above.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:08 PM
Bertolli?!?...

The nearest Guardian obediently shuffles forward during the enemy turn, so Eleni drops a rock on his head and then Diego stabs him in the back to turn him into yet more rocks.

And then we file forward again. You'll notice that I've got a few people standing side-by-side near the corner, but that's safe because they're far enough from the centre of mass of the pyramid that none of the Basilisks have a straight line to them. This doesn't actually gain me much, though, since they'll still have to bottleneck back down to a single file as they traverse the next edge of the map.

Zohar cheekily stands with his back to this Salamander to give Darius the support bonus he needs to one-shot it with an arrow between the eyes. The support bonus may well have not been necessary, but better safe than sorry. I think this might be the highest single-target damage total that we've seen thus far in this LP?

Eleni's getting bored, so she decides to demonstrate a toy that I've yet to play with in this LP. Back when I first described Poison Cloud, I think I may have said that I'll never use it, and if I wasn't playing for an audience then I probably wouldn't be doing so here either, but this is a pretty good use case for it. Technically this is no better than the single-target Envenom, but I need the extra range provided by Poison Cloud's AoE to reach this guy at all, thanks to the height difference.

Anyway, once this jerk gets poisoned (how a golem can be poisoned in the first place is left as an exercise for the reader), he starts taking 52 damage per turn, and will continue to do so until he dies, which will be long before he's able to make his way around this pyramid to reach me, as this long walk bullshit cuts both ways.

The downside here, however, is that the enemies on this map are largely content to only activate as I approach, but this wakes up every enemy on the line around the pyramid between me and him. Granted, given how tedious this map can be, adding some extra excitement isn't much of a downside.

Diego decides to just stab this next jerk in the face because A) Bored, and B) It gives me a chance to show off their attack animation.

The lightsaber gives off a mechanical thrum as he hypnotically waves it back and forth...

...and then he smacks Diego with it like it's a stick.

The same Guardian and Clint* exchange blows before Darius finishes it off with a bolt.

* - If I had a dollar for every time that I misspelled Clint as Client while I was writing these updates...

...I'd probably have like twenty-five bucks. That's a lot, though! I literally have an editing run for each of these posts devoted to fixing every instance of this error.

The poisoned Guardian continues to have a bad day, which unfortunately does nothing to make my bad day any better. Remember, kids: spreading misery does nothing to help you find happiness!

This Basilisk had wandered into range of the squad, which means that we'll get to see its attack animation.

Its... its arm cannon glows, and then it shoots.

It looks like it probably hurts.

It's nothing that a quick Healing Circle from Sara can't patch up, though.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:30 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Zohar is just so angry that he can't Phase Shift his way to victory.

This Roman Fire wasn't particularly effective, or efficient, but it made him feel good. Remember, kids: spreading fire does everything to help you find happiness!

Smashing golems in the face works pretty well too, though.

Everyone continues to file along as the Poisoned golem and my squad compete to see who is hating this more (hint: it's me).

Oh shit, looks like I wandered too close to one of the Mages.

This... this seems bad.

Lovely. Needless to say, I don't want anyone getting tagged by that in addition to any other attacks, but it's pretty manageable in isolation, and Huxley is able to immediately undo this particular laughing skull visitation. Mind you, this Mage is now just going to start nuking away with impunity until I can take care of him, which is going to be a Problem.

Salamanders, however, are less of a problem. Kira and Diego are thankful for the target practice.

Look, I hate to stoop to this, but if I don't say it, someone else is going to, so please just indulge me and let me get it out of my system.

*AHEM*

"Nice."
Old 08-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Bertolli?!?...

This poor jerk finally finishes melting from the poison applied 4 turns earlier. Would that my misery only lasted 4 turns.

The Mage continues to advance (good), and decides to break out another new toy (bad).

You might have to squint to see them, but Zohar and Eleni are being taken for a magic tornado ride (excuse me, "hurricane"), and they don't seem to be enjoying it.

Fortunately, they're both mages themselves, so this doesn't actually hurt very much. But where's Eleni?

Look at the top of the frame.

I don't think she needed that neck anyway.

I'm desperate to start hurting this Dark Mage, so Huxley joins in the fun, even though it'll be of limited effectiveness.

That barely scratched the mage, but I'll take what I can get.

Zohar addresses the more immediate threat, and in doing so makes it clear that we've finally reached the point that Dark Star is just no longer cutting it.

Pointy sticks are never out of fashion, though.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:33 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Because sometimes Support bonuses don't make much sense, Grog parks himself "next" to this Dark Mage as Darius prepares to do something very stupid.

Ah, that's the good stuff. But if that just took care of a real big problem, why was it stupid?

Oh. Right. That's why.

In anticipation of this, I had a couple more brave souls join Darius in stepping away from the safety of the wall, in hopes that the enemy would split their attacks, and apparently the opportunity to shoot a squishy caster was tempting enough to draw this attack away.

And it's a good thing, too, because even with only two attacks Darius is barely clinging to life. I honestly wasn't sure that he was going to survive this turn, but I decided that it was worth the risk to take out that Mage. I also had Sara toss him a Mystic Shield before the end of the turn, and that may well have saved his life, even after having Sara successfully lure away one of the attackers. Anyway, let's not do that again.

Darius decides to share his pain with this absolutely devastating point-black shot to the Salamander's rear-end.

The damage has really been starting to add up, but it's nothing that Huxley can't largely wipe out with a single cast of Ultra Healing.

Kira sees the opportunity to take a pot-shot at this golem and can't resist taking it. Now that I've largely cleared out that layer, she's just far enough to the side that she can safely step away from the wall here without reprisal.

Grog and this Guardian just had this very "nice" exchange of blows and-- Oh God, I just can't. Sorry, I need a minute.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:36 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Alright, alright, deep breaths. Seriously, though, what are the odds of that? I think my Vandal Hearts CD might be haunted by the ghost of a pervert.

Darius advances around the corner and turns back to shoot this guy, but the jerk blocks the bolt with his forearm. That's not how you Jedi!

I know that I just said that Dark Star is bad now, but I only need to soften this guy up enough for Clint to finish him off, so this should be fine.

It... it wasn't fine.

Did someone order a dose of overkill? That's Ash's specialty. Hey, remember Ash, the main character? He is also here.

Speaking of people who are also here, poor Dolan just cannot keep up with his terrible movement. This is a map with one long, endless march, and Dragoons are uniquely bad at marching. The only reason he hasn't fallen ridiculously far behind is that I've had to keep stopping to kill things or wait for them to come to me, but as the opposition thins out we'll be leaving him further and further behind.

I've played this game with three Dragoons before, and this battle was torturous with that squad.

Yup, definitely haunted.

Darius' campaign of dragon genocide continues apace.

In my continued effort to make my own fun, I have Ash show off his newest spell. As a "hit the thing next to you really hard" spell, Delta Mirage completely replaces Ice Storm.

The spell starts off by drawing a triangle around the target.

...and then starts the concert.

The disco hall is... shrinking?

Shocking.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:37 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Eleni poisons another chump because she can. I wonder if this one will be able to reach us before he dies?

SPOILERS: He doesn't make it.

Darius finally found an opportunity to burn 5 targets at once and he's taking it. (The 5th is hiding underneath the compass rose.)

This Salamander looks as pissed as I am. It must be all of his cousins that Darius has been killing. All 5 targets get satisfyingly roasted.

Eleni likes her golems well done. Neither blast manages to kill anything, but all five of these poor saps are very, very hurt.

Make that three saps.

AN EXCITING DOLAN UPDATE: Dragoons are still slow.

Finishing off that one Basilisk put Kira in range of another, but a single attack is nothing to worry about, and they're running out of Basilisks.

Sara does some spot patching, and the death march continues. We're still only on the second level of this thing, although obviously the distance gets shorter with each level.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Alright, I'm making an executive decision at this point. Nothing new or interesting happens from here forward, and I've run out of ways to make it interesting, and I'd like to push this update out today, so I'm going to toss a bunch of these screenshots in the bin and fast-forward through the next couple dozen turns or so, stopping for the highlights:

"Nice"? Guys, I'm legit starting to get scared.

ANOTHER EXCITING DOLAN UPDATE: We're about to lap him.

Dark Mages are scurry.

A 68!? Did... did I just break the curse?

I think our long national nightmare is finally over.

o god

ANOTHER EXCITING DOLAN UPDATE: We've lapped him.

That only took an hour or two, but it felt like an eternity.

But at what cost? Also, can you point me towards a good exorcist?

One more magicalal macguffin for the pile. Just two more left to go before ???

Next time: Another trial? More Guardian Golems and Basilisks? Shit.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Hooray for Vandalal Hearts!

The lengths you're going to to avoid character deaths make me curious what the penalty is. Surely there isn't permadeath in a game where everyone's a story character with a speaking part?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Holy Swine

That is a good question.

Wow, what an excruciating map. Just crying out for a unit with Fly/Ignore Height/Teleport.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:35 AM
Minnesota Nice

Woohoo!

Also I completely repressed the memory of this map.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Cool Bunny

This map is definitely as much a trial for the player as for the characters.

I played through this recently and I didn't avoid character deaths nearly so well. I think you get less money at the end of fights and that's about it for penalty.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Hooray for Vandalal Hearts!

The lengths you're going to to avoid character deaths make me curious what the penalty is. Surely there isn't permadeath in a game where everyone's a story character with a speaking part?
Honestly, I kind of keep hoping that I'll screw up and lose someone so that I don't feel pressure to play so carefully. I had every intention of losing characters and rolling with it for this LP, but then I kept winning with no deaths and feeling more and more pressure to keep it going, so now I play slowly and carefully and it's stressful and oh god this is my Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup career all over again.

Anyway, character death is honestly pretty painless. There's no mid-battle revival, so they might fall behind on XP, which can be a problem if you let it get out of hand, but other than that they just show up in the battle results tally with a shameful red X and cost a bit of gold from our massive coffers. We will probably see it happen before too long, although I'm actually nearing the end of this game.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:23 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Wow, what an excruciating map. Just crying out for a unit with Fly/Ignore Height/Teleport.
Or Jump or Math Skill.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Hello there everyone, and welcome back to Let's Play Vandal Hearts!

In our last update, we climbed a tedious pyramid covered in asshole golems and dragons to collect another magicalal orb, but now that's done and we can finally get back to the plot! Huzzah! Ya'll remember the plot, right? The bad guys have control of a legendary force of destruction called The Flames of Judgment, and the last living descendant of the Biruni civilization, a little girl named Leena, has promised to guide Ash to the only thing that can stop it: a sentient magical sword called the Vandal Heart that's said to evaluate the character of its wielder and curse them if it finds them wanting.

So let's go get it!

It turns out that Orome Lake is... a lake. This is not particularly helpful!

Fortunately, it would seem the Leena has something up her sleeve.

If you're thinking that something about these magic words sounds familiar, that's because they are Latin. Specifically, they are a well-known Latin adage that you've likely heard before. You've certainly heard the modern English equivalent, which is "There's no accounting for taste."

I guess someone thought that it sounded good? I would love to know if this is in the original Japanese script. If not, then what an odd localization decision!

Anyway, Leena gets all sparkly and shit and there's a magical whirring and a distant rumble.

The camera tightens in a for a shot of this empty patch of water. I'm sure that nothing will come of it.

This seems like a very elaborate way to hide something. Also, doesn't it seem a bit small for a temple?

We're not done, though, as the camera focuses intently on another patch of water.

Guys, I think we found the temple.

My waifu Diego knows how to appreciate a good overly elaborate sunken temple reveal, but apparently something is wrong?

Everything looks fine to me?

Dammit.

Speaking of asshole golems, ugh, not these guys again.

Apparently these things are specialized in heroic trials. Great. And here I was hoping that maybe they showed up to discuss Latin philosophy: "TASTE IS INDEED SUBJECTIVE, AND THUS POORLY SUITED FOR DISPUTE AND DISCUSSION. PLEASE ATTEND OUR 30 DAY SEMINAR IN THE TEMPLE'S LEARNING ANNEX FOR FURTHER INFORMATION."

Oh, and note that this thing's eye glows in the character portrait when it talks. It's a pretty neat effect.

Well then get in there! We'll wait.

That's right, kids, it's time for an escort mission.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:54 AM
Bertolli?!?...

After the last battle, this battle is a breath of fresh air. It might be against the same opponents, but the two encounters couldn't by more different. First, and most importantly, this time the terrain is to our advantage, not theirs, and you'd better believe that I'm going to make use of that.

Like so. Thanks to her slight elevation advantage, Kira is able to shoot this Basilisk while remaining just outside its counter-attack range.

Darius isn't able to take his shot from outside that range, but somehow I suspect that it's not going to matter.

Cathartic.

We end the first turn by giving Dolan an opportunity to demonstrate the one thing that he's good at: holding a gap.

It's nice when Dolan gets a chance to close to melee occasionally and remind me why Guardsmen/Dragoons are good, actually. Certainly no one else on the squad would have come out of this exchange nearly so favourably.

Predictably, the remaining Basilisk takes a pot-shot at my only injured unit, and when that unit is the man with badass full plate armour and a tower shield then that policy is just fine by me.

The guardians that we saw at the beginning are just back here at the end goal, chillin'. I managed to catch one of them mid-blink in this shot, because yes, in this game even the danged golems blink and ruin my screenshots.

The next turn begins with Diego flying up over this jerk's head and clearing the way for the rest of the party.

Unfortunately, Dolan isn't quite able to move far enough to hit the next golem. Dolans gonna' Dolan.

Grog has no such problem, though, and hey, it turns out that these ranged golem jerks aren't quite so bad when you can get up in their grills.

That just leaves a single remaining golem in this first group, who is about to be peppered with arrows before taking his turn.

o god not again

Seriously, is this like that haunted Majora's mask cartridge? Am I going to die in 69 days?

Grog has about as much patience for my bullshit as my audience likely does by this point and quickly ends things.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:59 AM
Bertolli?!?...

And now, with everyone that we can reach dead, we're just kind of... hanging out? For an escort mission, this is a pretty relaxing jaunt. Leena will beeline towards the next objective at all times, but it's trivial to jam up the pathway if we want to delay her. She found a hole in the formation here to tuck into, but that's fine, as we've already dealt with everything here and just need to spend a couple of turns waiting for her to trigger the next part of the stage.

If this is your first time playing this stage then it's not necessarily clear where that next part will be, but this section jutting out over the water certainly suggests that we'll want to be pointed in this direction, so everyone makes an educated guess and clusters up around it. Or at least, as much as they can on single-file walkways.

Leena continues to advance while the rest of the squad waits patiently. Huxley patches up our injuries thus far off-camera while we're waiting.

Another magic square, more questionably appropriate Latin. This one loosely translates to "All that's fair must fade." I guess that's slightly more applicable?

This next section initially looks like it's going to be smaller until it suddenly all thrusts up out of the water at once and you realize that it's actually much larger.

That's... quite a lot of golems. Fortunately, Leena acts just before the player turn, so we get to strike first. No Fire Emblem reinforcement shenanigans here.

Hrm, so what are we to do about this? Big group of golems, big group of golems... I feel like I had something for this...

Ah, right.

HAH, I even got one of the guys on the final platform. I wasn't even trying! Enchanters confirmed OP.

There's not a lot of healing to be done, so Huxley decides that he wants to get in on the fun.

It's only marginally effective, since the Basilisks here on this raised shooting platform aren't Armor-type like the other golems and thus aren't so cripplingly vulnerable to magic, but that's why this extra bit of oomph was called for in the first place!

Eleni is more than willing to clean up his mess, and now that I know the score I make sure to position her to also hit the other golem waiting on front edge of the final platform.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Bertolli?!?...

The rest of the clean-up goes off without a hitch. We rock.

Another much simpler way to delay Leena is to just park someone on the button. Now we'll have as much time as we want.

Everyone calmly files forward single-file as the golems impassively look on. Vandal Hearts is my favourite DMV simulator.

There's a chest, though! Exciting!

Its contents: less exciting. This vendor trash golden axe gets sent straight to the wagon to be thrown on the pile with the others.

With everyone in proper position a couple of turns later, Ash moves off of the switch to make room for Leena to work her magic.

More Latin masquerading as Biruni, this time meaning "now or never". At least this phrase seems reasonably appropriate to the situation.

Nothing nearly so intimidating this time. Just a couple of new goons, and they'll fry just as well in a Salamander firestorm as any others.

I think we all know how this goes from here. Let's cut to the after-party.

Two Salamander casts later, and the two golems that we tagged with our earlier Salamanders from super long range are gone, and the two new ones are barely clinging to life. Let's see what we can do about that.

Ah, much better. That second kill-shot was courtesy of Darius' crossbow.

Kira's able to finish off one of the final two Basilisks from off to the side, but no one can reach the last one, so it'll get a free shot. That's all, though, so this battle is essentially done. If it ever even started to begin with, that is.

A valiant final effort, going straight for one of the ranged-vulnerable flyers.

Here's your reward.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:04 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Amon's not quite able to reach this second chest, but Leena is mercifully still one turn away from reaching the door and ending the level prematurely.

It was just another casting item to jam in my bags, but I'm sure as hell not going to stop going for 100% item collection now, so close to the end.

Speaking of jamming stuff in my bags, here's another big 'ol pile of gold for the coffers. You know what, screw Ishtaria. With all of this coin, we're going to start our own empire. We'll call it Ash-taria.

Yup, that looks like a magic sword alright. But it seems to be locked inside some kind of magic barrier?

Fortunately, we have the key.

Holy shit, you guys. It only took 3 years, but I finally managed to get a screenshot of Xeno warping!

Wait, 3 years? Good God, I have to update more frequently.

Ho... hooray?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Bertolli?!?...

"I had no idea that you would find a relic of this magnitude! The fabled Vandal Heart, Sword of Destruction!"

Sounds like Xeno's been creepin'.

"Too late! My Juicero is already in the mail!"

Actually, he hasn't yet. He's about to. You could, y'know, stop him maybe?

Or just watch. That's cool too.

You may recognize this particular space-time rift as looking similar to the one that swallowed up Grog, Sara, and Ash and sent them off to a nightmare dimension beyond time and space before they ultimately ended up three years in the future.

Wait, where is it going...?

This, um. This seems bad.

Eleni tries to rush in and help her, but Ash jumps in the way and stops her.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:09 AM
Bertolli?!?...

*cough* "Your" >_>

It's subtle and doesn't really show up well in screen-shots, but everyone has a unique crestfallen sprite here as they close their eyes and droop their heads.

I guess that's all that Xeno came here to do, because he immediately teleports right back out.

The squad's spirits are, shall we say, not at an all-time high. My boy Diego even said a swear.

What's all this, then?

I'm genuinely curious if this will come as a surprise to anyone. Let me know! It seems obvious to me, but I sort of have trouble distancing myself from it, so I decided to play it safe and not make any jokes about it or drop any hints outside of those given by the game. Certainly I didn't see it coming as a young'un, but I was also a lot less media-savvy then.

Ash certainly isn't getting it, at any rate.

Zohar's quickest on the uptake, which should come as no surprise. I mean, he has experience with time-travel, after all.

It's awfully convenient that Leena/Eleni got all of her memories back just in time to get us a legendary magical sword, but I'm not complaining!

Uh... I don't so much like the sounds of that, though. And what's the Latin mean this time?

*JBear does a quick Google search*

"We who are about to die salute you."

Uh oh.

Tags
. . . , magicalal