The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 04-19-2017, 06:35 PM

I was going to suggest Ghost Grinder as a band name, but I think it'd get sued by Marvel.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:56 PM
Holy Swine

Weíre back! Per JBearís helpful reminder, our first task will be to go back and clear out the early dungeon levels; then itís on to the bottom of the dungeon and Orc.

First stop is D:3, where after running around yelling like an idiot for a bit, MF Doom mercilessly kills some poor, helpless ghost.

Next is D:4, where Grinder lurks. But wait, there are more uniques here! Poor Duvessa isnít too hard when youíre actually supposed to fight her, let alone ten XLs later.

And neither is Dowan. Oh no, youíre hasted and have Stone Arrow now, whatever shall I do?

Well, I was going to say ďmurder himĒ, but a lucky polymorph shot porkalates MF Doom again.

But thatís OK, Ghostface Killah can get the job done on his own.

Ooh, interesting. Weíre very unlikely to use this, with that flaming bardiche we found last time in our back pocket, but maybe this is really, really good, in addition to being distressingly furry!

Not bad, actually, but not good enough to ditch two-handers for, either. Back on the floor it goes.

Thereís Grinder! He goes down in two attacks.

Whattaya know, itís a real party on D:4. Letís see what kind of fight olí Siggy can put up.

Not much. On to the next reunion stop!

Itís Menkaure, who gets one-shot. And thatís the reunion tour!

Now itís back to our regularly scheduled programming, down through the rest of D. It seems the skeletal warriors that originally scared MF Doom off from D:12 are now barely a speed bump. Thatís what conquering Lair (some elephants aside) will do for you!

The next foe that gives MF Doom pause is an ugly thing. Can he take it?

Yes, with ease!

Hey, MF Doom is already at glaive mindelay! Guess itís time to give that bardiche a spin!

He also pops on some armor skill. Points in that are now relatively cheap enough to be worth training.

Sadly, heís still stuck with pretty poor ring selection.

A helmet, found a little later, helps boost the AC a little. MF Doom is now getting to respectable AC levels even without Ozoís Armor.

The bardiche is a significant upgrade and is killing stuff pretty quickly, like this hill giant. Look at all those exclamation points!
Old 05-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Holy Swine

MF Doom takes strength and gets a bonus agility point. At the same time, GK not only gets a little more powerful, he learns Paralyze! Now weíre cooking!

Paralyze replaces Slow in GKís repertoire. Anything he lands it on is out for the count long enough that theyíre pretty much dead.

May as well start training some Invo to take best advantage of Hepís abilities.

A read-IDed brand weapon scroll gets used on MF Doomís glaive, as his bardiche is already perfect. Itís kind of a wash for the glaive, but heís never really planning to use that anyway.

D:15 is off to a rip-roaring start. A little bit of stair-dancing clears that up no problem.

It takes a while and isnít without its danger, but thereís not that much that can go wrong when youíre standing on the upstair.

Letís give Transference a try in cleaning up this situation. That manticore is annoying, with the barbs itís firing across the room.

And now itís adjacent! This is handy in bringing all kinds of ranged nasties up close and personal.

This is what your HP bar looks like on tab. Kids, donít do tab.

A yaktaur captain is a little odd for the dungeon. Iím guessing it leaked out of the Depths entrance vault.

Yep, thereís where it should be sitting. This is one of the easier Depths entrance vaults, with a few ranged monsters but lots of cover to approach them from.

Then the tabbing finally gets MF Doom into real trouble. Phantasmal warriors are most often encountered in Crypt and extended, with strong characters; itís easy to forget that they can hit hard if youíre not quite up to their level yet.

Phew! A heal gets MF Doom out of immediate danger. But heís still got to get away; getting slowed by those wraiths with the phantasmal warrior still nearby could be a death sentence.

Thankfully, a teleport goes off in time, and a slightly more cautious MF Doom is free to rest up.

Back to the stash before continuing onward. The available spells to memorize have some goodies, particularly Repel Missiles and Regeneration, but MF Doom will need some more spell levels first.

Into Orc goes MF Doom, dicing up ogres like onions.

As usual, Orc is pretty peaceful, and MF Doom makes it down to O:2 easily. The end happens to be one where the four guaranteed shops are spread out, each with a cluster of more difficult enemies.

The first group gets cleared out, and MF Doom finds a mediocre shop they were guarding. Some of it is at least potentially useful, like the brand weapon scroll.

A book shop is promising, even if MF Doom isnít exactly hurting for good memorization options.

Itís a great shop! Summonings and Beasts are great options, and Battle is the absolute best book for hybrid characters. MF Doom will be back here for sure!
Old 05-13-2017, 12:57 PM
Holy Swine

The third, a weapon shop, is a bust.

And the fourth, whatever it is, is well-guarded. Going to have to lure these guys out in small groups.

GK makes a quixotic last stand. See you soon, buddy!

Well, this is fun. Letís hope we donít get too mutated!

Thankfully, the warg blocks line of sight nicely, and the next trip down, MF Doom is able to pull a couple more orcs up to their death.

One of them happens to have a really nice weapon, so even just these two end up putting up a major fight! Careful, MF Doom!

Now for the fight against the big guy. MF Doom Idealizes GK for the heck of it. Idealize boosts all of GKís stats; one of the more important effects of this, for this fight, is a spellpower boost.

It helps a lot, as GK manages to land a Confuse, and the orc warlord is rendered nearly harmless.

And then the coup de grace for good measure! Wow, GK!

So, of course, feeling invincible, MF Doom goes and takes a third of his health bar in one hit. Whee!

And, a couple trips down, he gets paralyzed. Good thing heís playing this extremely safely!

Thankfully, by the time he wakes up, GK has done more damage to the enemies than they have to him.

Whoa there! This is like the most dangerous Orc ever.

Not that youíd know it from the fight this stone giant put up.

One of the best ways to deal with paralyzers is to never ever let them see you with anything dangerous in melee in line of sight.

Finally, the last shop. Not bad! The fire dragon scales are probably the only things MF Doom will consider. A more tanky character would love that crystal plate armor, though.

Continuing the danger themeÖbut GK and MF Doom handle it easily together.

Another one? On O:1, no less? Crazy! Stone giants are literally the most dangerous non-unique things you can find in Orc.

At least thereís another shop up here. The two scrolls at the bottom are nice, as is the amulet up top.

Orc just doesnít let up, though. Thankfully, MF Doom gets to the upstair without taking another hit.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Holy Swine

Down there, he manages to rest up enough to get out of extreme danger before something else wanders over.

But thereís an elf mage right behind the orc warrior, and all of a sudden weíre one hit from death again.

Some healing gets MF Doom out of the danger zone, and his allies come through to save him.

A little later, some revenge gets MF Doom to level 16, and powers up GK!

Öthis is getting ridiculous.

For some reason, MF Doom Idealizes and tries to fight it out. Abort!

Eep! Run away!

Phew. That was a close one.

Not that the stone giant lets up on the trip back up!

But it goes down, and not long after, the floor is finally clear. MF Doom has a pretty robust shopping list! The enchant weapon scroll is a must-buy.

As are some excellent books. Merfolk needs spell levels badly!

He does have enough to add Spectral Weapon right away. Oh, how sweet it is.

MF Doom makes it back to Lair and cleans things up a bit. Todayís mission had many close calls, but was ultimately a success!

Here are his skills.

Status.

And the dungeon overview. Itís time to venture into a Lair branch, but which one? The only source of rPois that MF Doom has seen is this thing:

And thatís not exactly conducive to MF Doomís style, per se.

Let me know where MF Doom should go, and Iíll see you all next time!
Old 05-13-2017, 04:06 PM

Swamp seems like the safer choice, with Mf bonuses and no good source of rPois. unless you've seen a decent trident somewhere? But I mean that bardiche is also perfect for cutting down every hydra you see.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Without rPois, I honestly think Snake is more dangerous than Spider, not that I'd try either if I had the choice.

Our hero is kind of up a creek here. That MR is pitiful, and swamp drakes will ruin your day. Swamp at least gets you into your natural terrain, so it's the easy pick, but that doesn't mean it'll be easy.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:03 PM

At least swamp gives you a shot at swamp dragon scales to give rPois?
Old 05-15-2017, 05:43 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I thought that MD stood for Merfolk Doom, not Massive Damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBlasto View Post
At least swamp gives you a shot at swamp dragon scales to give rPois?
Ayup. I always head to Swamp first when looking for rPois for this reason.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:52 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I thought that MD stood for Merfolk Doom, not Massive Damage.
With me, everything stands for Massive Damage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Ayup. I always head to Swamp first when looking for rPois for this reason.
Even aside from that, I think Swamp is the much easier one. It's easier in general. Only swamp drakes and swamp dragons present particular rPois issues, and there are always potions of curing and the ability to swim or blink out of the clouds. I'm glad the vote is leaning to Swamp, because that's definitely where I'd go if left to my own devices.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:51 PM
-ryn

yeah, i agree with swamp
Old 06-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Fuckin' Crystals, maaaaan

Now, if it were me, I'd probably suggest Spoder over Swamp. But that's because if it were me, I'd probably have been rocking Ignite Poison and Olgreb's Radiance at this stage of the game. Too bad the book store didn't seem to have the latter. As is, Swamp is probably the correct choice if only because merfolk love water. Anything that can poison you, you probably outrun in water.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Holy Swine

MF Doom is back, and on to Swamp he goes, Ghostface Killah faithfully in tow. He is rather appropriately greeted by a swamp worm, who is easy prey for the dynamic duo at this point.

Swamp, like Shoals, is nice for a merfolk Ė all this water provides on-demand movespeed and EV bonuses, with the movespeed being particularly nice. Makes it a lot easier to get away when trouble strikes.

Like so!

MR check: not good. Louise can and will banish you to the Abyss; MF Doom can probably survive that at this point, but itís still better avoided if possible.

So MF Doom uses allies to block Louise off. Banishment requires line of sight, and if an ice beast or two gets banished, itís no big deal.

Bullet dodged!

MF Doom gets a nice wall set up, and sets about poking Louise into submission. She goes down without any further theatrics.

Shambling mangroves are one of the bigger threats in Swamp, and this one has caught MF Doom when heís resting up from another battle. Better avoided than fought, this one; it hasnít seen MF Doom yet, and so heís able to just walk away.

Of course, without rPois, swamp drakes and dragons are both threats as well. With solo swamp drakes, at least, Ghostface Killah ought to be able to handle them by himself, even if MF Doom gets confused.

Indeed, the swamp drake hardly does MF Doom any damage before he recovers from his confusion and tears it apart.

UhÖthis may be worth considering. *Corrode causes corrosion randomly when hit, I think something like 3% of the time, but +9 is a heck of a lot of AC.

Yep, thatís better. Itíll hurt spell success a bit, but thatís nothing a bit of skill training canít fix.

Swamp dragons are best dealt with by getting out of the poison cloud ASAP; those clouds can stack a ton of poison on you in a hurry.

Even so, this one manages to poison MF Doom considerably. You can see how it might be huge trouble if it were accompanied by something else dangerous. Potions of curing do help, but if youíre using them on every swamp dragon you fight, youíll run out quickly.

Thorn hunters are another major swamp danger, with powerful ranged and melee attacks and the ability to limit movement by creating a wall of brambles. Fortunately for MF Doom, this one came into sight in melee range, and they are vulnerable to fire, so itís no problem.

One thing that MF Doom is exceptionally good at is killing hydras. A couple of flaming bardiches will do that quite quickly!

This seems like a vault of some kind. Letís crack it open.

This proves easier said than done!

MF Doom has to resort to a scroll of fear to disperse the immediate danger. I like to use fear scrolls first out of all the consumables, as they can be resisted by MR and straight-up donít work on a lot of late-game enemies.

After using the respite gained from the fear scroll to retreat upstairs and rest, the fight is a lot easier.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Holy Swine

And one of the swamp dragons finally offers up some scales, giving MF Doom access to rPois. Itís a decent hit to his defenses, though.

Sadly, the vault is fairly boring, without any loot to speak of.

Onto S:3, where trouble quickly rears its ugly head. Bai Suzhen alone might be run away-worthy; with a whole bunch of fast support, MF Doom needs to get away before this gets bad. Thankfully, thereís a teleport trap nearby; he ducks in.

ThisÖis a bit of a sidegrade. At least the dangerous thing doesnít have help, and weíve got a spectral weapon out to help. The thorn hunter goes down fast; theyíre vulnerable to fire.

But itís not the only one here; perhaps the vault-like surroundings should have clued MF Doom in to danger. And thorn hunters can do a lot of damage very quickly.

But some heal wounds makes the immediate situation safe, and MF Doom and his massive firepower dispatch the threat.

But, of course, heís not out of the woods yet. Noise does tend to attract more trouble.

Bai, Suzhen. (oh god)

The teleport lands in a safe place, and on we go!

Another vault! You usually donít get this many in Swamp. This one has some hydras, which are not bad for MF Doom, and a wizard, which always carries with it the threat of banishment.

The old screen maneuver helps MF Doom get rid of the wizard safely.

A vault with actual loot, for once!

But none of the stuff is great. Oh well.

Itís so annoying when randarts are kind of decent, but in practice never really worth wearing.

What do you know, this super-fun vault from before also has oklobs. The best vault!

Bai Suzhen is still hanging around here; with a potion of resistance to mitigate the thunder damage from the second phase, and nothing else around to interfere, this is a fight MF Doom can attempt.

First phase goes great, and itís on to the second. This is nice, because only the first phase can summon hydras; the second just has primal wave (like merfolk aquamancers) and is surrounded by stormclouds.

The second phase goes down pretty easily as well! Good stuff from our rap duo!

So many vaults!

This one proves to be juuuust a bit more than MF Doom can handle; itís time to escape the situation ASAP.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Holy Swine

A blink and some last-ditch fighting does the trick, and itís back upstairs to rest for MF Doom. These dangerous situations are getting worryingly frequent; this is a bit of a rough Swamp, but this has been a stretch of poor play to avoid disengaging from potential dangerous situations at the earliest opportunity.

The floor down is still a mess, but itís a manageable one when standing on the stairs.

The vault turns out to be the rune vault, which I did not even come close to noticing. No wonder it was so dangerous! This particular rune vault is guaranteed to have the 27-headed Lernaean Hydra, which should be fun!

A ghost, too? Of course!

HmmÖmight be a tough one.

YepÖa tough one, all right.

But then GK decides to turn the tide, and the ghost does down like a plane with no engines. Amazing how quickly a hexer can turn the tide in your favor.

And thereís the main event!

Doesnít look that impressive on paper, but 27 heads can do a whole lot of damage in a hurry.

It has a quote, one of the less obscure ones at that! (Hooray!)

Letís do this (questionably wise thing)!

The first salvo is exchanged! Two heads for a spectral weapon. A fair trade.

We do a dance with the LH for a bit. Weíre both faster in water than on land, so if it moves stupidly, MF Doom can get some free polearm hits in, and maybe eventually heíll have it down to a normal number of heads?

But then! A helpful ghost crab whittles down some of the LHís health with ghost breath!

And, a couple healthy smacks later, down goes the LH! The rune is unguarded!

The rest of the loot is pretty mediocre, but hey, rune! On to Spider in search of our second rune we go!

With rPois from the swamp dragon armor, Spider should be pretty straightforward.

Psyche!

Not sure how MF Doom can struggle so much here, but struggle he does. As all spiders are fast, this is now a near-death situation; some curing and heal wounds have to be quaffed to get MF Doom back to a place where he can stab his way out of it. Using up consumables is a whole lot better than dying, but having to use this many consumables is a bad sign.

Entropy weavers, with their smite-targeted corrosion and tendency to be accompanied by fast and accurate spiders, are the biggest single threat for MF Doom in here. Itís best to try to make them approach to melee range out of sight and then kill them very quickly.

Which MF Doom accomplishes, not without incident.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Holy Swine

Shortly after, level 18 brings with it some more strength!

And another dangerous unique. Ha! Chugged a resistance potion just in time! That one would have really hurt.

With temporary rElec up, Nikola is really a pushover.

Orb spiders: the most annoying/dangerous if you get hasty enemy in the game.

So GK puts Ďem both to sleep. Good buddy!

The worm vault is a lot less scary for a merfolk in Spider than where itís usually encountered, with a non-swimming character in Lair. The empty spaces have swamp worms that can surprise you in the water and do some quick, cheap damage.

Worm vault has a randart ring! ButÖitís mediocre.

Hey, Arachne! All the uniques are hanging around today.

MF Doom goes all-out on her. Kinda forgot we had Summon Ice Beast, huh? So did I!

The combined firepower is way too much for Arachne. Almost at bardiche mindelay!

An emp scorp also gets the full wrecking crew.

To predictable effect.

A couple more attack on the way through this level. This one does the most damage; still short of the danger zone.

Bad stair, try again.

Better! Silly entropy weavers arenít spiders, and, unlike most things here, can get stuck in webs (emperor scorpions just tear right through webs). With this one immobilized, it goes down fast.

Spider:4 starts with another rough stair. Spark wasps, like most things that have electric attacks, can wreck the unwary in a hurry.

A couple stairdances later, andÖyeah, like that. 58 damage on the trip upstairs, plus whatever MF Doom took on the trip down, and confusion on top of thatÖthis is an emergency.

In his confused state, many typical options for MF Doom are off the table. Invocations and scrolls are unavailable; attacking and taking the stairs again are suicide. The first action pretty much has to be curing or heal wounds; curing will be needed eventually, but heal wounds might better help MF Doom survive the turn where he quaffs curing.

One heal wounds and one curing work; no more confusion. Now to escape.

But MF Doom opts for heal wounds before blinking or fear, and pays the ultimate price.

That was a tricky situation; what could MF Doom have done to avoid it?

The first, and best thing, would have been to take another stair down. The spark wasp was sitting there and could easily have come up with some of the other spiders; a different stair is very unlikely to be that dangerous.

Second chance, once the confusion wore off, was to read blinking (best) or fear (OK). Either one would have gotten MF Doom out of immediate-death-next-turn danger. It still would have been a sticky situation, but when you could die on the next turn, you have to make sure to prevent that. If you take a lot of 10% chances of death in these situations, like I tend to do, one of them is going to bite you. This one did.

Another option: with two potions of resistance left, quaffing one before stairdancing some more would have made this a perfectly mundane encounter.

But MF Doom was a character on the edge of survival, between my suboptimally aggressive play and his weak defenses. Swamp and Spider had plenty of close calls before this, and I should have listened to those and played extra cautiously. Truly, hubris is the real toughest enemy in Crawl.

MF Doomís demise brings my tenure running this LP to a close. We got some wins, we showed off most of the game, and I hope you all had as much fun reading it as I did running it. Sorry for letting it drag at the end! I doubt Kalir or dtsund have any designs on continuing it further, but if so, the floor is theirs.

Please let me know if you have any feedback on my LP technique or style! I do plan to do more, and Iím always striving to improve. I donít have nearly the free time I did when I started this LP, but slow and (kind of) steady wins the race, right?

Iím proud to be part of one of the highest-post-count and most-read LPs on this forum (seriously!), though I really canít take that much credit for it. So long, and may Xom have mercy on all our souls.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:58 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
A ghost, too? Of course!

HmmÖmight be a tough one.
Nah, just keep looking at it and it won't move. Always seems to work for Mario!

Quote:
That was a tricky situation; what could MF Doom have done to avoid it?
Obviously blink is safest, but I think I'd have probably risked a one-space shift to the left after you stabilized. The spark wasp is the biggest threat, and doing that parks your Hexer between you and it.

Quote:
MF Doomís demise brings my tenure running this LP to a close. We got some wins, we showed off most of the game, and I hope you all had as much fun reading it as I did running it.
I sure did! Thanks for the fun!

Quote:
So long, and may Xom have mercy on all our souls.
Xom is not capable of mercy.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Yes, let's feast!

You hear Xom's avuncular chuckle.

It was a good ride. Thanks for running this.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:39 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

So long and thanks for all the fishmen.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:54 AM
-ryn

This has continued to be one of my favorite LPs on this site. thank you Gerad for finishing the characters in the list and showing us so much of this game.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:49 PM
TARANTUL

I haven't popped in her as much as I should have, but thanks Gerad. It's been a fantastic run.

Also thanks to all the previous crawl LPers. It's been a hell of a ride.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 PM
Holy Swine

You're welcome, everyone! Glad so many of you enjoyed it!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:30 PM

I'm late to the party, but I'd like to echo the sentiments expressed by everyone else toward Gerad. Great job!
Old 08-17-2017, 11:22 PM
Shields must fall

This thread is a significant portion of the reason I am the crawl player I am today. Thumbs up, would read again, 11 out of 10 stars.

Tags
let's play , roguelike , rougelike , smoimo rote