The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 04-26-2016, 06:52 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Next up is the monkey grinder. We know from the feelies that their type suffer an illiteracy rate of 103%. So he wouldn't know any better than to mess with a chest labeled Do Not Open...

Ledge

>drop all
The wand of Levitation: Dropped.
The cane of Sayonara: Dropped.
The lantern: Dropped.
The rod of Annihilation: Dropped.

>drop pack
[taking off the pack first]
Dropped.

...
Lamp Room
An old sea chest lies half-buried in debris.

>get chest
You'd have to close the chest to do that.


Wait, what's this?

>l in chest
You see a palimpsest and a vague outline in the sea chest.

>get palimpsest and outline
The palimpsest: Taken.
The vague outline: Taken.

>read palimpsest
The meaning of the palimpsest is obscure. It seems to have something to do with transcendental physics. The word "Squirp" is inscribed across the top.

>x outline
The vague outline disappears the moment you set eyes on it.

>undo
[UNDO completed.]

>close chest
You close the sea chest.

>get chest
Taken.

...
Outside Guild Hall
A monkey grinder is loafing nearby.
"Welcome back," coos the monkey grinder with an evil grin.
Bundy appears at your feet.
"Guess I'll just have to finish you off."
The monkey grinder turns the crank, and your mouth gags with the taste of orcish nightsoil.
[Your endurance just went down.]
(31/33)

>give chest to monkey grinder
"A treasure chest!" crows the monkey grinder, snatching it rudely away from you. "I just
love surprises."
You wince as he taps on the outside of the chest, shakes it, then turns it upside down. Nothing happens. Then he places it on the ground, stares without comprehension at the brass plate, and cracks his knuckles.
Rays of golden light burst from the sea chest's interior as the lid creaks open. The monkey grinder is bathed in a chorus of radiant ecstasy that almost drowns out the telltale snap of an opening Gate.
When your head clears, the monkey grinder is gone without a trace.
[Your experience just went up.]

>get sense organ
You pick up the hurdy-gurdy.
[Your endurance is back to normal.]

>x organ
This squat contraption is about the size of a Frobozz Magic Breadbox Company breadbox, and made of brightly painted wood. There's a big dial up front, and a crank jutting from the side, just below the closed lid.

>open it
A wraith of colored light seeps out as you open it.

>x dial
The dial on the hurdy-gurdy is encircled by six little pictures, cunningly painted: an eye, an ear, a nose, a mouth, a hand and a clock. At the moment, the dial points to the picture of an eye.
Bundy rubs up against your leg.

>n
You step unchallenged through the open gate.

Lobby
The ceiling of this once-splendid chamber has collapsed, burying doors and stairwells under tons of debris. The elliptical scorches on the walls are unmistakable, even to a novice; but why would anyone fire magic missiles here, in the very midst of the Circle?
The tip of a stick is visible in the rubble.
Bundy appears at your feet.

>get stick
Taken.


After retrieving the rest of our stuff, it's back to the ...

Magick Shoppe
An old woman is eyeing you curiously.
Bundy appears at your feet.

>show stick to woman
[taking the stick out of the pack first]
The old woman scowls. "A Dispel stick. Neutralizes the effects of Magick. A used one like this goes for 10 zorkmids."

>show palimpsest to woman
[taking the palimpsest out of the pack first]
"Your basic scroll of Gating. Not as robust as Dimension Door, but serviceable. This used one's worth 10 zorkmids."

>show organ to woman
"A versatile instrument. Dangerous in the wrong hands. Used, it's worth about 30 zorkmids."

>show outline to woman
"Little more than a curiosity, at least on this Plane of existence. A used one like this goes for 20 zorkmids."


So that's a few new toys. Now, we have quite a few little treasures cluttering up inventory, so I think it's time to upgrade our weapon.

Weapon Shop
An old woman is eyeing you curiously.
Bundy appears at your feet.

>sell card
The old woman examines the bubble gum card critically. "Okay," she agrees, stashing it away in the display case and handing you 30 zorkmids in return.

>sell sextant
The old woamn examines the antique sextant critically. "Okay," she agrees, stashing it away in the display case and handing you 20 zorkmids in return.

>sell bottle
The old woman examines the wine bottle critically. "Okay," she agrees, stashing it away in the display case and handing you 5 zorkmids in return.
Bundy plays at your feet.

>sell crown
The old woman examines the tiny crown critically. "Okay," she agrees, stashing it away in the display case and handing you 20 zorkmids in return.

>sell doubloon
The old woman examines the gold doubloon critically. "Okay," she agrees, stashing it away in the display case and handing you 10 zorkmids in return.
Bundy looks up at you and mews.

>sell ornament
The old woman examines the silver ornament critically. "Okay," she agrees, stashing it away in the display case and handing you 2 zorkmids in return.

>sell Ishmael
The old woman examines Ishmael critically. "Okay," she agrees, stashing it away in the display case and handing you 10 zorkmids in return.
Bundy rubs up against your leg.

>buy sword
[with your zorkmids]
"Done," says the old woman, taking your zorkmids and setting the longsword on the display case.

>get sword
You take the longsword off the case.
Bundy mews sweetly.

>wield sword
You wield the longsword.


And since we have the best weapon in the game, might as well make it even better.

Skyway Entrance
A rusty dagger lies at your feet.
You see a scroll of Protection, a scroll of Mischief, an old horseshoe, a broken umbrella, an arrow, a whistle of Summoning and a scroll of Honing here.
Bundy appears at your feet.

>get honing
You take the scroll of Honing.

>read it
The meaning of the scroll of Honing is obscure. It seems to have something to do with weaponry. The word "Yquem" is inscribed across the top.
A fresh wind blows from a new direction.

>yquem
Poof! The scroll of Honing disappears in a spectral flash, and your longsword flickers with newfound power.


Finally, to find out what one of our newer toys does...

>squirp
As you speak the Word on the scroll of Gating, the walls, floor and ceiling begin to warp like a funhouse mirror.
Your eyes lose their focus momentarily.

Ethereal Plane Of Atrii, Above Seaport
The landscape is compressed into a flat optical plane, stretching away below your feet in every direction.
A closed curtain hangs suspended in midair.


Hey, that curtain looks familiar...

>x curtain
You see nothing special about the curtain.

>enter curtain
As you approach the curtain, your eyes momentarily lose their focus.

Boutique
An old woman is keeping an eye on you.
The old woman glances up as you appear. "Greetings," she says, frowning at the closed door.
The old woman putters around behind the display case.


Huh, the shop curtains connect to another dimension. But there's probably more to the Ethereal Planes than just that, so...

>undo
[UNDO completed.]

Ethereal Plane Of Atrii, Above Seaport
The landscape is compressed into a flat optical plane, stretching away below your feet in every direction.
A closed curtain hangs suspended in midair.

>s
The local geometry does not extend in that direction.

>n
The space before you flexes in on itself, twists sideways and reopens into a vague outline, stretched across your path like the skin of a drum.


A vague outline? That reminds me, the vague outline in inventory was hinted to be something else on another Plane...

>i
You're carrying a longsword (wielded), a scroll of Gating, a wand of Levitation, a cane of Sayonara, a lantern, a rod of Annihilation, a hurdy-gurdy and a phase blade.
You're also carrying a pack. Inside the pack you see a Dispel stick, a staff of Eversion and a vial.
You're wearing the Amulet of Bok and a ring of Shielding.
You have 24 zorkmids.

>x phase blade
The sharp blade blazes in a rainbow of anticipation.
The vague outline quivers nervously.

>hit outline with phase blade
Whoosh! The phase blade hums with Magick as it slashes effortlessly through the vague outline. The torn edges recoil in agony, twist inside out and vanish in a toroid of collapsing geometry, leaving you with a clear path and a headache.
[Your experience just went up. You have achieved the rank of Level 4 Male Peasant.]

>n
Ethereal Plane Of Atrii, Above Fields
The thunderclouds are compressed into a flat optical plane, stretching away below your feet in every direction.
A group of Implementors is seated around a food-laden table, playing catch with a coconut.
One of the Implementors notices your arrival. "Company," he remarks with his mouth full.
A few of the others glance down at you.

>x implementors
A marketing nymph appears on your keyboard. "You'll find a drawing of the Implementors in your
Beyond Zork package. Bye!"
She disappears with a wink.




>x coconut
It's hard to see what all the fuss is about.
A tall bearded Implementor pitches the coconut across the table. "Isn't this the feeb who used the word 'barrels' a few moves ago?" he mutters, apparently referring to you. "Gimme another thunderbolt."

>s
"We didn't say you could leave yet," notes an Implementor dryly.

>z
Time passes.
A cheerful-looking Implementor catches the coconut and glares down at you with silent contempt.

>z
Time passes.
"Catch!" cries the cheerful-looking Implementor, lobbing the coconut high into the air.
"Got it." A loud-mouthed Implementor jumps out of his seat, steps backwards to grab the falling coconut... and plows directly into you.
Plop. The coconut skitters across the plane.

>get coconut
As you reach towards the coconut, a vortex of laughing darkness boils up from underfoot!
"More company," sighs the cheerful-looking Implementor.
You back away from the zone of darkness as it spreads across the Plane, reaching out with long black fingers, searching, searching...
Slurp! The coconut falls into the eye of the vortex and disappears, along with a stack of lunch meat and cutlery from the Implementors' table. Then, with a final chortle, the vortex draws itself together, turns sideways and flickers out of existence.
"Ur-grue?" asks the only woman Implementor.
"Ur-grue," nods another.

>z
Time passes.
"This is awkward," remarks a loudmouthed Implementor. "No telling what the ur-grue might do with the Coconut. He could crumble the foundations of reality. Plunge the world into a thousand years of darkness. We might even have to buy our own lunch!" The other Implementors gasp. "And it's all
his fault," he adds, pointing at you with a drumstick.

>z
Time passes.
"So," sighs another Implementor, toying with his sunglasses. "The Coconut is gone. Stolen. Any volunteers to get it back?"
One by one, the Implementors turn to look at you.
"I'd say it's unanimous," smiles the cheerful-looking Implementor.

>z
Time passes.
A mild-mannered Implementor empties his goblet of nectar with a gulp. "Here," he says, holding it out for you. "Carry this. It'll keep the thunderbolts off your back."

>get goblet
Your load is too heavy.


#!$%!

>z
Time passes.
"Here. Take this," urges the mild-mannered Implementor, holding out the goblet for you to take.

>get goblet
Your load is too heavy.
"Here. Take this," urges the mild-mannered Implementor, holding out the goblet for you to take.

>z
Time passes.
"I really must insist that you take this goblet," repeats the mild-mannered Implementor.

>z
Time passes.
"I don't think he's going to accept the goblet," sighs the mild-mannered Implementor.
"Of course he will," smiles the tall, bearded Implementor, forcing it into your hands. "See?"
Your eyes lose their focus momentarily.

Edge of Storms
Gray fields extend to the west as far as you can see, under a sky black with thunderclouds.
A billboard stands in a patch of weeds.
The goblet clatters to the ground.

>get goblet
You pick up the goblet.

>x goblet
Despite a sticky coating on the inside, the goblet gleams with the lustre of pure gold.

>drink nectar
Few indeed are those lucky enough to taste the nectar of the Implementors.
[Your luck just went up.]
(+15)

Well, now we have a Quest. And that seems like a good place to call it for this update.

>stats
Gladstone Gander/Level 4 Male Peasant
EN:39 ST:22 DX:17 IQ:21 CM:23 LK:80 AC:01


Inventory:
a longsword (wielded)
a goblet
a scroll of Gating
a wand of Levitation (10z)
a cane of Sayonara (10z; teleporation)
a lantern (2z)
a rod of Annihilation (10z; death)
a vague outline (20z; phase blade)
a pack (worn)
- a Dispel stick (10z)
- a staff of Eversion (10z; turns things inside out)
- a vial (4z; holy water)
the Amulet of Bok (worn; 9z; super-strength)
a ring of Shielding (worn; 50z; magical)
24 zorkmids

A friendly truffle-hunting minx is following Gladstone almost everywhere. And we could likely find another truffle, but they don't last long after being dug up.

Stashed items:
a rusty dagger (5z)
a scroll of Protection (5z; Yabba; enchant armor)
a scroll of Mischief (1z; Blarn; something about yard improvements?)
an old horseshoe (2z; wards ill luck)
a broken umbrella (0z)
an arrow (2z)
a whistle of Summoning (10z)
a hurdy-gurdy (30z; Sense Organ)

For sale:
a cloak (30z; enchanted?)
a tunic (20z)
a scale mail (60z)
a plate mail (200z)
a potion of Forgetfulness (24z)
a potion of Might
a potion of Death (24z)
a rabbit's foot (5z; wards ill luck)
an hourglass (1000z; relic of ancient Pheebor)
a silver scabbard (80z; enchanted?)
a battleaxe (40z)
a sword

Puzzles:
  • Dangerous lightning storms in the Fields of Frotzen.
  • A locked stable stall with a unicorn and saddle inside.
  • Zeno's Bridge.
  • Deal with the cruel puppet.
  • Deal with the monkey grinder.
  • Pool of Eternal Youth.
  • A baby hungus in quicksand, and its mother.
  • Deal with the crocodile.
  • Deal with the bloodworm.
  • A crocodile-shaped idol with a big jewel in its maw.
  • A friendly pterodactyl.
  • Deal with the Christmas tree monsters.
  • A distant mountain castle.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 04-28-2016, 01:19 PM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is online now
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 30,595
Default

So glad this is back! Bummed I have to reread the entire thread so that I understand what is going on!
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 04-30-2016, 08:20 PM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schep View Post
A tall bearded Implementor pitches the coconut across the table. "Isn't this the feeb who used the word 'barrels' a few moves ago?" he mutters, apparently referring to you. "Gimme another thunderbolt."
I'm guessing that this is what Sky Render was referring to here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Now I'm even more curious since one of the features of the game will, if you never mistype anything, reference your messing with a giant onion...
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 05-02-2016, 02:42 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran042 View Post
I'm guessing that this is what Sky Render was referring to here?
Yes, looking at the code, the possible lines for the Implementor there are
  1. Isn't this the feeb who used the word '<word>' a few moves ago?
  2. Isn't this the feeb who bought that stupid onion a few moves ago?
  3. Isn't this the feeb who opened that mailbox a few moves ago?

where <word> is something you typed that the game didn't understand. In my defense, the barrels were right there in one of the room descriptions in the kitchen basement.

I've never seen the "mailbox" one, but I suppose it would come up if you never buy the onion and never use an unrecognized or typo-ed word. It's assuming you played Zork I and opened that mailbox, I guess?
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 05-16-2016, 06:49 PM
schep schep is offline
Level 2 Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 268
Default

The Implementor said the goblet would take care of a lightning problem, so it's time to explore the Fields of Frotzen. We left off at...

Edge of Storms
Gray fields extend to the west as far as you can see, under a sky black with thunderclouds.
A billboard stands in a patch of weeds.

>w
Kerblam! Forks of lightning dance across your path, and the clouds boom with laughter. But the goblet emits an answering flash, and the threat from the sky subsides.
As you set out across the field, the colors around you seem to smudge and fade. Soon the entire landscape is rendered in shades of gray.

The Gray Fields of Frotzen
Gray tracts of windswept grass sway to and fro under the dark, stormy sky. Corbies are circling in tight menacing circles overhead.
A weatherbeaten scarecrow stands in a patch of dead corn, its gray rags flapping in the wind.
You can hear corbies overhead, screeching with anger.

>nw
The Gray Fields of Frotzen
A sky black with thunderclouds looms over gray acres of windswept grass. A flock of corbies is circling in tight, menacing circles overhead.
A four-leaf clover is growing at your feet.
Corbies circle overhead, squawking with rage.

>take clover
Your hands are full.
Corbies circle low overhead, croaking with fury.
A butterfly flutters into view from the northeast.

>put levitation in pack
You put the wand of Levitation in the pack.
You can hear corbies overhead, screeching with anger.

>take clover
Taken.
Corbies swoop low overhead, squawking with rage.

>ne
The Gray Fields of Frotzen
Gray hills of grass sweep back and forth in the storm-driven wind. Corbies are circling in tight, menacing circles overhead.
The gray rags of another scarecrow flap uselessly in a dead patch of corn.
Corbies dive and swoop overhead, croaking with fury.

>w
The Gray Fields of Frotzen
The windblown grass stretches in every direction as far as you can see. A flock of corbies is circling a point on the ground not far to the north.
A gilt-edged scroll is blowing against a clump of grass.
Corbies dive and swoop overhead, screeching with anger.

>put clover in pack
You put the four-leaf clover in the pack.
Corbies squawk with rage overhead.

>get scroll
Taken.
You can hear corbies overhead, croaking with fury.

>read it
The meaning of the gilt-edged scroll is obscure. It seems to have something to do with transportation. Strange, flowing runes are inscribed across the top; you could probably understand them if you'd studied harder at school.
Corbies swoop low overhead, screeching with anger.

>n
A screeching wall of corbies blocks the way.
You can hear corbies overhead, squawking with rage.




>attack corbies
[with the longsword]
The corbies flutter out of your reach.
You can hear corbies overhead, croaking with fury.

>sw
The Gray Fields of Frotzen
Flashes of lightning light your path between the barren rocks and gray patches of grass. A flock of corbies is circling in tight, menacing circles overhead.
A patch of corn is flourishing nearby, presided over by a third scarecrow in gray rags.
Corbies circle overhead, screeching with fear.

>e
The Gray Fields of Frotzen
A butterfly is fluttering around your head.
Corbies swoop overhead, squawking with rage.

>x butterfly
The butterfly is almost as big as your hand, and dappled with splotches of gray.
You can hear corbies overhead, croaking with fury.
The butterfly alights on the rim of the goblet.

>sw
The Gray Fields of Frotzen
The landscape is mottled with rocky terrain and windswept tracts of gray grass. A flock of corbies is circling in tight, menacing circles overhead.
Corbies screech with anger overhead.

>w
Color slowly returns to the landscape.

Intersection

>x butterfly
The butterfly is almost as big as your hand, and dappled with splotches of bright color.
The butterfly explores the rim of the goblet.

>se
Mizniaport
Bundy appears at your feet.

>n
Boutique
An old woman is eyeing you curiously.
Bundy appears at your feet.
The butterfly slowly opens and closes its wings.

>show goblet to woman
The old woman glances at the goblet. "Can't tell you much about this here," she mutters. "Bet the Magick Shoppe in Gurth City would know something though."


Okay, fine...

Magick Shoppe
An old woman is keeping an eye on you.
Bundy appears at your feet.
The butterfly explores the rim of the goblet.

>show goblet to woman
The old woman turns pale, and lowers her voice to a barely audible whisper. "The Jukes," she hisses, and thunder rumbles outside. "Beware! for its Name incurs the wrath of the Implementors. This used one's worth 50 zorkmids."

>show gilt-edged scroll to woman
"Behold! A scroll of Recall. Just the thing for emergencies. Used, it's worth about 5 zorkmids."

>show clover to woman
"A charm to ward off ill luck. This used one's worth 5 zorkmids."


Now, how to deal with those corbies, or maybe something else on our list of puzzles?

>stats
Gladstone Gander/Level 4 Male Peasant
EN:39 ST:22 DX:17 IQ:21 CM:23 LK:80 AC:01


Inventory:
a longsword (wielded)
a scroll of Recall (5z)
the Chalice of Jukes (50z; control lightning)
- with a butterfly resting on the rim
a scroll of Gating (10z)
a cane of Sayonara (10z; teleporation)
a lantern (2z)
a rod of Annihilation (10z; death)
a vague outline (20z; phase blade)
a pack (worn)
- a four-leaf clover (5z; wards ill luck)
- a wand of Levitation (10z)
- a Dispel stick (10z)
- a staff of Eversion (10z; turns things inside out)
- a vial (4z; holy water)
the Amulet of Bok (worn; 9z; super-strength)
a ring of Shielding (worn; 50z; magical)
24 zorkmids

A friendly truffle-hunting minx is following Gladstone almost everywhere. And we could likely find another truffle, but they don't last long after being dug up.

Stashed items:
a rusty dagger (5z)
a scroll of Protection (5z; Yabba; enchant armor)
a scroll of Mischief (1z; Blarn; something about yard improvements?)
an old horseshoe (2z; wards ill luck)
a broken umbrella (0z)
an arrow (2z)
a whistle of Summoning (10z)
a hurdy-gurdy (30z; Sense Organ)

For sale:
a cloak (30z; enchanted?)
a tunic (20z)
a scale mail (60z)
a plate mail (200z)
a potion of Forgetfulness (24z)
a potion of Might
a potion of Death (24z)
a rabbit's foot (5z; wards ill luck)
an hourglass (1000z; relic of ancient Pheebor)
a silver scabbard (80z; enchanted?)
a battleaxe (40z)
a sword

Puzzles:
  • Dangerous lightning storms in the Fields of Frotzen.
  • A locked stable stall with a unicorn and saddle inside.
  • Zeno's Bridge.
  • Deal with the cruel puppet.
  • Deal with the monkey grinder.
  • Pool of Eternal Youth.
  • A baby hungus in quicksand, and its mother.
  • Deal with the crocodile.
  • Deal with the bloodworm.
  • A crocodile-shaped idol with a big jewel in its maw.
  • A friendly pterodactyl.
  • Deal with the Christmas tree monsters.
  • A distant mountain castle.
  • Deal with the corbies.
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 05-17-2016, 07:43 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schep View Post
>show goblet to woman
The old woman turns pale, and lowers her voice to a barely audible whisper. "The Jukes," she hisses, and thunder rumbles outside. "Beware! for its Name incurs the wrath of the Implementors. This used one's worth 50 zorkmids."
Now I kind of want to see what happens if you say its name out loud...
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 05-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 14,652
Default

Zap the corbies with juke lightning!
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 06-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Flitchard Flitchard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 80
Default

That poor baby hungus.... Why not try levitating it out of that quicksnd?? Maybe the mother would be grateful??
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 10-13-2016, 08:52 PM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is online now
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 30,595
Default

On hiatus
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 03-15-2017, 11:59 AM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is online now
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 30,595
Default

abandoned
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beyond zork , infocom

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007