The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 10-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Longplays usually have no commentary at all, it's just someone going through the whole thing (often in one sitting).
Huh, I've not heard of this term before either. I usually search for "silent let's play" with mixed results.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2017, 02:09 AM
Come, noble knights!

Nothing against the good people who put their time and effort into LPing these games, but when it comes to videos I usually prefer Longplays over Let's Plays 'cuz more often than not I enjoy footage of a game with somebody talking over it about as much as somebody backseat gaming when I'm playing something.

I'm cool with text LPs, though. Love to take 'em at my own pace.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Nothing against the good people who put their time and effort into LPing these games, but when it comes to videos I usually prefer Longplays over Let's Plays 'cuz more often than not I enjoy footage of a game with somebody talking over it about as much as somebody backseat gaming when I'm playing something.
When I spend time with a game I want to learn about it. I can do that by playing it or watching a Let's Play but not so much by watching a Long Play.

I would agree that a game's audio is a big part of the experience, so when I'm not watching videos I'm often listening to soundtracks of games I haven't played.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:51 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

On the occasions where I made a video, I usually leave all the commentary in annotations. That way you can just turn them off.

(I have not made any video LPs with any commentary since YouTube removed annotations as a feature of videos.)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Lotus Prince certainly appreciated the aesthetic of Child of Eden, but he got especially worked up when he beat the challenge mode.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

I find a good Let's Play is more about the player than the game. I'll watch just about anything from UnPlayedAThing, SuperGreatFriend, or Voidburger.

UnPlayedAThing has this tack for being informative without being dry, and plays stuff you probably won't see elsewhere, like every single Space Harrier, Todd McFarlane's reimagining of the New Testament: Dark Savior, and Aquanauts Hidden Holiday.

SuperGreatFriend's often incredulous and conspiratorial tone is perfect for the often ridiculous and quirky games he plays like Deadly Premonition, Illbleed, Shenmue, and Ring: Terror's Realm.

Voidburger is just super cool in general with the definitive LPs of Silent Hill 2 and the PS2 Nightmare Before Christmas game. And loads of other stuff.

EDIT: Oh yeah, ManyATrueNerd is basically the one-stop-shop for Fallout games. He has three, THREE different runs of Fallout New Vegas, and they're all amazing: No kills, kill everything, and a never heal ever run. It's just a great experience to see someone so familiar with a game push it to its limits like that. And that's just his New Vegas stuff.