The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 05-24-2018, 03:20 PM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Been looking into it a bit myself and couldn't find any reference to volunteering either - the text says that they were completely dedicated to being both assistants and test subjects, as Dracula said.

Maybe the fantranslator/s confused either the "completely dedicated" or the "test subjects" parts (it has this kanji "", that I just learned checking this out, complicating things), or they didn't have enough space and that's the compromise option they went with - maybe implying that they volunteered to help in exchange to being able to learn more about their own mysterious abilities as test subjects yada yada.

Other than that,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
Not to create more work, but I've been wondering: how good is the fan translation of the narration? I'm not sure if what's on the box would be exactly the same as the in game text they would have been translating, of course. I feel like the SMS version mostly reads better, particularly "Hang in there, Sis. I'll save you." versus "Cecile, I'll certainly save you...". At a guess, I'd assume the latter is a more literal translation and the former more a localisation using an idiom that I assume is not present in Japanese.
yeah, as you thought the fantranslation is quite literal (she does literally say "Cecile, I'll certainly save you"), whereas the SMS one is more of an adaptation, making it sound more natural in English.

Except for that "voluntary" thing, the fantranslation seems correct to me.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:31 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

I often like the way English that's been literally translated from Japanese sounds, but I think the SMS translators had the right idea in making something that sounds natural to English-speaking ears.

(Incidentally, that was my approach with "Who the heck are you?," since something more literal, like "Whoooo are you?", doesn't quite carry the same silly weight...but I'm still a learner, scarcely a master)

((Thanks for asking these language questions, Yimothy, it's a good exercise for me!))
Old 05-25-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I often like the way English that's been literally translated from Japanese sounds, but I think the SMS translators had the right idea in making something that sounds natural to English-speaking ears.

(Incidentally, that was my approach with "Who the heck are you?," since something more literal, like "Whoooo are you?", doesn't quite carry the same silly weight...but I'm still a learner, scarcely a master)
Oooh, I see. I am more of the "convey the original meaning as close as possible" fantranslation mentality, so I didn't catch you were trying to adapt.

It's good to have both points of view for contrast, though!

Quote:
((Thanks for asking these language questions, Yimothy, it's a good exercise for me!))
Same here!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:53 AM
Meal break

Default Let's Play World 2 - Lava Zone

The moment of truth: does my save file work?

It does!

Here's Hydro-wave at level 1. Short range, one shot.

If you haven't figured out how to run, this is as far as you get to go in this game.

The enemy drops a teleport power-up. Since I already have that ability, that's not much use to me.

I compare Hydro-wave and Psy-cannon. The former kills these guys in one shot, the latter takes several, despite being powered up. I'll be sticking with Hydro-wave for the rest of the level. Also of note in this gif: both horizontal and vertical scrolling, but only one at a time. It seems to lock in when I reach the middle platform - I'd expect it to scroll left when Lucia approaches that side of the screen, but it doesn't. I assume scrolling both ways at once is beyond the MSX2's capabilities, or perhaps would be too processing-intensive to implement.

Heading down, Lucia gets an always-welcome Barrier upgrade, and faces something new - two options for how to proceed (the SMS version has a couple of optional side areas, but you go into them, get them done, and carry on with the main path). I take the lower door.

It's a midboss, which goes down fairly easily and drops yet another Teleport upgrade.

The next room resembles one in the SMS version of this level: a series of platforms over lava with some enemies.

The animation on these mini-volcanos is a lot more impressive in this version. I attempt to attack it, but Lucia's shots are blocked by the ground. Maybe if I hadn't had her duck they would have connected.

There's a tricky jump up top, which I fail.

This is another room that was replicated in the Sega version. I really like the way the moving rocks interact with Lucia's movements here.

Another midboss, and another Teleport. What's the point of this? It doesn't take you all the way back in this version, and the enemies and powerups don't seem to repeat, so I don't see the benefit.

The next room has some tricky gaps in the floor.

The short ones can be skipped over if Lucia is running.

At the end is another fork in the path: A door at the bottom and a ladder upwards. I take the high road, leading to a short vertical chamber. The two enemies at the upper right drop a full health and a full ESP refill between them, which is nice. The long corridor at the top has three exits, at the top left, top middle, and lower right. I take the top left, but before I do:

One of the enemies drops an hourglass, which freezes all other enemies for a little while. Anyway, through the top left door...

The boss, Sidekick (AKA Lava King), looks a little closer to the concept art I posted in the SMS LP than it did in that version. The fight is basically the same: it shoots out its stuff, then moves up and down twice. Lucia can only hit it on the belly or the head, so she either has to get on top of the beam or hit it when it moves down.

I'm finding it pretty hard to get on top of the beam, and even when I do it's easy to get caught out by Hydro-wave's short range and limited vertical coverage (as in the second image here). I like how landing a hit makes it look like a Speccy game.

I eventually manage a good position and lay on some damage. This should all be over soon...

And it is, though not in the way I wanted. Whoops.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:57 AM
Meal break

On the plus side, this gives me the chance to try the other paths through the level. At the first choice, I take the upper door this time:

It leads to a mini-volcano and a mini-flame head. I kill them in the wrong order, wasting the kill-everything drop from the flame head on an empty room.

In the next room Lucia has to avoid falling lava drops.

She traverses to the left, down, and over to the right. The room after that appears to be a dead end? How do I cross this lava?

False alarm. There are floating blocks (otherwise it would have been a job for Barrier). An enemy here drops an upgrade for the Psy-cannon, which I want badly enough to get killed in the lava trying to reach it. Whoops.

This time I kill the head first, allowing me to blow up the volcano.

Again the power-up causes me trouble. Plus, it disappears very soon after appearing! They didn't do that on SMS.

I'm not doing well today.

I kill the flame head again, but this time it drops points instead of a bomb. I guess these things are somewhat randomised.

This time I play smart, going past the enemy without killing it until I'm on the same level as it. Finally I have level 3 Psy-cannon. Let's try it out!

Good stuff. I immediately switch back to Hydro-wave.

The paths converge in the next room, and I take the lower right exit instead of the ladder this time.

This guy was the mid-boss on SMS, though it's a bit more ghostly here, and really easy for some reason. It drops a star power-up that I take to be Explosion. I consider using it but decide to save my ESP.

The exit takes me back to the previous room, from where I can enter the ghost's chamber again. It doesn't reappear.

I go up and try out Explosion. It's really weak. I think it'll need a few more upgrades before it becomes the room-clearer it was on SMS. Incidentally, this room is actually different to what it was when I took the lower door at the first branch. On that path it was a single screen, on this one it scrolls upwards a bit.

The top left door in this room led to the boss last time. This time I take the lower right door.

I wind up in the lava corridor that I went through on my first pass of the level, but this time when I clear the moving platform room I reach the boss.

It's really hard to land a hit on this guy, maybe because the level one Hydro-wave only hits at middle height. Maybe I should have switched to the broader Psy-cannon.

I get there in the end, though. Phew! As on SMS, I pick up Burning Bullet.

Yes I want to save!

Here's the map again. I've added some ticks to the areas we've already been.

Next time:

Country of Ice.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Meal break

Default This is an ESP amplifier. Use it and read this bonus post!!

OK, let's take another shot at this with Talk Mode on:

Right off the bat we've got some text. I actually didn't notice this initially, but it happens again in the next stage so I went back and looked for it and here it is. It's easy to miss because of the platform it appears in. It was only clearly legible in this one frame where it had faded in but the platform was still dim. It also wraps off the left edge of the screen, with the first character appearing on the right. I took another look at my hiragana tables:

が ばり まっす!
Ga Bari Massu!

I think this is Ganbarimasu with the ん cut off by the edge of the screen, meaning "I'll do my best!". Good attitude, Lucia.

I thought there might be something for changing attacks, but I guess not. I'll have to keep using the SMS version's names for them.

Activating Barrier is the same as before, but reactivating it gets something new:

ほいみぃ だよん
Hoimii Dayon

The first part maybe a phonetic "Heal me"? The second and fourth characters seem to be different versions of the same thing. I've found a website that says that the small ぃ is for foreign language sounds, but it's not very clear on how it works. Google translate gives this as "smile". The second word is the same as the last part of the first boss's speech, which from what's been said in the thread I'm taking as "duh..." or "of course" or something.

The barks for getting hit are the same as before. With all these teleports dropping, I decide to see what Lucia says when it's activated:

め が まわるう
Me Ga Mawaruu

I'm not sure about the last character here. う is the only one I can see that it looks like, but why is it so small? Anyway, I suspect め が is a phonetic english "Mega", and google translate gives まわる as "to go around" (with the う google calls it "to fight"), so I think this might be "Mega return", appropriate for the teleport back skill.

It only takes me back to the start of the room, though. Seriously, what is the point of this ability?

I try it again in the next room, and it takes Lucia back to the same place.

I didn't make this jump in the main run, so this gif is to show that I can do it.

Here's another teleport. If it gets more powerful with multiple pickups, it's now at level 4.

Still just goes back one room, though. If it took you back to the start and allowed exploration of other paths, I could see the point of it, but it doesn't.

The room with the ghost has a flame head this time, and I get a Hydro-wave power up instead of Explosion. I think this is because I'm on the lower path from the first branch instead of the upper. Hydro-wave is now doubled and goes further than before. Nice!

Heading up again, I try standing on an enemy while it's frozen this time, which works, then go through the middle door (which I didn't try on the main run).

It leads me to this room, which is reached earlier in the level when you take the upper door near the start.

On this path I get another Hydro-wave upgrade, which doesn't seem to actually make any difference. In the lower right of this image I've put from top to bottom the level one Hydro-wave, level two, and level three. Two and three don't seem any different from each other.

Here's the boss!

1st Panel:
あなたは だあれ?
Anataha daare

This is the same as the first boss. A silly "Who are you?", I'm told.

2nd Panel:
わたしのなまえは
Watashinonamaeha

Apparently this is "My name is", and should be broken up to "Watashi no namae wa", even though the table says that は is "ha", not "wa". Anyway, it certainly makes sense in the context.

3rd Panel:
サイドキック なんです.
Saidokikku Nandesu.

I think the first part is what has been given in the thread (and on the back of the poster in the bonus post for the MSX intro) as "Sidekick". Nan desu I'm having trouble really getting a grip on, but it seems like the standard way to answer the question "What is your name" is "Watashi no namae wa <name> desu", and the "Nan" makes it more emphatic. So this line plus the previous is "My name is Sidekick!". I think the little circle at the end is a period, not sure why that's there.

It's still hard to hit. I think on SMS there were fewer patterns that would hit you if you stood near Sidekick's feet, making it much easier.

I get a good position and it's over.

ラツキー
Ratsukii !

I haven't figured this one out. Searching google for it turned up a key duplication place by this name, so maybe it's "Let's Key!" in reference to unlocking a new ability?

That's it for today. Thanks in advance for the upcoming corrections to my translations!
Old 05-25-2018, 10:25 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Talk Time Round 2!

Some of these you were right on the money with. Let's check 'em out.

You got the characters correct with "Hoimii Dayon." The little "い" just indicates taht her vowel is trailing off. "Hoimi" is the basic healing spell in Dragon Quest, which would be common knowledge for a Japanese gamer. That might be what we're seeing here.

I think what she's actually saying here is, "My eyes are spinning..." as "Me" can mean "eye" and "ga" is the topic identifier. The little "う" is again just to note that she's trailing off.

You got all the boss text exactly right.

The little "tsu" doubles the consonant following it. She's saying "LUCKY!" in English.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Meal break

Quote:
The little "tsu" doubles the consonant following it. She's saying "LUCKY!" in English.
Im disappointed in myself on this, because I initially had my transcription of Sidekick with a tsu in the middle of kick before I realised the error and corrected it. Shame to catch it there and miss it in the next one.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:33 AM

Why.... why does it look like it's wearing a mask? XDDD

On the boss names thing, it's actually kinda odd... You see, in the design documents they have a name and a word in parenthesis, I assumed it is the type, species... what they are.
But then in the back of the MSX poster they have slightly different names, and then they give you a different name in the MSX dialog, and the 2nd boss gives you the word between parenthesis (Sidekick) as his name, so by now it's hard to say what's what anymore....

Lemme put together what we have for each in here, and let's see if we can reach a conclusion....

First Boss:
Second Boss:
I don't think they had it clear at Hertz themselves either... XD

One thing is clear: It is truly sad being called just "Sidekick" when you're friggin' Living Lava, though.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:18 AM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I still lose it at the idea that one boss introduces himself as
I'M SUPER CHIMERA G ...that's right!
Old 06-03-2018, 08:32 AM
Meal break

Default Let's Play World 3 - Country of Ice

World 3 starts off almost identically to Round 3 in the SMS version.

Same disintegrating platforms.

Here's the flame attack, Burning Bullet. It's got quite a range on it.

I get another boost for my Psy-cannon. It was a full-height yellow wave, where will this take it?

Into the green! It's lost height, but is presumably more powerful. I made this gif the same width as the Burning Bullet one - note that the Psy-cannon doesn't go nearly as far as that attack.

Heading back along the upper path nets Lucia the next level of Burning Bullet. This was in the same place on SMS, but just sitting there like the life restore is instead of being dropped by the enemy.

Here's the powered up attack.

The level continues much like on SMS, with Lucia using Hydro-wave to freeze platforms to proceed.

Despite being at a much higher level, Psy-cannon takes way more hits to kill these enemies than Burning Bullet does. In fact everything in the level so far goes down in one hit to BB, even before getting it to level 2. On SMS, one of these roper enemies took ten hits at level one.

I get another BB power-up, which makes no visible difference to the weapon, and reach the end of the area. On SMS, there was a ladder upwards here, but on MSX the screen scrolls down.

I think vertical scrolling makes it much harder to follow the screenshots. Anyway, after dropping down the hole Lucia is faced with two paths forwards. She takes the upper path.

Which leads to this midboss, the same one as on SMS. It drops another Teleport upgrade (or Mega Spin, as I'm choosing to interpret what Lucia says in talk mode despite Drac's advice to the contrary). So far as I'm aware, none of these since the first has made any difference to how the power works.

The next room combines slippery, disintegrating, and spiked floors to make a tricky little sequence. I spend far too long trying to kill these floating jellies (a lot longer than the length of the gif) than I should have.

Note the difference in HP and ESP between the gif above and the first screenshot here. I should have just turned on Barrier and run through these enemies, then shot at them from the other side to check if they dropped anything good. I carry on, continuing to lose health, and pick up another Explosion power up. This room exists in the SMS version, with I think pretty much the same layout, but Lucia enters it from the left there.

I carry on and the game grants me the chance to go back and try the other path through the level. Turns out the ropers' shots will cancel out Lucia's, so I wasn't able to shoot this one once it started firing on me.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:34 AM
Meal break

OK, back to it. I get the Psy-cannon upgrade again, now for the Burning Bullet I just have to jump up to the left... looks like I've overshot a little in the last panel... just have to go back...

Lucia gives it a try and shakes her head. I can't jump high enough to go back, so that power up is lost to this run.

As is this one. On SMS they stick around unless you scroll them offscreen, but on MSX they don't last very long at all. I spend too long fumbling around and failing to run, and it's gone.

This time I'll try the lower path.

I face the same midboss, but in a nicer room. With my underpowered Burning Bullet it takes four hits to kill instead of three, but it drops another Psy-cannon upgrade, much better than the Mega Spin.

Level 5 Psy-cannon is the same as level 2, but green.

Lucia gets her revenge on the roper that killed her last time, and ほいみぃ だよんs her way back to reasonable health.

I spend quite a while trying to build some stairs here. Annoyingly, Lucia can't slide under the lower block, despite being only two tiles high when ducking and the block being the third tile above the ground.

Eventually Lucia makes it up there, and kills the roper for no benefit. Then she takes the lower exit of three, meaning all my efforts to climb up were wasted.

This leads to a large vertical room with no enemies aside from the floor, which manages to land a hit. Lucia has to go down and up the ladders and freeze a few blocks to make platforms to reach the door at the upper left.

Another one of these guys. Lucia gets another Psy-cannon upgrade out of it, granting her a full-height green wave.

This looks simple enough...

Yup. Down I go. A chance to get the power-ups I missed and try the other paths!

This time I get everything, manage to maintain a reasonable HP total, and take the upper path at the second fork.

This leads to a straightforward enemy corridor with a welcome Barrier upgrade.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:37 AM
Meal break

At the end of the corridor is the same midboss as on the lower path, with the same Psy-cannon upgrade.

I do a bit better against the enemies that killed me last time, and carry on. In the last shot I've just picked up a large ESP refill and done a little bit of Excharging. Ideally I'd keep Excharging to fill my HP before picking up the other ESP refill, but I wanted to get it before it disappeared so I didn't.

I have to clear these blocks from the ladder in order to proceed here. Stepping sideways off a ladder is a bit more fiddly in this version than on SMS. I think when the ladder has dark blue sides like this one Lucia can walk off it, and when they're pale blue she can't, but I haven't really figured it out for sure. Plus the colours would vary by stage probably.

I carry on. The path forward over the disintegrating blocks looks a bit dangerous...

But it's not.

The background in the first panel here I think is quite pretty. Not sure if it's intended to suggest a frozen forest in the distance (I think we're in a cave, so probably not), but it does to me. I Excharge up to full health, and get an ESP restore by crossing over 70,000 points, so I'm at full HP and very nearly full ESP. In the last panel there's a path upwards to a ladder...

Which I fail to take. Oh well. I'll get another shot in Talk Mode.

There's an upgrade to Hydro-wave just before the upcoming boss room.

I try it out (double shot!) building Lucia a bridge to get across, but she bypasses that with a running jump. The series of disintegrating platforms before the boss was retained in the SMS version. I switch to Burning Bullet and enter the chamber of...

Glacier! First thing I have to do here is switch back to Hydro-wave and build myself a path upwards. The pattern of freezable blocks is different to on SMS, and I once again fail to make anything useful on the first attempt.

I manage to fall back down and hit the stationary hazard in front of the boss.

I take a full blast from Glacier, but it's actually not that harmful.

Once I manage to make a path to a point from which I can land a hit, it's all over very quickly. Lucia gets Cooling Down for her troubles.

Yattaa! I save my game. Let's check out our progress:

We're getting there!

Next time:

The Forest Shrine/Cemetery (I think? Haven't gone past this screen yet).
Old 06-03-2018, 08:40 AM
Meal break

Let's translate!

んばり まっす
Nbari Massu

Ganbarimasu cut off by the edge of the screen, meaning "I'll do my best!", just like at the start of World 2 but with が missing instead of ん.

I try out the middle path at the second fork, since I didn't get to it in the main run. I spent ages melting blocks so I could jump to the upper platform, only to find that there's nothing up there. Ugh.

While I was up there I had Lucia try out Explosion.

ちゅどん
Chudon

I'm not having any luck with this one. Maybe an explosion sound effect? Sort of a kaboom equivalent?

I carry on. Note that my ESP is lower than before: I kept trying to blow up the roper until I ran out, and it was still alive. Anyway, this area has a whole lot of blocks to melt in order to proceed. It is the most annoying of the paths through the stage.

The Barrier power-up is nice, but there was also one in the less-annoying upper path.

I'm getting the hang of these fights.

This one's still got my number, though. Back to the start!

I manage to do just about everything wrong this time, missing the first Burning Bullet upgrade, taking the high path for the useless Mega Spin power-up at the first fork and the lower path with no Barrier power-up at the second. I do manage to kill my nemeses, though.

And I pull off this jump!

It leads me to this side room with a health restore I don't need, a Psy-cannon power-up that lands in a spot I can't reach, and a Hydro-wave power-up that I manage to get.

Along with the one on the main path. Talk Mode Lucia now has a full height Hydro-wave.

あなたは だあれ?
Anataha daare?
"Who are you?"

このわたしが
Kono watashi ga
"This is me"

ワールド 3 の ボ ス
Waarudo 3 no bo su

I think this is "World #3 Boss". Or, looking into why there's one hiragana symbol in all the katakana, the の is a possessive particle, making it "World 3's Boss". I forgot briefly that there was another panel and thought this was its entire name, which would have made it my favourite so far.

グレイウヤャャ
Gurei uyayaya

"Grey uyayaya"? I can't tell what the last two characters are supposed to be. My guess is they're an echo of the ya fading away, which might make it "Grey Uya", but what that means I don't know. I'm not totally confident of the big ヤ, either.

On the concept art I posted after the SMS level 3 the name is グレイシア ("Gureishia"), which Sensenic sensibly gave as "Glacier". Not sure why it's different here, but I think these lines should be read together as:

I am World 3's Boss: Glacier...er...er

Though with the echo it would sound more like "Glacia...a...a", I guess.

I have a pretty easy go of it this time.

やったあ !
Yattaa!

"I did it!"
Old 06-03-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Check out that lighting effect on the green guys! More neat assymetric sprite work!

Quote:

While I was up there I had Lucia try out Explosion.

ちゅどん
Chudon

I'm not having any luck with this one. Maybe an explosion sound effect? Sort of a kaboom equivalent?
Ayup!

I wasn't certain about this one, so I googled it up and, besides confirmation, I found this little bit of trivia, where it seems it is often (mis-)attributed to Rumiko Takahashi, who used it in Urusei Yatsura, but it was actually written first in another manga - Shin Tamura's Dekin Boy ("The boy who can't")

Quote:
グレイウヤャャ
Gurei uyayaya

"Grey uyayaya"? I can't tell what the last two characters are supposed to be. My guess is they're an echo of the ya fading away, which might make it "Grey Uya", but what that means I don't know. I'm not totally confident of the big ヤ, either.

On the concept art I posted after the SMS level 3 the name is グレイシア ("Gureishia"), which Sensenic sensibly gave as "Glacier". Not sure why it's different here, but I think these lines should be read together as:

I am World 3's Boss: Glacier...er...er

Though with the echo it would sound more like "Glacia...a...a", I guess.
You got it right, and I think the answer to what happened here is as simple as a typo: at that lower resolution the katakana characters シ (shi) & ウ (u) can be rather similar - if you look at it that ウ looks like a curve in the lower right with 2 dots in the upper left, same as シ (or ツ (tsu), for that matter, which is the one that usually gets mixed with it).
Old 06-06-2018, 08:24 AM
Meal break

I think you might have quoted the wrong gif, Sensenic, but you're right about the green guys. Good catch! Thanks for finding that trivia, too. I would not have managed that on my own. And I think you're right about シ and ウ. Now that you've pointed it out, it's obvious that the bolded pixel font character could be either one.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:22 AM
Meal break

Default Let's Play World 4 - Forest Cemetery

Here's World 4. I haven't got a name for this world, so I made one up. There are (I think) graves, skulls, and skeletons in this stage, so Forest Cemetery makes sense to me. I also considered "Forest Ruins", "Forest Shrine", "Haunted Forest", and "Spooky Forest".

The game switches you back to Psy-cannon when you load, so here it is taking out the first two enemies of the stage. Even at this green power level, it's taking forever. I miss out on a Burning Bullet power up because it takes me too long to kill the moth.

Here's Lucia's new attack ability, Cooling Down.

And here it is in action. Unlike on SMS, the frozen enemy can be stood upon, and even at level 1 the effect lasts long enough to be useful.

That said, if I freeze and bypass enemies instead of killing them, they won't drop any power ups, so I abandon pacifism and kill this snake. It doesn't drop anything. Moving forwards I reach an apparent dead end.

The tree branches block my progress.

Luckily, Burning Bullet solves this problem for me. Take that, natural world!

It's also much more effective against the enemies than Psy-cannon was.

As in many games, the undead are weak to fire.

The promise of a Barrier upgrade lures me into a pit of life-sapping goo.

I get the power up, burn some more tree (luckily the game doesn't have a gravity system for unsupported branches), and carry on over a collapsing platform. Ahead is one of the familiar roper enemies from the Country of Ice.

! It disappears when attacked and reappears once I've gone past to start firing at Lucia. I take it out quickly, but if you try to run past then you'll have to dodge a lot of these projectiles.

I carry on and clear the first area. Unlike the past few levels, there are no branches to the path in World 4, or even optional side rooms that I could find.

Lucia fights a giant frog in a pit of toxic muck, scoring a Burning Bullet upgrade. It's got high, middle, and low coverage now. Then I Excharge back up to good health.

The next area has an enticing power up sitting amongst some suspicious greenery.

When the greenery is moving, it'll harm Lucia. Shooting the grey bit in the middle disables it, and scores enough points to tip me over 80,000, granting a partial ESP refill.

I get some handy health and ESP ups, taking Lucia back to peak condition.

I don't know what the point of this room is.

The next room has a midboss, this armoured lizard. Lucia only seems to be able to hit it when it's jumping. It drops a Cooling Down power up.

As seen here. It's the same as before, but goes further.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Meal break

There's another one of these strange plant machines.

And some cute collapsing mushrooms.

And some more power ups, for Barrier and Psy-cannon. Hopefully Psy-cannon will be useful again soon.

And then straight on through the stage. There are a fair number of HP and ESP restores here, so Lucia's in good shape. A lot of areas on the ground look like they might be hidden passages to side rooms, but so far as I can tell none of them are.

The next area has something different. Can I ride these heads?

I cannot. Instead, Lucia must burn away the branches before jumping to the platforms and across to safety.

There's just a snake over here.

There's another Lizardman and some cool statues in the next area. The room is a bit better suited to the fight and I take this one out quicker than the first, scoring an upgrade for the Psy-cannon, which is now white.

Here's something I noticed (you can see it in the gif above): the statue's eyes match the colour of Lucia's attack. Plus its stance kind of mirrors her attack pose.

The next room has another midboss, a giant fish. The water isn't toxic this time, but Lucia can't seem to hit it from there. It's pretty easy to stand on the platforms and hit it as it jumps up.

In case you missed it in the four frames of the above gif it was visible, here's the Cooling Down power up it dropped. I did miss noticing it when I was playing, so I didn't take a shot of that attack at level 3. Sorry gang!

Once again Lucia tunnels through a tree to proceed.

Here's the boss, Double Viper! It looks pretty cool, but its only attack is to fire moths at you. I use Barrier a few times at the start of the fight but can't be bothered to keep activating it. Dodge a bit, kill the moths, and attack when you can and it won't take long. Unlike earlier stages, it drops an HP refill, and I don't lose control of Lucia. What's on the next screen?

Ultra-sonic and the entrance to the Pyramid. And that's World 4 cleared! Let's check the map:

I'm not actually sure if the forest clearing here is supposed to represent this level. Maybe there's a later stage that better fits and I'll be moving this tick to the dense forest between the Country of Ice and the Pyramid. Speaking of which,

Next time:

Pyramid.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:30 AM
Meal break

んばり まっす!
Nbari Massu!

Once again Lucia's good attitude is cut off by the edge of the screen. I'm coming to suspect Talk Mode was thrown together in a hurry at the end of production.

I don't remember what I thought was notable enough about this fight against the fish to make a gif of it, but here it is. Maybe I wanted to show I could beat it without all the Barrier usage of the main run?

あなたは だあれ?
Anataha daare
Who are you?

ダブル バイパー
Daburu Baipaa To
Double Viper To

よばれています
Yobareteimasu
It has been called

Google translate tells me と could mean "when" or "and", and the last phrase could be "it is called" or "it has been called". Not sure how that helps me, but my bad translation of this scene:

Lucia: Who are you?
Boss: I have been called Double Viper

やったあ !
Yattaa!
I did it!

So far we have three "Yattaa!"s and one "Lucky!". I noticed that the one time I got "Lucky!" Lucia was low on HP, while all the Yattas were above 50%. Maybe that influences it?

Here's the concept art for this boss (this is the last of these that I have). The name is again spelled differently, and I'm pretty sure that this time it's not just because I've mistaken the pixel font character for a different character. I can't figure out the text on this image, so any help would be appreciated. Is there a better name for the stage on there? As in the other concept art images, there are a bunch of attacks shown here that do not feature in the game.

Lastly, here's the in-game map, along with the map from the ad for the game, and the map from the back of the box. The mountains I've taken to be the Lava Zone on the in-game map are not present on the other maps, and the muddy-looking area at the middle left is labelled "Lava Zone" in the ad, and is red instead of brown on the back of the box. I don't know what that's about.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:18 PM
クソゲーが好な人

The way Glacier introduces himself, このわたしが," is literally like saying "This I is," which is pretty pompous.

Double Viper is saying "I am called Double Viper," pretty much like you thought.

I don't immediately see anything about the stage's name. The boss's name is "Double Viper (Twin Head Wyvern)."
Old 06-07-2018, 03:26 PM

This level looks quite neat, with plenty of interesting visual or gameplay gimmicks (dat frog! the mushrooms! the pulsating plants) despite its short length, and it gives a nice touch of stage continuity with all those ruins and even some buildings that show up in the background.
Too bad it got cut from the SMS version.

Also, is it me or do those lizardmen bosses have particularly smooth animation? (except in their jump)

Quote:

Here's the concept art for this boss (this is the last of these that I have). The name is again spelled differently, and I'm pretty sure that this time it's not just because I've mistaken the pixel font character for a different character. I can't figure out the text on this image, so any help would be appreciated. Is there a better name for the stage on there? As in the other concept art images, there are a bunch of attacks shown here that do not feature in the game.
It's different, yes: in the design document "Viper"'s "Va" first syllable is written as "ヴァ" = "Va" whereas in the game it's simplfied to バ = "Ba", since the sounds are close enough (or maybe the small "a" was too hard to read in that font or sth).

The former is a rather recent construction of sorts forcing a "u" vowel to have a fricative sound, in the same way that U & V are similar letters (the former was derived from the latter), and with the small symbol to provide the vowel for the syllable - This kinda goes against the stablished rules for modifying syllables in hiragana and katakana, but it's the logically closest thing they had, I guess.
Traditionally, though, the "V" sound was just transliterated into the "b" sound (see f.ex. Love -> ラブ "Rabu"), and here you get to see both transliteration possibilities side to side - Neat for learning!

Quick stuff from the document, without scrutinizing small kanjis too much:
  • Stage's name is just "Jungle". Remember the KISS rule! XD
  • Left head was fire elemental and was supposed to shoot fire balls, which were supposed to keep burning in the floor? (because it's grass, you see) in the shape of advancing fire pillars?... if I'm reading this right, any way, too small to be sure.
  • Right head was water elemental and would shoot..... a "Sonic Beam", that did ESP damage. Another boss Lucia was supposed to take her new shot from.
  • Boss's big attack was a big fire cannon that it would announce by closing its big gaping mouth first

More naming inconsistencies - now the name is outside and the species between parentheses. Eh.

Last edited by Sensenic; 06-07-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: want typos? I got plenty - also quoted the wrong image! Again! >_<
Old 06-21-2018, 09:36 AM
Meal break

Default Let's Play World 5 - Pyramid

Here's Lucia at the start of World 5. It's a bit like the start of round four in the SMS version, but very grey.

Here's her new attack, Ultrasonic. Attentive readers may have noticed that something has changed since the last image:

The statue's eyes change colour to match Lucia's shots, just like in World 4. Anyway, that Levitation power up isn't going to grab itself, so let's get going:

Lucia has to break some bricks with Ultrasonic to move forwards. In the last panel, amidst all the grey, there's something new. It's easier to see in the gif:

Also featured: Me struggling to land a hit. Anyway, what's it do?

Like on SMS, these push Lucia upwards. Unlike on SMS, you don't hold jump to go up, it happens automatically.

I manage an easy hit.

I recognise these enemies from the SMS.

Not sure if they put out that much firepower there, though. I take my hits and move forwards. The grey blocks Lucia is running through in the third panel can be jumped to from below. The grey blocks she's shooting in the fourth panel will break to Ultrasonic. The grey blocks in the middle of the fourth panel will break as Lucia puts her weight on them. I feel that this level could have done with a bit of colour variation.

Ultrasonic is doing its part, at least. Getting the power-up from the last image takes it from a one tile high yellow wave to a three tile high green one.

These moving platforms (also grey) can be stood upon, but will cause injury when you touch them from the side or below.

As usual, faced with three options for how to proceed I choose wrong. No problem though, this is a perfect chance to try out Levitation:

Ah. Let's try that again:

やったあ !

At the bottom of this area is another branch: high road or low? Turns out it makes no difference, you come out high or low in the next room. I carry on through another grey corridor.

At the end is a lift to the next room. Oddly, Lucia appears at the top right of the room rather than coming up from below.

Getting the Ultrasonic takes that weapon from green to white. As I move forwards, I notice I'm about to die and excharge my way back to health.

The next room must have known what I was up to, and it gives me back some ESP.

I was so close to getting a seamless gif here, but it was not to be. These falling rocks are replaced with iron balls in the SMS version.

I make an attempt to fall through the floor in the third panel, but it seems it can't be done. The fourth panel stumps me: how can I proceed? It's too high to jump!

I waste some ESP levitating up before realising that it's a ladder. Can I get away with blaming this on how grey everything is?
Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Meal break

Heading down Lucia reaches a big blue door. The colour is almost shocking in this drab level.

It leads to a much-needed Levitation power up, and a corridor in which I get some ESP back and pick up another Barrier power up. I have no idea if these are still adding to that power or if it's already at max.

The magician midboss from the SMS is here as well. Its sprite changes after enough damage, which is always a nice touch.

As always, faced with three options to proceed I choose the one that goes straight to the bottom. As with Barrier, I don't know if I'm still getting benefit from Psy-cannon upgrades.

Moving forward I fall down a hole, leaving me well below the Cooling Down upgrade up above.

That's not a problem with Levitation, though. I even manage to dodge the falling rocks getting up there, which is not guaranteed when I'm in control.

The next room is kind enough to feature platforms I can jump through to get the power up.

Heading off the left edge brings me to the left edge of the next screen. It's disorienting! What happened to your consistency, Psycho World?

I'm stumped by this conveyor belt.

When I reach the next one (after another Cooling Down upgrade) I remember that Lucia can run.

I'm finding it hard to get enthused about these grey corridors. Perhaps you've noticed. Even with the statues to spice things up, the aesthetics of this stage are dull.

I reach another door, and the boss, not a moment too soon. Hey, is it talking to me? Is this talk mode?

セシル ヲ
Seshiru wo
Cecile o

"O" is a particle, which means we are beyond my understanding of the technical elements of language, but I think it means that Cecile is the direct object of the sentence, and I am hoping the next line will help me remember what that means (it will not).

Panel 1:
スクイタクバ
Sukuitakuba
Squirrel

I'm not confident of the バ, since it's the same character I had as ル above but with a ", but that combination doesn't seem to exist so I've gone with ba. I suspect google translate has it wrong here with "Squirrel". Someone help me out here, please.

Panel 2:
ワタシ ト
Watashi to
Me and

Panel 3:
タ タ カ エ
Ta-ta-ka-e
Fight!

Panel 4:

Panel 5:
タ タ カ エ
Ta-ta-ka-e
Fight!

So I take this whole sequence as:

Cecile <something>. Fight me! <pause> Fight!

I think there's room for improvement there. At a guess:

If you want Cecile back, fight me! <pause> Fight!

For all its big talk, this thing's a pushover. I'll break it down:

In the first panel it's doing ESP damage edit: Im accidentally using Explosion. Then I attempt to activate Barrier, but get confused by the boss pulling Lucia towards it. I thought I'd failed to activate the power select and was moving myself towards the boss, so I let go of jump, resulting in Lucia switching to Cooling Down instead of putting up Barrier. Turns out Cooling Down is a bit stronger than when I last used it (I picked up two power ups for it in the stage), and the boss appears to be weak to it, going down quickly. Lucky!

A cutscene! Lucia, not finding her sister, returns to the lab to find it empty...

A monster's attack leads her to a door she never noticed before...

After she pauses to remember who she's searching for, Lucia's ESP flares around her as she enters the secret door.

Yes, please! You might have noticed that this was not my favourite level of the game. It's totally linear like World 4, but without that stage's interesting forest theme. Instead, everything is grey and hard to distinguish. It's not actively bad, and it was nice to get some boss dialogue and cutscenes, but I'm happy to leave it behind.

Looks like we've all but cleared the map. I'm choosing to interpret the building at centre left as the lab, where Lucia is now.

Next time:

Sewer World

Last edited by Yimothy; 06-21-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:43 AM
Meal break

がんばり まっす!
Ganbari Massu!
I'll do my best!

Finally we get the whole thing in one piece.

ふゆうじゅつ
Fuyuujutsu

Trying to look this up got me a lot of Naruto on google. I guess "Jutsu" means technique or skill, and "Fuyuu"... dunno. I got results about some kind of sand levitation thing in Naruto, so I guess this means levitation technique?

In the second panel, I took the upper path at the first junction, confirming that it just leads to the upper entrance to the next room (plus it starts you in a location where you take an immediate hit, which is not great).

Here are the two forms of the midboss.

And where you can go if you don't fall down the hole in this area.

Panel 1:
ワタシル ワイヤード
Watashiru Waiyaado
I am Wired

I think its name is "Wired", not sure what the "ru" is about.

Panel 2:
セシル はここには いない
Seshiru Hakokoniha Inai
Cecile is not here

Panel 3:
よおおん
Yooon

I dunno what the deal is with this, or why the middle two characters are small. Maybe it's supposed to be the sound of the robot powering up?

Panel 4:
だれにもいって ないのに なぜ
Darenimoitte Nainoni Naze
I am not talking to anyone why

Panel 5:
トークモード
Tookumoodo Ga
Talk mode but

Panel 6:
ばれたんだ ろうか ?
Baretanda Rouka ?
Was it taken out?

Putting it together, I think it's saying:

I am Wired. Cecile is not here. <bzzvwhuum> It's Talk Mode but I am not talking to anyone. Why? Was it taken out?

I guess this might refer to it also talking in the regular mode, confusing the robot. I dunno, but I enjoyed this one.

ラッキー !
Rukkii!
Lucky!
Old 06-21-2018, 02:35 PM

Whoa whoa whoa, after such a low point, a literally grey, linear, incoherent stage, suddenly the twists!

Talk outside of talk mode! Cutscene with plot twists! (although it basically amounts to "all these stages you went through were for naught" XD )

We clearly already passed the lowest point, things can only get better from he...

Quote:
Next time:

Sewer World
...oh.

Quote:

Looks like we've all but cleared the map. I'm choosing to interpret the building at centre left as the lab, where Lucia is now.
That is one muddy laboratory, then. Do ESP's grow stronger in swamps or sth of the sort?

Anyway...
Talking Time! Part 1!

Quote:
I reach another door, and the boss, not a moment too soon. Hey, is it talking to me? Is this talk mode?

セシル ヲ
Seshiru wo
Cecile o

"O" is a particle, which means we are beyond my understanding of the technical elements of language, but I think it means that Cecile is the direct object of the sentence, and I am hoping the next line will help me remember what that means (it will not).

Panel 1:
スクイタクバ
Sukuitakuba
Squirrel

I'm not confident of the バ, since it's the same character I had as ル above but with a ", but that combination doesn't seem to exist so I've gone with ba. I suspect google translate has it wrong here with "Squirrel". Someone help me out here, please.

Panel 2:
ワタシ ト
Watashi to
Me and

Panel 3:
タ タ カ エ
Ta-ta-ka-e
Fight!

Panel 4:

Panel 5:
タ タ カ エ
Ta-ta-ka-e
Fight!

So I take this whole sequence as:

Cecile <something>. Fight me! <pause> Fight!

I think there's room for improvement there. At a guess:

If you want Cecile back, fight me! <pause> Fight!
You got it!

The one that gave you more trouble, "sukuitakuba", is definitely not Squirrel:
- Sukuu = To save
- verb + taku = want to -verb-
- verb+"ba" = conditional
So "if you want to save (Cecile)" indeed.
Complicating things out is the fact that the correct form would be "sukuitakereba", but that's long and gets shortened to "takuba" (which I think it's an archaic form? I've only seen it used in similar "bad guy threatening" situations, but I'm not sure)

Finally, the "to" particle usually means "and" but it can also mean "with", as in this case "fight with me" i.e. "fight me"

Also the fact that he speaks all in katakana is to signify RO-BOT TALK.

----
Talking Time! Part 2!

Quote:
ふゆうじゅつ
Fuyuujutsu

Trying to look this up got me a lot of Naruto on google. I guess "Jutsu" means technique or skill, and "Fuyuu"... dunno. I got results about some kind of sand levitation thing in Naruto, so I guess this means levitation technique?
Indeedly do.
"Floating technique", literally.

Quote:
Panel 1:
ワタシル ワイヤード
Watashiru Waiyaado
I am Wired

I think its name is "Wired", not sure what the "ru" is about.

Panel 2:
セシル はここには いない
Seshiru Hakokoniha Inai
Cecile is not here

Panel 3:
よおおん
Yooon

I dunno what the deal is with this, or why the middle two characters are small. Maybe it's supposed to be the sound of the robot powering up?

Panel 4:
だれにもいって ないのに なぜ
Darenimoitte Nainoni Naze
I am not talking to anyone why

Panel 5:
トークモード
Tookumoodo Ga
Talk mode but

Panel 6:
ばれたんだ ろうか ?
Baretanda Rouka ?
Was it taken out?

Putting it together, I think it's saying:

I am Wired. Cecile is not here. <bzzvwhuum> It's Talk Mode but I am not talking to anyone. Why? Was it taken out?

I guess this might refer to it also talking in the regular mode, confusing the robot. I dunno, but I enjoyed this one.
Not quite, this one.
The first "ru" - ル is in fact a katakana "ha" - ハ, which is being used as the "subject matter" particle, so it's read "wa" - "I am Wired."

The "yooon", like in stage 1, is added right at the end of the sentence for emphasis as a silly/cute-ifier, here specially in stark contrast as how dignified he talks in the normal mode.
Also to contrast this lines is in basic, childish hiragana, against the cold and robot-speak katakana in the normal mode.

Finally, the last sentence is
だれにもいって ないのに "Even though we didn't tell any one"
なぜ トークモード が ばれたんだ ろうか ? - "Why/how was Talk Mode discovered?"

bareru = to be revealed, left out in the open, sth hidden. Say, an easter egg, or a well hidden plot twist.

Last edited by Sensenic; 06-21-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Talking time 2 - the revenge! Also, quote fixing
Old 06-22-2018, 06:49 AM
Meal break

Sensenic, you are the hero of this thread. Thanks again. I thought I'd done pretty well with the Talk Mode scene, but it turns out I did better in the others.

For those looking for exercises, here's the cutscene in Japanese:

I got these shots from here rather than taking them myself (careful if you go there, it's also got the ending). It's a shame some kind of filter seems to have been applied. I haven't tried to translate this, but I do note that one of the lines from the English version is missing ("Later, in the lab..."). The screenshot is in the linked directory (I left the pictures with no text out of this image), but there's no text. Maybe the translators thought English speakers would need more context?
Old 06-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Meal break

Default Let's Play World 6 - Sewer World

Images behind spoilerpops in this update feature bright flashing.

Here we are in world six - the sewers. Hey, I can't move! What's happening?

The world goes dark and Lucia goes yellow. Looks like her ESP abilities are locked, too! Am I restricted to Psy-cannon?

Whoa!

Lucia hasn't powered down, she's powered up! I don't even have to aim! I guess this follows on from the cutscene, and is her anger and determination showing through.

It's a nice looking sewer, but it quickly comes to a dead end. What now?

Where else to go but down? Through a hole in the floor underwater in a sewer. Gross.

It leads to another sewer chamber, which Lucia's powered up state allows her to clear easily.

The challenge level has really taken a dive in this world.

Carrying on Lucia reaches an underwater tunnel.

Apparently she can breathe underwater. ESP something something. This pipe has a current flowing through the middle, which is why Lucia moves backwards as she falls.

That's not a door at the left.

Suddenly, with one final screen-clearing shot, Lucia's abilities return to normal. Aww. Luckily she still seems to be able to breathe underwater.

This ol' pipe seems to be suffering from calcification.

Last edited by Yimothy; 06-23-2018 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:51 PM
Meal break

The game switches from horizontal to vertical scrolling and back.

Lucia exits the pipe onto dry ground and carries on.

Climbing the ladder takes us to a room without water and some enemies who drop full HP/ESP refills. Which I promptly start losing to the flying enemy.

I take the high ground, missing out on the points bonus in the last panel.

A midboss! It seems to be a knight in armour with a sword, kind of out of place in this game.

There's a short corridor...

And another knight. It seems to only take damage when hit from behind. Not very chivalrous, Lucia!

Another short corridor.

Lucia goes through a door...

And back into the sewers. Up the ladder...

The boss! A flying demon, it doesn't even drop anything when it dies. Is that it?

It is! World 6 is short and sweet, with nice backgrounds and minimal challenge, especially at the start. If you rush it, you can make it almost to the boss while still powered up (maybe all the way? I've only made a couple of attempts). It's got an interstitial feel to it.

Next time:

Factory
Old 06-22-2018, 08:52 PM
Meal break

゛んばり まっす
゛nbari Massu

Lucia remains in high spirits.

からだが
Karadaga

Google gives this as "From there", but split off the ga from the rest and it becomes "The body", which would make sense given Lucia's about to power up. Maybe "My body"? It's also possible there are more characters cut off by the edge of the screen.

もとにもど っ ちゃったあー!
Motonimodo tsu Chattaaa!
That was awesoooome!/Back to normaaaal!

Google gives a few different things for this. Putting it in as above gives "I also got it". Uh huh. I think the あー at the end is supposed to be an enthusiastic prolonged shout, so I dropped that, giving "I got it back". Mmm-hm. I don't think the small tsu is supposed to be used on its own, so I dropped the gap between it and the ち to get "It was awesome", which it was. Or, dropping all the spaces, we get "Moto ni modotchatta", "I returned to the original". Given this comes up just after returning to Lucia's original state, that's probably right, though the exclamation mark supports the "awesome" version.

I tried using Cooling Down to make the lower enemies into a platform to attack the upper one. It worked, but it wasn't really worth the bother.

やったあ !
Yattaa!
I did it!

No pre-boss chatter here, which is disappointing, but at least we get a yattaa at the end.

I went back and tried to rush through the level to see if I could reach the boss while powered up, and in the process I realised that Super Lucia doesn't take any damage. As far as reaching the boss goes, the furthest I got before powering down was to the second midboss. It might be possible to play more optimally and make it there, but I haven't done it.

On one attempt I noticed something I missed in the level: A ladder in the third area. Climbing up leads to another knight enemy.

They aren't particularly hard to begin with, but with Super Lucia it's a cakewalk. It doesn't drop anything, but it does give enough points to take my score over a 10,000 multiple, refilling Lucia's ESP.

That's it for today!

Last edited by Yimothy; 06-23-2018 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:38 AM

First of all, there's a whole lot of heavy flashing in there, my eyes hurt. >_<
I think an Epilepsy Warning at the beginning of the update (and perhaps spoilerpopping the worst offending gifs) would be warranted here.

As for the rest:
Quote:
Sensenic, you are the hero of this thread. Thanks again. I thought I'd done pretty well with the Talk Mode scene, but it turns out I did better in the others.
Gee, thanks!

Quote:
For those looking for exercises, here's the cutscene in Japanese:

I got these shots from here rather than taking them myself (careful if you go there, it's also got the ending). It's a shame some kind of filter seems to have been applied. I haven't tried to translate this, but I do note that one of the lines from the English version is missing ("Later, in the lab..."). The screenshot is in the linked directory (I left the pictures with no text out of this image), but there's no text. Maybe the translators thought English speakers would need more context?
There are missing screens in this set, so it might be a case of mr Caetano deciding that little context wasn't necessary. Or maybe it was added by the fantranslators for the ignorant English speaking audiences, it could go both ways. XD

Other than that the fantranslation is correct, pretty straightforward as usual.

As for the level, wow, that's really neat for a sewer level, add "Psycho World" to the "Sewer levels that don't suck" list:
- yet more non-symmetrical sprites! I wonder why the non-symmetrical sprite enemies always have a glowing right side? Is it a necessary tech trick somehow? Or is it just a way to enhance them, so the player notices the effort that went into them?
- Also, the big pipe parts end up looking quite abstract/surreal, what with them becoming basically big swaths of grey and blue. It's pretty neat looking overall.

And as for the Talk Mode, your translations are spot on -
"Karada ga" is an incomplete sentence, basically "My body is..." (ready? XD), as in "my body is acting strange" or similar. And before she can finish it, bam! She gets woke.

And the other one is indeed "Back to normal", with the "chatta" there implying a bit of lament, as in "Aw, back to normal."

Tags
flying kick duel , l'esp play , let’s play , psychology , talk mode