The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-16-2018, 07:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He
Default Digital Down-Low for 05/16/2018: Everyone's come to town, to save the Princess Zelda

In order to appeal to a younger demographic, todays digital game thread will be flavored like a Tide Pod, and contain purchasable loot boxes!

Going a bit backwards this week and starting with the Switch games! This is because the PSN store is undergoing maintenance at the moment I chose to write the thread and I didn't feel like procrastinating! Not when you're doing important work like making a educated guesses while summarizing the weeks new releases!

And that means we're starting with Yonder: The Cloudcatcher Chronicles. Which my MINDBRAIN keeps confusing with Super Cloudbuilt; the fun (though overcomplicated) first person Mega Man X-y parkour/shooter that came out last year.

This is not that game. This is the diametric opposite of that game, in fact. This is a very leisurely-paced Zeld-em-up. Extremely leisurely. The games entire advertising campaign seems to be based entirely on bringing you to a nearly Jimmy Buffet-calibre of chill.

Sure there's a monster force trying to devour the land but... ehhh.... go have a nap on a fantasy-yak. It's cool. No worries.

The Banner Saga is a game that's been on my "I'm Interested In This" list for quite a while (and miiiight be in my PS4 library), but I am too inundated with other SRPGs to really feel like I could grant it the time and attention it would require.

Anyway, this takes place back in viking times and involves smashing monsters! Like the hit film; Thor: Ragnarok!

The Fairune Collection is a surprise release that is firmly in my wheelhouse! Collecting not only Fairune and its sequel (arguably the two best Hydlide clones ever made, not that the field is particularly competitive) as well as the original browser game Fairune Origins, and a new game Fairune Blast, which is a vertically scrolling Shmup, based on the segments that everyone hated from the other games!

That's at least two Very Good action-adventure games for a scant ten-ish dollars! And one I am unsure, though curious about! And one that I am very pessimistic about!

Tackle Monsters to Death as you solve navigational puzzles! Yay!

The Framed Collection is also a compilation, of what I infer to be mobile puzzles games; rearranging panels in a storyboard in order to facilitate a bunch of crimesters as they go about plying their wicked trade.

It looks pretty neat! I don't know if the comparison is warranted, but I kind of get Ghost Trick vibes, form looking at the screenshots.

Next up is another arcade game, and it's the Data East c...lassic (???) Super Burgertime!

I... did not know there was a Super Burgertime.

This time it's got co-op and the backgrounds aren't inky voids of nothingness. So that's cool.

White Night is an adventurous spooks-em-up, that initially gave me a bit og a Macventure vibe, being all high-contrast and based on exploring a SPOOKSHOUSE (with a cnadle that doubles as a black-light bulb, apparently), but then it turned into Survival Horror and I said "Oh... nah".

Next up is another (presumably final) re-release of what is without question, my favorite Musou game. And one of the two or three I would consider "Fun and Worth Playing"; Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition! Which combines all the rebalanced and extra content from the 3DS port, and also the considerably nicer visuals and heartier hardware of the WiiU version, as well as every single DLC pack. I'm genuinely unsure if this version adds anything new, but even the basic game had so damn much content that I never got through even a fraction of it, let alone the stuff that the DLC added.

It also has a fascinatingly stupid and terrible storyline that I look forward to seeing again.

And that's scarcely the only re-release on the Switch this week (or next week, I guess) we also have Mega Men! Lots of Megas Men! Specifically, there's Mega Man Legacy Collection 1 + 2! Which I don't think are available as a bundle, only individually, but either way it's a crap-load of VERY GOOD GAMES about a Little Metal Boy, a Mean Doctor and Sixty Evil Robot Masters who are all a hankerin' for a spankerin'.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS? This means that finally finally Mega Man 9s Endless Mode is portable.

Okay, that's all I got for the Switch, and PSN seems to be back up and running, so let's take a gander there.

Where I guess there's another re-release of a game that's, like, less-than five years old; Dragons Crown Pro. A gussied up version of the game that was already entirely too gussy to begin with. It was also a game that grotesquely embellished nearly every character, making every screenshot look like someone tried to recreate a Boris Vallejo painting out of balloon animals.

Despite that, it's a firm Second Best Fantasy RPG Beat-Em-Up.

Forgotten Anne is an adventure (?) game that is also looking prettttttty slick (created using the same traditional techniques that brought your favorite animated movies to life." explains the description, helpfully) about a gal stuck in Weird Town trying to escape despite everyone wanting to murd her up but fierce.

It's rated T for its use of tobacco, partial nudity and crude humor!

GoNNER is a side-scrolly Rogue-em-up that came out on the Switch a while ago. I didn't much cotton to it, partly because the stylized visuals were hard to understand and mostly because it made the A button Jump and the X button Shoot with no way to remap them, flying in the face of every platformer made since Nintendo taught us how they're supposed to control.

Reconfiguring decades worth of muscle-memory is in a twitchy action game is NOT A GREAT WAY TO ENDEAR YOURSELF TO ME, GUYS!

Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time is an beat-em-up RPG based on the Netflix-original anime that everyone seemed to love when it came out and then nobody commented on again, like, one week later. Was it good? I don't know.

What I DO know, however, is that this is one of the nicest looking Beat-em-up RPGs I've ever seen, in a week that also has Dragons Crown.

And bringing up the rear, we have Omensight, which is "an Action Murder Mystery Game" and, frnakly, that was pretty much all I needed to read to get my Enthusiasm Zone of my brain to get-a percolating. It's also got a bit of Majoas Mask in it, reliving the last day before an catastrophic event obliterates the planet, trying to prevent the apocalypse. It's also from the guys what made Stories: Path of Destiny, so plainly they have a wheelhouse they like to stick within.

Also: reading a lot of Jack Kirby comics has destroyed my ability to spell the word "apocalypse" without a spell-checks help.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:46 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The Banner Saga is a game that's been on my "I'm Interested In This" list for quite a while (and miiiight be in my PS4 library), but I am too inundated with other SRPGs to really feel like I could grant it the time and attention it would require.

Anyway, this takes place back in viking times and involves smashing monsters! Like the hit film; Thor: Ragnarok!
My usual elevator pitch for Banner Saga, a game that I like very much, is "Norse Apocalypse Oregon Trail Tactics". I'd say that sums things up pretty nicely!
Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Default Now I have to work extra hard on clearing out my backlog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
My usual elevator pitch for Banner Saga, a game that I like very much, is "Norse Apocalypse Oregon Trail Tactics". I'd say that sums things up pretty nicely!
At the risk of repeating myself;

Old 05-16-2018, 07:56 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

Quote:
Little Witch Academia: Chamber of Time is an beat-em-up RPG based on the Netflix-original anime that everyone seemed to love when it came out and then nobody commented on again, like, one week later. Was it good? I don't know.

What I DO know, however, is that this is one of the nicest looking Beat-em-up RPGs I've ever seen, in a week that also has Dragons Crown.
Whoa, what? I hadn't heard about this before this very moment, and now I need sixteen copies. I don't care if it's digital only! Make it happen!

... Wait, I better check the official website to see if this is as good as you're making it sound...

Quote:
Believe in the magic and utilize power and friendship in this side-scrolling action RPG beat ‘em up.
Yep! That's all I've ever wanted!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:48 AM
not actually a snake

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Like the hit film; Thor: Ragnarok!
"Part 4 of Marvel's Banner Saga!"
Old 05-16-2018, 01:16 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Where I guess there's another re-release of a game that's, like, less-than five years old; Dragons Crown Pro. A gussied up version of the game that was already entirely too gussy to begin with. It was also a game that grotesquely embellished nearly every character, making every screenshot look like someone tried to recreate a Boris Vallejo painting out of balloon animals.

Despite that, it's a firm Second Best Fantasy RPG Beat-Em-Up.

I've had a lot of fun with what little I've played of Dragon's Crown Pro so far, but I feel I'm gonna get a lot of mileage out of The Hall of Disapproving Statues GIF.

Glad it's on PS4, though.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:10 PM
graffiti programmer

Pronouns: he/him

Dragon's Crown is the best game that I can never play again now that I don't live alone
Old 05-17-2018, 06:51 AM
Mystery Contraption

No overlooked releases today, so the list is final.

Also, I had this thread on my laptop last night, so when I woke up this morning I had a closeup of Homer wearing a welcome mat filling my screen.

“So that’s how my day augers, eh?”, I said.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:45 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
No overlooked releases today, so the list is final.

Also, I had this thread on my laptop last night, so when I woke up this morning I had a closeup of Homer wearing a welcome mat filling my screen.

“So that’s how my day augers, eh?”, I said.
You're welcome, Octo.

Anyway, seriously enjoying my time with Dragon's Crown Pro. It's a shame there isn't a No Titty Monsters option to change the character designs when you want to play with other people, 'cuz I love everything else about the gameplay and aesthetics.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:23 PM
who's she

Fairune is the perfect game to be released today when I'm sick in bed and don't have the energy to play anything stressful. So I was happy to buy it again.

This version of Mega Man Legacy Collection is going to have a rewind button so I'm very excited about buying it again.

Tags
digital downloads , little metal boy , octo does not do research , well excuuuuuuuuuse me , zelda link ganon hyrule