The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-12-2018, 02:46 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him
Default Brave exvius, the gatcha that's good

Anyone still playing ffbe? I'm genuinely engrossed in the game's tactics and stories, and while I have a small crew of die hards who play on curious if anyone here still does.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

I started playing in January. I'm playing it alongside FFRK and DFFOO, and I like them all for different reasons, but the music and the art in Exvius are keeping me invested, along with the Pokemon collectathon aspect. I've only JUST gotten to a point where I can tackle the hardest content, and that feels good. (I still really want Basch, though! Gotta get that 5-star magic tank.)
Old 05-13-2018, 12:43 PM
gatchapon 3*

Man, basch has been one of the best pulls I got. He is just absurd, and trivializes so much of the game. Liquid metal slime is also a beast.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:56 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Liquid metal slime
excuse me
what
Old 05-13-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Man, basch has been one of the best pulls I got. He is just absurd, and trivializes so much of the game. Liquid metal slime is also a beast.
I did get lucky enough to pull a couple of those. I'm actually having a bit of trouble figuring out my tank situation; I have Wilhelm, and the FFBE subreddit raves about him, but he seems to only be good for single-target physical hits, which is great but only for those very specific situations, so he seems underwhelming to me overall. I also have WoL, Mystea, and now Shylt and Liquid Metal Slime, but I'm wary of them since they're not 5-star bases. It seems like waiting for Basch will be the best solution, but I don't think he's been featured on any newer banners to date in JP, so the chances of getting him seem pretty slim.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
excuse me
what
They occasionally do collaborations with other Squeenix properties, including Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, Secret of Mana, Nier, Valkyrie Profile, and most recently Xenogears.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:23 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I couldn't play this game because I'm a little susceptible to spending money on these stupid things and when they added the Secret of Mana characters I knew I would have ruined my life trying to get them.

I have a much easier time controlling myself with Fire Emblem Heroes, where I don't care about the characters nearly as much.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:03 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZee View Post
I did get lucky enough to pull a couple of those. I'm actually having a bit of trouble figuring out my tank situation; I have Wilhelm, and the FFBE subreddit raves about him, but he seems to only be good for single-target physical hits, which is great but only for those very specific situations, so he seems underwhelming to me overall. I also have WoL, Mystea, and now Shylt and Liquid Metal Slime, but I'm wary of them since they're not 5-star bases. It seems like waiting for Basch will be the best solution, but I don't think he's been featured on any newer banners to date in JP, so the chances of getting him seem pretty slim.
Dude, lms with gauntlet, carbon Bangle, and moogle is pretty much indestructible. He's even better than basch in some cases. Wilhelm is hella good in trials too.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:41 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I couldn't play this game because I'm a little susceptible to spending money on these stupid things and when they added the Secret of Mana characters I knew I would have ruined my life trying to get them.
It's probably good you didn't play Spelunker World, then.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:08 PM
Mothperson

I dunno know if I'd call it the gacha that's good. It has a lot of fundamental problems that become more pervasive with the more time that you spend with it. But it's certainly one of the classier feeling ones, fwiw, and the Main Menu Theme—Moment of Recall—is one of my favorite pieces of video game music.

I geeked out over it hardcore when it first came out and have been strictly F2P ever since. The last time I played it even somewhat seriously was last week to grind enough Gold at the last-minute to pick up Erdrick's Sword from the Dragon Quest Collaboration Event. Afterwards, the date changed and I used the Rare Summon Ticket I got from the daily login to get Sephiroth. One and done.

EDIT: Just grabbed Yuna from the Daily Free Summon banner.

Last edited by Belmont; 07-08-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:50 PM
Come, noble knights!

My experience with Gashapon (and Brave Exvius in particular) was some brief dabbling followed by getting bored of it pretty quickly.

It's not them, it's me. I just need more from my roleplaying experience than FIGHT/TALK/FIGHT/TALK/FIGHT/TALK, and while I heard this game has dungeons of a sort it didn't hold my interest long enough to get to them.

Eh, they're probably phoned-in, anyway.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:44 PM
gatchapon 3*

the raids and high end content are actually pretty good, and require a lot of tactics and strategy and planning. the story is a cakewalk, and full of every jrpg cliche you've ever seen, and yet i'm still hella compelled by it? i guess tropes work for a reason.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:03 PM

Default I probably spent $12-24 total

Brave Exvius is pretty good for a mobile game. But sometimes the developers drop the ball hard like the $46 USD guaranteed rainbow banner, disabling the magnification gesture to perfect chain then re-enabling it when enough people complained, and "children have been kidnapped by religious zealots church-goers." I was pretty hardcore for a year but now I just login for the daily bonuses, hoping that the 7* meta will make things great.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:16 PM
I am a Gundam!

I really liked Brave Frontier (Exvius's spiritual predecessor), but I've learned that gacha games are worse with established properties attached because I can't get excited for pulling a Steve if Squall is also an option. Also I've learned that gacha games are bad and unsatisfying in ephemeral ways, and that I shouldn't play them.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:52 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZee View Post
They occasionally do collaborations with other Squeenix properties, including Dragon Quest, Tomb Raider, Secret of Mana, Nier, Valkyrie Profile, and most recently Xenogears.
you forgot the most important collaboration they've ever done
Old 06-28-2018, 02:02 PM
Mothperson

Bump for the 2nd year anniversary and the freebies that being handed out. I just got Eiko from the 5* EX Ticket.

Exchanged 5000 Lapis for the Early Celebration Bundle. Got my third Nameless Gunner Jake (loooooool) from the 5* EX Ticket. Nothing from the first 10+1. Nothing from the Premium 10+1. Nothing from the Anniversary Tickets. Grabbed the 10+1 from the Mog Minister and finally got someone new: Fohlen. While I don't have much of a need for a tank better than what I have, I'd definitely like to get Basch given how versatile he is. So I'll see if I can scrounge together enough Lapis from completing missions to invest in the discounted Tank-focused Step Up Banner.

Last edited by Belmont; 07-08-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:46 PM
Mothperson

Default double-post to break up discussion points

Talking About Team Building

Team-building is absolutely my favorite aspect of Brave Exvius. I really enjoy how some of the units are designed and the skills they bring to the table as it invites a lot of options for developing unique party synergies. But it’s often too limited and I never feel like I have enough space to field the units I'd like to. There are far too many all-stars warming the bench with the likes of Bedile and Shadow. The process is way too micro-managey with all the equipment and ability swapping that's required. The UI is a cumbersome, unwieldy mess with far too many segues into what ought to be seamless interactions. It straight up does not respect your time—with Trust Masteries being the most pronounced element of this design ethos—but it's a Gacha, so, lol.

I spent way too long these past 24 hours optimizing my parties and their loadouts given that I haven't played this game seriously in mooooonths. One of the best team compositions I put together is somewhat broken.

Fryevia
Hybrid-damage DPS and one of the best units in the game. Since I have two of her, she’s dual-wielding her TM Weapon. All I need to do is bring another Fryevia along for the ride as a Friend Unit.

Yan
Geared with Auto-Limit Equipment and Auto-Limit Abilities. AoE Auto-Revive Limit Break, AoE Revive, AoE Damage Mitigation, AoE Status Break Protection. Equipped with Rikku's Pouch for AoE Full Break and Esunaga.

Illusionist Nichol
Limited-time Halloween Unit. He's able to redirect incoming physical attacks to specified units and grant them with the ability to dodge two incoming physical attacks within one turn. I gave him the Ability Bushido Freedom for Dispelga.

Zargabaath
Illusionist Nichol's partner in crime. Evasion/Provoke Tank with innate Evasion and Physical/Magicl Countering capabilities, geared with Evasion-bolstering Equipment and Abilities. AoE 100% Status Buff and AoE Ailment protection, AoE Elemental Protection, single-target HP/MP Refresh and Auto-Revive.

Ayaka
An AoE Healing and Status Ailment Removal Ability, AoE Stop Removal, AoE Healing, AoE Revive, Reraise, Esunaga, Dispelga. Her LB revives everyone, heals them, and cleanses EVERY status ailment (including Charm) but it is difficult to build. And she can dual-cast white magic, because of course she can.

Notes:
  • I could substitute Zargabaath with Fohlen who would be better at countering than Zarg and can provide DPS. I can also equip him with Pod 153 for AoE Damage Mitigation.
  • I could substitute Fryevia with Rebecca who chains with Fohlen.
  • I could substitute Yan for Rikku, whose AoE Revival LB is easier to spam—and she brings HyperNulAll for Elemental Protection, which Zarg had.
  • ... and I could bring along an Auto-Limit Noctis to spam his LB for an AoE Status Buff and use him as my finisher. He could replace Zarg/Fohlen and I would build him as an Evasion Tank, and bring along someone with Entrust to fill his LB gauge. But at that point, its an entirely different team.
I love that there are so many options. You can make some pretty interesting team compositions, but the sunk-costs of developing them through swapping equipment/abilities/espers makes the practice and practicality of experimentation suuuuuch an investment and it is pretty awful. I don't have enough TMs to make anyone "BiS" (best in slot)—let alone an entire team. The process reminds me of catching/breeding/raising Pokemon in the legitimate/competitive sense, in that by the time you have what it is you set out to create the meta has already shifted to the point that your new toys are already outdated. Regardless, it's fun to think about.

Last edited by Belmont; 07-08-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:08 PM
gatchapon 3*

god, trying to build the best party is a nightmare sometimes, especially when you're drowning in options and need a specific build to beat a challenge, and can't figure it out.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:24 PM
Mothperson

I got Rico Roll'd again.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:12 PM
gatchapon 3*

here's my current list of rainbows - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...qlBOW6k-omcjk/

i finally beat Shiva and now i'm gearing up for carbuncle and marlboro.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:27 PM
Mothperson

Damn, Shivam. Your account is even more stacked than mine.

Spent the past couple days mindlessly going through the storyline to complete their missions for Lapis. I wasted 9000 Lapis on all three of the Anniversary Step-Up Banners. I then proceeded to squeeze as much free Lapis out of the game as possible to do Step 2 on the Tank/Mage and the Healer/Support banners. I got my first double-rainbow (three if you count the 10% Trust Moogle) on the Tank/Mage banner for a 2nd Barbariccia and a 3rd Gladio, and my 2nd Eiko from the Healer/Support banner. Still thirsting after Basch, but I'll take it.

Merged my previous posts and did some further inventory of my account:

Rainbow Units
  • Lightning x3
  • Noctis x2
  • Emperor
  • Ramza
  • Reberta
  • Wilheim
  • Dark Knight Cecil
  • Veritas of the Flame x2
  • Onion Knight x3
  • Ayaka
  • Ace
  • Zargabaath
  • Knight Delita
  • Veritas of the Dark
  • Fryevia x2
  • Seabreeze Dark Fina
  • Dark Fina
  • Prishe
  • Gladiolus x3
  • Trance Terra
  • Duke x4
  • Tidus
  • Nameless Gunner Jake x3
  • Sephiroth
  • Yuna
  • Beatrix
  • Luneth
  • Barbariccia x2
  • Eiko x2
  • Lotus Mage Fina
  • Blossom Sage Sakura
  • Balthier
  • Marie

Rainbow Units (Limited)
  • Elza
  • Yun
  • 2B
  • Rico Rodriguez x2

Rainbow Units (Limited, Freebie)
  • Maxwell
  • Kelsus
  • Lara Croft
  • Y'shtola
  • Ukiyo

Notable Units
  • 9S x2
  • Rikku
  • Soleil
  • Ashe x2
  • Xon
  • Beach Time Fina
  • Summer Lid
  • Warrior of Light
  • Mystea
  • Shylt

Notable Units (Limited)
  • Tilith
  • Ling
  • Yan
  • Minfilla
  • Illusionist Nichol
  • Liquid Metal Slime
  • Barusa

Other Units (Limited)
  • Magitek Armor Terra
  • Dangerous Arianna
  • Chic Arianna
  • Sportive Arianna
  • Karl
  • Seria
  • Primm
  • Popoi
  • Adam
  • Eve
  • 21O
  • Thancred
  • Yda
  • Papalymo
  • Cupid Luna
  • Moogle
  • White Witch Fina
  • Black Cat Lid
  • Pirate Jake
  • Santa Roselia
  • Ashteroze
  • Nyalu
  • Kupolkan
  • Sandee
  • Grinfield
  • Toby
  • Kaliva
  • Pharaoh Abel
  • Tinkerer Carrie
  • Slime
  • Killing Machine
  • Golem
  • Robbin' Ood
  • Teo
  • Annika Svennson
  • Cheerleader Fina
  • Artisan Lid
  • Swordsman Lasswell
  • Cowboy Jake
  • Maiden Sakura
  • Vagrant Knight Rain

I'm contemplating selling my account.

Last edited by Belmont; 07-21-2018 at 11:31 PM.

Tags
gacha