The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 01-14-2013, 05:59 AM
Banned

Come on guys, remove the image limit for the LP forum. All it is really doing is making it harder on the people that actually want to make things. All the images are hosted off-site anyway, so it's not like there is a drag on the server.

Last edited by TK Flash; 01-14-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

That's not possible. Image limits are a board-wide setting.

Emoticons counting towards the image limit is a terrible design, though, that I can't believe is actually true. I don't remember that being true the last time I used vB, but I only briefly made use of it yeeeeeeeeeeeears ago, so I could be misremembering.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 AM
The Great Cave Offensive!

Frankly, I think having an image limit is pretty silly anyway—people who are going to put lots of images in a single post should probably be banned anyway, so...
Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 AM
5000 posts and I'm gone

Guys, it's not that bad. I think an image limit forced me to be a more conscious editor (why am I using this image?). I'm not saying that "15" or "25" images is the "sweet spot", but I think the minor inconvenience of separating your updates into 15/25 image chunks is not so horrible that we should suddenly allow people to start posting LPs that have a hundred images in a single post.

All that would do for the majority of LPs would that we'd all of a sudden have potentially several updates of several hundred images on a single page. Lord knows that would kill my photobucket, and making loading pages for a new update/comment potentially brutal.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM

Having post breaks periodically is not a bad thing. It gives the reader a breather. If the limit was five images it'd be impossible to do a LP but you can do a lot with 25, especially if you put adjacent images together into a single file.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

I actually think 15 images is way too many for hi-res games (for example, and not trying to pick on anyone, DA:O or FF14). It takes minutes for a page full of those images to render even on a good connection.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I actually think 15 images is way too many for hi-res games (for example, and not trying to pick on anyone, DA:O or FF14). It takes minutes for a page full of those images to render even on a good connection.
After a certain point, a limit per post on something like that is meaningless. If we're talking about 720i or 1080i-like screenshots, then once the number of images per post reaches a certain point (I would say probably around 10) then it basically doesn't matter anymore what the limit is; it's going to take too long a time to load the pictures on the page. On the flip side, older-gen games can handle 25+ pictures per page without "hanging" slower connections.

The real distinction between the limits per post is as Elfir mentioned; a limit forces post breaks, which can act as both a "breather" for readers, as well as a point of focus for a specific thought during the update.

I'm not trying to dismiss the concern for slower/metered connections, since it is certainly something that's important. I'm more just saying that the context is important in that case.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
shit, when did that change?! O_o

Has anyone done this ever? Like, ever ever? Just feels like more weird bureaucracy that only prevents cool shit from happening.
Then take it up with Parish.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't make me laugh
post breaks can act as a "breather" for readers
This is the most ridiculous bullshit excuse I have heard. An inch of space on the screen where the avatar shows up acts as a breather for readers? It gives them so much rest from the INTENSE LET'S PLAY ACTION that it's necessary that writing and posting a Let's Play becomes a bigger pain in the ass than necessary?

Sure, HD pictures and huge stuff would kill the speed, but it's not as if we couldn't fix that with a little discretion. I'm uploading a meg of .png files in an update, and let's face it the vast majority of our Let's Plays are sprite-based games -- not exactly heavy on the bandwidth when you're posting screenshots.

But False has made this clear that this is another dead end when it comes to asking the Mods to make this a better place so we'll have to take it to the guy who wanted out of this moderating stuff in the first place. Cool.

In the meantime, please guys, think of more excellent reasons why we should have an image limit.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM
It's joke

Think of the time wizards visiting our forums in 1998 on their 56k modems.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM
It's joke

And the Australians i guess.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfir View Post
Having post breaks periodically is not a bad thing. It gives the reader a breather. If the limit was five images it'd be impossible to do a LP but you can do a lot with 25, especially if you put adjacent images together into a single file.
I think there's some value to this, sort of a boundary effect type of thing. You want to break the LP up into posts for the same reason you want to break a book into paragraphs. I for one have never just gone, "fifteen images = new post" for however many images I have; I always try to find a logical spot to put the break so I'm transitioning between two in-game sequences rather than breaking one up.

That's not really an argument for an image limit, though, because I could do that with any limit.

"Takes a long time to load" doesn't strike me as a very good argument. Does it take longer to load 40 images spanned across four posts than it does to load 40 images in a single post? There were times in my FF2 LP when I was putting together a huge gif and I was like, this is stupid, everybody is going to complain about loading this giant thing. But nobody ever did. Not even about the 600+ frame 8MB behemoth in my last update. People like cool images and apparently don't mind waiting a minute.

The reason for the image limit is so people don't make 50 HITLER POSTS in the Pit of Flames. Whether or not this is a thing that is likely to happen (or a thing that is not easily dealt with by deletion/banning) is a separate question, but that's the reason.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
"Takes a long time to load" doesn't strike me as a very good argument. Does it take longer to load 40 images spanned across four posts than it does to load 40 images in a single post? There were times in my FF2 LP when I was putting together a huge gif and I was like, this is stupid, everybody is going to complain about loading this giant thing. But nobody ever did. Not even about the 600+ frame 8MB behemoth in my last update. People like cool images and apparently don't mind waiting a minute.
But it does take longer to load 30 posts of 100 images each than 30 posts of 25 images each, if you somehow wind up with a large amount image-heavy posts on the same page. It could happen! Not that I care, since I do most of my LP reading from computers with pretty good bandwidth. Personally, I do like seeing character thumbnails in the Something Awful Let's Plays that I have read, it would be cool if we could have those here. With 25 images to a post, it becomes a bit easier, but there's still a lot of bookkeeping involved. (Actually, SkyRender did exactly that in his tl;dr posts for FF XII, so it never even occurred to me that this was something difficult to do on our forum).
Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM

On that note I sort of really hate the character thumbnails, and am kind of glad the practice never caught on here.

But you're right, I hadn't thought of loading up thirty posts with 50 images each. I almost never have two updates on the same page so the idea didn't occur to me. That's a good reason to have some kind of image limit, yeah.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Banned

The You Might Have Too Many Images On One Page idea is just as dumb as Gives Readers A Breather. Why? You can set how many posts to display on a page yourself. If there was some ddownside for the forum to load too many images per page I assume this would be an issue for those people who view fifty posts per page and like the random image thread.

If there's a hard limit of 25 for vbulletin then the conversation ends and everyone puts up with it.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
The You Might Have Too Many Images On One Page idea is just as dumb as Gives Readers A Breather. Why?
Dude, it's one thing to express an opinion. It's another to say the opinions of others are dumb.

Quote:
If there was some ddownside for the forum to load too many images per page I assume this would be an issue for those people who view fifty posts per page and like the random image thread.
I already avoid the random image thread when browsing on my phone for exactly this reason. It takes too long to load all the images, and setting fewer posts per page makes browsing the rest of the forum a hassle. Mike's points are valid.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:36 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
On that note I sort of really hate the character thumbnails, and am kind of glad the practice never caught on here.
Heresy.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Objection!

To be fair, though, multiple posts of 25 images on the same page would only happen in an image intensive LP that... is not getting much discussion. Does that happen all that often?

... it sure did for G Gen World.

Also, just telling people to adjust their post counts per page is hardly an answer. First off you aren't going to know if you need less posts per page until you open the thread. Secondly, expecting people to constantly adjust that setting is hardly a reasonable answer.

While I respect that not everywhere is blessed with quality internet (I even live in the middle of nowhere), we've also basically come to a point where low-speeds are the minority, not the majority. Can we not trust ourselves to advertise if a thread is going to be filled with large numbers of high-filesize images? It's not always going to be up to the LP author, either, given how many ones here get fanart, as well...! And given that images load sequentially, in the same order you would be reading the thread, is it often going to be that much of an issue?

And Brickroad is right, which is the thing I was getting at with my own response. The image limit to me was less of a point to pause my images, and more a point to finish a thought before carrying on. At the same time, he's also right; it doesn't matter what the limit is. Just that there was one.

All that said, an image limit of some kind is basically required within the board code. The question should really be more what limit is reasonable for LP use.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
It was done awhile ago and slowly rolled out. You were on the list to be notified (If I had every seen you in IRC that might have happened sooner) but now that Loki has told everyone there isn't any point.
uh

Why was it planned for there to be a "list to be notified" and not just a post in one of the stickies about the new limit like what Loki did? I don't think I really like the implication there. Call me crazy, but I think we could do without a secret club of LPers who get privileged information.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
uh

Why was it planned for there to be a "list to be notified" and not just a post in one of the stickies about the new limit like what Loki did? I don't think I really like the implication there. Call me crazy, but I think we could do without a secret club of LPers who get privileged information.
It was more about letting LPers know without letting everyone on TT know. And I was doing it on the orders of my superiors.

Thinking about it for all the trouble I went through to do it. It's hardly been worth it.

How about we just go back to ten?
Old 01-14-2013, 04:47 PM

Why the heck not.

These are the kinds of discussions that make me reconsider even posting my LP here. But I know it's just a handful of dickheads.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM
The Great

Quote:
It was more about letting LPers know without letting everyone on TT know. And I was doing it on the orders of my superiors.
That just seems bizarre as hell to me, but fair enough. You aren't the guy to complain about it to.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dude, it's one thing to express an opinion. It's another to say the opinions of others are dumb.
You're right, and I take it back. Sorry Mike!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Man I'm sorry FL. If I had know what a touchy subject it was I wouldn't have brought it up.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 PM

I recommend LPers publish their LPs on separate websites and blogs and simply link them back to the forum if they want an active audience for their work. The benefits of doing that instead of sticking to the message board format seems countless.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:56 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
How about we just go back to ten?
I know you're joking, but I want to point out the issues that reducing the image limit will cause to anyone who tries to edit an LP post.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
You're right, and I take it back. Sorry Mike!
I don't actually care how many images there are in a post, I was just explaining the rationale behind it. So no harm done, guy.

If I ever get around to doing another LP, I will be very grateful for the upgrade to 25 images per post. And it's not all that hard to work around the limit for LPers, honestly. This setup is quite fine! Out of curiosity, though, how many image-intensive threads are there on this board outside of the LP subforum? You've got Random Image and the three Fanart Thunderdomes, isn't that pretty much it?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Those threads average one image per post. I imagine the image limit is mostly to limit troll potential.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Set phasers to hug

For what it's worth, when I was doing NetHack, I didn't always make every post have exactly fifteen images; if I knew up front that I was going to need four posts to do an update, I sometimes arranged the post breaks in "natural" places, to build tension or not interrupt a thought. I think there's value in this.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 AM

I'm trying to record The Longest Journey, but neither Camtasia nor FRAPS will pick up the cinematics. I get audio just fine, but just a black screen. The game doesn't seem to have any video configuration settings.

wat do

Tags
how do i screenshot web , tech support