The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 06-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He
Default Welcome to the Ass-End of Space: Mission to Zyxx

Iíve been talking this series up recently in the dedicated Podcast thread, but I donít know if anyone started listening to it based on that recommendation, and I would be remiss if I didnít do my part to spread awareness of the series because it really is that good. It just started its second season, so there are only about 20 (ish) 30-50 minute episodes, so getting caught up doesnít take terribly long.

Mission to Zyxx is an comedy improv space opera, where the heroic (ish) crew of the ambassador ship The Bargarium Jade (Bargie for short) are sent on diplomatic missions on behalf of the benevolent Federated Alliance of Planets, the much-less evil replacement for the recently deposed Galactic Monarchy. As the Jades crew is fairly inexperienced and dislikeable, theyíve been assigned to the Zyxx quadrant; the universes asshole. Owing to how uniquely unqualified the crew is, they manage to spectacularly fail every mission theyíre assigned. Including ďgo buy a couchĒ and ďtake the day offĒ.

Comparisons to Hello from the Magic Tavern are unavoidable, but it does start to feel like a different beast before long. And not just because of the science fiction setting. The plot moves along at an extremely fast clip in comparison to the slow meandering nature of the Magic Tavern guys, thereís also far less reference humor. Not quite zero (and towards the end of the first season it transitions from a Star Trek homage to a Star Wars one), but itís woven into the show pretty organically.

The cast gels together extremely well, and if it werenít for Bargie, it would be extremely hard to pick a single favorite. As it stands, Bargie is 1000% my favorite. And itís not possible to complement the shows sound editing enough. Normally thatís the kind of thing I only notice if itís being done extremely poorly, but the shows production values are just absurdly high quality. Iíve repeatedly mistaken someone yelling dialogue from another room in the show for someone actually yelling at me from a distance, and looked out the window when rain fell where the characters are.

And thatís my book report on Mission to Zyxx, a podcast. Thank you for your attention.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:51 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I listened to the first episode already based on your recommendation. I'm not 100% sold on it yet, but I'm going to keep listening.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Mystery Contraption

It takes a couple episodes to find its footing.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:25 PM
of the Black Falcons

Old 06-14-2018, 01:17 PM
of the Black Falcons

The tiny horse voice in episode 2 pretty much won me over.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:10 AM
hang high, soft star

I like how Pleck is basically literally Mako from COUNTER/weight, down to the voice.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:29 AM
Mystery Contraption

I doubt anyone is going to dethrone Bargie for being my favorite character, but as of the most recent episode, CLINT is making a solid run for it.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

In some startlingly obvious cross-promotion, the most recent episode had the Magic Tavern guys as special guests. Adil had enough sound effects piled on that he was unrecognizable, but otherwise everyone was using their Magic Tavern voices.

Which makes the fact that Arnie was playing a troubled teen in the Scared Straight program so much funnier than it would have been otherwise.