The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 06-16-2018, 12:12 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
-- Music is just -- there
Nah. It's perfectly subdued and ambient, a less-is-more approach I always appreciate. I wasn't a big fan of the art style and it was the music (and sound effects) that brought me around, truth be told.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:47 PM
Nonplussed

I love everything about this game, aside from the length. I finished the not true final battle and had to take a break, because it had taken over my life for a few weeks and I needed a change of pace. I do intend to go back and do the remaining bits especially after talking to Alixsar and MCBanjoMike about those bits.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Hullo

I stopped playing this when someone told me it was 20 hours. That seems ridiculous. Game's great though.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:40 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I stopped playing this when someone told me it was 20 hours. That seems ridiculous. Game's great though.
Good news then! Itís 40.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:36 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

It's probably 20 if you just want to beat it and don't care about getting everything. Part of what made me stop at first was how daunting it was; it's a very long game for it's type. But it's really rewarding and chock full of cool stuff. Hell, it just FEELS good to play. It's great.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

The game just crashed after I spent a good chunk of time trying to find my way out of an area I hadnít mapped yet. So that sucked.

Iím also not a fan of the dreamcatcher fetch quest. The game is great - particularly the bosses - but I am sick and tired of wandering around places Iíve already been. Might take a break from the game for a bit and play Splatoon or something.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

I just had a most Metroidvania experience -- I missed a critical power-up (the Crystal Heart) and I was able to continue for about five hours before the game roadblocked me, which was both delightful and infuriating. I was wondering why the old guy in the village kept jabbering about Crystal Peak even though it was several areas ago. He showed me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Nah. It's perfectly subdued and ambient, a less-is-more approach I always appreciate. I wasn't a big fan of the art style and it was the music (and sound effects) that brought me around, truth be told.
I'd rather have something like Axiom Verge -- now that's a soundtrack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilex View Post
Oh no.

Singing miner bug doesn't seem to be feeling great
He's gone hollow
Old Yesterday, 02:08 AM

Sprite: the easiest and best source of essence for the Dream Nail are dream bosses. Some of the bosses you have already fought (basically any that leave a corpse behind, like the first boss or the boss in the Ancient Basin) have a harder dream mode. There are also new bosses available at various gravestones that didn't seem to be for anything before. You don't need to fight them all to gather enough essence, and you don't need to do any of it to finish the game.

Quote:
I'd rather have something like Axiom Verge -- now that's a soundtrack!
Funny you should bring up Axiom Verge: did anyone else play that game with a proper surround sound system with a subwoofer? On mine, the bass was way way way too loud and it was genuinely unpleasant to play; I had to mute it.
Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Ah! Thanks for the tip, Merus. For some reason I was under the impression that I needed to get all the Essence before fighting the Dreamers. Good to know itís a side quest.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Not true! In my speedrun(ish) of the game, I didn't fight them at all.

Octo, if you want a general hint of what to do, your best option right now is the mines in the top right of the map.
While helpful advice, the real answer was that I hadnít finished exploring the City of Tears.
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Finished! Or, at least, got the first ending. 18:30.

There's lots of little things here and there that annoy me. I really dislike the mapping system, as I said before, though the pins you can buy mitigate that quite a bit. The world feels a little too big and sprawling, with fast travel points too far apart. Giving you the Dream Gate sooner would fix that problem.

But yeah, it's a great game. It definitely takes a page from Super Metroid's book by squeezing a lot of storytelling just out of the environments and animations. The Hollow Knight fight is heartbreaking. And all the bosses I've done so far are just great. They're tough, but I never feel overwhelmed, except in a couple cases with out-of-depth optional bosses before upgrading my nail.
Old Today, 06:13 AM
Sudden chomper

I personally love the mapping system, it's one of my favorite parts of the game. But I do agree that the map is too big and there aren't enough good ways to get around quickly. A mid-to-late-game ability to travel between benches instantly would probably have been a good addition.
Old Today, 08:58 AM

I donít like that I just lost all my money because I died and then died again.
Old Today, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
I donít like that I just lost all my money because I died and then died again.
As soon as I found the Bank, I've been religiously dropping off money whenever I get around 200 Geo or so.

Speaking of dying, what penalty beyond dropping your souls, errr... I mean 'Geo' does death incur? The soul gauge gets a different look, but I can't tell if it drops in capacity or something? Thankfully I've always managed to retrieve my dropped Geo before dying again, so I have yet to lose out on a bunch.

Last edited by Kairu; Today at 09:42 AM.
Old Today, 09:37 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
Speaking of dying, what penalty beyond dropping your souls, errr... I mean 'Geo' does death incur? The soul gauge gets a different look, but I can't tell if it drops in capacity or something? Thankfully I've always managed to retrieve my dropped before dying again, so I have yet to lose out on a bunch of Geo form it.
Yeah, seems to be capacity; you go down to 2/3. But if you die again, you can go to your latest shade, beat it, and get the full capacity back. You don't need to destroy the "original" shade; it's gone along with its Geo. In this way, dropping Geo from death is similar to dying and not making your way back to your bloodstain in Dark Souls.
Old Today, 10:31 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
As soon as I found the Bank, I've been religiously dropping off money whenever I get around 200 Geo or so.
You might want to read the following spoiler:

Careful about how much you deposit. If you go over the limit, she runs away with your cash and you have to track her down to get it back.

Safest way to keep from losing cash is to spend it as soon as possible. Thereís also vendor trash you pick up here and there, and those donít go away when you die, so itís a good idea to wait until you need to make a big purchase before you sell them.

Tags
a bug's strife , atmospheric platformers , better than metroid 3? , bugtroidvania , hollow knight , metroidvania , team cherry