The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-07-2018, 10:59 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any
Default Online Multiplayer Recommendations - Play With People You Can't See!

Hi there! My name is Turtle, and I am absolutely baffled we don't have a general online multiplayer thread.

I've been looking for games to play with friends of mine, and we're running into the issue of, simply, not knowing what multiplayer games there are. So I'm crowdsourcing this.

We're currently looking for PC games, but there's no reason you can't suggest console games too; this thread is for everyone. Once we get a list going, I'll add recommendations to this post for easy reference.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:10 AM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

What kinda games are your friends into? Do you want something long-term, or something that's easy to just pick up and play without a commitment?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:49 AM
IRIS Photojournalist

Pronouns: he / his

I play Splatoon 2 with several Tyrants; we're always looking for more peeps to join us! It's super fun!
Old 08-08-2018, 06:49 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

This thread is of interest to me! I get together with a couple of high school buddies every Sunday night to play online games while chatting in Discord, and we're always looking for something new to kill time with while we shoot the shit. Hopefully this thread will give us some more ideas!

I don't like MMOs as a rule, but they're fun with friends! The Old Republic was kind of the gold standard for us, since it's the only MMO that acknowledges that you're a group. What I mean by that is that the whole party can watch everyone's personal class-specific cut-scenes (there are some occasional exceptions to this, though, which sucks), and when it comes time to make a decision (often moral decisions with light/dark side implications), everyone selects their response and the game rolls a weighted die (if you keep losing, then your roll gets buffed) to decide who gets to decide what happens. Also, there are weird fun exploration/platforming challenges to collect hidden stat ups (yes, i said platforming, in an MMO), and it's the only MMO I've ever played where I got to roll up a big fat guy (his name was Sergeant Scrimmage and he carried a big gun).

The Secret World was also a lot of fun, with a unique combat system and occasionally amazing ARG quests. At one point I was looking for an Arabic translation of the bible while another friend was teaching himself morse code and that either sounds amazing or awful, depending on who you are. I loved that stuff, and wish the game had more of it, because those investigation quests were the highlight. Just make sure to append "-TSW -secret -world" to your Google searches if you don't want to accidentally hit spoilers while "questing".

Rocket League is a real good time. It turns out that car soccer is really fun! Team sizes scale anywhere from 2-4, and even if you're all bad, it'll find other bad players to match you with. Just make sure to mute other players, because the community is an absolute garbage fire.

I've never personally played Borderlands 2, but that's because my friends had already played it thoroughly without me. It sounds like a good time!

Our latest game is World of Tanks, which has been kind of novel and find, but which I honestly can't recommend, since the UI and mechanics are both kind of impenetrable. It's a very hard game to get into.

Now to steal a post I made elsewhere for some more recommendations:

Quote:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is literally my favourite co-op game, but unfortunately only support two players. However, its sequel, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, which I've heard is not quite as good, supports up to four! They're twin-stick shooters, and the first game has the best co-op puzzles I've ever seen, right up there with Portal 2's co-op campaign.

Magicka is the industry leader in hilarious mistakes leading to death. The four of you play mages who craft spells by combining elemental runes in different ways, and friendly fire is always on. So, say, one of you might decide to put up a protection barrier at the same time someone else decides to cast chain lightning, at which point the lightning will bounce around inside the barrier and fry all of you. Or someone will freeze a river so you can all cross and then someone else will melt it by mistake.

My friends and I had a brief but intense flirtation with Awesomenauts, which is a 2D platformer MOBA. It worked better for me that other MOBAs, but it is still very much one, so if you don't care for those then steer clear. Note that team size is 3.

Heroes of Hammerwatch is a lot of fun co-op. It's a top-down pixel-graphic action RPG where you're slowly progressing through a single dungeon. Floor layouts are randomly generated, but XP is persistent, as is gold and ore if you send it back to town, and you use those resources to slowly grow the town and unlock upgrades for later spelunks.

It's been a while since we played Monaco, but I loved it at the time. It's a cooperative heist game for up to 4 where each of you choose different roles. Like one of you can dig tunnels, while another can charm party guests, sort of thing, until it all goes hilariously wrong and the bullets start firing.

There's always Diablo 3 and its ilk, of course. D3 is very polished, but I preferred Path of Exile, which is pretty much a less pretty/polished version of the same thing but with the world's greatest sphere grid for character progression.

Left 4 Dead 1/2 & Vermintide are both fun if you like wave-based survival games. I get sick of them quick, but they're fine in short bursts.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:28 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
What kinda games are your friends into? Do you want something long-term, or something that's easy to just pick up and play without a commitment?
Let's see, currently we're playing Warframe and Star Wars: The Old Republic, but for various reasons, we've been hoping to branch out more and find other games.

Games that don't require a fast internet connection are nice; Warframe has the issue that only a subset of us can actually play. That said, action games seem to be preferred, which tends to fly in the face of the first preference, so y'know, don't worry too much about a recommendation being ill fitting, because it probably is by some metric already.