The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 08-07-2018, 09:02 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him
Default PEST - A zine about bugs

Good morning. A few weeks ago Bride of Dracula told me about a local pub that was having a Zine Night. Yes, zines! The things that have not at all been left in the previous century. So I said "why aren't we making one?"

And then we made one!

We collaborated on the content, then I researched and wrote it, then she illustrated it. Here is our table:

And here is a link to the contents of the zine, if'n you'd like to peruse them.

The actual event was pretty amazing. Apparently it's gone on for several years, but the two guys who'd usually organized it had kinda half-assed it this year, so a friend of Jenna's had all-but taken over. There weren't a lot of people, but the people that were there were very enthusiastic. We got to talk about bugs a lot which is always a plus. Comic artist Nate Powell was also there.

Also, Bride of Drac is going to be helping organize the next one, which means we'll almost certainly be making a sequel someday!
Old 08-07-2018, 09:16 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Neat!

Zines are a lot of fun. I go to Zinefest Chicago every year, and I volunteer at a library that has a large Zine collection. The best thing about Zines is that people who make them are always really excited to show you what they made. It's infectious.

Your bug zine is wonderful. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Nice!

Also now I'm getting GSQ flashbacks.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Video World S3 is begun!

How do you make a Zine?
Old 08-08-2018, 01:19 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

I think that's up to the user. As long as it's a thing you come up with yourself, and then manufacture it yourself, it's a "zine." They're often subversive in some way, but some folks just use them to further their hobbies 'n stuff. Like I used to read one that would come with old school D&D maps and enemies and stuff that the author came up with.

How we made our 'zine:

1. Brainstormed what we wanted to show
2. Drafted the text in google docs (I did this)
3. Drew the illustrations and wrote the text onto pages in a sketchbook (Bride of Drac did this)
4. Scanned the pages, arranged them into an indesign booklet, and printed & stapled them (I did this)
5. Brought them to a cool zine show and met cool people who wanted to buy zines (we both did this, and brought along a mantis and a toy skeleton as well)