The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessentity View Post
Are you using a PSONE emulator? ePSXe lets you use the disk directly, no need to create an ISO.
Right, but at like 1 frame per second. If I can't get an ISO I can't do it.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 PM
The Great Cave Offensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
My suggestion? Arrr.
Old 09-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Random guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Which programs did you try? There's a bunch of them:

Alcohol 120%
Clone CD
WinISO (not sure if that one still exists)
ISO Buster

Does the disc work on, say, your PS3? If not, there might be a problem with the disc. Or your CD-ROM drive. Did you try ripping the CD with another drive?

Then there are more... illegal solutions... but I'm not going to discuss that here.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Pronouns: She/Her

Okay yeah, I've been trying for four days and whenever I click any picture/IMG url autocopier on my photobucket album, it freezes up, though I can still refresh the page.

Help?
Old 09-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Busy With School

While I'd suggest getting someone else to copy the url and work from there...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g5...011_220236.png

It doesn't look like your captures are named in an easy to sort through fashion (like RS - #). Try using a different browser.

...By the way, did you really have to capture every single line of dialogue?
Old 09-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
Try using a different browser.

...By the way, did you really have to capture every single line of dialogue?
Haven't thought of using a different browser; I haven't had problems with this one before, but I'll try that.

I use them to summarize, since there's no script.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:36 PM
"Just My Style!"

Hey guys, since I'm going to be doing a game not many seem to know/care about on the PSP, I want to try and make it interesting by breaking it. And by break I mean obliterate. So I have the game, I know how I'm gonna do it. Just one issue:how to take pictures. I'm using a fat PSP-1000. I've found two programs that could help with the picture taking: cwcheat and PCTv2 screenshot plugin. I want to use cwcheat because, well, I hate grinding. And I can show off some hidden thing better that way. If I have to, I'll use the latter program and just take longer to update. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 PM
It's joke

Cwcheat has a screenshot taking feature. I triggered it a few times accidentally when I was playing SotN. Couldn't tell you how though.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:42 PM
"Just My Style!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiler View Post
Cwcheat has a screenshot taking feature. I triggered it a few times accidentally when I was playing SotN. Couldn't tell you how though.
Oh, I know it can, and you must've set it to some button you don't use that often. Honestly, I'd rather use cwcheat, but I'm having issues getting it onto my psp.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:18 PM
It's joke

So after getting a new graphics card I am getting a sweet 60 fps while recording STALKER but on the flip side the encoding for this 26 minute video is going on 3 hours. Nothing can go 100% right! To be fair I shouldn't have tried making the video as good looking as possible when it is just a copy for commentators. MeGui why you gotta be this way?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM
Back to Front

Pronouns: he/him/his

I've started recording videos for my LP and that part's worked out fine so far, but whenever I compress a video in VirtualDub it comes out as a pixelly, j-pegish mess. Does anyone know how I can make videos not look like shit? I've looked at the Filters option, but there's so many to choose from I don't even know where to begin to start.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Not for resale

You could try using a better codec. x264vfw works pretty well for me in getting a good mix of reasonable file size and reasonable quality. If that doesn't help, more details on how you're processing the videos would definitely help in our ability to provide better advice.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Back to Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
You could try using a better codec. x264vfw works pretty well for me in getting a good mix of reasonable file size and reasonable quality. If that doesn't help, more details on how you're processing the videos would definitely help in our ability to provide better advice.
It helps a bit, but it's kind of a small difference. As for processing, I basically follow this to the letter. Hope that helps...
Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Not for resale

Sounds like your source video might have some features that commonly cause lower video quality when re-encoding. Have you watched the unmodified video to confirm that the problem is definitely being caused by VDub? Also, if you're not making any modifications to the video itself (ie. not adding any overlay effects or anything like that), you might as well set it to Direct Stream Copy instead of Full Processing Mode and not bother with the re-encode.

Beyond that, I can't help much. I've always left the settings at default for my encoders and gotten reasonably good results.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:42 PM
Back to Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Sounds like your source video might have some features that commonly cause lower video quality when re-encoding. Have you watched the unmodified video to confirm that the problem is definitely being caused by VDub?
Indeed I have; whatever is happening during the encoding process, it's not turning out very well.

Quote:
Also, if you're not making any modifications to the video itself (ie. not adding any overlay effects or anything like that), you might as well set it to Direct Stream Copy instead of Full Processing Mode and not bother with the re-encode.
I'll try that and see if it works.

Quote:
Beyond that, I can't help much. I've always left the settings at default for my encoders and gotten reasonably good results.
Don't worry about it; if all else fails I can just dick around with the settings until I get it fixed. I appreciate your help! Edit: Speaking of dicking around with the settings, that seems to have worked! I had to enable the "Zero Latency" and "VirtualDub Hack" options in x264vfw, as well as add sharpness and smoothing filters to the video, and now it looks great! Once again, thank you, Sky Render; if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have thought of using a different codec at all.

Last edited by Soren Highwind; 11-03-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
hang high, soft star

I am about to put my fucking fist through the computer screen. Why are you not creating a .pass file Virtual Dub? I told you where to put it, I followed the instructions perfectly, and yet its still throwing a bullshit error message at me.

Alright...apparently the stuff I'm recording is corrupted data or something...god damn it.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Not for resale

Destroying your monitor will just make the problem worse, but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that! It sounds like, from what you've deduced, you need to check your recording method and find out what's messing up with it.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 PM
hang high, soft star

Ok, so apparently the problem lies solely in how fucking shitty the newest Xvid installer is, because I can compress my videos using other encoders just fine. The Xvid installer is literally not installing files it needs in order to function correctly, its a fucking joke. Oh well, for you guys looking for a codec solution, check out the CamStudio Loseless Codec, its the best thing I've found for both capturing video with Camstudio as well as functioning pretty well for compression in Virtual Dub. The lossy codecs are predictably shitty, it would have been nice if they were labled that way...is there even a legitimate use for lossy video codecs that couldn't be solved by better compression on the back end instead of capturing shitty video to begin with? In any case I think I'm just about done with step 2.

If there's a better way to go about this by all means let me know, please.

Oh yeah, Media Encoder's h.264 codec doesn't work out of the box either. I don't know if I'm just getting a string of technical errors on my end or Gredlen's guides are sorely out of date.

Edit: Oh wonderful now the Camstudio Codec is spitting out an error message at me when I try to use the actual compression bit instead of just the screen capture bit. Why is everything related to even the simplest of tasks in video editing harder than trying to walk to the fucking moon?

Edit the second: Well I think I've found a way to finangle my way into something, but it is driving me batty that I don't understand what the devil was causing those earlier. Once this thing gets finished uploading to Youtube I guess we'll see.

Edit the third: Here, have a video. *collapses into a heap*

Last edited by Serephine; 11-10-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Objection!

I would recommend getting CCCP, then. It's a pre-packaged batch of codecs intended more for the fansubbing community, but it's also still basically every codec you could ever need. And I've never had issues encoding to XviD with that installed.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Give it some velly!

I think I might have an idea for my next LP, but I need to ask... What's a good way to take screenshots of a DS game? Is there a particular emulator I should use, or outside program?

Ideally, I'd like a method that acts like Dolphin does: press button, picture's saved and numbered.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 PM

DeSmuME is the only decent DS emulator I know of, but for some reason it doesn't do automatically-sequential screenshots like everybody else—instead, if you want to guarantee sequential screenshots you need to set the filename format field to something like "%f_%Y%M%D.%h%m%s", where:

%f is the ROM filename minus extension;
%Y is the system-defined year;
%M is the system-defined month;
%D is the system-defined day;
%h is the system-defined hour;
%m is the system-defined minute;
%s is the system-defined second; and
%r is a randomly-generated number between 0 and RAND_MAX (not defined anywhere that I know of).
Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Give it some velly!

No$GBA is what I typically use, but they seem to be even worse on that front. Their menu-listed screenshot button? PrtScn.

DeSmuME's approach sounds... questionable, too. Hmm, what to do...
Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Not for resale

Unless you're going to be mashing the screenshot key more than once a second, you could omit the randomly-generated number from the above and get a sequential set of screenshots. Granted, they wouldn't be uniformly sequential, but it would at least make sorting easier. Programs exist to batch-rename files to fit a sequence, so that would add at worst one or two extra steps (as opposed to an extra step per screenshot). If you're going to need more than one shot per second, keep the random number and just sort by timestamp when you process the files in a batch renaming program.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Give it some velly!

Mmm, okay then! After some further examination, DeSmuME and the advice I've been given should be suitable for my needs. Let's just go make a claim...
Old 01-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Any idea why Dosbox Avi recorder would pick up the music and sounds from an AGI Sierra game but not from their SCI games?

I'm trying to record video but its not capturing sound and I'm doing it the same way I've done every other one...?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:51 PM
It's joke

So after getting more than halfway through the first Stalker game, I've finally decided to figure out why my videos look so wonky. So far I have had no luck. x264 2Pass hasn't been working that great. It seems that it desaturated some of the color, and it adds some pixelation to the videos most of the time.

So far I've also tried 2pass xvid, and that only looks worse.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 PM

Okay, so. I have a PSP-1000 with CFW 6.60 Pro-B10 and RemoteJoyLive 0.19 installed (no other plugins). RJL works fine up until I try to play an ISO game from my memory stick, at which point it stops displaying via RJL.

The author of a video clip I used to help me install RJL properly said this happens all the time and the solution he recommends is simply closing RJL on the PC, unplugging the PSP, starting RJL, and then plugging the PSP back in again. This does not cause the PSP to display via RJL.

What, if anything, am I doing wrong? Is there anything I need to do that I haven't done?

(Brickroad, feel free to ignore the PM I sent you.)

EDIT: Also, I can't seem to set it up so I can use my X360 controller with it, and it's not responding to keyboard input either, aside from the built-in hotkeys.

EDIT 2: After some experimentation, it doesn't seem to matter which ISO loader I use (it defaulted to Inferno), either.

EDIT 3: Solved a few weeks back by locating and installing a RJL compiled against CFW 6.60 Pro-B10. You may go about your business.

Last edited by Aerdan; 03-05-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Take Lots With Alcohol

Are people still having good luck with Camstudio? It's not loading codecs for me (win7 64bit), and it didn't record after I hit the hotkey.
I was thinking of sprining of FRAPS, but the videos it makes are so huge that i'd need to buy another hard drive as well.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM
SEASON'S BEATINGS

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Okay so I wasn't lying when I said I was gonna do a proper Let's Play of I wanna Be the guy. I've just been somewhat preoccupied the last few days, what with BEST VACATION and BEATPAD GET. But the vacation is over and the House stuff is just gonna be hours and hours of work taking up my every weekend, so that's all good.

What I need is a thing where I can hit a button on my keyboard and It'll immediately save a screenshot to my hard drive.

Preferably the button would be spacebar, so I can hit that shit whenever I need to without abandoning the crucial jump and shoot keys.

What would you guys suggest?
Old 04-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Irfanview is a good thing for doing things. I'm not sure if it will let you map it to spacebar, but it might!

Tags
how do i screenshot web , tech support