The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

I keep recommending this, as it's the system I use, but since you otherwise only have a Mac and a Laptop, the only "capture card" you can get is something like an external USB capture device. You don't have the means to install a card inside your systems.

As for processing, iMovie could do it, but there's also Windows tools that can do it, from Premiere Elements (for $), or using Nandub/VirtualDub (free, but way rougher). Brick just a bit above talked about what he does.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 PM

Actually there's also this here Windows LC of proper little mini-tower construction I suppose.

But anyway, just for clarification, were I to get the cheapest option of This Thing Here, all I need to do is hook things up all Console -> TV -> This Thing -> Computer, get some software for recording/editing, and I'm set?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Objection!

Actually it would more look like Console -> Vulkano -> TV, and the Vulkano connects to a PC either through wireless or through a cable (as desired). Then yeah, you'd need some software for doing the editing.

As a word of note, the output of a Vulkano is MP4. It's not raw, but it's AMAZING quality for the filesize, but at the same time some processors have trouble handling it. I have to convert the video into MPEG before I process it further. But that doesn't cause me much trouble.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:33 PM
The Goofiest Roebro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQAKJirJZic

I'm using Camtasia to record my video. I'm using a USB headset for the live commentary, but I can't get it in to the Stereo Mix so I can hear the game audio while I'm playing. This leads in to a HILARIOUS bit in a video I recorded that I haven't uploaded yet. Can anyone give me a hand in resolving this so I can hear when the skeletons and zombies are sneaking up on me?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:02 PM
Not for resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQAKJirJZic

I'm using Camtasia to record my video. I'm using a USB headset for the live commentary, but I can't get it in to the Stereo Mix so I can hear the game audio while I'm playing. This leads in to a HILARIOUS bit in a video I recorded that I haven't uploaded yet. Can anyone give me a hand in resolving this so I can hear when the skeletons and zombies are sneaking up on me?
A small adjustment on your setup might potentially do it. I'm guessing you took my advice to use a separate recording computer/device for the commentary? If you only use that headset's microphone for recording your commentary, and slip on some earbuds/headphones for your system that's recording the gameplay footage, it should work. I can't say for sure, though, since I don't know the nitty-gritty details of your setup.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:37 PM
The Goofiest Roebro

I really don't have a way to synchronize audio like that, and I'd like to be able to do it on one machine. I know it's possible, it's just a matter of playing with my settings until I get it right.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:01 PM
It's joke

What I used to do in my Metal Wolf Chaos video is to find something that can make a nice sound, and do it three times while counting to three. Sync the sound between your commentary and the game audio at that point.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:21 PM
The Goofiest Roebro

I actually figured it out not 5 minutes after I posted that message.

I've uploaded the second video, which contains that afore-mentioned HILARIOUS moment.

(note: hilarity may or may not be present)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1GqS0pXty8
Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
As for processing, iMovie could do it, but there's also Windows tools that can do it, from Premiere Elements (for $), or using Nandub/VirtualDub (free, but way rougher). Brick just a bit above talked about what he does.
Quote:
As a word of note, the output of a Vulkano is MP4. It's not raw, but it's AMAZING quality for the filesize, but at the same time some processors have trouble handling it. I have to convert the video into MPEG before I process it further. But that doesn't cause me much trouble.
And... VirtualDub does not recognize MP4 as a valid file type it seems... so yeah, I'm going to need some other program in the mix in order to convert that it seems. Suggestions?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Objection!

MP4 -> MPEG converters are all over the internet. I use TMPGEnc now, because Hamster Free Media Converter stopped handling the specific types of MP4s made by my Vulkano. But I don't know if that's a problem with Hamster or not.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Espurrs are proud.

I'm thinking of maybe starting a Castlevania III LP, but I need to know the best way to make GIFs (for reasons that should be obvious to anyone who's played CV3).
Old 06-23-2012, 02:52 PM
The Great Cave Offensive!

Animated GIFs? gifsicle.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Does it convert from video? CV3 has a lot of extremely smooth animations that I would like to preserve.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Not for resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfut View Post
Does it convert from video? CV3 has a lot of extremely smooth animations that I would like to preserve.
VirtualDub can do that, actually (select Export->Animated GIF from the File menu). Not sure if Gifsicle can.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Informational post for people whose LP content is being hosted on inari:

I will be transitioning the server to a new distribution at some point in the near future. I will post in this thread again at least five days before this occurs so that you aren't caught off-guard.

Thank you for your attention, and as always, please keep backups.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:28 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Hey, person who is doing the Battlecon LP images! (dtsund?) They look pretty similar to what I want to do for another LP. How are you doing it? About how long is each image taking to do?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 PM
Set phasers to hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Hey, person who is doing the Battlecon LP images! (dtsund?) They look pretty similar to what I want to do for another LP. How are you doing it? About how long is each image taking to do?
GIMP. The lower-left and lower-right text boxes are each one layer, the lines are all one layer, each character sprite is its own layer, and so forth. Transparent background, of course.

I made the basic template, which consisted of text layers, the lines, and the character sprites. I didn't make the sprites themselves; I got them from here (16-Bit Standup characters). The font is 26 point C&C Red Alert [INET] with no antialiasing (it looks the same with and without hinting at that size). The icons used to indicate Divine Rush and Elemental form in a few of the images were drawn by Elementalpenguin. Kalir used the template to make most of the images in the thread (the first image in the thread was effectively a sample image I created from the template); he reports that, using the template and only needing to drag around the sprites and rewrite the contents of the text boxes, each image took under five minutes to make.

Making the template took considerably longer, partly because it took quite a bit of experimentation to find an appropriately pixellated font that I liked and find a size at which it doesn't become a blurry and/or jaggy mess, and partly because those sprites were uploaded in jpg form for some ungodly reason and I felt the need to repair them. I won't need to do that again, though, because I fixed them all before making the template.

If you want the template file, feel free to PM me with your email address.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Cool, it sounds like you're doing pretty much what I want to do with a Death Angel LP and that it would be a relatively quick and simple way to put things together. Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Is there a good way to capture photo and/or video footage from an Xbox 360 and move it to a PC? I ask this because there's a game I may have interest in trying to LP at some point, but I need advice on how to do the whole photo/video thing without resorting to emulation. The less homebrew-y, the better.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:06 PM
That Pokemon Guy

You would probably need a Dazzle capture card.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 AM
The Goofiest Roebro

Would same Dazzle card work with component cables for Wii capturing times?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I imagine so. I've not actually used it myself, but I've seen at least ten different "How to LP" videos on Youtube that recommended the same thing.

This is one of them.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:59 AM

At this time, LP authors who are being hosted on inari should contact me in order to be migrated to asena. If you want a full-blown website, rather than just a dumping ground for LP pics, please PM me and I will arrange hosting on fenrir instead.

Some clarification:
inari and asena are low-memory, 20-gig servers suitable for filehosting but not much else. fenrir is a 120-gig server with 2 gigs of RAM, with PHP ans PostgreSQL available. inari is due to be retired soon.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:54 PM
The Goofiest Roebro

I got a HD PVR.

It's neat and all, but I have a horrible audio desynch issue that is probably because I'm operating the PVR on my ancient laptop. I would run it on the desktop, but I need another TV, or at least, a monitor I can go from VGA to Component.

If I try to go straight through the PVR, there's a delay that makes the game unplayable. I'm close, but I need just a little bit more before I can kick off recording Persona 4 videos.

For Phantom Brave, though? I don't need to record videos, but it would help if I were to showcase attack animations and crap. But I can screenshot it just fine.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:10 PM

You're going to need a TV, most definitely. A 19" '720p' TV can be had for ~$100 nearly anywhere in the US, these days.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:18 PM
The Goofiest Roebro

No, I think I can swing it without a TV, actually. I've already got some audio equipment that will give that monitor some audio, and I found exactly the cable I'm looking for ten bucks that will give me Component video to VGA.

And, if that don't work, then I'll go the New TV route.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Is there a codec or driver or something that would boost my mic volume? The thing seems to record quiet as hell even with all the setting maxed out.

Similarly, is there a USB dongle or something that I could plug an old Sure mic into that would get the audio into my computer cleanly? My old computer front end on it (from an old Soundblaster Audiology 2 card) but I was hoping to not have to rip that thing out and figure out drivers and if it would even still work.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:46 AM
"Just My Style!"

Hello! Apparently I have a curse where nothing goes right when I want to LP something for you all! I have taken screen shots of FF Dimensions (on my iPad) and transferred them over to my Mac. Now, I can re-export the IMG files as either jpeg or png files, and the site will accept them. The problem is that when I do a preview, nothing is there. Just the little question mark box and an invalid attackment page. Please help! [Otherwise, I would have to do a horrible camcorder LP, and nobody wants that)
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Objection!

The files come off of the iPad as JPG natively. You shouldn't need to do anything with them except upload.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:39 PM
"Just My Style!"

Quote:
The files come off of the iPad as JPG natively. You shouldn't need to do anything with them except upload.
Awesome. I'll try it.

Tags
how do i screenshot web , tech support