The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-09-2016, 09:25 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He
Default No Man's Sky

So this is out today, and I've been excited for it since it was announced a year or two ago. And I won't be able to play it until tonight or tomorrow, but that's no reason not to make a thread for it now!

This is the closest thing there's been to a Walking Around Simulator that I've actually been excited to play! I mean, it kind of is not one, but it's closest!
Old 08-09-2016, 09:31 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

I want to play this so bad, but this is definitely one of those games not for fathers of babies so I don't suppose I ever will.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

And I'm leaving for a week of vacation today.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
And I'm leaving for a week of vacation today.
Will you be vacationing in the infinite universe of No Man's Sky?
Old 08-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

As a game, it definitely has flaws. The pop-in is awful when you're flying over a planet. I don't like that I have to recharge life support and hazard protection separately, and that apparently life support doesn't help me breathe when I swim. The gameplay loop seems pretty repetitive so far, so if you're goal-oriented you'll be bored out of your skull.

As a toy box, though, it's oodles of fun. It's hard to beat walking around on an alien planet, looking into the sky, seeing a moon, and then flying to that moon. And it's breathtaking when you first break orbit and look back around at the planet you just left. You can explore giant cave systems. You can make friends with animals and follow them around. If you find an abandoned ship, you can repair it and make it your ship. And the underwater environments are amazing. There better be swimming upgrades later.

I doubt I'll get anywhere near the dozens of hours the developers want people to spend on the game, but it's definitely something I can see coming back to over and over again when the mood hits me.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
As a toy box, though, it's oodles of fun. It's hard to beat walking around on an alien planet, looking into the sky, seeing a moon, and then flying to that moon. And it's breathtaking when you first break orbit and look back around at the planet you just left. You can explore giant cave systems. You can make friends with animals and follow them around. If you find an abandoned ship, you can repair it and make it your ship. And the underwater environments are amazing. There better be swimming upgrades later.

I doubt I'll get anywhere near the dozens of hours the developers want people to spend on the game, but it's definitely something I can see coming back to over and over again when the mood hits me.
Sort of what Im looking for. Sounds like the perfect way to unwind after work.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:30 AM
What's Shenmue?

Pronouns: He/Him

I don't yet have a PS4, so I've been satiating myself by listening the soundtrack. It's very good.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:56 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I have too many games on my docket right now, but I'll be picking this up eventually. I've heard mostly good things!
Old 08-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Chaotic Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Will you be vacationing in the infinite universe of No Man's Sky?
No. I'll be in Flagstaff.

Damnit.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:15 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
No. I'll be in Flagstaff.

Damnit.
Whats the temperature like in Flagstaff this time of year?
Old 08-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Chaotic Good

Highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s. Never been before, myself.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:28 AM
Minnesota Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
I want to play this so bad, but this is definitely one of those games not for fathers of babies so I don't suppose I ever will.
I game at night with baby on my chest. YOU CAN DO THIS.

Granted she's still a sleepy baby...
Old 08-09-2016, 11:31 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Whats the temperature like in Flagstaff this time of year?
And how many sauropods are there?

Because that's a strong indicator of which place is better
Old 08-09-2016, 12:15 PM
Good Bee

Like so many others, I'm waiting to bite the bullet on this one until someone else verifies whether this is or is not Spore.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Kat is streaming it right now for US Gamer
Old 08-09-2016, 12:20 PM
We just don't know.

I'm super excited for this but maybe not quite $60 excited, at least until my income flow returns.

But something something soundtrack.

(I already bought the soundtrack because it was also The New Album from my favorite band)
Old 08-09-2016, 12:35 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I'm boycotting this SEXIST game. Why can't it be NO WOMAN'S SKY?!

Disgusting. Women have every right to have the sky denied to them as men do. I can't believe that in 2016 this is still happening. Disgraceful!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:39 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Sorry, ladies only up there.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Mystery Contraption

#NotAllSkies
Old 08-09-2016, 12:49 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

That's what I'm saying. Men aren't allowed into the sky, so why aren't women NOT ALLOWED ALSO? It's about equality.

Look I'm out of jokes now, but hey, the soundtrack is really good, as others have said. It's not what I expected at all but it's pretty sick. I was expecting it to be electronic and synth-y but it's basically a bunch of postrock stuff, which is pretty unexpected.

This game seems interesting but...I dunno. I don't know what it'll take to convince me to get it (time/price drop, most likely) but it does seem very interesting.

Edit: I just realized I said it was unexpected twice, and then that it was interesting twice. I need coffee, I think.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Bob

Man, I have nothing useful to add, other than as someone who (used) to play soundtracks on the radio and heartily enjoy Disasterpeace's soundtracks to FEZ and Hyper Light Drifter, I'm really enjoying this postrock soundtrack. I only wish this came out for PC because I feel like I'd really enjoy the experience!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:58 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

They're shooting for the PC version to come out on the 12th, but it may get delayed a bit more. Either way, it's relatively soon!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Bob

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I'm a freaking idiot!
Old 08-09-2016, 01:43 PM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Like so many others, I'm waiting to bite the bullet on this one until someone else verifies whether this is or is not Spore.
It seems like they've been smart about reigning in the 4X/Derek Smart/"make ANYTHING and build ANYTHING" ambitions that overload projects like this, and sticking with a relatively mellow exploration game. That won't stop people from projecting those expectations onto the game and getting disappointed when they can't create a fleet of Star Destroyers, of course.

To paraphrase a tweet, it's a chill entry in a genre (and medium) with absolutely no chill
Old 08-09-2016, 01:46 PM
We just don't know.

If this game does nothing but expose a wide new audience to 65daysofstatic then it was more than worth it. To the music forum!
Old 08-09-2016, 02:58 PM

I'm very conflicted about this game. I was hoping there'd be more of a narrative or objective to things.

But at the same time, the endless amount of things to find and explore seem so goddamn cool. I've been watching people play this all day, and every person is doing different stuff. One was mostly flying around hunting down space pirates. One was making trades with local space station traders, trying to decipher their language. Another dude was spelunking in underwater caves. Another dude was just cruising at high altitude around some crazy snow planet. Like, it just seems endless. I could really get lost in a game like this, even if there isn't a lot of action or objectives.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:10 PM

Where we're going we don't need roads!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Mystery Contraption

I got off my (super uninteresting) first planet and discovered a new world with floating mountains and large armored wolves with butt-mouths.

I will call this place... home
Old 08-10-2016, 01:57 PM

Started this last night. I wanted to play a bit of Overwatch first so I didn't start till 10:30 PM, figuring I'd play an hour or two and didn't stop playing till 4:30 AM...

My starter planet had toxic rain, which was an added complication. I've manged to die once so far, which results in you losing your suit's inventory but drops a marker in the world that you can return to and reclaim it.

I pre-ordered so I had access to a new ship right away but read online it's generally not a good idea to immediately switch to it because it'll mess up the tutorial flow which has you repair your starter ship and eventually guides you along to installing a hyperdrive, which the pre-order ship comes preinstalled with. So I'm still tooling around my starter star system, though I've built the hyperdrive and fueled it, just haven't bothered jumping to a new system yet.

All the systems in the game are fairly simple, but involved enough to hook you if you like collecting blueprints and building upgrades. Near as I can tell you can't actually crash your ship into anything, at least not a planet as the ship will not actually fly into the ground or other obstacles.

I have a few minor issues with the game so far. I had to up the stick sensitivity a lot for it to control better, but it's still feels kind of off. The button assignment are also kind of weird to but I got acclimated pretty quickly. As others have noted, the FOV seems kind of strange, more zoomed in than in most FPS games. I'm also not a huge fan of the overall interface design using a cursor you have to click and hold over options; I'm not sure why navigating menus with the d-pad isn't possible; I guess they expect most PC users will be mouse and keyboard?
Old 08-10-2016, 02:14 PM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
I pre-ordered so I had access to a new ship right away but read online it's generally not a good idea to immediately switch to it because it'll mess up the tutorial flow which has you repair your starter ship and eventually guides you along to installing a hyperdrive, which the pre-order ship comes preinstalled with.
They were talking about this on the Giant Bombcast this week and it strikes me as a baffling design decision. Seems like it doesn't even tell you that you've inadvertently skipped part of the tutorial? Bizarre stuff.

Tags
hello games , space , the final frontier , these are the voyages