The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 10-22-2017, 04:50 PM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,954
Default

Move the scarab to another disk and see if anything happens.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 10-26-2017, 03:17 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Move the scarab to another disk and see if anything happens.
Sounds good to me. First, though, I never took a look at the stuff here or in the Burial Chamber, so I'll do that first.

>w
Burial Chamber
Wedged under the top of the doorway, perpendicular to the floor, is the wooden beam.

>examine sarcophagus
The sarcophagus is closed.


And, if it's closed...

>open sarcophagus
You tug, push, pull, yank and generally tire yourself out trying to open the cover until you take a moment, wipe your brow, and look around. You notice that the cover is being held in place by the statues.


Let's try taking a better look at the statues, then.

>examine statue
Which statue do you mean, the Isis statue, the Selkis statue, the Neith statue, or the Nephthys statue?


Might as well examine them all.

>examine isis
I see nothing special about the Isis statue.


And the other three probably have the same description, so let's look around some more.

>examine coffin
The sarcophagus is closed.


Wait...since it's in the room description, I shouldn't have to open the sarcophagus just to look at it. :P

Anyway, the only other things of note in here are the two recesses, so might as well look at those.

>examine large recess
The area is recessed about an inch below the quartz cover.
The larger recess is empty.

>examine small recess
The area is recessed about an inch below the quartz cover.
The smaller recess is empty.


Which implies that we'll have to put something in them...but what? Anyway, that's the Burial Chamber explored, so let's head back to the Treasury and actually try Gerad's suggestion.

>e
Treasury
In the room is a large, granite table. Cut out from the top of this table are three circles of polished granite. The left disc is empty, and it is one inch above the top of the table. Sitting on the middle disc is a scarab, and the middle disc is slightly below the top of the table. The right disc is empty, and it is one inch above the top of the table.

>examine scarab
Etched onto its back is the following:

>*>


Translation: "Scarab." Pretty obvious, but let's try moving it.

>take scarab
As soon as you lift the scarab from the disc, the left and right discs rise far enough above the surface of the table to activate a mechanism. You hear it click just before the ceiling comes down to meet the floor.

**** You have died ****


About what I expected, really. How to solve this puzzle?

Exits:
None.

Inventory:
A pick axe
A knapsack (being worn)
  • An ancient book
A bronze torch (lit and burning)
A silver chalice
A golden chalice
A pink jar
  • A liquid (oily and volatile-smelling, apparently flammable)
A canteen
  • A quantity of water
A matchbook
  • A few matches

Score:
Your score is 355 out of a possible 400, in 493 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a very good adventurer.

Current puzzles:
Opening the sarcophagus.
Getting the scarab without being crushed.

Maps
Surface:
Code:
  k a f
  | | |
d-c-b-e-g
  | | |
l-j-h-o-
  | |\|
  m-i-n-q-r
    |
    p
a=Your Tent
b=Outside Your Tent
c=Near the Nile
d=River Bank
e=Northern Path
f=Desert
g=Desert
h=Fire Pit
i=Outside Work Tent
j=Outside Supply Tent
k=Desert
l=Supply Tent
m=Southern Path
n=Southern Path
o=Middle Path
p=Work Tent
q=Desert
r=Desert (down to Chamber of Ra)

Pyramid, main area:
Code:
i       n
 \     /
  g   k
   \ /
    f
   /|\
  l | h
 /  |  \
m b-a-d j
    |
    c
    |
    e
a=Chamber of Ra (altar; up to Desert [r])
b=to Cube (b)
c=South Landing
d=to Cube (c)
e=to Narrow Hallway
f=Circular Room (golden cluster)
g=Northwest Hallway (broken statue, broken head)
h=Southeast Hallway
i=Room of Nephthys
j=Room of Neith
k=Northeast Hallway
l=Southwest Hallway
m=Room of Isis
n=Room of Selkis

Pyramid, Cube area
Code:
  i-j-k
  | | |
a-b-d-c-a g
  | |     |
  h-e-----f
a=to Chamber of Ra
b=Cube
c=Cube
d=Cube
e=Cube (papyrus scroll, first brick, third brick, fifth brick)
f=Turning Passage
g=Top of Stairway (down to Bottom of Stairs)
h=Cube
i=Cube
j=Cube
k=Cube

Pyramid, Antechamber area
Code:
  i-j
  |
  h
  |
  e-d-c-b-a
  |
g-f
a=Bottom of Stairs (up to Top of Stairway)
b=Narrow Passageway
c=Narrow Passageway
d=Narrow Passageway
e=Antechamber
f=Antechamber
g=Annex (slab, seam, four holes, knapsack)
h=Antechamber
i=Burial Chamber (sarcophagus, large recess, small recess, goddess statues)
j=Treasury (three discs, scarab; you are here)

Pyramid, barge and temple area
Code:
  r-q-t
  | | |
  s p u
    |
    o
    |
    n
    |
    m
    |
i---j---k
|       |
| f-e-g |
|   |   |
h---d---l
     \
    a c
    |/
    b
a=to South Landing
b=Narrow Hallway
c=Narrow Hallway (hieroglyphs)
d=Barge Chamber
e=Center of Barge
f=Fore Cabin (shovel)
g=Aft Cabin (down to Below Deck)
h=Barge Chamber
i=Barge Chamber
j=Barge Chamber
k=Barge Chamber
l=Barge Chamber
m=Steep Passageway
n=Steep Passageway
o=Steep Passageway
p=Temple Chamber
r=Inner Chamber (jeweled ring, skeleton)
s=Golden Room
t=Golden Alcove
u=Silver Room
v=Silver Alcove (navigation box, ancient map)

Barge, lower decks
Code:
b-a
a=Below Deck (up to Aft Cabin)
b=West End of Hold (knothole, beam, shim)

Deaths: 10 (eaten by crocodiles, fell down the stairs and broke my neck, burned to death, devoured by an army of friendly rats, poisoned by a ring, dropped a burning torch on a wooden barge, fell into a den of ravenous rats, crushed by moving walls, head smashed by a stone block, crushed by a falling ceiling)
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 10-26-2017, 05:28 AM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,689
Default

ah, the ole Indiana Jones Switcheroo. How much do you estimate the scarab weighs?
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 10-26-2017, 05:33 AM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,689
Default

Here's the actual answer pulled from heiroglyphs back when we found the gold and silver chalices:

Quote:
This translates to "balance the gold and the silver and remove the Queen's scarab," probably a hint for later. But let's see what's to the south.
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 10-29-2017, 04:04 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
Here's the actual answer pulled from heiroglyphs back when we found the gold and silver chalices:

This translates to "balance the gold and the silver and remove the Queen's scarab," probably a hint for later. But let's see what's to the south.
I'm impressed that you remembered this clue, especially since I'd forgotten it. But let's try it.

>put gold chalice on right disc
Done.

>put silver chalice on left disc
Done.


And, with the gold and silver balanced...

>take scarab
As soon as you lift the scarab from the disc, the left and right discs rise far enough above the surface of the table to activate a mechanism. You hear it click just before the ceiling comes down to meet the floor.

**** You have died ****


Guess that there's more to it than that. I will say that this is the right path, but there's one more step. Can you figure it out?

Exits:
None.

Inventory:
A pick axe
A knapsack (being worn)
  • An ancient book
A bronze torch (lit and burning)
A silver chalice
A golden chalice
A pink jar
  • A liquid (oily and volatile-smelling, apparently flammable)
A canteen
  • A quantity of water
A matchbook
  • A few matches

Score:
Your score is 355 out of a possible 400, in 486 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a very good adventurer.

Current puzzles:
Opening the sarcophagus.
Getting the scarab without being crushed.

Maps
Surface:
Code:
  k a f
  | | |
d-c-b-e-g
  | | |
l-j-h-o-
  | |\|
  m-i-n-q-r
    |
    p
a=Your Tent
b=Outside Your Tent
c=Near the Nile
d=River Bank
e=Northern Path
f=Desert
g=Desert
h=Fire Pit
i=Outside Work Tent
j=Outside Supply Tent
k=Desert
l=Supply Tent
m=Southern Path
n=Southern Path
o=Middle Path
p=Work Tent
q=Desert
r=Desert (down to Chamber of Ra)

Pyramid, main area:
Code:
i       n
 \     /
  g   k
   \ /
    f
   /|\
  l | h
 /  |  \
m b-a-d j
    |
    c
    |
    e
a=Chamber of Ra (altar; up to Desert [r])
b=to Cube (b)
c=South Landing
d=to Cube (c)
e=to Narrow Hallway
f=Circular Room (golden cluster)
g=Northwest Hallway (broken statue, broken head)
h=Southeast Hallway
i=Room of Nephthys
j=Room of Neith
k=Northeast Hallway
l=Southwest Hallway
m=Room of Isis
n=Room of Selkis

Pyramid, Cube area
Code:
  i-j-k
  | | |
a-b-d-c-a g
  | |     |
  h-e-----f
a=to Chamber of Ra
b=Cube
c=Cube
d=Cube
e=Cube (papyrus scroll, first brick, third brick, fifth brick)
f=Turning Passage
g=Top of Stairway (down to Bottom of Stairs)
h=Cube
i=Cube
j=Cube
k=Cube

Pyramid, Antechamber area
Code:
  i-j
  |
  h
  |
  e-d-c-b-a
  |
g-f
a=Bottom of Stairs (up to Top of Stairway)
b=Narrow Passageway
c=Narrow Passageway
d=Narrow Passageway
e=Antechamber
f=Antechamber
g=Annex (slab, seam, four holes, knapsack)
h=Antechamber
i=Burial Chamber (sarcophagus, large recess, small recess, goddess statues)
j=Treasury (three discs, scarab; you are here)

Pyramid, barge and temple area
Code:
  r-q-t
  | | |
  s p u
    |
    o
    |
    n
    |
    m
    |
i---j---k
|       |
| f-e-g |
|   |   |
h---d---l
     \
    a c
    |/
    b
a=to South Landing
b=Narrow Hallway
c=Narrow Hallway (hieroglyphs)
d=Barge Chamber
e=Center of Barge
f=Fore Cabin (shovel)
g=Aft Cabin (down to Below Deck)
h=Barge Chamber
i=Barge Chamber
j=Barge Chamber
k=Barge Chamber
l=Barge Chamber
m=Steep Passageway
n=Steep Passageway
o=Steep Passageway
p=Temple Chamber
r=Inner Chamber (jeweled ring, skeleton)
s=Golden Room
t=Golden Alcove
u=Silver Room
v=Silver Alcove (navigation box, ancient map)

Barge, lower decks
Code:
b-a
a=Below Deck (up to Aft Cabin)
b=West End of Hold (knothole, beam, shim)

Deaths: 10 (eaten by crocodiles, fell down the stairs and broke my neck, burned to death, devoured by an army of friendly rats, poisoned by a ring, dropped a burning torch on a wooden barge, fell into a den of ravenous rats, crushed by moving walls, head smashed by a stone block, crushed by a falling ceiling)
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 10-29-2017, 06:37 AM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,954
Default

Sounds like the balancing part is key. What do the discs look like after we put the chalices on them?
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 10-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,689
Default

uh, put both on one side?
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 11-04-2017, 05:35 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
uh, put both on one side?
Maybe, but first, Gerad inquired about what the discs look like after we put the chalices on them, so let's do that.

>look
Treasury
You are in the Chamber of Reconstitution of the Body, the Treasury. To the west is a doorway leading back into the Burial Chamber.
In the room is a large, granite table. Cut out from the top of this table are three circles of polished granite. Sitting on the left disc is a silver chalice, and the left disc is three inches above the top of the table. Sitting on the middle disc is a scarab, and the middle disc is slightly below the top of the table. Sitting on the right disc is a golden chalice, and the right disc is three inches below the top of the table.


Seems that the silver chalice is lighter, which may be important. Anyway, let's try seeing if putting both chalices on one side works.

>take golden chalice
Taken.

>put it on left disc
There's no room. The silver chalice is already on the left disc.


Guess not. However, I think I've given you enough clues to figure out how to solve this, so let's see if you can.

Exits:
None.

Inventory:
A pick axe
A knapsack (being worn)
  • An ancient book
A bronze torch (lit and burning)
A silver chalice (lighter than the golden chalice)
A golden chalice
A pink jar
  • A liquid (oily and volatile-smelling, apparently flammable)
A canteen
  • A quantity of water
A matchbook
  • A few matches

Score:
Your score is 355 out of a possible 400, in 486 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a very good adventurer.

Current puzzles:
Opening the sarcophagus.
Getting the scarab without being crushed.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 11-05-2017, 05:41 AM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,954
Default

It said to balance them, so I think that's the key. Can we fill the silver one with water, or lighter fluid?
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 11-11-2017, 11:42 PM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
It said to balance them, so I think that's the key. Can we fill the silver one with water, or lighter fluid?
Sounds good to me!

>pour water in silver chalice
Okay. The silver chalice has been filled, but the canteen is now empty.

>put gold chalice on right disc
Done.

>put silver chalice on left disc
Done.


And now, let's try seeing if that worked.

>take scarab
Taken.


And we've got the scarab! Now all we need is the crown and staff, and...oh, wait. That's another game. Anyway, what to do now?

Exits:
None.

Inventory:
A scarab
A pick axe
A knapsack (being worn)
  • An ancient book
A bronze torch (lit and burning)
A silver chalice (lighter than the golden chalice)
A golden chalice
A pink jar
  • A liquid (oily and volatile-smelling, apparently flammable)
A canteen
  • A quantity of water
A matchbook
  • A few matches

Score:
Your score is 365 out of a possible 400, in 486 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a very good adventurer.

Current puzzles:
Opening the sarcophagus.

Maps
Surface:
Code:
  k a f
  | | |
d-c-b-e-g
  | | |
l-j-h-o-
  | |\|
  m-i-n-q-r
    |
    p
a=Your Tent
b=Outside Your Tent
c=Near the Nile
d=River Bank
e=Northern Path
f=Desert
g=Desert
h=Fire Pit
i=Outside Work Tent
j=Outside Supply Tent
k=Desert
l=Supply Tent
m=Southern Path
n=Southern Path
o=Middle Path
p=Work Tent
q=Desert
r=Desert (down to Chamber of Ra)

Pyramid, main area:
Code:
i       n
 \     /
  g   k
   \ /
    f
   /|\
  l | h
 /  |  \
m b-a-d j
    |
    c
    |
    e
a=Chamber of Ra (altar; up to Desert [r])
b=to Cube (b)
c=South Landing
d=to Cube (c)
e=to Narrow Hallway
f=Circular Room (golden cluster)
g=Northwest Hallway (broken statue, broken head)
h=Southeast Hallway
i=Room of Nephthys
j=Room of Neith
k=Northeast Hallway
l=Southwest Hallway
m=Room of Isis
n=Room of Selkis

Pyramid, Cube area
Code:
  i-j-k
  | | |
a-b-d-c-a g
  | |     |
  h-e-----f
a=to Chamber of Ra
b=Cube
c=Cube
d=Cube
e=Cube (papyrus scroll, first brick, third brick, fifth brick)
f=Turning Passage
g=Top of Stairway (down to Bottom of Stairs)
h=Cube
i=Cube
j=Cube
k=Cube

Pyramid, Antechamber area
Code:
  i-j
  |
  h
  |
  e-d-c-b-a
  |
g-f
a=Bottom of Stairs (up to Top of Stairway)
b=Narrow Passageway
c=Narrow Passageway
d=Narrow Passageway
e=Antechamber
f=Antechamber
g=Annex (slab, seam, four holes, knapsack)
h=Antechamber
i=Burial Chamber (sarcophagus, large recess, small recess, goddess statues)
j=Treasury (three discs, scarab; you are here)

Pyramid, barge and temple area
Code:
  r-q-t
  | | |
  s p u
    |
    o
    |
    n
    |
    m
    |
i---j---k
|       |
| f-e-g |
|   |   |
h---d---l
     \
    a c
    |/
    b
a=to South Landing
b=Narrow Hallway
c=Narrow Hallway (hieroglyphs)
d=Barge Chamber
e=Center of Barge
f=Fore Cabin (shovel)
g=Aft Cabin (down to Below Deck)
h=Barge Chamber
i=Barge Chamber
j=Barge Chamber
k=Barge Chamber
l=Barge Chamber
m=Steep Passageway
n=Steep Passageway
o=Steep Passageway
p=Temple Chamber
r=Inner Chamber (jeweled ring, skeleton)
s=Golden Room
t=Golden Alcove
u=Silver Room
v=Silver Alcove (navigation box, ancient map)

Barge, lower decks
Code:
b-a
a=Below Deck (up to Aft Cabin)
b=West End of Hold (knothole, beam, shim)

Deaths: 10 (eaten by crocodiles, fell down the stairs and broke my neck, burned to death, devoured by an army of friendly rats, poisoned by a ring, dropped a burning torch on a wooden barge, fell into a den of ravenous rats, crushed by moving walls, head smashed by a stone block, crushed by a falling ceiling)
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 11-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,954
Default

I think this is our clue:

"Place the book on the Queen large area and the scarab on the Queen small area."

But I'm not sure what to do with that...we have both the items, but where do they go? Maybe on the sarcophagus?
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 11-14-2017, 05:06 AM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,689
Default

Yup. When we first came in the room description described a large and a small niche in the top of the sarcophagus. Kahran looked at both a little bit ago to draw attention to them, but I had completely forgotten where the clue was for what to do with them.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:16 PM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

We do, indeed, have to place the book and scarab in those spaces. So let's do that.

>w
Burial Chamber
Wedged under the top of the doorway, perpendicular to the floor, is the wooden beam.

>drop knapsack
You take the knapsack off and place it down. As it settles, the cover flaps open.

>get book
Taken.

>put book in large recess
The book now rests in the larger area on the cover of the sarcophagus.

>put scarab in small recess
Done.
You hear a clicking sound come from beneath all of the statues as you place the scarab within the smaller outlined area on the cover.


Looks like it worked. But what to do now?

Exits:
None.

Inventory:
A pick axe
A knapsack (being worn)
A bronze torch (lit and burning)
A silver chalice (lighter than the golden chalice)
A golden chalice
A pink jar
  • A liquid (oily and volatile-smelling, apparently flammable)
A canteen
  • A quantity of water
A matchbook
  • A few matches

Score:
Your score is 365 out of a possible 400, in 494 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a very good adventurer.

Current puzzles:
Opening the sarcophagus.
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,954
Default

Shove the statues away! Pickaxe them to gravel!
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 11-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,689
Default

take the loot.

I sure hope we get rescued in the post game text or something because unlike say Planetfall, we're not working at all toward finding a way home. (I get that its a game about exploring a pyramid and you have to be somehow constrained to the area the game is programmed for. Its just a nagging feeling. A gold sarcophagus is going to solve our survival problems.)
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 11-15-2017, 10:10 AM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
take the loot.

I sure hope we get rescued in the post game text or something because unlike say Planetfall, we're not working at all toward finding a way home. (I get that its a game about exploring a pyramid and you have to be somehow constrained to the area the game is programmed for. Its just a nagging feeling. A gold sarcophagus is going to solve our survival problems.)
It does seem to be heading in a bad direction. We're resurrecting an ancient Egyptian queen; somehow I don't think the response is going to be "OK, cool, here's some priceless artifacts and a free teleport back to civilization".

This is starting to remind me of Suicide Squad, and that's never a good thing.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 11-19-2017, 03:43 PM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
take the loot.

I sure hope we get rescued in the post game text or something because unlike say Planetfall, we're not working at all toward finding a way home. (I get that its a game about exploring a pyramid and you have to be somehow constrained to the area the game is programmed for. Its just a nagging feeling. A gold sarcophagus is going to solve our survival problems.)
Let's just hope so, because the end is coming near. Anyway, I assume that by "take the loot," you mean to open the sarcophagus, so let's do that.

>open sarcophagus
You tug, push, pull, yank and generally tire yourself out trying to open the cover until you take a moment, wipe your brow, and look around. You notice that the cover is being held in place by the statues.


Well, we did get a suggestion to try pickaxing the statues to gravel, so let's give that a try.

>hit statue with pickaxe
Which statue do you mean, the Isis statue, the Selkis statue, the Neith statue, or the Nephthys statue?


Might as well do them in alphabetical order.

>isis
Trying to destroy the Isis statue isn't notably helpful.


Guess not. I will say that opening the sarcophagus has something to do with the statues, but can you figure out how to do it?
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 11-20-2017, 10:32 AM
Taeryn's Avatar
Taeryn Taeryn is offline
-ryn
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 2,689
Default

there was a clicking sound underneath them, so maybe push them.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 11-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
there was a clicking sound underneath them, so maybe push them.
Maybe, so let's give it a shot.

>push isis
Pushing the Isis statue isn't notably helpful.


Guess not. I will say both that the proper action and the order in which to do it have been hinted at earlier in the LP, albeit obtusely. Can you figure out them out from that?
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 12-03-2017, 07:32 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

It's been a week since the last post, so I will say that the correct verb to use with the statues is "turn". But can you guess the order? It is hinted at earlier in the LP, so check out the earlier posts and see if you can figure it out from that.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 12-14-2017, 06:19 PM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

As another hint, the goddesses guarding the sarcophagus have been mentioned elsewhere in the pyramid, with associated numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 12-15-2017, 01:12 PM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,954
Default

We already used these, is it these again:

Third turn to the southwest and place third offering to Ra.. In the emerald room, Isis.

Second turn to the northeast and place second offering to Ra. Ruby, Selkis.

First turn to the southeast and place first offering to Ra. Opal, Neith.

Fourth turn to the northwest and place fourth offering to Ra. Diamond, Nepthys.

Maybe go give them the clusters in that order?
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 12-21-2017, 05:37 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
We already used these, is it these again:

Third turn to the southwest and place third offering to Ra.. In the emerald room, Isis.

Second turn to the northeast and place second offering to Ra. Ruby, Selkis.

First turn to the southeast and place first offering to Ra. Opal, Neith.

Fourth turn to the northwest and place fourth offering to Ra. Diamond, Nepthys.

Maybe go give them the clusters in that order?
Unfortunately, the clusters are in the Annex, which is no longer accessible due to the door collapsing. However, the order is right, so let's go with it.

>turn neith
The Neith statue moves slowly, pivoting about its base, releasing its hold on the quartz cover.

>turn selkis
The Selkis statue moves slowly, pivoting about its base, releasing its hold on the quartz cover.

>turn isis
The Isis statue moves slowly, pivoting about its base, releasing its hold on the quartz cover.

>turn nephthys
The Nephthys statue moves slowly, pivoting about its base, releasing its hold on the quartz cover.
The statues freeze in their current positions and you hear a light click come from the cover of the sarcophagus.


And that can only mean one thing...we can now...

>open sarcophagus
You lift the cover with great care, and in an instant you see all your dreams come true. The interior of the sarcophagus is lined with gold, inset with jewels, glistening in your torchlight. The riches and their dazzling beauty overwhelm you. You take a deep breath, amazed that all of this is yours. You tremble with excitement, then realize the ground beneath your feet is trembling, too.

As a knife cuts through butter, this realization cuts through your mind, makes your hands shake and cold sweat appear on your forehead. The Burial Chamber is collapsing, the walls closing in. You will never get out of this pyramid alive. You earned this treasure. But it cost you your life.

And as you sit there, gazing into the glistening wealth of the inner sarcophagus, you can't help but feel a little empty, a little foolish. If someone were on the other side of the quickly-collapsing wall, they could have dug you out. If only you'd treated the workers better. If only you'd cut Craige in on the find. If only you'd hired a reliable guide.

Well, someday, someone will discover your bones here. And then you will get your fame.

Your score is 400 out of a possible 400, in 497 moves.
This score gives you the rank of a master adventurer.


Well...that's certainly an ending. And yes, this is the only ending, if you're wondering. It's probably karma, considering that the protagonist was allegedly an asshole (although I, personally, didn't see him as anything worse than a Jerkass Woobie), but still...what a way to go.

However, there is an interesting little tidbit that I alluded to long ago. You see, I didn't get those last few points for opening the sarcophagus, but for turning the statue of Nephthys. So, it's possible to exit the pyramid with the maximum score, and if you had the foresight to remove the jeweled clusters from the slab after getting the book, you would even get some loot out of it. Sure, the game wouldn't end, but the note does mention that the workers left you enough to get back to civilization, and I'd say having made it all the way to the sarcophagus and informing people of your discovery counts as victory.

Anyway, that's it for the main story, but join me next time for Infocom's official list of fun things to try.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 12-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Pronouns: he
Posts: 15,474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran042 View Post
Well...that's certainly an ending.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 12-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Gerad's Avatar
Gerad Gerad is offline
Holy Swine
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,954
Default

I was expecting the mummy queen to come to life and kill us, but I guess this works too!
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 12-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

Today, we'll be looking at Infocom's list of amusing things to try.

Quote:
reading the matchbook?
>read matchbook
Printed on the outside is a small coupon for an instruction manual, "GROW MUSHROOMS IN YOUR BASEMENT FOR FUN & PROFIT". Close Before Striking.


Quote:
reading the inside of the matchbook?
>read inside of matchbook
The inside says: Send away now!! Mushrooms can be taught a foreign language, and make fine pets! Easy to feed and they can be walked on a leash! Read and fill out the enclosed coupon now!


Quote:
reading the coupon?
>read coupon
The coupon for the manual is as clear as any coupon ever was:

Fill in Last Name first, unless First Name is Last. Check the box beside the dotted line unless you want the manual shipped via alternate shipping. Include your address unless your mailing address and shipping address differ from your postal delivery route. If you are having the manual air-freighted, fill in your airport's zip code unless you're within thirty miles of a large corn field. After checking whether that box has been checked, check it.
Before you mail this, be certain you've read the instructions and have filled out all three sides of the form. In case of doubt, contact the Coupon Customer Service Department, 122 East Accardi Street, Youknow, Alaska. If you live west of the Atlantic or the Pacific, this offer is null and void except where prohibited by law.


Quote:
filling out the coupon?
>fill out coupon
Okay. Find me a pen or a pencil and I'll do the best I can.


Quote:
sending the coupon?
>send coupon
Sure. As soon as a postman walks by, I'd be glad to give the coupon to him.


Quote:
swimming?
wandering endlessly through the desert?
>e
Desert
You are in the desert, a vast wasteland of sand and heat. Far off in the distance, dancing on the horizon, you see a shimmering oasis. Standing by the oasis are a team of Egyptian workers, waving for you to approach.

>e
Desert
You are in the desert, a vast wasteland of sand and heat. You wipe your sweating brow, gazing off into the distance, and notice a cool, crystal-clear lake glimmering on the horizon, just to the north.


Obviously, the oasis and lake are mirages, and the game doesn't even know the words "oasis" or "lake". Other possible hallucinations include:

  • A caravan of camels, led by a nomadic tribe, wanders a few miles off.
  • A small lizard pokes its head up from the sands and asks the shortest route to Times Square. You scratch your head for a moment and when you remember the proper subway line to recommend to it, you notice it's disappeared.
  • A strong gust of wind kicks up a herd of buffalo on the horizon. You think it strange that the buffalo are riding sidesaddle.
  • Five maids amilking sit on sandy stools before you, grinning maniacally.
  • You hear a whirring overhead and look up in time to see a gyrocopter settling to the sand on the horizon.
  • A large rainbow trout walks by, holding a pet snail on a leash.
  • You think you see a spaceship settling on the horizon and, as you strain your eyes through the wafting waves of heat, you see a man and a huge robot. You can almost hear them saying "Gort, Klaatu Barada Nikto."
  • A cool pool of water seems to dance in the heat waves just a mile away. You can almost hear Rankin and Craige arguing over the spoils.


On the tenth identical desert screen, the following message appears:

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that wandering about like this is dangerous to your health.

Ten turns after that, you get the following message:

You start dropping things to lighten your load. Before you know it, you're empty-handed. A gust of wind comes up off the dune before you, covering over what you've dropped. So much for that.


This does, indeed, empty out your inventory. Twenty-one turns later...

>n
Desert
You are in the desert, a vast wasteland of sand and heat. You hear a whirring overhead and look up in time to see a gyrocopter settling to the sand on the horizon.
Like a grape, left out in the sun too long, you turn into a raisin for lack of water.


Quote:
folding the cot?
>fold cot
Folded.

You hear a plane flying high overhead, outside the tent.


Quote:
sleeping on the cot outside your tent?
>get cot
Taken.

You hear a plane flying high overhead, outside the tent.

>s
Outside Your Tent
You are on an east/west path on the north side of the encampment. To the south you can see a firepit and to the north is the entrance to your tent. Everything is oddly quiet, unsettling, creating a feeling of floating anxiety. The stillness seems to enhance the eerie quality of the desert, the feeling of being truly alone. There's a small hole in the sand, a remnant of your excavation attempts.

The plane seems to be circling right overhead.

>drop cot
Dropped.

The plane seems to be circling right overhead.

>unfold cot
Unfolded.

You look up to see a small speck appear right beneath the plane -- probably a parachute. The plane heads off far to the northwest, dipping its wings in a salute.

>lie on cot
You get into the cot and try to get comfy. You close your eyes, but your mind is too active to let you sleep.

You can barely hear the plane.


Quote:
waving at the plane?
walking the plank?
I tried this, but all it said was "You should supply a direction!", and typing "walk plank s" just exited the barge normally. Maybe this did something in another version?


Quote:
dropping objects into the bottomless pit?
>drop canteen
You hear the canteen hit the bottom of the deep pit.


Quote:
trying to do any of the following to yourself: EAT, DRINK, KILL, FIND, TAKE, EXAMINE, RUB, PLAY, GET ON, CLEAN, CLOSE, LEAVE, DROP, FOLLOW, SEARCH, SMELL, MAKE, SEARCH, WEAR?
Yes, "SEARCH" is listed twice for some reason.

>eat me
I've heard of biting one's knuckles, chewing one's fingernails, but don't you think that's a little extreme?

>drink me
Find me a blender, jump in it, and once you're liquified, we'll talk.

>kill me with pick
Hey, I know just how you feel. And I'm sure you think you deserve it -- I've been there myself. But take heart -- let nature take care of you. I'm sure it will, in time.


If you're wondering, I had to specify "with pick" because just typing "kill me" asks me what I want to kill the me with.

>find me
Take a course in Zen.

>take me
Auto-eroticism is not the answer.

>examine me
Hmmm. How do you propose I accomplish that? (And they told me in AI school the intelligent creatures were on the other side of the keyboard!)

>rub me
Go rub yourself. You're starting to rub me the wrong way.

>play me
Who do you think you're playing around with?

>get on me
I'll get on your case is what I'll do, turkey.

>clean me
Take a bath. Leave me out of this.

>close me
Better yet, close your mouth.

>leave me
Like a hot potato.


DROP has the same response as LEAVE, where it makes much more sense.

>follow me
What makes you think you know where you're going?

>search me
Okay. I found one empty head but a strong heart.

>smell me
Phew! When was the last time you bathed?

>make me
I doubt anyone could make you do anything with that attitude.

>wear me
How many layers of skin does one human need?


Quote:
drinking repeatedly from the Nile?
The first four times:

>drink
(quantity of water)
You kneel down and drink deeply from the Nile and feel refreshed.


The fifth and subsequent times:

>drink
(quantity of water)
You're going to start sloshing around soon.


Quote:
sitting on the crate?
>sit on crate
You easily weigh enough to make the crate's life-cycle far shorter than it would have liked. Needless to say, after having been crushed flat by your heartless attempt, it decides to move on, find what the next life-cycle has in store for it, and vanishes into the mystical unknown.


Quote:
attacking the crate with the pick axe?
>hit crate with pick
Wood chips fly from the crate, hurtling into the sand all around, as the crate suffers your frenzied attack. The defenseless packing crate looks as if to flee but before it can react (growing legs is a time-consuming task) there is nothing left of it but a mere memory. (You really should seek some psychological counselling.)


As you may recall, the crate contained the important navigational box. If you try to operate it after opening the crate like this...

>press button
Crinkle fweep!


Obviously, it can't be used to find the pyramid if this happens. Fortunately, the directions are right there in the InvisiClues, so this is a minor setback.

Quote:
praying?
>pray
If you pray enough, your prayers may be answered.


Quote:
filling the canteen with sand, emptying it, filling it with water, and taking a drink?
>fill canteen with sand
Okay. The canteen has been filled with sand.

>n
Fire Pit
Half covered with sand is a bright piece of foil which catches your eye.
Sitting by a rock is what looks like a matchbook.

>n
Outside Your Tent

>w
Near the Nile

>w
River Bank

>empty canteen
You empty the canteen of most of the sand.

>fill canteen with water
Okay, you have filled the canteen.

>drink water
You feel much refreshed. Some sand from the bottom of the canteen is gritty in your mouth, though.


And that's it for the official list of things to try. If anyone has anything they'd like to see that I didn't do here or in the LP proper, let me know!
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 12-22-2017, 10:46 AM
Mogri's Avatar
Mogri Mogri is offline
Yes, let's feast!
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Pronouns: he
Posts: 15,474
Default

Is there any amount of praying that changes the message you get?
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 12-23-2017, 12:23 AM
Kahran042 Kahran042 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southeastern New Hampshire
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Is there any amount of praying that changes the message you get?
Yes, there is. The first two prayers give the message above, and the third and subsequent ones respond with "No one is listening..."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
infidel , interactive fiction , let's play

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007