The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-03-2017, 05:27 AM
Video World S3 is begun!

Default Threadsident Readvil: Conversations (A thread for general discussion of Resi)

Resident Evil 7 just came out, and it's Doom II: Hell on Earth now and while some people are very upset a majority are thrilled to (bloody) bits with Resident Evil's new "seeing the same things as a man" approach.

I didn't get into Resi until 4, so I'm one of those horrendous people on the internet who prefers the shooty ones - Revelations 2 is actually my favourite in the series. I have fond memories of playing the original with a friend, and I find the original fixed-camera games to be very enjoyable as those sort of team games, but I struggle with them myself. The quality is obvious, and I do enjoy playing them, but there's always a point that I can't get past. That's why I like Resi 2 with its infinite ammo cheat.

So, let us have this broad Resident Evil thread to discuss the series past, present and future, and everyone call me a dickhead for thinking Resi 6 is amazing.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:45 AM
Outraged!

You dickhead.

I bought a PlayStation based almost entirely on screenshots of the first resident evil. Loved it to pieces but was so bad at it that I didn't beat it for years.

Didn't play any again until 4, which was wonderful, but I've gone back to play the remake and 2. It's all good, they are good games.

4 is my wife's favorite game, she got really into the shooty ones and probably likes 6 as much as you do. Not sure how she'll feel about 7, whenever she has time to play the thing. She likes horror a lot and has played her share of FPSs, I think it will go over well.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:07 AM

I was 9 years old when Resident Evil came out and got a playstation for my birthday that year instead of a Saturn. My brother told me about this game Resident Evil that's "like a scary movie" about fighting zombies where dogs jump through windows. In my mind, I visualized something like ghouls and ghosts, or an isometric PC kind of game at worst. I couldn't even comprehend something like static cameras crafting a game world with a cinematographer's touch was something you could do in video games.

We borrowed it from a friend, the old longbox copy of the game with the artwork of the deteriorating mansion inside. I was hooked, but I was scared. At first, I didn't think much of it, I had a sega CD so I wasn't particularly wowed with the live action introduction, but once the game started it felt like this different thing. The intro was kinetic, filled with the same stock monster noises that you'd hear in Doom. But the game proper was something else entirely. It was methodical and slow, you walk through a large dining room questioning a puddle of blood before the proper enemy introduces himself.

I've seen Return of the Living Dead (the punk rock one cause the black and white movie bored me to tears), and Nightmare on Elm Street; but this white, bald zombie with pasty skin introduced through a cutscene that ended with these blaring horns and that made low, sad sounding groaning noises as he trudged toward you was almost too much for me. A game like Splatterhouse that I seen in the arcade, I could vanquish this foe with a single button press, but Resident Evil played by different rules, rules that made you vulnerable. My brother and I would play through parts of it, I normally gave up out of fear of the unknown by the time I got to the upstairs U shaped hallway with the scary music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duco...EF25BB4B90BBD1).

We'd guess what was the cause of the outbreak all the time, with my brother wisely deducing that there's definitely something up with Barry because after all he did totally say he was going to stay in the dining room even though he shows up to help you...! He even got to the plant monster once before dying (we had no memory card back then, so if we died it was back to the beginning).

It would be a few years until I was braver (brave enough to tackle RE2 solo, even) before I'd go back to RE1 and beat it, only to find that the sequel far outshines it outside of the first act with the mansion and all the terrors inside...

Did you know that when the game was being made, Shinji Mikami didn't want to have a plot at all? You'd end up fighting cyborgs and other weird mismashed things with no central mystery, it was just an evil haunted house. Ironic that the course correction from this didn't stop the RE series from stooping to the dumb places it still had with some of its enemies.

What a game~

------

I really like RE7's first person perspective, I think the game still feels like a quintessential RE title despite all is changes. Its probably one of the best games I've played this gen so far.

I'll get to RE6 as I go through the rest of the series, but for now: no comment
Old 02-03-2017, 06:10 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

Calling it "Resi" is worse than liking 6.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:31 AM
Banned

Madhair is in charge of thread titles now.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:03 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

That first dog jumping through that first window in the original RE is one of my defining gaming memories. I'll never forget it. My cousin and I rented it, and we just about shat ourselves. It hasn't aged super well, but fortunately, the REMake has, and is my favourite RE game. I won't get around to playing RE7 until a Steam sale, but I'm really looking forward to it. I'm considering giving RE4 my first re-play in the meantime to tide me over, since there was an episode of Watch Out for Fireballs dedicated to it recently that left me hankering to play it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Calling it "Resi" is worse than liking 6.
That's what all the Brits call it.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:04 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Resident Evil defined my taste in video games.

That's a weird thing to say since I've been playing games since I was like three years old, nearly a decade before the first Resident Evil came out, but back then I absolutely sucked at most of them. Like most people I had a bunch of hard NES games that were all I had access to, but unlike most people who stuck it out and learned Mega Man 2, I'd give up after 3 minutes of frustration trying to get past Quick Man lasers.

The games that held my attention (other than the rare exceptions of action games I could beat such as Rockin' Kats or Mega Man 5) were all graphic adventures, and I ate those up. It started with the NES port of Deja Vu, which I pored over every screenshot until I got my own copy and played it a bunch of times, even once getting to the end. I didn't own a lot personally, but I played every demo that I could from Secret of Monkey Island to a bunch of text adventures that were included in those CDs of thousands of free/shareware titles you could get for five bucks at Wal-Mart.

Eventually when I was entering my teenage years (and had become an avid - almost exclusive - RPG player), a friend of mine went to visit family in another state and during that time, he let me borrow his PlayStation with the first Resident Evil, which had been out for a couple years at that point but before the release of 2. I was immediately enthralled by the slower pace, all of the flavor text for nearly every object around the mansion, the thrill of discovery every time I got a new key, the different types of monsters... it was like an adventure game where I got to shoot things. It scratched every itch I look for in video games under one umbrella (heh). RE1 has a reputation now of being a hard game, but I don't think I ever noticed that as a kid. I blew through it in a weekend, much to the shock of my friend when he came back. It was the game that convinced me, a hardcore Nintendo fanboy at the time, I needed a PlayStation.

I eventually got the system using Christmas money, but my first game was XenoGears. RE2 came soon after that, and I was a huge fan of the series from that point, to an almost embarrassing degree I won't get into here. What I can say is that I approached games from a different viewpoint then on; I always liked games if that wasn't clear in the brief history I gave, but this was the first time I started paying attention the kinds of experiences they gave and looked out for anything that gave me a similar thrill to RE - I still played RPGs of course, but soon after I'd discover Metal Gear Solid, go back and really understand the Zelda series, 200.1% Castlevania: SoTN*... the action-adventure genre became my go-to, and a new appreciation for game design had been born.

* It's worth noting that yeah I had played Super Metroid at some point before all of this, but I was also ten and didn't get it. Had I'd been a little older, say around the age I discovered Resident Evil, that probably would have been the game that solidified my tastes.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
I was a huge fan of the series from that point, to an almost embarrassing degree I won't get into here.
I'm just going to assume you were a mod on a Resident Evil wiki and edited all of the pages to make sure everyone knew that Resident Evil is actually about male circumcision.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:11 AM
one zero zero one SOS

The first time I heard of/saw RE was when I was staying over at my uncle's house as a kid and he had a tape of him running through the game that he made for display in his store (he owned a Microplay store at the time). Frankly I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I loved the quiet atmosphere and the creepy, cryptic paintings and puzzles of "the haunted house". I'll never forget it even though I didn't actually play the thing for years. Today I am a huge fan of the classic-style games, especially 1 and 2 (and especially REmake). I also quite enjoyed RE4 on Wii that I played years ago.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:11 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I'm just going to assume you were a mod on a Resident Evil wiki and edited all of the pages to make sure everyone knew that Resident Evil is actually about male circumcision.
That was not me, but thank you for reminding me that was a thing because it's hilarious.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:15 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
That's what all the Brits call it.
And they're all monsters.

Quote:
That was Silent Hill, unless it happened to both.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:21 AM
Phantastic Oil

Yes, yes it was. I was making a joke.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:24 AM

Should we establish that spoilers are allowed in this thread?
Old 02-03-2017, 07:25 AM
one zero zero one SOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
Not for 7!! It's still a new and (in my country) very expensive game.

The 7 thread is still relevant and active and I think people should be able to enjoy the discussion for this series without worrying about running into direct 7 spoilers.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:26 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyonion View Post
(he owned a Microplay store at the time)
Huh. I had no idea that this was a chain. We had one here in town years ago, although it's long since closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
Not for 7, I hope, since it just came out and has its own dedicated thread besides?

ETA: Ninja'd by boyonion, and agreed, esp. on the ridiculous Canadian price tag.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:31 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

All new games are 80$ here. Re7 is first new, not on sale one I bought since fallout 4.

Also: i love re6!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:49 AM

I read the thread title as Theatrhythm Resident Evil.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:52 AM
Video World S3 is begun!

I'd play it if it had that one song from the Director's Cut. You know the song I mean.

I would like a list of differences between the original and director's cut. Not a link. A list.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:00 AM

I'm not sure Theatrhythm Resident Evil would work, but I would like to see chibi versions of zombies and shotgun-wielding RE protagonists.

Wait guys...Hatsune Miku Resident Evil.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:04 AM

The shitty music isn't director's cut: it's director's cut dual shock edition which was another re-release.

DC has a mode that mixes up item and enemy placement, I guess its kind of like master quest? Meant to give people that mastered the game a new challenge, and also a beginner mode that's even easier than easy. There's some different camera placements in some areas. There's also a handful of new zombies, one for Forest, the team sniper on the balcony and some hyper fast ones (the one that gets you in the kitchen IIRC).

The pistol can do head bursts on occasion too, which wasn't in the original game.

Think that's about it. The advertised uncensored lived action things didn't come to pass, its the same FMVs.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:17 AM
Mr. Jackpots

What the hell would anyone care about spoiling in an RE game?
Old 02-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

Funnily enough, I just started to replay Revelations The First.

The game that took "Resident Evil games have really dumb stories" to be a challenge instead of an assessment.

It still looks ridiculously good for an early 3DS game and suffers greatly in twin-stick mode.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Don't be that guy.

What I'm saying is that RE isn't high art but its still a fun sci-fi romp that usually has a fun twist or two within its story, especially RE7, so let's try to let people enjoy it organically for a bit. I"m dyin' to talk about RE7 too~
Old 02-03-2017, 08:30 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Re7 has a semi mysterious story with possible consequences!
Old 02-03-2017, 08:32 AM
Mr. Jackpots

I'm just saying there's been much more discussion about what spoilers are permitted in the thread than actual discussion of any plot details
Old 02-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
I'm just saying there's been much more discussion about what spoilers are permitted in the thread than actual discussion of any plot details
I agree, it's a very silly discussion to have, because why on earth would someone want to open a thread dedicated to discussion of the series as a whole with spoilers for the new hotness? Just go talk about it in the RE7 thread. Are spoiler tags really than onerous? The FFXV thread is still using them religiously after 60 pages and I haven't seen a single word of complaint.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:59 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes both (probably all, but have not played 7 yet) styles of RE games. My first was Code Veronica, and from there I bought up the PS1 versions of 1, 2, and 3, but I think I really didn't love classic RE until REmake on Gamecube. It just managed to make it actually scary, and polish up what was ambitious for the time, but cheesy as hell even on release.

6 did lose me, but I intend to give it another shot some day. I think the PC port is just sloppily handled, because you've got the intro that feels as nonsensical as the movies do, and then (in PC) you have 4 routes to choose from when apparently you should only really have Chris or Leon.

Revelations 2 is a blast, despite it having a lot of problems or weirdness. Such as:
Invisible enemies that can instantly kill you (these guys are the worst)
Probably the biggest departure from RE gameplay for a game using actual characters from the series
and yet despite that second point, it has a lot of the tension, item and ammo management worries of classic RE.

I recently went through REmaster twice, and honestly it's great, but I noticed something else while playing it: This is actually the game Telltale wants their TWD games to be. There's all this adventure puzzling and bits of story you can gleam at intervals, and then the action is mostly limited but still a lot more involved than "click this stuff/push this direction on time." I would kill for good HD remasters of 2, 3, Code Veronica, and while we're at it, Dino Crisis. CV and Dino Crisis should technically be a lot easier if they still have the assets, because they were done mostly/fully in 3d, I thought.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:29 AM
Video World S3 is begun!

Oh my god could you utter, utter, utter, utter, utter, utter bastards stop going on about the spoiler tags
Old 02-03-2017, 09:33 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes both (probably all, but have not played 7 yet) styles of RE games. My first was Code Veronica, and from there I bought up the PS1 versions of 1, 2, and 3, but I think I really didn't love classic RE until REmake on Gamecube. It just managed to make it actually scary, and polish up what was ambitious for the time, but cheesy as hell even on release.

6 did lose me, but I intend to give it another shot some day. I think the PC port is just sloppily handled, because you've got the intro that feels as nonsensical as the movies do, and then (in PC) you have 4 routes to choose from when apparently you should only really have Chris or Leon.

Revelations 2 is a blast, despite it having a lot of problems or weirdness. Such as:
Invisible enemies that can instantly kill you (these guys are the worst)
Probably the biggest departure from RE gameplay for a game using actual characters from the series
and yet despite that second point, it has a lot of the tension, item and ammo management worries of classic RE.

I recently went through REmaster twice, and honestly it's great, but I noticed something else while playing it: This is actually the game Telltale wants their TWD games to be. There's all this adventure puzzling and bits of story you can gleam at intervals, and then the action is mostly limited but still a lot more involved than "click this stuff/push this direction on time." I would kill for good HD remasters of 2, 3, Code Veronica, and while we're at it, Dino Crisis. CV and Dino Crisis should technically be a lot easier if they still have the assets, because they were done mostly/fully in 3d, I thought.
6 should be 3 paths at the beginning
Leon Helena
Chris Piers
Wesker Kid and Shelly

After you beat those yiu get Ada Hunk
Old 02-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Oh my god could you utter, utter, utter, utter, utter, utter bastards stop going on about the spoiler tags
Maybe

Tags
capcom , chris threadfield , global saturation , horror games , jill sandwich , resident evil , s.t.a.r.s. , survival horror , zeerooo