The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Fun Club Agent

Pronouns: He/him
Default NFC #23: Kid Icarus

So hey, a new Kid Icarus game is coming out. Maybe we should try playing the first one.

Kid Icarus
Nintendo R&D1 | NES/GBA/VC | Platformer | 1987

Well, I guess it doesn't make that much sense to play it again seeing as the new one isn't in the same genre. Oh well!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Thanatos feeding time

ICARUS FIGHTS
MEDUSA ANGELS
Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Wretched Fellow

Oh, hey. We're doing this one. Okay. I think I'm honor bound to contribute. Did you guys know there are a set number of patterns to the rooms with the mystery pots and the little God of Poverty? If you can determine which pattern the game is loaded, you can win every time. I'll dig up something that displays the patterns sometime soon. You can get all sorts of unique things from those rooms, like the Barrel and the Credit Card.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Watch and learn

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnake View Post
Well, I guess it doesn't make that much sense to play it again seeing as the new one isn't in the same genre. Oh well!
There wasn't that much chance of it happening, really. The fact is that a new Kid Icarus game was always going to be an entirely new franchise in effect. Unlike a series like Mario or Zelda, Kid Icarus hasn't grown and changed with the times -- it's been essentially fossilized since the early nineties. Even a series like Metroid that's gone to the well fewer times has still had enough iterations to work out the kinks in its formula; Kid Icarus is starting from scratch.

I realize this was just a throwaway line, but it's something that's always bothered me. People have been begging for a new Kid Icarus game for years, but they're not really looking for a sequel to the game -- they like the character and the setting, but that's usually as far as it goes... No matter what the new Kid Icarus game looked like, it would have felt jarring, because it didn't have any intermediate steps to take us from the NES to now.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Little Waves

Anything that plays like the final stage of this game would be just fine.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

I've never really played this, and have been looking for an excuse to play it for a long time. When I was a kid I was exposed to Kid Icarus for all of about five minutes when my friend showed me the curse words code.

So, I plan on posting some newbie impressions of the game. I hear it's kinda meh, so my expectations are sufficiently lowered.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Armor Guardian

Pronouns: He/Him

World one is made out of pure malice and hatred. I spent over an hour and a half last night on the first two levels alone.

The only reason I'm putting up with it is because, having beaten it before, I know it gets much better. Seriously. The sidescrolling levels become much easier/more fun when you don't die in four hits, and the fortress levels are genuinely great. I wonder if I still have the maps I drew of them on my last playthrough...
Old 07-28-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm kind of over memes.

A bottomless pit that keeps following you upward, dangerously thin platforms, and slippery traction to boot?

Ugh.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
ICARUS FIGHTS
MEDUSA ANGELS
FRUITY ANGELS
MOLEST SHARKY
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

Why, hello store that I will never be able to buy anything from, ever. Please let me close the door on my way out.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:22 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirae View Post
Why, hello store that I will never be able to buy anything from, ever. Please let me close the door on my way out.
This is the best description of Kid Icarus I have ever heard in my life.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Wretched Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
A bottomless pit that keeps following you upward, dangerously thin platforms, and slippery traction to boot?

Ugh.
Hint: If you press up, Pit will stop sliding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-55J View Post
World one is made out of pure malice and hatred. I spent over an hour and a half last night on the first two levels alone.

The only reason I'm putting up with it is because, having beaten it before, I know it gets much better. Seriously. The sidescrolling levels become much easier/more fun when you don't die in four hits, and the fortress levels are genuinely great. I wonder if I still have the maps I drew of them on my last playthrough...
Yeah, the hardest level in the game is 1-3 because Pit is still so weak at that point. After you get the first powerup item that lets you shoot arrows across the length of the screen and gain enough levels to use it, things get a lot more mellow.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT-55J View Post
World one is made out of pure malice and hatred.
To be fair, that IS the bottom of Hades. So your description is pretty accurate.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Armor Guardian

Played for another hour last night.

Still stuck in Level 1-3.

Urge to kill rising...
Old 07-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

It seems the key to getting out of hell, is just to keep moving. I was doing fine in 1-3, before I stopped to try and figure out why there was a random candle sitting on a platform. Then I realized there are just candles everywhere, because that's how they light up Hades. Obvious.

Keep moving, get to the next door.

If that next door happens to be filled with Flying Groucho Marx glasses, just quietly walk away, and KEEP MOVING.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Your life is forfeit

I've decided that, aside from the death platforms that kill you for ducking, I really like this game. It's deeply flawed but really quite creative.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanatos feeding time

The -4 levels hold up better than the rest of the game. Also, I've been whistling the melody for the last stage for about, oh twenty-three years now. It's my default shower tune!
Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 PM
Wretched Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I've decided that, aside from the death platforms that kill you for ducking, I really like this game. It's deeply flawed but really quite creative.
I'm glad to see you've come around on this issue. Viewed in the context of its era and contemporaries, Kid Icarus really is a very creative, nuanced, and lengthy experience. Rather than just a series of unconnected screens or challenges, you really feel like you've taken Pit on a little journey in the course of the game.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Yeah, so I played this a bit over lunch and I love just about everything about it outside of how it actually plays. The graphics, the world and the music are pretty boss but it plays like like Metroid on rollerskates.

Also, there's this: Tanguy Ukulele Orchestra's version of the stage 1 theme of Kid Icarus
Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Armor Guardian

The game got much better after stage 3 (no surprise here). The fortress stages are really well-designed (repetition aside). I really liked mapping them as I played them (rather than relying on the in-game map). Cartography is a skill I wish that more games would expect from the player (even if it's "bad design"). I might post the maps I made while playing a bit later.

The standard platforming stages also got better as the game went on, mostly on account of how powerful you get. The health upgrades, in conjunction with the barrel and the shield weapon (better than any Mega Man shield), basically remove the threat of death from health loss. The weapons and weapon upgrades also make it much easier to kill them, which also makes it so money is not a problem. Normally this would make a game feel too easy, but after the (literal) hell you go through it all feels rather cathartic.

Great (yet flawed) game.

(Pity you can't use the weapons in the fortresses.)

I might do a run through the second loop sometime soon to see if I can get the best ending.

Also, somebody needs to make a Zelda Classic style engine for this game and Metroid 1.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Media Sellout

Pronouns: He him

Even cheating with some codes and save states, I don't think I've ever really beaten this game. I need to take the password and play the last level sometime, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
I have to admit, I'm kinda bummed that it looks like they are making the new game a generic third-person shooter, because I like the idea of the original. Too bad Nintendo doesn't believe in making good, Rebirth-style games for DL. I'd by a "fixed" version of the original for $5-10.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 PM
Mothperson

I dunno if I'd really go as far as saying the new Kid Icarus will be a generic third person shooter, but its obviously a different beast than this.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Arcade DJ

I never played this game, but I did buy and beat the Game Boy version about three million years ago. All I really remember is that Hot Springs were your best friend and attempting to kill things with hammers was a really bad idea.

Actually, I'm not even sure if "Myths and Monsters" was a sequel, remake, or straight-up port. It seems incredibly similar to what I've seen of the NES game.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Wretched Fellow

It was a true sequel. It was very similar but there were a number of differences, like the fact that the levels looped on the horizontal plane rather than letting you go off one side of the screen and reappear on the opposite side. I believe you could also tap A to make Pit flap his wings and slow jumps in the sequel. Also, Medusa's dead in Myths and Monsters and the bad guy's this demon named Orcos.

Over all, it's a little more polished but I don't think it's as good a game, partially due to the Gameboy's limitations. Kind of like Metroid II in that respect.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Armor Guardian

Shocking discovery: World 1 is <strike>much more</strike> actually fun on the second loop. Whodathunkit?

On a tangentially related not, here are the maps I made of the fortresses while playing through the game today:
Fortresses 1 and 2
Fortress 3

BONUS: Some old maps I made when playing some Metroid 1 hacks:
Metroid Genocide - Fairly competent hack. My map is complete until Tourian, which didn't need mapping anyway.
Metroid M - Unfinished, on account of the fact that I quit when I realized how much the hack irredeemably sucks. Hopefully the eerily similarly titled upcoming game will be better.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:40 AM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

To the man dressed up like Jesus, who tried to "train" me by raining a billion spinning tiles down on my face when I had no health, you are an asshole.

To the little fireball-spitting red guy that randomly pops up out of the ground, thank you for only popping up directly beside me when I have found a perfectly viable strategy for defeating a Grim Reaper, by WAITING to attack it from safety.

So. 1-3 is beaten, but I'm still a weakling. Now to go get lost in a fortress...
Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
Over all, it's a little more polished but I don't think it's as good a game, partially due to the Gameboy's limitations. Kind of like Metroid II in that respect.
Yeah, it doesn't feel as good as the first game for some reason. It kind of makes me wish that they made a Super Kid Icarus that would be just as improved over the first two games as Super Metroid was for its own series. It probably would've been fantastic...
Old 07-30-2010, 07:25 AM
whatever it takes

THE LAST EGGPLANT... IS IN CAPTIVITY.

THE UNDERWORLD... IS AT PEACE._
Old 07-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

Every time the lack of a Super Kid Icarus is mentioned, a nerd somewhere loses its wings.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Arcade DJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexb View Post
Wow, I actually forgot a lot of those little details till you mentioned them, including the fact that while the last stages for both games are so similar, the end bosses are completely different.

Your Metroid simile is apt for me, since I played Metroid II before ever playing the original as well. That probably accounts for the fact that I played both through to completion several times and enjoyed them, since I had nothing to compare them to.
Closed Thread