The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games > The Gamespite Fun Club

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Fun Club Agent

Pronouns: He/him
Default NFC #27: Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble

I didn't think you all were going to want to do this, but you have forced my hand.

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble
Rare | SNES/GBA/VC | Platformer | 1996

There, you demanded it, and here it is. Just keep an eye out for those Banana Birds!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:04 AM
Perpetually ruffled.

Oh wow, this happened sooner than I thought it would!

I think I can pull off another 100% run of this, but this time I'll try the finish up my playthrough of the GBA port so I can give that new world "Pacifica" a try as well as the extra boss.

The main thing about the port that I found myself unhappy with was that the soundtrack had been completely replaced. The new music isn't necessarily bad, but when you grow up having a game that you've played to death sound a certain way, it can be really jarring to have that aspect altered so drastically. I understand that it was necessary to create music that would work better on the GBA hardware, but my nostalgia relies heavily on the old soundtrack. So in my eyes (or ears), the port is a much different experience even though the original gameplay remains intact. I guess we'll see if this is a bad thing once I start it back up!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Going On An Odyssey

Yeah, the port is a really jarring experience, but it's either that or have the tunes you know and love slaughtered by the GBA. There are some good ones (Rockface Rumble, Nuts & Bolts, though I still prefer both of their predecessors), but some are just amazingly out of place (the cheerful new tree song is really bizarre in Ripsaw Rage, and using the Brother Bear tune when meeting the Banana Bird Queen kinda robs the scene of any atmosphere. Also, I love Aquatic Ambiance as much as the next guy, but DKC3 had a perfectly suitable and really ominous underwater song. If it's gonna get replaced, replace it with something original).

Fischer did a great job with the original soundtrack, and like the game itself, it tends to be dismissed without being given a chance (at least that's the impression I get from the Internet at large).

Also, the GBA's mini-games with Funky and Swanky are awful, and the snowman boss fight now comes out of nowhere. The new boss is also, as mentioned, really forgettable. But the new Pacifica stages are pretty cool. The underwater tree level is one of my favorites in the entire game.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 AM
I have a Plan

One thing I like is that you can choose between which worlds you tackle third and fourth. They're roughly equal in difficulty, from what I recall, but it's up to you as to whether you can stomach more of water stages or hazard stages.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Watch and learn

I don't care what anyone says; I like the SNES music, Dave Wise or no.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Perpetually ruffled.

I ended up starting a new game in the GBA version with the intention of simply breezing through the game without collecting any of the coins. Then I accidentally threw myself into a bonus barrel out of habit and the completionist in me took over. So far I've played up to Bobbing Barrel Brawl, which is the last level before the boss in the second world.

Random thoughts:

The music in Lakeside Limbo and Tidal Trouble is good, but it's a little strange how it only begins about fifteen seconds into the level without any sort of recognizable build up. Starting the level off with nothing but the sound of flowing water is a cool idea, but the sudden start of the music bothers me a little.

Skidda's Row's music had me laughing at the beginning because of the sheer goofiness of it, and I liked how it changed mid-level once the snowstorm began. It goes from "Wintertime Fun!" to "Ominous Blizzard."

Murky Mill is still frustrating! Going back and forth to grab more barrels is not fun at all. > It's a bit of a downer after the first four levels which are fun, somewhat gimmick-free romps.

I'm skipping the mini-games since they tend to ruin the pace of the game for me and make me just want to stop playing altogether. Do they contain any DK or Bonus coins that I will need to collect? If so, I'll just leave them until I'm done with all of the levels and I absolutely need the items they contain.

I think Belcha went down easier here than in the Super Nintendo version since it only took two belches to get him to fall into the pit. Then again, I might have just zoned out during one of the belches and I miscounted.

The tropical music in Springin' Spiders and Barrel Shield Bust-up seems way out of place and doesn't match the environment at all, although that might be because I expected more of a "forestry" themed track due to the Super Nintendo version.

Overall, I'm enjoying myself! I've found that I have much more fun when I can simply zoom through the level without anything slowing my pace, which is why I wanted to avoid the bonus barrels at first. Deciding to go ahead and do them anyway wasn't a bad idea after all, and I can still keep up a fast pace through the levels, especially if the bonus levels can be completed with a quick dash from start to finish. I like how in Barrel Shield Bust-up the "throwing monkeys" seem to be designed so that if you're rushing through the level, you can keep climbing and beat some of their thrown rocks/acorns without stopping. Other times I can still get away with just one stop for shielding, which isn't too bad

One more discontent: Brash's anger moment didn't happen. I simply talked to him and an unexplained plank of wood appeared in the river.

Last edited by Ostrich; 08-21-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Watch and learn

The GBA ports of all three games have really obnoxious sound effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrich View Post
I'm skipping the mini-games since they tend to ruin the pace of the game for me and make me just want to stop playing altogether. Do they contain any DK or Bonus coins that I will need to collect? If so, I'll just leave them until I'm done with all of the levels and I absolutely need the items they contain.
You need Bonus Coins to unlock the Lost World.

Quote:
I think Belcha went down easier here than in the Super Nintendo version since it only took two belches to get him to fall into the pit. Then again, I might have just zoned out during one of the belches and I miscounted.
Belcha only takes two belches in the SNES version as long as you don't dick around too much.

Quote:
The tropical music in Springin' Spiders and Barrel Shield Bust-up seems way out of place and doesn't match the environment at all, although that might be because I expected more of a "forestry" themed track due to the Super Nintendo version.
The original SNES version of "Treetop Tumble" is probably my favorite track on either soundtrack. Maybe "Hot Pursuit".

Quote:
Overall, I'm enjoying myself! I've found that I have much more fun when I can simply zoom through the level without anything slowing my pace, which is why I wanted to avoid the bonus barrels at first.
I can't actually stop myself from finding all the bonus areas in this game. I've got pretty much every pixel of the game committed to memory; even moreso probably than the first two.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Perpetually ruffled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
THIS, so hard. The sound effects are one of the many reasons I will never recommend the ports above the original games.

When I first played the port of DKC, my first impression was that Rare wanted the series to sound more "goofy" and be more in line with DK64 and Banjo-Kazooie. I never thought of the DKC games as goofy though, and the added sound effects kind of clash with my original perception of them.

Quote:
You need Bonus Coins to unlock the Lost World
So the mini-games do have Bonus Coins? Oh well, I guess I'll just save them until the absolute last minute. I can still get into the first few levels of the Lost World since they are unlockable one at a time as long as I have enough coins, but I suppose there's no real point to that. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and play them as I go, after all.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Watch and learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrich View Post
So the mini-games do have Bonus Coins? Oh well, I guess I'll just save them until the absolute last minute. I can still get into the first few levels of the Lost World since they are unlockable one at a time as long as I have enough coins, but I suppose there's no real point to that. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and play them as I go, after all.
Oh, the minigames? I have no idea. For some reason I thought you were talking about the bonus areas.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:01 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Any gameplay issues aside, butchered sound design was the real plague of SNES-to-GBA ports. I realize that's because the GBA's hardware simply couldn't do it, but it doesn't make it any less terrible. Yoshi's Island made me want to cry.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

Somebody in the other thread mentioned the difference in DKC 1 and 2's path system for world maps, and 3's more open approach. 3 does have one clear advantage in that it lets you leave a sub-world at any time to find a save point. In 1 and 2, you had to beat enough levels to find either that sub-world's save point or flight barrel. It's frankly unreasonable.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
Any gameplay issues aside, butchered sound design was the real plague of SNES-to-GBA ports. I realize that's because the GBA's hardware simply couldn't do it, but it doesn't make it any less terrible. Yoshi's Island made me want to cry.
The GBA port is the only versions I ever played. My understanding is that other than "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" it was a fairly competent port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Marati View Post
Somebody in the other thread mentioned the difference in DKC 1 and 2's path system for world maps, and 3's more open approach. 3 does have one clear advantage in that it lets you leave a sub-world at any time to find a save point. In 1 and 2, you had to beat enough levels to find either that sub-world's save point or flight barrel. It's frankly unreasonable.
Gorilla Glacier in 1 is infamous for this has you have to go through two snow levels, two caves, and s underwater level -- all fairly devious -- before getting to Candy. At least you don't have to pay to save as well.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The GBA port is the only versions I ever played. My understanding is that other than "Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy" it was a fairly competent port.
My two biggest gripes are the tweaked sound samples, like giving Yoshi the more "voicey" sounds instead of the zippy ricochet noises, and how the graphics lag so badly during the credits that the music winds up overtaking them and throwing everything out of sync.

Wait, three. The extra set of bonus levels they added weren't really fun at all.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:14 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Marati View Post
Wait, three. The extra set of bonus levels they added weren't really fun at all.
I liked them, but they definitely felt extremely romhacky.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Scrub That Shit Down

I played the first few levels of this a kouple weeks ago and didn't feel any kompulsion to kontinue. With the Fun Club in motion I tried again for all of two minutes before switching to Galaxy 2. Kan't put my finger on exactly what about it rubs me the wrong way; the atmosphere is kool and the music seems pretty good, but for whatever reason it feels like a chore. I'll blame the level design which, while varied stage-to-stage, quickly becomes repetitive within each. I'll give it one more khance.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Oh I dunno really. I only played a few levels of it. It played just fine, but the loss of audio quality killed it for me. Sound design can be a huge deal(-breaker) for me.

edit:

Quote:
kouple
Quote:
kompulsion
Quote:
kontinue
Quote:
Kan't
Quote:
kool

Quote:
khance
Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

Kurse all SeeDs! Swarming like lokusts akross generations!

... you diskust me.

Started playing this a couple nights ago. I beat this maybe once right when it came out as opposed to DKC 2, which I've replayed every couple years, so a lot of it feels like a new experience to me.

I love the atmosphere so far. The different areas feel varied, but they also feel cohesive as a whole- the rustic cabins and rugged mountains feel much tighter together than the pirate ship to volcano to brambles vibe DKC 2 had, and even the areas that could have easily been generic, like the forests, have a lot of clever details that make the unique (the random hacksaws and kegs in the background, for example).

With all of that said, Kiddy Kong is a fucking atrocity of character design, even for Rare.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:19 PM
SPACE DEPUTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopinks View Post
I liked them, but they definitely felt extremely romhacky.
You guys would HATE World-e in Super Mario Bros 3 then. Not only are the levels extremely hacky (why hello two boom-booms in each fortress level) but they're designed for the most part around collecting special coins which means the levels are boring for the most part if you decide to just run through. They never become downright sadistic like some of the bonus Yoshi levels (why hello castle maze thats littered with spikes) but they're not a lot of fun just the same.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:32 PM

I love World-e just because it's so dang weird. just a big old mess of IDEAS, all smashed up against each other in obscene ways.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

I hate Lighting Lookout. It's the only stage that I die repeatedly at. Though the only time I tried a 105% run I did it in one shot. That run I rarely died now that I think about it. I did replay levels to get the bonus coins I misses though. Considering that run is still my fastest I'm amazed I never lost a kong at the Feeding Fish Frenzy stage. I always lose one there. You need both to get to the Koin.

The game is the easiest of the three.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 PM
SPACE DEPUTY

I love the ideas in theory but not in execution. Its fun playing around with powers from other Mario games in the Mario 3 world but the levels they designed around using them in just aren't fun.

Edit: As for the Donkey Kongs, I'm playing all three in tandem now. I can't really say if I like any one over the others but I love Donkey Kong's happy moron dance at the end of each level in the first game to death.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Watch and learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by figcube View Post
I hate Lighting Lookout. It's the only stage that I die repeatedly at.
I've never understood why people have so much trouble with Lightning Look-Out. The level tells all the lightning strikes and gives you ample time to get out of the way. You'll probably lose a few lives figuring out the mechanics of the lightning strikes (including learning that being in the water when lightning touches down is instant death), but after that, you need never die there again.

Quote:
The game is the easiest of the three.
By a mile, and, as I said in the other thread, the responsibility for that lays largely on the shoulders of the gimmicks. When you're introducing a new mechanic every stage there's not enough space to really test the abilities the player has already developed.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Perpetually ruffled.

Lightning Lookout gave me all kinds of trouble when I was younger. Back then, my mind didn't recognize that there was a clue as to when and where the lightning would strike. Either that or I simply refused to pay attention to it because of my fear of lightning and decided it would best for my sanity to make a mad dash for the end of the level. I think finally clearing the level actually helped me completely conquer my fear of lightning, which could mean this game was what had gave it to me in the first place.

Also, AAAARRRGGHable I forgot to save my game now I have to start overrrr fffffffffff-

Kids, always remember to press start and save your game when you are playing DKC3 on the GBA! Save caves simply don't exist!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:01 AM
:3

Pronouns: he/him

DKC3 is notable for me because it's the only one of the series that, in my childhood, I managed to complete all by myself. I mostly just watched my brother beat the first two. DKC I've since beaten on my own, but I still haven't bested 2. Working on that...

Started up a playthrough of this the other day, and beat the record on Riverside Race last night. Fuck you, bear, give me my banana bird!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Watch and learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhroo View Post
Started up a playthrough of this the other day, and beat the record on Riverside Race last night. Fuck you, bear, give me my banana bird!
One of the more embarrassing weekends of my youth was spent trying to do Riverside Race in as little time as possible. I seem to remember getting it under fifty seconds at one point, but damned if I can recreate it.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Perpetually ruffled.

Oh my gosh, more GBA port madness! The off screen enemy in Krak-Shot Kroc, the all Squitter factory level, now lets out a maniacally evil laugh every time he fires!

I don't know whether to be amused or terrified.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopinks View Post
(I liked the DK coin guy.)
You're wrong.

Quote:
The GBA port is the only version [of Yoshi's Island] I ever played.
You're breaking my heart.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Mothperson

As someone who never played the original, I had and saw no problems (Yoshi's Island).

Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by Belmont; 08-22-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
You're wrong.
On the plus side, this meant they hid all the DK Coins on land. Fuck you, galleon levels with your trick walls.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
You're wrong.
you smell!
Closed Thread