The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 05-23-2015, 02:28 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Default Popularity Contest #1: Top 50 Wizards (and other magic users)

Hey all.

OK, I've been preparing for this on the general topic thread and it was suggested that I post this here (though this is more of an activity than a game, so I hope that's OK), which seems about right to me. I was tempted to call it

But that's too much of a mouthful. Anyway, the goal of this is to have a bunch of us vote (at least 10 is best) on a single topic and then compile the results to make a top 50 list of that thing. And the topic of this one is...

That's right, magic people! Specifically wizards, warlocks, witches, illusionists, some alchemists, elementalists, summoners, sorcerers, necromancers and mathemagicians! And if there's another type that does spells, then him or her too.

OK, for the detailed info, read below. The brief version is this: send me a list of your 25 favourite magic users from fiction and the real world. After the deadline, I tabulate them and then post them. Then we talk about what made it and the magic men we love so much.

So if you want to participates, here's the how to..., it's as easy as one, two, three... and then onward to 25.

1. Think of a list of 25 magic users (to see what counts, check the rules below, but I'm pretty open to most suggestions). Rank them in order of your favorites.

2. Send me a PM of said list. Please don't share it with anyone else until the final list has been revealed. If you can't make a complete list, that's fine. Just send what you can.

3. That's basically it on your end. However, if you are done before the deadline and there's suddenly a change you want to make on your list, you can submit as many revisions you want before the deadline. After the deadline that's... probably it (there is some wiggle room, but after a day, it would probably completely mess up my calculations. And I am slow at math).

4. Now the ball's in Johnny Unusual's court! I take all of your votes, tabulate them and then make a list. Points are distributed are based on the ranking. It works like this (I'll use a sample list of 25)

#1. Sam the Necromancer (25 points)
#2. Guillermo the Necromancer (24 Points)
#3 Ives the Necromancer (23 points)
#25. Sam the Lesser the Necromancer (1 Point)

If your list is incomplete, that's fine, but please note this means the list is worth less (but not worthless). So if you have a list of 13.

#1. Sam the White Mage (13 Points)
#2. Guillermo the White Mage (12 Points)
#3. Ives the Red Mage (11 Points)
#13. Sam the Lesser the White Mage (1 Point)

But every point counts, so please don't feel deterred from your small pool in your head.

5. After I tabulate, I will start the list, usually posting 5 to 10 entries a day. Each post will explain the character and so forth. I find it more fun than just plopping a list down, it's better to explore the appeal of each one. Keep in mind "a day" might be different for me than you, as I am in China right now.

Rules:
1. Again, make a list of 25, they are worth points inversely to their ranking. And again, you don't need to send a complete list. It is preferable, but not necessary.

Are you having trouble thinking of magic users? These lists might help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ans_in_fantasy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_witches
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_magicians

2. Try not to vote for groups (for example, guilds or houses or schools or so on). The aim to to vote for individual characters. This also includes duos. HOWEVER, if the duos (or trios) are essentially inseparable, then that's fine. For example, let's say the topic was top Simpsons characters instead. I would ask you not to submit "Smithers and Burns" as a single entry. But Sherri and Terri would be. The lines get blurred with Lenny and Carl and Patty and Selma, who started off as inseparable duos but eventually became their own characters. I'd definitely lean towards making them individual entries, but it can be open for debate.

3. Speaking of debate, what counts as a magic user? Well, not necessarily magic power. For example Thor from Marvel comics wields and is imbued with magic powers but he doesn't "use magic" in the traditional sense. There needs to be a sense that the magic is something that is controlled by them, rather than simply being gifted it. There should be a sense of craft (it is called spell craft). There are a few exceptions of innate magic users which we can debate her, but I think we can debate most of them here.

In addition, we will include "real world magicians", both the kind that are basically illusionists in the rabbit from the hat sense as well as people who take part in ceremonial magic (I can think of several writers who are practicing magicians, though I think in most cases it is more a symbolic usage of magic rather than literal, either way, they can count). I just want to open it up for the sake of fun.

Anyway feel free to debate or ad to any of these points. My ears are and mind is open.

4. Please do not post your list here, at least until the final list is fully posted. If you want to reveal a certain ranking when that character shows up in the list, that's fine but please hold the complete list back until it is done. Part of it is I don't really want people to get together or be influenced to put a character higher just because you want him higher. Try to make the list based on your favorites rather than trying to predict the outcome. That said, you ask questions like "does this count" and talk casually about stuff. Just don't say "OK, let's try to get So-And-So to number one" (especially since she is SUCH a number 32.)

OK, so I think that covers it, though now I fear I'm forgetting something in this behemoth.

Oh, the deadline! The Deadline is June 3rd, 2015 EDIT: I'm moving it back to June 6th, because I'm a bit busy. Please try to get your lists in before then. Now it's June 9th, do to popular (one guy) demand. If there are any questions and comments, please ask below.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 06-03-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:04 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Shouldnt this be in the pit?
Old 05-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Dinger!

I think it's here because it's a forum game, like Mafia.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:19 AM
Banned

What definition of "game" are you using, because there's no winning and no strategy... so...

(derailing threads to discuss their categorganization is standard on TT right?!)
Old 05-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild View Post
What definition of "game" are you using, because there's no winning and no strategy... so...

(derailing threads to discuss their categorganization is standard on TT right?!)
I am using the definition that includes neither of those things.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:57 PM
EARTH FOREVER

I'm not sure if I can bring myself to rank the wizards.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks for noticing me

I'm not sure I can name 25 wizards.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:59 PM
TARANTUL

I don't think I can not name 25 wizards.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:18 PM
actually an eevee

I got up to 15 easily off the top of my head, but I have to start going through my goodreads list to get to 25.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:33 PM
💀S☠K💀E☠L💀E☠T💀O☠N💀

THE ONLY GOOD WIZARD IS A DEAD WIZARD
KILL ALL WIZARDS.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:17 PM
#deadfish2017

List finished and sent. That was more fun to put together than I had expected. Excited to see the results.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:21 PM

Good lists so far. I'm looking forward to see the results, too. Without giving anything away, I'm seeing stuff I would never have thought of. I always like that.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:32 AM

List sent. Spent way too much time pondering on the last third. With that said,

Old 05-24-2015, 10:27 PM
Banned

My list is submitted!
Old 05-25-2015, 11:12 PM

Awesome. We are up to 10! Not including mine, which is probably going to come close to the deadline since I am working on another of these on a different forum, which has just reached it's deadline. The topic there is 80's TV shows and... people still like Alf. Also, it's not against the rules, but to people who voted for Simpsons as a top 80's show: unless you really LOVED the Christmas special, come on.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:15 PM
:O

only one wizard

only buff wizard
Old 05-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Not a Beer

Hmm, do benders (Avatar, Korra) count? The power was original gifted by spirits and the basic ability is to a large degree innate, but you generally have to train to use it effectively.

Also, Force users?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:13 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Also, Force users?
OH NO! I forgot about the Space Wizards!?!?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:19 PM
le petite mort

How long do we have for this round?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Old 05-27-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
How long do we have for this round?
The deadline is Wednesday, but I've been busy as of late, so it's possible there is be an extension. But for now, until Wednesday ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Hmm, do benders (Avatar, Korra) count? The power was original gifted by spirits and the basic ability is to a large degree innate, but you generally have to train to use it effectively.

Also, Force users?
This is a tricky one, isn't it? In Avatar itself, they specifically say "this isn't magic". But I'm still willing to except it if your view is "oh, yes it is." Personally, I am on the no side for Avatar but if you disagree, I am totally excepting them (there are always going to be figures who blur the lines on these lists.) The reason I hum and haw over benders (it is tricky) is also because it can be comparable to anime characters who can use their ki/chi/chakra/nen/sovereignty (that's what they call it in One Piece, right? I'm way behind)/soma, etc.), most of whom I most certainly wouldn't think of as wizards. BUT at the same time, it isn't something you get good at merely by muscling up (not even Earth benders, entirely) and yes, requires a lot of craft and a connection to the spiritual realm. So this is a tricky one. But I will say, if anyone is a "wizard" it is Aang, because his role as Avatar effectively makes him a shaman. That's pretty wizardy, I think.

So if you think of benders that way, that's completely fine. You should vote for them.

You can send in force users too. I also don't think of them as wizards (though, come on, Palpatine and Yoda are total wizards), but doesn't someone that Darth strangles specifically (and mockingly) refer to him as a wizard or something?

So, also OK.

Just so long as you don't stretch things to the point of breaking, I'll probably be cool with it. And it will probably lead to some interesting debate when said characters make it.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 PM
Thanks for noticing me

Does Inigo Montoya count as a wizard for the purposes of this list?
Old 05-27-2015, 06:49 PM
This Guy

He is specifically rated as a wizard for is swordsmanship.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:28 PM
disguised king of surfing

I think if any list has unallowed characters, it'll be mine

(Psst, Johnny, can you let me know if any of my submissions aren't allowed?)
Old 05-27-2015, 09:10 PM

Double checked. Some of the characters I don't know, but it sure looks fine to me.

Wait, is your number zero just an honorable mention? I'm a little unclear on that.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 AM
Programmed to Jingle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
THE ONLY GOOD WIZARD IS A DEAD WIZARD
KILL ALL WIZARDS.
That only makes them Lichs.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 AM

See, if I was BEAT, then I'd retort with "Liches get stitches!" You can keep that one, BEAT.

EDIT: BTW, the deadline is getting pushed back to the June the 6th, due to my business. Interesting, my own list will probably be hitting the wire.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 05-31-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:58 AM

A few days left for anyone still interested. We have a decent number right now, but more would be great!
Old 06-03-2015, 02:14 PM
le petite mort

Can we push it past the 8th?
Old 06-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Ruffian

Oops, just noticed this thread. Will be submitting my (probably short) list soon!

Also, good job on that opening post. The Simpsons pic attracted my attention, and the second one ensured I stayed long enough to read the rest of the text.

Tags
nobody beats the wiz , wiz biz , wizards