The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 12-12-2015, 05:37 PM
bunch of bozos

Default Here's your chance, do your dance, it's the... TOP 50 ANIMATED FILMS!!!

The votes are in, and All You Tyrants voted for a whopping 247 different films (and film-alikes), from a wide range of eras and animation styles.
Some of your votes were even for films made in countries other than America or Japan!
But don't worry, those votes were immediately discarded.

So, which cartoons were popular enough to earn coveted spaces in our Top 50?
Watch this thread to find out!

It's time for...

Old 12-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Programmed to Jingle

I am so excited to learn how slam has been jammed into just fifty spots.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:53 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I didn't vote for a single one!

Cartoons are for babies.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:21 PM
bunch of bozos

61 points

The oldest film on this list. In fact, it’s so old that it predates established rules about pluralizing English words!
Or, perhaps, as some film historians have suggested, the titular Dwarfs are simply a family, whose surname is Dwarf.
Dopey (pictured below) is most likely the mother, due to her gorgeous eyelashes and lack of beard.

It is also the first full length cel-animated feature film in history, and during its production, the fat cats in Hollywood knew it would be a disaster.
But a fellow by the name of Wilt Dimsey thought he knew better, and mortgaged his house to help cover the costs.
Those costs turned out to be nearly 1.5 million 1934 dollars, which, adjusted for inflation, is more money than currently exists on Planet Earth.

About the film, Rotten Tomatoes 'super reviewer' Bob S says, simply, “shenlong,” and gives the film three and a half stars. Heck, who are we to argue?

Choice quote: “Hah! Women! A fine kettle of fish.” – Grumpy Dwarf

Last edited by Double Dracula; 12-12-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:42 PM
bunch of bozos

61 points

The heartwarming tale of 14-year-old Shizuku Tsukishima (or, Sally Thompson, if you prefer the English dub),
a Tokyo bookworm who finds a cat on a train and sings a respectable rendition of a John Denver song in an antiques shop.

It is notable for being the only Studio Ghibli production directed by the late Yoshifumi Kondo, who had been slated to be Hayao Miyazaki’s successor.

On her blog, Rosalyn writes (entirely on her cell phone—impressive!), “People who walk alone and pursue their dreams may be inspired and find this film relatable.
Romantics, artists and book lovers also may find themselves liking this film as well as inspired.
PS. Another great classic from Studio Ghibli! There are also plenty of homage paid to previous Studio Ghibli films in this one!”

About the film, Rotten Tomatoes ‘super reviewer’ Dead Angel says “This was a cute movie ” and gives the film three and a half stars.
Coming from someone as notoriously stodgy as Dead Angel, that says a lot about the film’s enduring whimsy.

Choice quote: “I decided to read over twenty books during the summer vacation and the city library doesn't have the book I want.” - Shizuku
Old 12-12-2015, 07:42 PM
oh my car

"Dwarves" is a Tolkienism; "dwarfs" is the correct term when you're talking about the authentic mythological/folkloric kind, whereas "dwarves" is for the Middle-Earth or at least D&D kind.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:45 PM
#deadfish2017

Dang in 50th huh? This is going to be a good list.

Quote:
The oldest film on this list.
Welp, there go two of mine. :/
Old 12-12-2015, 07:48 PM
oh my car

And one of mine.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Programmed to Jingle

And none of mine.

Wave of the future, baby!
Old 12-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Thanks for noticing me

Man, there are only like one or two animated films in the world older than Snow White.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:57 PM
bunch of bozos

61 points

If you’ve never seen this film, I strongly recommend it, especially at this time of year.
Since watching it for the first time years ago, it’s become one of my favorite Christmas movies.

On Christmas Eve, three homeless misfits find a newborn baby while rummaging through garbage.
What follows is an all-night chase through Tokyo’s seedy underbelly, featuring Yakuza, drag queen clubs, and street thugs.
But the film is also full of quiet moments of humanity, laugh-out-loud sequences, beautiful coincidences, and maybe even a miracle or two.
It is certainly director Satoshi Kon’s most touching work.

About the film, Rotten Tomatoes ‘super reviewer’ Robert C says “A 'delightful' little Christams story.
Beats the hell out of that horrible ‘It's A Wonderful Life’.” He gives the film three and a half stars. Pow! Take that, Jimmy Stewart!

Choice quote: “I always wanted to die drunk in a nice, old house. I'm halfway there.” – Aged Man
Old 12-12-2015, 09:02 PM
Little Waves

I missed the window to send in my list, but Whisper of the Heart woud have been my number one.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:22 PM
till the sheriff stops by

I've seen Snow White but while it's gorgeous it didn't make my list. I haven't seen many Ghibli movies and no Satoshi Kon movies yet. Will have to remedy that in the future.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:43 PM
#deadfish2017

I can't believe this list is already mostly anime.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Ruffian

I've never even heard of the last two films. I've only seen a handful of Japanese animated films and none of them made my list.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:09 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I can't believe this list is already mostly anime.
We've only seen 6% of the list so far so perhaps we (and by we I mean you) shouldn't jump to conclusions.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:29 PM
oh my car

That sounds like anime nominator talk to me.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:31 PM
bunch of bozos

61 points

Well if there’s one genre that’s even more insufferable than anime, it’s Shrek films, and here we have the Shrekkest film to appear on our list (so far!).

It’s hard to remember now, but there was a time, not so very long ago, when the world still held affection for Mike Myers.
He has since been banished to the Land of Wind and Ghosts, of course, and we have collectively agreed to never again impersonate any of his characters.
But for every great lesson that humanity eventually learns, there must always first be an impetus. So, begrudgingly... Thank you, Shrek.

Here’s what I remember most about this movie. I watched it as a youngster with my family, and my dear mother loved the bit where the talking donkey says,
“I’m makin’ waffles.” Oh how she laughed, and repeated the line (often apropos of nothing!) in the years to follow.
I failed to see why that was such a mesmerizing bit of entertainment for her, but, to each their own, I suppose.
I think that sums up my experience with the entire Shrekiverse pretty nicely.

About the film, Rotten Tomatoes ‘super reviewer’ michael e. says, “i loved it when i first saw it but the more i watched it, the more i started to dislike it.”
Yet, with a heart full of generosity, he still goes on to give it two and a half stars. We’re with you, michael e. Life is full of disappointments.

Choice quote: “[Repeated line] ROAR!” - Shrek
Old 12-12-2015, 11:07 PM
#deadfish2017

Real talk I voted for Shrek.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Thanks for noticing me

The universe of Shrek is fairly obnoxious but I like Shrek as a character a lot, actually. There was something refreshing about a character who is honestly an antisocial loner who isn't portrayed as secretly miserable, and the movie doesn't set out to prove that he was somehow wrong for feeling this way.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:11 PM
bunch of bozos

A lot of people did! Hence those 61 points.

But hey...

Old 12-12-2015, 11:26 PM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
I failed to see why that was such a mesmerizing bit of entertainment for her, but, to each their own, I suppose.
My parents do this too. The one line that jumps to mind is Iago saying, "Squeeze him, Jafar..."

They just kind of say it for no reason every once in a while.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:28 PM
#deadfish2017

Parents are like onions.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:35 PM
oh my car

Shrek itself is an excellent film that was on my list. Shrek's sequels are responsible for the fact that this outcome is a surprise, however; they only approach the quality of the original in the parts where they're rehashing it, and they all back away from its message.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:16 AM

RIP Kon(do)

Yea, Shrek the first's a legit good film; I also enjoyed the second film in spurts. Love all the featured films so far, although only Whisper is on my list (mostly due to self-imposed Kon/Disney quota...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I missed the window to send in my list, but Whisper of the Heart woud have been my number one.
It genuinely moved me on a personal level, despite (because?) everything about the story being so low-key. Glad to see there are other big fans; I always thought this was one of the most overlooked Ghibli.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:18 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Message aside, I found Shrek to be off putting. I've been told the second one is the best but I'm not planning on finding out anytime soon.

No DreamWorks movies made my list. I always think they look bad before they're out, and even the ones I've watched and ended up liking never blew me away.

Also kicking myself for forgetting about Tokyo Godfathers, especially since I had to leave off Perfect Blue since it never had a theatrical release.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:20 AM
bunch of bozos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
I always thought this was one of the most overlooked Ghibli.
Definitely one of them. But the Most Overlooked has to be Only Yesterday, which I think is the most subdued, and loveliest Ghibli film. I think it's coming out in English soon, or came out soon, but if anyone hasn't seen it (especially fans of Whisper of the Heart), please do check it out. It's wonderful.

NOTE: I know not enough of y'all dudes have seen it, because I was the only darn person who voted for it!

See also: Tekkonkinkreet.

hash tag spoiler alert
Old 12-13-2015, 12:25 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
Message aside, I found Shrek to be off putting. I've been told the second one is the best but I'm not planning on finding out anytime soon.
You were told wrong.

I meant to put Tokyo Godfathers on my list but then forgot. =^_^=
Old 12-13-2015, 12:26 AM
oh my car

There was no room for Whisper of the Heart on my list, but I dug heavily of it and I will vouch.
Old 12-13-2015, 12:27 AM

Oh, I've seen and loved Only Yesterday too, but I already have two Takahata's on my list and, uh, need to make space for some crazy-ass cat thingy....

Tags
and you hit em low , animation , animeshaming , best of talking time , cartoons , come on and slam , hit em high , lousy with anime , slam bam thank you m'am , slam with the best , spacejamshaming , strength of a bear , studio ghibli: the list , this thread is ogre , top 50 countdown , welcome to the space jam