The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Default Just one more: The top 51 snack foods

Welcome one and all. Pull up a chair, open up a bag, and snack with us.

I want to get a few things out of the way before we get started. First, some of the divisions made in this list will be controversial. Some similar items have been split into multiple entries; others haven't. Additionally, I kind of screwed this up: I had meant to subdivide anything that wouldn't result in it being knocked off the top 50. I didn't do this in some cases, and I'll point those out as we go. But in large part, this list is a long series of judgment calls. You may disagree with these calls, and it's your right as an Internet citizen to voice your discontent.

Second, while I don't want to spoil this list for you, potato chips are the top snack food. If there is not some variety of thinly-sliced potato that you enjoy, you are in the minority. We will see more than a few of these by the time we are done. I feel it is appropriate to call your attention to this matter early on so that we can provide a proper frame of reference for this list.

Assisting in this list from time to time will be my three children: Weston, age 6, has an odd preference for fruits and vegetables; Bug (not her real name, but she self-identifies as an arthropod), age 4, is a picky eater; and Bryce, age 2 as of a few weeks ago, enjoys more traditional fare. Let's give our panel of judges a round of applause.

And with that, let's begin.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:09 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Ruffles Cheddar and Sour Cream Chips

30 points from 2 votes
Highest score: 17 points (Taeryn)

Ruffles offers their Cheddar and Sour Cream potato chips in regular and baked varieties, and for my money, baked is much better. Look at that: they even have 65% less fat!

Either way, you're getting a smooth, cheddary chip experience. This is an oddly specific product relative to most of the rest of the list, but they're quite good, so I can see why more than one of you decided to call them out by name.

Judges say: I was a little surprised when I realized what this item was. This is Bryce's all-time favorite snack, and Bug is a big fan of them, too. Later splits bumped this one out of the top 50, but the honorable mention is too appropriate to pass on.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:11 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Yay, we are started. Now I miss having sour cream flavoured chips.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:23 AM
Ruffian

Yay, I can't wait to see what gross foods you all voted for. This is off to a great start.

I'm in the minority who doesn't like potato chips, mostly because I hate salt.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:32 AM
Cool Bunny

Love the thread title/list length combo. I'll be interested to see how this shakes out. I barely remember my list, but I think a lot of it was fairly Australia specific, so I doubt I'll see much. Also I submitted my list, then ate a peach and realised I hadn't included any fruit and felt deeply ashamed.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:43 AM
bunch of bozos

One snack food in and I already am finding out that right before dinner is not the correct time to be looking at this thread.

Last edited by Double Dracula; 03-29-2016 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Look at that: they even have 65% less fat!
Than what?

Also, I'm looking forward to more of Weston, Bryce and Bug's opinion but I'm hoping this goes quicker than the previous list (still good, but I would like a literal change of pace).
Old 03-29-2016, 07:19 AM
-ryn

Quote:
Judges say: This is Bryce's all-time favorite snack, and Bug is a big fan of them, too.
High fives to Bryce and Bug! They are really good and my 2nd favorite traditional potato chip. (my favorite being a regional brand that most likely won't be on the list)
Old 03-29-2016, 07:28 AM
Sudden chomper

This is going to be complete anarchy, but I'm interested in seeing how it all unfolds.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:09 AM
#deadfish2017

Is there really a difference between chips? All I know is there's 3 kinds of chip:
  • Potato
  • Tortilla
  • Sun (garbage)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:17 AM
is Earnest

We haven't even gotten to the first entry and I already want to run out and buy snacks.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:35 AM
-ryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Is there really a difference between chips? All I know is there's 3 kinds of chip:
  • Potato
  • Tortilla
  • Sun (garbage)
Sun chips are for ducks.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:50 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
First, some of the divisions made in this list will be controversial. Some similar items have been split into multiple entries; others haven't. Additionally, I kind of screwed this up: I had meant to subdivide anything that wouldn't result in it being knocked off the top 50. I didn't do this in some cases, and I'll point those out as we go. But in large part, this list is a long series of judgment calls.
There was no way that this wasn't going to be the case. Even though I'm looking forward to the results, I didn't ever vote for snacks as a topic because I couldn't see any way that it wouldn't just be anarchy. I doubt anyone envies you the task of trying to extract a fair list out of what was submitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dracula View Post
One snack food in and I already am finding out that right before dinner is not the correct time to be looking at this thread.
QFT
Old 03-29-2016, 09:03 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Tim Tams

31 points from 2 votes
Highest score: 21 points (MCBanjoMike)

Tim Tams are a chocolate, chocolate-covered, and chocolate-filled cookie sandwich that originated from Australia. Wikipedia has the following to say about them:
Quote:
A Tim Tam is composed of two layers of chocolate malted biscuit, separated by a light chocolate cream filling, and coated in a thin layer of textured chocolate.

The Tim Tam Slam (also known as the Tim Tam Shotgun, Tim Tam Bomb, Tim Tam Explosion and Tim Tam Suck) is the practice of drinking a hot beverage through a Tim Tam. Opposite corners of the Tim Tam are bitten off, one end is submerged in the beverage, and the beverage sucked through the biscuit - as though the Tim Tam itself is a straw. The crisp interior biscuit is eventually softened and the outer chocolate coating begins to melt, at which point the biscuit is eaten. The Tim Tam Slam can also be performed with cold (usually milk-based) beverages.
I can say with some degree of confidence that none of the other items on this list have a Suck named after them. I am less confident that I have ever seen one of these, but they do look tasty.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:20 AM
kill

Why aren't these snack threads in the food subforum?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:23 AM
Dinger!

Ooh Tim Tams are a good choice. I don't have enough experience with them to have bren able to put them on my list, but I've liked what I've tried.
#deadfish2017

Candy straws usually blow but these look cool. Prob because they're not straws.

On the other hand, Australian candy...... What's to say they're not filled with spiders?
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
Is this a joke? Are you having a laff?
Old 03-29-2016, 09:25 AM
is Earnest

Tim Tam's look delicious. I love seeing what candy is available in other countries. When I was a kid we'd get Irish candy every now and then and it was always exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagohod View Post
All of the contest threads are in the meatspace games forum.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:33 AM
Sudden chomper

As the foremost booster of the Tim Tam, I want to make it clear that under no circumstances should you eat one without performing a Slam. By themselves, they are somewhat ordinary chocolate cookies. But running piping-hot tea or coffee through them turns them into a melty crucible of deliciousness, the likes of which your taste buds have never seen.

It also kills the spiders.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:35 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
The Tim Tam Slam can also be performed with cold (usually milk-based) beverages.
DAMNABLE LIES
Old 03-29-2016, 09:36 AM
For blood and gold

Looks like even my #1 vote for my legit #1 snack wouldn't have gotten it on this list. A shame.

It was Chakalis / Chakris / Murruku. These:

So good.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:39 AM

Tim Tams are pretty delicious. I don't get to have them very often but I love 'em when I do.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Snickers

31 points from 5 votes
Highest score: 9 points (RT-55J)

I just realized that this tied with the previous entry. I also just realized that I totally missed a dozen other ties on this list. I noticed exactly one of them.

So... you'll have to mentally rearrange some of these numbers. Just know that in the eyes of God and Talking Time, Snickers are no better than Tim Tams.

Anyway, how about the actual product we're ostensibly discussing here? Snickers is a chocolate-covered bar of nougat, caramel, and peanuts. You've probably eaten one before.

Judges say: When I was a kid, I think I preferred Milky Ways and 3 Musketeers to Snickers. My opinion has definitely reversed, but the kids still seem to be in that phase. Snickers: the gentleman's candy bar.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:13 AM
Spear of Justice

Snickers are normally just okay, but Snickers with ice cream inside are the best.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:19 AM
#deadfish2017

Snickers make my teeth hurt
Old 03-29-2016, 10:21 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Is this a joke? Are you having a laff?
Someone needs to keep the sacred traditions alive.

Quote:
I just realized that this tied with the previous entry. I also just realized that I totally missed a dozen other ties on this list. I noticed exactly one of them.

So... you'll have to mentally rearrange some of these numbers. Just know that in the eyes of God and Talking Time, Snickers are no better than Tim Tams.
In previous lists, ties were resolved in favour of the item with more distinct votes, which would hold true here. Perhaps you did it that way and then subsequently forgot?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:42 AM
Not a Beer

I the previous contest, 16 or my entries made it to the final list. In this one, I'll be impressed if I hit more than two or three. I went... a little obscure on some. Most.

Still, I plan to enjoy it. And mostly read it just before meals. Speaking of which, it's time for lunch...
Old 03-29-2016, 11:02 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pears

33 points from 2 votes
Highest score: 19 points (Patrick)

Popular variants: Asian pears (14 points)

Pears have to be the single most inoffensive fruit on the planet. Take a look at any juice cocktail or fruit-in-syrup and odds are excellent there's pear juice in there. This is because pear juice has essentially no flavor at all.

Pears made the list by the good graces of JBear's vote for the Asian pear, which is a rounder, whiter fruit with a crisper texture. In China, it is considered unseemly to share a pear with a good friend (but OK to share with a mere acquaintance or stranger). The only reason for this, as far as I can tell, is that "share a pear" and "separate" are homonyms in Chinese. The Chinese seem to do this a lot.

Personally, give me a stone fruit -- any stone fruit -- over a pear any day of the week, although I can't deny enjoying the occasional pear. Juicy Pear is also the best Jelly Belly flavor, and I will fight anyone who disagrees.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:09 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Juicy Pear is also the best Jelly Belly flavor
100% true statement up in here

Tags
bertollice , c is for cookie , classy jbear pics , food , jeremiah camembert , munchies , olive oil , popato chisps , salt , snacks , top 50 , top 50 countdown